De Gea Replacement - Do not use for player performance chat

Baxquux

I know they're similar ages, - Oblak being a couple of years younger - and neither is Allison/Ederson style sweeper keeper, but would Oblak/De Gea swap with a few million to sweeten the deal be the worst option? Oblak still seems more proactive and able to accommodate a high-line, a better distributor etc?

Or is Maguire going to complain that the replacement goalkeeper also speaks (good, or even, in Gea's case at least, fully fluent) English in a 'foren' accent?

Devil81

No one mentioning Martinez at Aston Villa.

He's a mountain of a keeper.

croadyman

Well apparently scouting Costa,have seen the French guy Maignan mentioned a lot but zero links to him whatsoever

poleglass red

No one mentioning Martinez at Aston Villa.

He's a mountain of a keeper.
very good keeper but he's contracted until 2027 with Villa, under his contract he signed in Jan, so Villa would want a massive fee for him. Stuff like that hasn't stopped us before I guess.

Fabio Rochemback

Robert Sanchez would be my pick. He wouldn't be cheap, and I don't watch non-EPL/CL games nowadays so, I'm sure there are cheaper options on the continent who can pass and command their box.

largelyworried

I think I need a primer on what the guy's strengths are. His key stats from last season are frankly awful, probably the worst in the league. This season he's still worst in the league at long range passing and average at everything else. Im happy to accept that potential can trump your current stats, but still, I would hope for a little more than we've seen to date if he's a potential United number 1.

criticalanalysis

I think I need a primer on what the guy's strengths are. His key stats from last season are frankly awful, probably the worst in the league. This season he's still worst in the league at long range passing and average at everything else. Im happy to accept that potential can trump your current stats, but still, I would hope for a little more than we've seen to date if he's a potential United number 1.
Same.

I think he's a bit like Ramsey, ok to average shot stopping but brave in everything else so looks like he has potential and mentality, which in itself is an underrated trait but the fundamentals do not make a high level player.

I think Pickford is like the peak version of Ramsey and that's not necessarily a criticism.

RedDevilQuebecois

Diogo Costa looks like the man for me. With that large Portuguese-speaking contingent already on board, why not add another member to the family?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think this role needs to be prioritised and with each passing game week, it becomes more and more obvious that we'd benefit from a more proactive keeper.

The latest example is David Raya against Man City where he made several good saves and his distribution was immaculate. It's easy to see why he's in the Spain squad ahead of DdG. And for a shorter keeper, Raya's high claims column is pretty emphatic compared to the competition.

Cantonalegod

Watched Vanja Milinkovic Savic today.

He had a very good game.

We had to release him previously, when he was very young, due to work permit issues.

He is massive, only 25, good in the air, pretty good with his feet and quick to sweep when needed.

Anyone who watches the Italian league regularly got an opinion?

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm
David Raya has only 18 months left on his contract, valued around 25m euros. Might be worth getting him in the summer transfer window, probably for a small fee around 20m euros.

He is in his prime age right now 27, turns 28 when PL starts next season and has a lot of experience from PL,

Diogo Costa has 5 years left on his contract, is only 23 years old and is probably ranked top 3 in the world if you would rank GKs under 23, if not the highest ranked right now with a lot of clubs interested in him. His value is over 50m euros, and if we enter a bidding war the fee will probably be much more then that, probably around 70-80m euros.

Problem is that DDG is having the best season in a long time, if not the best ever, he has even been decent with his long balls and i have a feeling that ETH doesn't see him as the first player that needs to be replaced for next season. I'm not sure i would drop DDG yet, if he keeps training his feet and the defense keeps playing like they are right now (Dalot-Varane-Martinez-Shaw and Casemiro), then we should be good for another 2, maybe 3 seasons. At least we should give him one more season and spend the big money on a CM and a striker (also need a backup for Dalot and maybe replace some players we should sell this summer).

Just can't see that DDG is our biggest problem right now...

Borussia Teeth

David Raya has only 18 months left on his contract, valued around 25m euros. Might be worth getting him in the summer transfer window, probably for a small fee around 20m euros.

He is in his prime age right now 27, turns 28 when PL starts next season and has a lot of experience from PL,

Diogo Costa has 5 years left on his contract, is only 23 years old and is probably ranked top 3 in the world if you would rank GKs under 23, if not the highest ranked right now with a lot of clubs interested in him. His value is over 50m euros, and if we enter a bidding war the fee will probably be much more then that, probably around 70-80m euros.

Problem is that DDG is having the best season in a long time, if not the best ever, he has even been decent with his long balls and i have a feeling that ETH doesn't see him as the first player that needs to be replaced for next season. I'm not sure i would drop DDG yet, if he keeps training his feet and the defense keeps playing like they are right now (Dalot-Varane-Martinez-Shaw and Casemiro), then we should be good for another 2, maybe 3 seasons. At least we should give him one more season and spend the big money on a CM and a striker (also need a backup for Dalot and maybe replace some players we should sell this summer).

Just can't see that DDG is our biggest problem right now...
I always thought ddg was good with his feet during his first few years. I think playing under Jose and with defenders like Smalling who are uncomfortable with playing out of the back, he regressed in this area. However, I don't think it was ever a huge weakness of his. I think he was always poor in terms of dominating his box and sweeping but he seems to be improving in the latter, too. I think we should take the year option and revisit this in summer 2024.

EtH

I like Meslier. Think he has it all. Only still under the radar due to Leeds’ kamikaze brand of football IMO.

MadMike

I like Meslier. Think he has it all. Only still under the radar due to Leeds’ kamikaze brand of football IMO.
But they aren't kamikaze under Marsh. You're still thinking of how they played during Bielsa's time, which ended in Feb.

Rojofiam

I always thought ddg was good with his feet during his first few years. I think playing under Jose and with defenders like Smalling who are uncomfortable with playing out of the back, he regressed in this area. However, I don't think it was ever a huge weakness of his. I think he was always poor in terms of dominating his box and sweeping but he seems to be improving in the latter, too. I think we should take the year option and revisit this in summer 2024.
Stop with this myth, please. Just take a look at Ederson, Alisson, Ramsdale, Costa and others' distribution. Technical keepers like them are miles ahead of De Gea in this regard and it's crucial to how ETH wants to play. De Gea has to go, there are no two ways about it.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Unai Simon has been linked and I thought he was outstanding last night against Germany. Germany are a classic PL type of international side, and he was aggressive and proactive, claimed many crosses and rushed out to cut out through passes o addition to making good saves.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
I know they're similar ages, - Oblak being a couple of years younger - and neither is Allison/Ederson style sweeper keeper, but would Oblak/De Gea swap with a few million to sweeten the deal be the worst option? Oblak still seems more proactive and able to accommodate a high-line, a better distributor etc?

Or is Maguire going to complain that the replacement goalkeeper also speaks (good, or even, in Gea's case at least, fully fluent) English in a 'foren' accent?
Why would maguire, a progressive, moan about that? Me thinks you're projecting your own prejudice.

Jev

Unai Simon has been linked and I thought he was outstanding last night against Germany. Germany are a classic PL type of international side, and he was aggressive and proactive, claimed many crosses and rushed out to cut out through passes o addition to making good saves.
Also made a dreadful pass late on that could have cost a goal which De Gea would have been crucified for.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Unai Simon would be my first choice if we could spend that amount of money. If not, I think Raya is a great budget option.

Must have been unlucky with Costa whenever I see him.

dinostar77

DDG will sign a new deal on lower terms. Money needs to be spent on a CF and another CM ideally de jong.

Remember the geese

Made a couple of dreadful short passes that could easily have cost them.

pogbasformerbarber

This is spot on. Hes having a very good season and we have much bigger issues to deal with before focusing here. I think we are good through next year, then we can focus on a new GK.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Hopefully we have new owners in place before the transfer window opens, and we show some intent to sign a well rounded keeper who is aligned with the principles of positional play at a high level and also one that provides the ability to command his area and is proactive in nature. We can't successfully transition into a more proactive attacking team by allowing players who are reactive in nature to play in goal imo. We shouldn't handicap ourselves and must imo, improve our ability from the first phase by having a keeper who will provide the numerical superiority as the 11th outfield player, but also in the first phase of play as the first superiority in possession.

And people will have their own preferences on who they want the club to sign. But the examples below from Diogo Costa and Unai Simon where Costa charges out to smother Bentacur in a 1v1 and Simon claims a cross in a crowded box are two examples where DdG is pretty much rubbish, and he'd stay rooted to his line, which puts even more pressure on the rest of the team to defend.

We obviously need a striker but imo the biggest headache for ten Hag right now as far as improving our build up play is concerned, is the keeper and the space between Casemiro, Eriksen and Fernandes. If the opposition can press us effectively in the defensive and middle thirds, then Bruno has to drop deeper into the middle third, and he's pretty average outside of operating in the attacking third where he's best suited imo. And unfortunately we don't have a ball carrier in a deeper role which could potentially break the opponent's stranglehold, which is compounded by Bruno being pretty average in the middle third.

Last edited:

Bojan Djordjic

Who would we be in a bidding war with? I'm scratching my head to think as most of the big clubs are pretty well set and a team like Barcelona probably doesn't have the financial resources to prioritise a large outlay on a keeper.

largelyworried

Haven't really seen enough of Simón in the league to know how he shapes up as a GK. His key stats this season are alright without being special, albeit last season they were better. Better than De Gea's at least. I guess that since he's Spain's number 1 then Enrique at least thinks has the right mentality for high pressure games? €30-40M would certainly be a good price if the manager fancies him, not sure how realistic that is.

Key thing is that we don't need to find a once in a lifetime talent to upgrade on what he have. A consistent all-rounder would be a step up.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
You do realize a report qualifies itself as complete and utter fabrication when it contains the sentence "Bilbao are willing to listen to offers", right?
You do realise that what you're responding to isn't the actual report but a translation of the actual report in question from Matteo Morretto. And the actual report in question (below) doesn't mention Bilbao but rather refers to the the club as 'Athletic'.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
You do realise that what you're responding to isn't the actual report but a translation of the actual report in question from Matteo Morretto. And the actual report in question (below) doesn't mention Bilbao but rather refers to the the club as 'Athletic'.

I'm refering to the substance, not the wording. Athletic have not sold a player in 20 years. If Simon extended without a release clause that will make signing him from them even more difficult, not less, as it will have to go through courts.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
@Adnan What do you think about Meslier ?
I haven't seen enough of him to form an opinion. He's still a very young keeper and seems highly rated and has been through the rigours of playing under a very demanding coach like Bielsa, who is very attack minded in his approach, which really would test any young keeper.

I think he's still very young at 22, for a keeper and it might be a year or two, too soon for him to move to United. And Leeds wouldn't be easy to deal with either considering our history with them.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm refering to the substance, not the wording. Athletic have not sold a player in 20 years. If Simon extended without a release clause that will make signing him from them even more difficult, not less, as it will have to go through courts.
I don't know, maybe Simon and Club Athletic have a verbal agreement and a sum of €30m or €40m would suffice. And if that isn't the case, then we move on and look elsewhere rather than get involved in a court battle.