De Gea Replacement - Do not use for player performance chat

Idxomer

Just wanna say I hope we don't go for Raya. Great with his feet, good organizer said to be vocal, but I think they concede a lot because he's small and not the sort of brilliant athlete you need to be to overcome that.

Sanchez on the other hand, looks like he has it all to me.
Agree entirely on Raya, he's not a keeper who fills me with confidence and we need one who can command the box on setpieces and crosses.

Sanchez can be a bit casual and clownish at times but he has a lot of good attributes that make the chances of him succeeding at a big club much higher.

NoPace

Agree entirely on Raya, he's not a keeper who fills me with confidence and we need one who can command the box on setpieces and crosses.

Sanchez can be a bit casual and clownish at times but he has a lot of good attributes that make the chances of him succeeding at a big club much higher.
Yeah. Raya seems like the type who might end up as Barca's backup keeper, like Cilesen did for a while.

Sanchez is a bit crazy but keepers often are. Be interesting to see if Potter goes for any of him, Caicedo, Webster and MacAllister. Trossard I don't see with Sterling, Pulisic and Chukwameka able to play there, even if Pulisic ends up leaving fairly soonish.

Rob Bowman

It's a huge problem for any club. Sign a player for free and they'll usually demand a huge salary as the club don't have to pay a fee. However, by offering them a huge salary you upset the wage structure at the club and hence any player whose contract is due to run out will be demanding a huge over the top salary.

My personal view for free transfers / contract renewals is that there is a signing on "bonus" but the salary remains within a budget. ie. DDG should never have been offered £375k p/w (plus a signing on fee no doubt) but instead £10m for renewal and £200k p/w in line with every other top keeper. Having one player on £375k and one on £100k is ridiculous
Fair points.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Think so too.

What appeals with Sanchez is that he has demonstrated a very rounded skill-set across his two full seasons in the league. Obviously he is very good on the ball but beyond that he has statistically been among the best performers in terms of shot-stopping, 1v1s, cross-claiming and corner claiming at various points across those two seasons, while also having shown decent sweeping numbers.

On top of that he's still relatively young for a goalkeeper at 24, is settled into England and the PL already, has been playing in a progressive side where the demands on him should scale up to better sides and is an imposing 6ft 6.

Really I don't really see anything to dislike about him as an option, it's just a question of whether he can make the step up at perform consistently at a bigger side.

Borussia Teeth

It's a huge problem for any club. Sign a player for free and they'll usually demand a huge salary as the club don't have to pay a fee. However, by offering them a huge salary you upset the wage structure at the club and hence any player whose contract is due to run out will be demanding a huge over the top salary.

My personal view for free transfers / contract renewals is that there is a signing on "bonus" but the salary remains within a budget. ie. DDG should never have been offered £375k p/w (plus a signing on fee no doubt) but instead £10m for renewal and £200k p/w in line with every other top keeper. Having one player on £375k and one on £100k is ridiculous
Your 'bonus' will still be a problem. If I was a player and my club signed a free agent, I would demand a similar bonus when it's time to renew my deal

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Why’s Maguire suddenly blaming de gea for him being crap and doing awful?! De gea has been at fault for a lot of goals but he’s done well before Maguire and he’s doing better now with Varane and martinez . Maguire just needs to admit he’s shocking. He had it easy under Solskjær, he knew he’d never be dropped and now he doesn’t like it.

Realist08

Maybe a bit of nostalgia but it was only all of 2020 that De Gea was saving us from the pits of despair…..or deeper pits of despair to word it better.
Many a game where his saves gained us points in games we didn’t deserve anything from. I agree he hasn’t been in the greatest of form and has made errors but are we really writing him off as a top class keeper?

CloneMC16

Maybe a bit of nostalgia but it was only all of 2020 that De Gea was saving us from the pits of despair…..or deeper pits of despair to word it better.
Many a game where his saves gained us points in games we didn’t deserve anything from. I agree he hasn’t been in the greatest of form and has made errors but are we really writing him off as a top class keeper?
Yes. He is bottom 2% for crosses stopped %, bottom 4% for defensive actions outside of his box, bottom 3% for touches, and bottom 1% for passes attempted. He's statistically terrible at multiple aspects of elite level keeping, and his shot stopping is not at the level it was a few years ago. What's the point in continuing on with him?

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I'd take Jan Oblak on a free for 3 seasons and get rid of DDG on his wages if it means significantly strengthening other areas.

Devil81

No chance, De Gea has been a disaster since 2018.

Realist08

Yes. He is bottom 2% for crosses stopped %, bottom 4% for defensive actions outside of his box, bottom 3% for touches, and bottom 1% for passes attempted. He's statistically terrible at multiple aspects of elite level keeping, and his shot stopping is not at the level it was a few years ago. What's the point in continuing on with him?
Fair, and not disagreeing.
As I say maybe a bit of nostalgia and is probably time to phase him out.
He’s been a good servant to the club, model professional and arguably the best keeper in the world for a season or two. Guess I’d like to see him go out with a bit of dignity. I think he deserves that at least.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
2020? He was poor that entire year.

Other than a brief good spell at the beginning of last season, he's been poor since the 2018 World Cup. That's four seasons where he's only been close to good enough for half a season. Unless he has a massive turnaround (and even then he's still going to be very limited) that's not just a patch of bad form, that's the new normal for him.

Elcabron

He’s been a good servant to the club, model professional and arguably the best keeper in the world for a season or two. Guess I’d like to see him go out with a bit of dignity. I think he deserves that at least.
Indeed, I really like big Dave despite all his faults as a keeper. He should be replaced next summer when his contract is up. Not sure if that's dignified or not but the game has moved on in the last five years and the reality is that his skill set just isn't suited to possession based football both from his distribution, command of his area and also coming off his line. He is also prone to errors.

He was great for us for a while but that was under a different manager, different tactics and probably different era at this stage.

CloneMC16

What would you propose we do? I don't think we should keep a player around, due to them being a good servant to the club. He's been paid extremely well for his services. There are practically no other clubs that would pay him what United do. De Gea has been the best paid keeper in the world since 2019. I don't think the club owes him anything else.

He's not being asked to leave during the middle of a contract. It will run out and we should part ways. I thank him for his services to the club, but we need to move on.

CM10

Just threw up in my mouth a little.
I think it's possible we extend de Gea to 2024, although I wouldn't really agree with it. The Pickford part sounds made up though, I really can't see us going down that road.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
The issue is that Ten Hag now is implementing his system which requires a ball playing goalkeeper, which De Gea just isn't capable of. And it's clearly limiting our play.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Can't believe the club is thinking of extending DDG's contract... actually, with the undynamic duo in charge, I can

Rojofiam

Even if he returned to his absolute peak of shot stopping abilities, he would still need to go. He's the biggest hindrance to our build up. He's literally the sole reason ten Hag reverted to pragmatic football after Brentford.

FujiVice

If we do sign Pickford, then its official that footwork is more important to these managers than actually being a goalkeeper these days.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Surely the Pickford mentions are just to generate interactions? I don’t think we would actually look at him.

tomaldinho1

If we do sign Pickford, then its official that footwork is more important to these managers than actually being a goalkeeper these days.
There’s also vastly better keepers with their feet than Pickford as well. I don’t believe for a second we’re interested in him, terrible keeper.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
How can your management reject Yann Sommer and then even think about signing Pickford. That's utter madness.
Both have pretty much the same height but Sommer is a way better goalie.

I'd rather a GK be able to perform his core competencies consistently.

The day DavidDG begins his decline is the day we should be concerned
That is not DDG then. He can’t do anything competent goalkeeping wise apart from reflex saves and decent positioning.

He decline started in 2018. He is so below average now that he won’t even make the World Cup squad as third choice Spanish keeper.

Wrecking ralf

I really like Alban Lafont from Nantes. I think he’d be a fantastic keeper for a top team. Fantastic shot stopper, knows when to leave his line, and is brave enough to make the right decision when he needs to. With a solid defensive pairing like we have ahead of him I think he’d be a beast.

AussieDevil

I really like Alban Lafont from Nantes. I think he’d be a fantastic keeper for a top team. Fantastic shot stopper, knows when to leave his line, and is brave enough to make the right decision when he needs to. With a solid defensive pairing like we have ahead of him I think he’d be a beast.
I mentioned him earlier in this thread, he’d be a beast. What I love about him is at the age of 24 he has already played 7 full seasons of first team football. Experience is so important for goalkeepers and he has bags full at such a young age.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
100% should be priority. DDG just not good playing from the back and ETH wants to play from the back and retaining possession then our next stage of summer transfer window is upgrading the keeper. Sanchez comes into mind.

criticalanalysis

Just threw up in my mouth a little.
I wonder what his stats are like?

I don't watch Everton games and have never rated him but I can imagine the optimal version of him (World Cup and Euro performances) being a 'good' fit. I'm not saying we should but it would be interesting to compare.

He's bit of a gobshite and I'm not sure about his keeping skills from a technical pov but he probably has that confidence/mentality to be a no.1 to sweep, organise a defence, claim crosses etc.

Again, I'm not saying we should go down this route. Just speaking hypothetically for the lulz.

Kweku Amonoo

1. Robert Sanchez
2. Giorgi Mamardashvili
3. Mike Maignan
4. Alban Lafont
5. Diogo Costa
6. Gavin Bazunu

All young GKs we should really be keeping tabs on as potential long term replacement for David De Gea.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
How can your management reject Yann Sommer and then even think about signing Pickford. That's utter madness.
Both have pretty much the same height but Sommer is a way better goalie.
I don’t think we rejected Sommer, I think he was flattered for the interest and stuff, but rejected us as he wasn’t going to be guaranteed first choice with De Gea still here.