De Gea Replacement - Do not use for player performance chat

Idxomer

It would be mental to give him 20m to stay another year when the club has an option to get rid of his insane wages and pathetic displays.

No one will even be giving him 10m/year if he's a free agent.

spe88

Wouldn’t say he’s our next priority.

I’d say the following order is what we should be prioritising:

RW
RB
CM
ST
GK

izec

Be interesting to see what we do with De Gea, out of contract next summer though we have an option for another year

Feel the smart thing to do would be for the club to be looking for a long term number 1 now with a view to getting them in next summer, sell Henderson to cover some of the fee (as I never want to see Henderson in the shirt again) and extend De Gea for the extra year and have him as number 2 before letting him leave on a free in 2024
it makes no sense to have De Gea as second choice on 375k a week for another year when not needed. Plus he is not suited to the system. Best is to let him go on a free next summer.

We buy now a good keeper that can instantly take over for the season and be a backup/rotation keeper for a few years then add next summer a long term no 1, release De Gea.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
A keeper I’d like to see United monitoring is Gavin Bazunu at Southampton, who they bought from Man City during the summer.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Be interesting to see what we do with De Gea, out of contract next summer though we have an option for another year

Feel the smart thing to do would be for the club to be looking for a long term number 1 now with a view to getting them in next summer, sell Henderson to cover some of the fee (as I never want to see Henderson in the shirt again) and extend De Gea for the extra year and have him as number 2 before letting him leave on a free in 2024
If we're bringing in a long term replacement for De Gea then I think we're better off just getting rid of him at that point. The new guy doesn't need the extra pressure of the former #1 with 500-odd appearances lurking about the place.

To my mind the best course is to bring in a GK this season who can immediately compete with De Gea and be a longer term #2. Then next season let De Gea leave for free and bring in the longer term first choice pick, selling Henderson to help fund it.

My worry would be that we either try Henderson again even though he isn't really good enough or extend De Gea's contract (in one way or another) to try and get a fee for him.

Also letting him leave on a free next season would be best for De Gea too, and I'm inclined to be as respectful as possible in terms of how we show him the door.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
it makes no sense to have De Gea as second choice on 375k a week for another year when not needed. Plus he is not suited to the system. Best is to let him go on a free next summer.

We buy now a good keeper that can instantly take over for the season and be a backup/rotation keeper for a few years then add next summer a long term no 1, release De Gea.
If we're bringing in a long term replacement for De Gea then I think we're better off just getting rid of him at that point. The new guy doesn't need the extra pressure of the former #1 with 500-odd appearances lurking about the place.

To my mind the best course is to bring in a GK this season who can immediately compete with De Gea and be a longer term #2. Then next season let De Gea leave for free and bring in the longer term first choice pick, selling Henderson to help fund it.

My worry would be that we either try Henderson again even though he isn't really good enough or extend De Gea's contract (in one way or another) to try and get a fee for him.

Also letting him leave on a free next season would be best for De Gea too, and I'm inclined to be as respectful as possible in terms of how we show him the door.
we're not bringing in a new number 1 this summer, we've barely managed to upgrade the midfield

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
we're not bringing in a new number 1 this summer, we've barely managed to upgrade the midfield
I know we're not. As I said, we should be bringing in a #2 this summer. One like Yan Sommer, say, who has the capacity to at least challenge if not supplant De Gea because he's better suited to the way ETH wants to play.

A long term #1 will have to wait until next summer. At which point De Gea can go, because we won't need him as a #2.

Rauður Djöfull

Hoping we bring in Yann Sommer now fight for the place and to take over, get rid of De Gea next summer and sign someone to battle out with Sommer for 23/24 season

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Still people on here wanting another CB. Jesus wept how blind can you be to reality… :lol:
Exactly. Buying centre back after centre back won’t make DDG any better. Changing the goalkeeper could make the defence better though

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Plus, leaving aside anything else, De Gea is in the final year of his contract.

So even if we believed CB, RB , CF or any other position was more of a problem, the timing of that contract expiry means the time for making a call on what we're doing with De Gea is nigh.

Oranges038

Think City have a buy-back on him.
Yeah, looked it up and they do. Can't find any details on it, sometimes they only become active after a certain period of time or if they meet certain criteira.

I'd definitely be keeping an eye on it.

Reiver

Plus, leaving aside anything else, De Gea is in the final year of his contract.

So even if we believed CB, RB , CF or any other position was more of a problem, the timing of that contract expiry means the time for making a call on what we're doing with De Gea is nigh.
Agreed. Surely we won't extend his contract for another year?

RopersReturn

Speaking of upgrades ,we missed a real opportunity not signing Nick Pope. He’d have been a vast improvement.

RopersReturn

Holding onto DeGea for 11 years, smacks of sentimentality. He was never a replacement for VDS.

Alemar

So what about Maignan, were there rumours of our interest? He is better than Diogo Costa

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
The number of times Nick Pope has come off his line in this game is so impressive, any modern team needs that sort of cover for the defence

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
But we’re loyalty and massive contract fc so we won’t
The whole slur followed by FC line has to be one of the most overplayed, tiresome and immature trends on the Caf this last year. Sorry, I’m probably being harsh on you, but it’s every thread now. Say what you want to say about the club then add FC on the end, so clever! fecking yawn.

Lecland07

Should have been Pope - £10m for a much better goalkeeper - missed out. I don't see who else we can get without spending a lot of money now.

crossy1686

career ending
Should have been Pope - £10m for a much better goalkeeper - missed out. I don't see who else we can get without spending a lot of money now.
We can’t, and we’d have to go all in on a keeper aged 21-23 which would be a gamble. Look at how Chelsea have done gambling on keepers over the last few years, none look up to it

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
The number of times Nick Pope has come off his line in this game is so impressive, any modern team needs that sort of cover for the defence
Yes, quality keeping. There’s so much more to being a keeper than shot stopping. It’s stopping situations before they lead to a shot. A decisive keeper that commands his area breeds confidence throughout his defence. De Gea has always been a superb shot stopper, but he doesn’t offer anything else. In fact his phobia of coming off his line creates panic in our defence. He is a throwback keeper who looks out of place in this era.

Lee565

We don't need a great shot stopper, we need one that can fit in with ten hag's philosophy, even when pep first went to man City he could of easily stuck with Joe Hart who had served man City well up until that point but instead pep opted for bravo who was error prone as a goalkeeper and pep got stick for choosing him over hart but bravo was able to allow pep to lay out his philosophy quicker than what hart would have.

Ten hag is screwed implementing his philosophy all the time de gea is in goal.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Sommer will come if we assure him he'll be first choice on day 1.

ForeverRed1

The whole slur followed by FC line has to be one of the most overplayed, tiresome and immature trends on the Caf this last year. Sorry, I’m probably being harsh on you, but it’s every thread now. Say what you want to say about the club then add FC on the end, so clever! fecking yawn.
It’s a forum and we can say what we like. Don’t like it just scroll on buddy. Putting fecking yawn at the end of something to prove a point is hardly original in itself, so what’s your fecking point. Fecking Yawnnnmnn.

just go back to commenting on football.

Traub

Moaners FC right here.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
"Slur FC" FC

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
It’s a forum and we can say what we like. Don’t like it just scroll on buddy. Putting fecking yawn at the end of something to prove a point is hardly original in itself, so what’s your fecking point. Fecking Yawnnnmnn.

just go back to commenting on football.
You can put what you like, you’re right. Just like I can point out how tired and immature it is.

The Oracle

Sky Sports are currently running programmes on their channels to celebrate 30 years of the Premier League.

'PL 30: Aguero Wins City The Title'

...is the episode I've just watched.

Going into the Manchester derby, City were 3 points behind Utd.

After the derby, they were level on points with Utd, thanks to a Vincent Kompany header from inside Utd's 6 yard box.
A goal that came about from a corner that was swung into the 6 yard box, and David De Gea HESITATED about claiming the cross, and instead RETREATED back to his goal line. Kompany then powered a header past him in the centre of the goal.

Fast forward 10 years and what has changed in De Gea's game?

NOTHING

All of his shortcomings and lack of bravery are still the same now as they was back then.

He never commanded his 6 yard box back then, and he still doesn't command his 6 yard box now.

It's absolutely disgraceful that he has been allowed to remain the No.1 keeper at Manchester United for over a decade.

He is pathetic!

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
The fascination with Pope is strange. He's an excellent shot stopper with superb command but he gives David a run for his money based on how poor his distribution is.

Sanchez is the guy we should be looking at if we're thinking about recruiting from another PL club.

marktan

We need a ball playing CM, a RW, a striker (since Martial is rarely available) and even a RB before we need a GK.

One bad game doesn't mean the end of the world, De Gea isn't at the godly levels he was once at but he's still comfortably better than 99% of keepers we could realistically get. We saw with Henderson that the problem with these ball playing GKs like Ederson is that they usually aren't very good shot stoppers. Then you have likes of the Brighton keeper Sanchez, Meslier, Guita etc who are good at both but not great enough (yet for the younger ones) to really be worth replacing De Gea with.

His contract expires in around 2 years? That would be a good time to line up a replacement. Easiest solution would be to hope Henderson has a great season at Forest and then give him the no.1 spot with De Gea on the bench if we take up the extra year on his contract. We don't have the funds to spend 50m on a keeper when we still need to fix so many positions.

Witchking

We currently have the same problem that Liverpool had.

Liverpool needed a top quality defender which they got in Vvd. We haven't yet got that.

Then they needed a replace their goal keeper. The GK was a blind spot for them as it is a blind spot for us right now.

Till we sort it out, we are not going to be a top club again.