De Gea Replacement - Do not use for player performance chat

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Easily the next priority in my opinion. I think the club thought he'd be fine for a year with last year's form, but i think with De Gea, it's clear how he's going to be this year, and it'll be more like 2018-2021 rather than last season (where he still had significant weaknesses). He's been shite in both games and directly at fault for goals in both. And I think there's more of that to come from him unfortunately.

So I guess the question is who is out there for us that has what we need as a goalkeeper, who could realistically leave, what cost, etc.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I’d say a CB is probably needed more, with a solid spine, no one should get near the keeper ideally. Maguire is still the weak link. Should trial Varane and martinez with Casemiro in front. Do think this season might be de gea last as number 1 with Henderson taking over next year.

Oranges038

I'd give it a year by bringing in a realistic stop gap and go and sign Bazunu next summer.

Judas

Open to offers
For me it's understated just how critical this is to our success going forward. We must do something about the GK situation this window, but as usual we've left it very late.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
For me it's understated just how critical this is to our success going forward. We must do something about the GK situation this window, but as usual we've left it very late.
Exactly, it’s like a thorn in the back of our defenders.

SemirTuce10

Supports
Velež
Not even close, so sad people see just what they want to see when things go bad way. Mess in every position we have and DDG should be priority...amazing.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I’d say a CB is probably needed more, with a solid spine, no one should get near the keeper ideally. Maguire is still the weak link. Should trial Varane and martinez with Casemiro in front. Do think this season might be de gea last as number 1 with Henderson taking over next year.
Part of the reason opposition teams get at our keeper so much is because De Gea doesn't do anything remotely proactive to stop chances developing. Doesn't matter how strong our defence or midfield is, they'll still be hamstrung by having a keeper behind them that doesn't come out to sweep up through balls, doesn't claim crosses, doesn't make himself available to receive the ball when we have possession, panics and makes bad decisions with his passing when he does have it, doesn't communicate, and actively goes out of his way to avoid contact so he doesn't get hurt.

Zed 101

I would still want to give Henderson a shot, but it seems like he has burnt some bridges at OT,

whoever replaces DDG I hope it is somebody who has command of the area, I am not blaming DDG for our defence but having a keeper that sits on his line and never comes more than a few feet off it creates a problem in defence, a keeper with good command of the area is like having an extra defender, especially for corners and crosses, yes DDG makes some amazing saves but I would rather have a keeper in charge than one reacting last second every time

Wish we had prime Schmeichel :(

Charles Miller

If i were an United scout in South America working for free, i would suggest Bento Krepski(23) from Athletico Paranaense.

JB7

Yep, as long as we keep playing De Gea we'll always always always always need a centre back because it's always their fault and never De Gea's. 10 years of this shite.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don't think we're gonna get a long-term choice at this late stage of the summer. At best a second choice GK who might oust De Gea this season but still need replacing going forward.

If we're thinking of a signing that could be made next summer, Sanchez and Raya are the obvious choices within the PL. Raya in particular may be available for a decent price as (if he doesn't sign a new contract) he will have just one year left on his current deal at that point.

There have also been various reports that we're looking at Meslier as a long term option.

Outside of the PL, I'm not sure who the younger talents are.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
100% we need 2 more 200m windows but I think if United can do that and get the right staff fans will be happy

Crazy the spends United to make including paying the debts and a new stadium though!

HookedOnAPhelan

He lacks everything a good modern keeper has, except shot stopping (and even there he's prone to a howler). Useless in the air, passive, weak, terrible with the ball at his feet, etc.

DJ_21

Yep, as long as we keep playing De Gea we'll always always always always need a centre back because it's always their fault and never De Gea's. 10 years of this shite.
Who’s saying it’s not de gea fault? We obviously need a new keeper but what will that achieve when Maguire is still in the team? And it hasn’t been 10 years of his shite when a few seasons ago he was one of the best keepers in the world and saved us points in so many games

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
He lacks everything a good modern keeper has, except shot stopping (and even there he's prone to a howler). Useless in the air, passive, weak, terrible with the ball at his feet, etc.
He's also not conventional in his saves which means he spills shot and fumbles, on top of his lack of distribution it means we drop points

JB7

Who’s saying it’s not de gea fault? We obviously need a new keeper but what will that achieve when Maguire is still in the team? And it hasn’t been 10 years of his shite when a few seasons ago he was one of the best keepers in the world and saved us points in so many games
Even at his best there was still major flaws in his game that led to us conceding more chances than most, he's not a goalkeeper that has really participated too much in opportunity prevention hence Hoek's interview all them years ago about the opposition he faced when trying to get him to train more with the team than alone.

Maguire takes the blame for pretty much everything we ever do, it's boring and frankly lazy. He had an abysmal season last season on his own terms and made enough mistakes on his own to fill a quite remarkable highlight reel, but it was made worse by the fact he was made into a meme for other peoples mistakes half the time (for example there was a clip posted on here last week of three moments of play made to mock Maguire and when you watch it De Gea was more at fault than Maguire in all three moments but he was supposedly the hero all season). It is clear that there is no working relationship between him and De Gea, and ultimately we've seen Maguire be good in front of front foot goalkeepers such as Henderson and Pickford, whereas De Gea has caused all the same problems for countless defenders the entire time he's been at the club - only they are getting worse and thankfully people are slowly cottoning on to him. The likelihood is that it will be Martinez and Varane anyway as long as Varane can stay fit so I wouldn't worry yourself too much, though of Maguire & De Gea it's pretty clear Maguire has the better chance of turning it round.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We’ve signed so many centre backs and none have done the job. Is it just a coincidence that it’s coincided with DDG being in goal. He doesn’t organise the defence or command his area. Get a commanding goalkeeper in and our defence would look better.

DJ_21

Even at his best there was still major flaws in his game that led to us conceding more chances than most, he's not a goalkeeper that has really participated too much in opportunity prevention hence Hoek's interview all them years ago about the opposition he faced when trying to get him to train more with the team than alone.

Maguire takes the blame for pretty much everything we ever do, it's boring and frankly lazy. He had an abysmal season last season on his own terms and made enough mistakes on his own to fill a quite remarkable highlight reel, but it was made worse by the fact he was made into a meme for other peoples mistakes half the time (for example there was a clip posted on here last week of three moments of play made to mock Maguire and when you watch it De Gea was more at fault than Maguire in all three moments but he was supposedly the hero all season). It is clear that there is no working relationship between him and De Gea, and ultimately we've seen Maguire be good in front of front foot goalkeepers such as Henderson and Pickford, whereas De Gea has caused all the same problems for countless defenders the entire time he's been at the club - only they are getting worse and thankfully people are slowly cottoning on to him. The likelihood is that it will be Martinez and Varane anyway as long as Varane can stay fit so I wouldn't worry yourself too much, though of Maguire & De Gea it's pretty clear Maguire has the better chance of turning it round.
Ye I get what your saying. Should be martinez and Varane going forward but don’t see how he’d do that when he’s made Maguire captain. It’s clear we need a new goalkeeper who speaks and organises a defence but we also need a leader at the back. Maguire isn’t a leader… get them 2 positions sorted and we look very good already, especially with a defence being protected by Casemiro.

eire-red

I'd still have another CM signing as priority ahead of replacing De Gea. Half of the McFred duo is still one too many.

RB is another area of concern, as is a striker option. Realistically we still need 4 starting 11 positions filled, and all of similar urgency.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah I mean... Casemiro undoubtedly is the best midfield signing we could have made for immediate impact this summer (Tchouameni and Frenkie are my dream pairing, but Frenkie doesn't address the defensive frailty and tchouameni isnt as good as Casemiro yet). But casemiro doesn't prevent Brentford from happening. That was 100% on De Gea, a team that low on confidence down 2-0 that quickly to those errors. Can't recover from that. And de Geas mentality for me is one that he'll likely have shite season all year now.

DJ_21

We’ve signed so many centre backs and none have done the job. Is it just a coincidence that it’s coincided with DDG being in goal. He doesn’t organise the defence or command his area. Get a commanding goalkeeper in and our defence would look better.
None have done the job because we’ve signed awful CBs! Do get that we need a GK that organises and communicates with his defence though, Henderson will be that next season, I’d still say we need a leader in defence though, can Varane be this? I’m not sure but Maguire isn’t captain material… so there both causing each other problems.

Canucantona20

I'd still have another CM signing as priority ahead of replacing De Gea. Half of the McFred duo is still one too many.

RB is another area of concern, as is a striker option. Realistically we still need 4 starting 11 positions filled, and all of similar urgency.
Agreed, and hoped we can get one more CM or RB this window

tomaldinho1

Fred as a CM and Casemiro slightly behind him is tried and tested though. They’re both excellent for Brazil. We’re going full Brazilian - Antony also coming and then a lay minute lion for Neymar.

JB7

Ye I get what your saying. Should be martinez and Varane going forward but don’t see how he’d do that when he’s made Maguire captain. It’s clear we need a new goalkeeper who speaks and organises a defence but we also need a leader at the back. Maguire isn’t a leader… get them 2 positions sorted and we look very good already, especially with a defence being protected by Casemiro.
I think the captaincy is much less of a role than we see it as in truth, I'm just as guilty as anyone of it so I'm certainly not digging anyone out here. I certainly agree we want to see it on a leader but I don't see Ten Hag as the type of manager to give it the "my captain shall always play" that LVG did. I think if he decides upon Varane & Martinez he'll have no issues dropping Maguire to the bench, I just think there is an element of caution to it for a couple of reasons. Firstly, how prone to injury Varane has been in his time at the club, which obviously makes it difficult to really build any relationship with a partner. But second because of how neither Martinez or Varane took too much part in our pre-season, so he'll be building them up, whereas Maguire played all the way through so it made more sense to bring Martinez into the team alongside Maguire and keep Varane back for another couple of weeks.

I could have it completely wrong but I think we'll see Martinez and Varane on Monday.

SambaBoy

David Raya and Roberto Sanchez would be two excellent signings but would cost a bucketloads from their respective clubs. Raya was unlucky to get injured last season so probably worth keeping an eye on him for this season, I think he could be better than Sanchez.

Bazunu has a massive reputation so let's see how he does this season - hopefully if he impresses then we go in for him. I'd be happy to give Henderson a chance - although I'm not too confident on his distribution compared to the others and his mouthing off hasn't done him any favours.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Given your recent transfers I think you should go for Keylor Navas.

eselfor

Would be astonished if we exercise the 1 year option at the end of the season

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I like to see ac milan's Mike maignan as our long term replacement.