De Gea Replacement - Do not use for player performance chat

Tony Clifton

To people trying to show any objectivity with De Gea watch this. These are just half of the unforgivable mistakes he's made since 2018
Yup. De Gea's decline began shortly and slowly after his monster performance in the 1—3 win away at Arsenal in december 2017.

BorisManUtd

Next summer will be our biggest in terms of goalkeeping position in the team since 2015 when we got Romero and De Gea almost left. He didn't leave in the end so it's our biggest GK dilemma since van der Sar retired surely.

Revan

Assumptionman
Maybe just me but Oblak is available on a free this summer... :drool:
He is as bad as De Gea nowadays and also in similar salary. He also has very similar weaknesses as De Gea.

If we have money for a keeper, ideally we go for someone in their prime, who can play a pass and sweep as needed.

Revan

Assumptionman
Quite baffling that people can watch us play and come to this conclusion. We've just spent about 80m on Malacia and Lisandro who are fantastic ball players and have Varane and Dalot who can also play from the back yet we punt the ball long from 90% of goalkicks just because of de Gea's inability to play football. His weaknesses are crippling and a massive reason we can't control games with the ball. We never will be able to until he's been replaced and thankfully Ten Hag seems aware of this given the pursuits of keepers like Sommer and Trapp who have some ability to pass the ball.
I wouldn't agree on RB (I like Dalot), but striker and another midfielder who can pass and dictate the play are IMO far more important. Ronaldo and Martial are not reliable, and Eriksen is our only central midfielder who can dictate the play. We need at least some backup of him, and it is hard to know how well he will continue playing considering his health issues.

Upgrading De Gea is IMO the third most important priority. Getting a top striker is far far more important.

Revan

Assumptionman
Joint first for me, alongside a striker. A backup for Eriksen would be nice, but would be a clear third most important priority for me. The player could even come from the academy.
I haven’t watched much of Iqbal so don’t know if he can do a job. But if Eriksen get injured, we are screwed. Neither of our other midfielders can play his position and we will be back to double pivoting and consequently have trouble playing forward passes.

I also think that De Gea as keeper is better than Martial/Ronaldo as strikers. Add to that, a striker is more important than a keeper so I think it is pretty trivial that we need a striker more.

Last edited:

Remember the geese

I haven’t watched much of Iqbal so don’t know if he can do a job. But if Eriksen get injured, we are screwed. Neither of our other midfielders can play his position and we will be back to double pivoting and consequently have trouble playing forward passes.

I also think that De Gea as keeper is better than Martial/Ronaldo. Add to that, a striker is more important than a keeper so I think it is pretty trivial that we need a striker more.
Yeah, Iqbal could be an option but there are others such as Hannibal or Mainoo who could step up next year and become a stand in for Eriksen.

As for De Gea, his style of goalkeeping is not a fit for us moving forward. It's imperative that he either massively improves the glaring holes in his game or more likely, we sign a replacement. The need for a striker is a given.

largelyworried

I've got La Liga TV this season so have been watching all the Spanish games, and the degree that Courtois and Ter Stegen get involved in passing around the back is honestly just depressing when you then watch how we play. Courtois has never really been regarded as outstanding with his feet, unlike Ter Stegen, but both will happily invite the the opposition on to them and they'll just pass through the press then move down the pitch with ease into the space it creates. Such a night and day difference compared to De Gea. Joint priority along with striker for me.

Shai-Hulud

1. Striker.

2. CM

3. GK

All 3 are clearly needed, but I wouldn't say GK is the number 1 need.

dinostar77

1. Striker.

2. CM

3. GK

Id replace the GK with a Rightback. The right sort of right back who likes to overlap will help antony with the way he likes to play off the right wing.

dinostar77

I also think that De Gea as keeper is better than Martial/Ronaldo as strikers. Add to that, a striker is more important than a keeper so I think it is pretty trivial that we need a striker more.
We spent so long chasing frenkie we missed out on fabien ruiz. £25mil is what PSG paid. A steal.

Rawls

You'll never find, that microfilm of mine
1. Diogo Costa
2. David Raya
3. Robert Sanchez

davidmichael

Been looking at Diogo Costa a lot the last few days and the more I look at him the more I see a very modern keeper who’s already very good but potential to be great and who fits perfectly into how ETH clearly wants us to play with our keeper, @SportingCP96 how do you rate him as a keeper ?

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Been looking at Diogo Costa a lot the last few days and the more I look at him the more I see a very modern keeper who’s already very good but potential to be great and who fits perfectly into how ETH clearly wants us to play with our keeper, @SportingCP96 how do you rate him as a keeper ?
Really talented keeper. Became a starter last season for Porto and has not looked back since. Good in 1 v 1 situations and is good with the ball in his feet. He has shown a good command presence in coming out for crosses as well despite his young age. Also worth noting he has taken Rui patrícios spot as the starting keeper for Portugal.

Still does some blunders here and their but that’s natural in a young keeper.

davidmichael

Really talented keeper. Became a starter last season for Porto and has not looked back since. Good in 1 v 1 situations and is good with the ball in his feet. He has shown a good command presence in coming out for crosses as well despite his young age. Also worth noting he has taken Rui patrícios spot as the starting keeper for Portugal.

Still does some blunders here and their but that’s natural in a young keeper.
I didn’t see that he’d also taken over as number one choice for the national team, are they the type of blunders that’ll be ironed out with experience in your opinion ?

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
1. Striker.

2. CM

3. GK

A world class RB is needed too. Dalot and the RB can fight for the position. AWB can go for 20-30m.

DDG expires in the summer so I think his replacement with certainly come in the summer, so many positions to cover I think some of it really does fall on sales too.

Who is on the scrap heap though? hard to tell under January/March

Pat Cat

jesus fecking christ. the revisionism is crazy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012–13_Premier_League#PFA_Team_of_the_Year

e - the title was won by, in order, RvP, Carrick, Rafael, and DDG. His game at the Bernabeu is the best goalkeeping i've ever seen, much better than the Arsenal one everybody remembers. 2 miracle saves and tons of solid ones.
The only revisionism is you pretending a goalkeeper who was dropped for over 25% of the season for making errors was a vital part of the team. He was average at best and only got into the TOTS because we won the league. Much like Ferdinand who himself was over the hill at that point, as evidenced by us conceding over 40 goals that season in the league.

Skills

Snitch
Quite baffling that people can watch us play and come to this conclusion. We've just spent about 80m on Malacia and Lisandro who are fantastic ball players and have Varane and Dalot who can also play from the back yet we punt the ball long from 90% of goalkicks just because of de Gea's inability to play football. His weaknesses are crippling and a massive reason we can't control games with the ball. We never will be able to until he's been replaced and thankfully Ten Hag seems aware of this given the pursuits of keepers like Sommer and Trapp who have some ability to pass the ball.
No

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I didn’t see that he’d also taken over as number one choice for the national team, are they the type of blunders that’ll be ironed out with experience in your opinion ?
Ya of course, stuff that comes with experience but it does not happen often. He has attributes to be a really good keeper.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
If Edurne can manage to replace him, so can we.

"Edurne talks about her new son and explains how he is after separating from his father"

DDG: "You have revealed your true feelings :("

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The only revisionism is you pretending a goalkeeper who was dropped for over 25% of the season for making errors was a vital part of the team. He was average at best and only got into the TOTS because we won the league. Much like Ferdinand who himself was over the hill at that point, as evidenced by us conceding over 40 goals that season in the league.
Oh but I thought the goals conceded were DDG's fault??
Anyway, I really dislike many of the ungrateful revisionist fans views here, downplaying every good player and memory! Bye.

Rob Bowman

He is as bad as De Gea nowadays and also in similar salary. He also has very similar weaknesses as De Gea.

If we have money for a keeper, ideally we go for someone in their prime, who can play a pass and sweep as needed.
We can disagree on Oblak's quality. My point was he is on a free. Also according to at least this site...

https://salarysport.com/football/player/jan-oblak/

He is one 100k pound less a week than De Gea...

https://salarysport.com/football/player/david-de-gea/

We need an rvn

We can disagree on Oblak's quality. My point was he is on a free. Also according to at least this site...

https://salarysport.com/football/player/jan-oblak/

He is one 100k pound less a week than De Gea...

https://salarysport.com/football/player/david-de-gea/
The problem with that is if he's on a free, he'll probably be demanding DDG salary which, for me, is shocking and we shouldn't be paying that to any player. Keepers shouldn't be earning more than £200k (compare DDG salary to other keepers and it's sickening)

I don't mind paying a signing on fee and giving him a £200k salary but not another keeper on £375k please!!!!

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Would anyone take De Gea for longer if he cuts his wages to much less? or is he just destined for the exit now

Oranges038

I must have posted this about 20 times before. Big Pete explains it perfectly, there is no way DDG suits how ETH wants to play, in very much the same way Hart didn't suit Pep and Mignolet didn't suit Klopp.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I must have posted this about 20 times before. Big Pete explains it perfectly, there is no way DDG suits how ETH wants to play, in very much the same way Hart didn't suit Pep and Mignolet didn't suit Klopp.

Distribution, playing out under pressure, coming off his line when the team plays a high line and claiming the ball from corners are all glaring weaknesses for DDG.

Also shot stopping now isn't as great as it was. The question is... is there a player out there that's available?

Skills

Snitch
I know everyone's desperate for a new keeper but be careful what you wish for. If we feck this one up, the keeper roulette isn't something that you want to be stuck in.

I honestly, have zero belief in the club managing this right. Just look at all the money we've spunked on CBs over the years, year after year trying to find the right one. If we now get caught up in the same mess at GK, we are so fecked.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
While people do rightly focus on the positives that would come with replacing De Gea, it's probably also true to say that after 12 years of such a naturally gifted shot-stopper in goals people may have to readjust their expectations as to what is normal in that regard.

CM10

While people do rightly focus on the positives that would come with replacing De Gea, it's probably also true to say that after 12 years of such a naturally gifted shot-stopper in goals people may have to readjust their expectations as to what is normal in that regard.
It hasn't exactly been a continuous period of insane shot stopping in that time though, has it? De Gea was exceptionally good in that regard for 4 or 5 years but he has had plenty of shaky moments in the last 3 or 4 years as well. People were already beginning to ask questions of him before he signed his last contract in 2019, and he was pretty ropey for Spain in the World Cup the previous year.

The contract he's on means there's also huge risk attached with keeping him. De Gea is the best paid goalkeeper in the world by some distance and has a number of limitations in his game. It feels similar to Pogba in the sense that his contract is so out of proportion with the level of quality he brings that it only feels right to cut ties completely.

Pat Cat

Oh but I thought the goals conceded were DDG's fault??
Anyway, I really dislike many of the ungrateful revisionist fans views here, downplaying every good player and memory! Bye.
Breaking news it's possible for more than one individual to be part of a problem

Rob Bowman

The problem with that is if he's on a free, he'll probably be demanding DDG salary which, for me, is shocking and we shouldn't be paying that to any player. Keepers shouldn't be earning more than £200k (compare DDG salary to other keepers and it's sickening)

I don't mind paying a signing on fee and giving him a £200k salary but not another keeper on £375k please!!!!
I agree I do not want to overpay.

That said when you do not shell out 40 or whatever mil to the other club you do have room to be a bit more generous in the player's contract.

Point being getting a player on a free and paying reasonable wages (see Eriksen) can be some really smart business.

NoPace

Just wanna say I hope we don't go for Raya. Great with his feet, good organizer said to be vocal, but I think they concede a lot because he's small and not the sort of brilliant athlete you need to be to overcome that.

Sanchez on the other hand, looks like he has it all to me.

We need an rvn

I agree I do not want to overpay.

That said when you do not shell out 40 or whatever mil to the other club you do have room to be a bit more generous in the player's contract.

Point being getting a player on a free and paying reasonable wages (see Eriksen) can be some really smart business.
It's a huge problem for any club. Sign a player for free and they'll usually demand a huge salary as the club don't have to pay a fee. However, by offering them a huge salary you upset the wage structure at the club and hence any player whose contract is due to run out will be demanding a huge over the top salary.

My personal view for free transfers / contract renewals is that there is a signing on "bonus" but the salary remains within a budget. ie. DDG should never have been offered £375k p/w (plus a signing on fee no doubt) but instead £10m for renewal and £200k p/w in line with every other top keeper. Having one player on £375k and one on £100k is ridiculous