De Gea Signs New Contract to 2023 (+1)

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
There is nothing positive about a declining player who held the club to ransom over his obscene wages when his performance now doesn’t even justify this increment. I find it funny how everyone’s now kissing De Gea ass, you even have some posters saying they forgive him. De Gea basically did a Rooney except without the whole calling out. He isn’t even the top 5 goalkeepers in the world, Alisson and Ederson are better than him in the league. Now he comes out with this lame mushy video saying Old Trafford is his home, my arse. That’s only because no other football clubs are stupid enough to pay you £300k to £400k per week. He staying at United has absolutely nothing to do with loyalty but just money.
Oh do feck off

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
There is nothing positive about a declining player who held the club to ransom over his obscene wages when his performance now doesn’t even justify this increment. I find it funny how everyone’s now kissing De Gea ass, you even have some posters saying they forgive him. De Gea basically did a Rooney except without the whole calling out. He isn’t even the top 5 goalkeepers in the world, Alisson and Ederson are better than him in the league. Now he comes out with this lame mushy video saying Old Trafford is his home, my arse. That’s only because no other football clubs are stupid enough to pay you £300k to £400k per week. He staying at United has absolutely nothing to do with loyalty but just money.
I've read some absolutely mental stuff on here over the recent past, but goodness me...

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
At the end of the day replacing him would have been far too costly and put us in a position where we've another issue to fix. Do I worry he's not quite up there with the very best anymore? Yeah, but hopefully with this issue sorted we see less of those mistakes which has littered so many of his performances lately. His rumoured wage is ridiculous for a keeper, but it was always going to take that sort of daft money to keep him.
Pretty much how I feel about it. I'm not entirely convinced that the last 8 months was just a wobble but having a reliable keeper is massively important to the whole team, so having to shop around for a new one, with so much investment needed elsewhere was a non-starter. Tentatively pleased.

always_hoping

Finally the saga of will he or won't he sign a new contract is over and Ed Woodward was blame there and unsettled DeGea produced his worst form last season because of it.

Ed9

Great news! LEGEND
All the sheep writing him off based on a couple of games...

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
You forgot to Highlight ......the year and a half of bad form :lol::lol: ....Troll or a complete moron.
Complete madness mate. Imagine saying that about the guy who's almost single-handedly been saving our arses for how many years now. :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Terrible decision in my opinion, and a perfect example of why we are a bang average team right now, we're basically rewarding mediocrity.
I've always thought he was overrated but the last year and a half for me, he's gone from overrated to just an outright liability and is definitely not suited to the high-press style solskjaer wants to play.
If you're going to play that way then u need a keeper who is good with his feet and coming out off his line (a sweeper keeper if u like) and De Gea is the complete opposite of a sweeper keeper the way he stays rooted to his line.
If the manager can't see that then I'm obviously worried for him too.

On a positive note, at least I won't have to hear one more person trying to use his contract situation as an excuse for not being able to save a shot for the past year and a half.

Also, I genuinely hope I'm wrong on this, I'd love nothing more than for him to prove me wrong and shut me up.
Real proof that fans on forums can argue anything!

Even rival fans accepted him as without doubt the best keeper. That generally says it all.

For a couple of seasons he was like a single handed defence

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
I've read some absolutely mental stuff on here over the recent past, but goodness me...
There’s nothing mental about what I’ve said. If the club didn’t offer De Gea a pay increment, he wouldn’t have stayed. Deal with the truth.

Foxtrot

Supports
Die Mannschaft
Real proof that fans on forums can argue anything!

Even rival fans accepted him as without doubt the best keeper. That generally says it all.

For a couple of seasons he was like a single handed defence
What couple of Seasons are you talking about? He hasn’t been performing for almost two years now. Him being great in the past means feck all now. We look towards the present and future not the past.

Stacks

There are a shortage of capable GK, especially ones who can win you points so I am pleased. That said, I was more open to him leaving and us looking for a keeper with more varied skill sets than I had been in years. I think because his form highlighted his weaknesses a lot but overall, replacing him would of been a mission

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
time for him to repay our faith and to start looking like one o the best keepers in the world... (of course signing a contract doesn't mean him not leaving)

Marcus

Excellent! His form in the last game was back. You could really tell.

Ed9

btw the most reported salary is 250k/w after tax. what is that before tax? or is that how prem salaries are reported?

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
There’s nothing mental about what I’ve said. If the club didn’t offer De Gea a pay increment, he wouldn’t have stayed. Deal with the truth.
Wait, you mean to suggest a professional footballer requested an improved contract before committing his future to the club?

What a ridiculous notion.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
IF he can get back to his best form, I don't mind his contract costing us 375k

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
And...? Your logic makes no sense. Wages are going up year on year. Do you expect players at the top of their game to not be paid accordingly?

Mailo

The fact that your go to response to the news he's signed a contract is thinking the worst. Not rocket science is it

There are two way of looking at his new contract

A- now his future is settled he'll get back to his best
B- his future had nothing to do with his form and he's on the decline

It's clear which one you went with
We have a psychic on our hands. I put United first. No player before that. I don't want another Rooney, Sanchez, Jones, Rojo, Damian, Schweinsteiger on our hands. Simple as that.

charlenefan

We have a psychic on our hands. I put United first. No player before that. I don't want another Rooney, Sanchez, Jones, Rojo, Damian, Schweinsteiger on our hands. Simple as that.
Oh FFS the fact that your first thought is that he'll be another {insert player here} is exactly what I'm talking about. Nothing to do with being psychic. It's clear as day where your minds at

RedDevil-85

Great news:devil:
Just hope we didnt give him Sanchez money.
At least our rebuilding of the squad wont include getting a new keeper as well.
Really hope we can win something big with De Gea

JB7

I think it's good news to tie him down, he's been excellent for us and will continue to be. However I definitely think we should be changing his coach, under Alvarez he has stagnated and gone back to how he was when he first joined in terms of staying on his line and panicking with high balls into the box. We saw under the previous coaches his game really went from strength to strength in all aspects, Alvarez may be popular with the players but I wonder if that is because he doesn't push and challenge as much as previous coaches have.

crossy1686

career ending
I can understand the passing stuff as he's not the best at it but that bold is possibly most idiotic thing written on here today. :lol:
It's funny how everyone's changed their tune now he's signed a new contract.

De Gea has routinely let in saveable shots over the past 18 months but occasionally pulls out a worldie, that doesn't make him the best goal keeper or shot stopper in the league or even close to. I presume you watched the Crystal Palace match where he was beaten at his near post? Or the Arsenal game last season where Xhaka shot was right down his throat but he failed to save it? There's been loads of instances at the end of last season and you could even argue he cost us a top 4 spot in the end.

On his day he is brilliant but let's not get carried away and start claiming he's the best shot stopper in the world. Just because he's signed a contract and you want it to be true doesn't mean it is.

charlenefan

What is going on today? People are really foaming at the mouth about us securing DDG's future. :lol:
Looking back at when I first joined this forum I can honestly say United fans now are the worst, I dont remember reading half the shit back in 2005 when I joined that I do now