De Gea Signs New Contract to 2023 (+1)

dove

Fair enough but do you not think we're overpaying and risking a Sanchez v2? I know he's unlikely to decline as much but the increased salary expectations won't help us with recruitment.
Hard to say. I just think that if there is a player who deserves to be rewarded for years of being one of our best players, it’s him. I know his form isn’t the best for a few months now but he is still a very good keeper. We were spoiled having a genuinely world class keeper who made barely any mistakes for good 5 years or so.

Decomposing In Paris

I hope we stage an incredible comeback to win the league this season, then some of you Manchester United supporters can be really miserable.

HankHill

Supports
Ewe Night Tid.
Glutton for punishment...and massive wages I suppose.

Great news regardless.

Greck

For a sec I thought we were willing to put our foot down on big wages even if it meant losing the likes of De Gea. Glad he's signed anyway. Wonder if Neville goes on a rant about it this weekend.

James_42

Good news, now that his future is secure hopefully his form continues like it did against Leicester.

We all know on his day he is the best keeper in the world, but for whatever reason uncharacteristic mistakes started to creep into his game last season.

Tarrou

Very happy with this.

I understand some people have concerns that he may have peaked due to his bad run of form, but it seems quite unlikely given his age. Class is permanent, form is temporary. He's entering his peak years now.

The risk involved in trying to acquire a new keeper and them to settle is far far greater.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
He's our best player and has been for a long, long time. It's good to see at least the club refusing to sell him and signing him on for more years.

With his contract set in place we've got something to build on from the back at the bare minimum.

Strelok

Showed some glimpse of his old self last match, realy hope he could get back to what he used to.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I hope this saga doesn't set the tone for every major player contract negotiations going forward.

My biggest bugbear is that our goalie is being paid the highest or 2nd highest on the wage bill. Smikes, who I rate higher, got us consistently 10-15 points a season and I doubt if he was amongst the top five best-paid players in the squad.

At this rate, I am not sure how sustainable our wage bill will be in about 3-4 years time when almost all of the key players' contracts are up. The <50% of the total revenue ratio will not be maintained for sure.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
For a sec I thought we were willing to put our foot down on big wages even if it meant losing the likes of De Gea. Glad he's signed anyway. Wonder if Neville goes on a rant about it this weekend.
Totally depends on how De Gea plays. If he has a worldie it's will be a good thing, if he throws one into his net then he'll say we were stupid.

Marcus

I hope this saga doesn't set the tone for every major player contract negotiations going forward.

My biggest bugbear is that our goalie is being paid the highest or 2nd highest on the wage bill. Smikes, who I rate higher, got us consistently 10-15 points a season and I doubt if he was amongst the top five best-paid players in the squad.

At this rate, I am not sure how sustainable our wage bill will be in about 3-4 years time when almost all of the key players' contracts are up. The <50% of the total revenue ratio will not be maintained for sure.
He made one world class save against Leicester when he deflected Maddison's point blank shot with his legs. So that's 2 points right there if we're counting.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Of course very good news that this contract saga is over :)

It will be interesting to see what Henderson will do next summer.

1991-1999: Schmeichel
2005-2011: Van der Sar
2011-?2024?: De Gea

We are doing an world-class scouting job in that position :cool:
Just a shame we haven't looked earlier on Van der Sar.

Last edited:

Halal Jalal

Declined terribly, lost his NT spot, and we make him the highest paid GK in the world :lol:

Even at his best he was a conservative reflex baby but now that he lost his agility and modern game demands a commanding sweeper keeper, we give him a ridiculous new contract Why?

Hughes35

Declined terribly, lost his NT spot, and we make him the highest paid GK in the world :lol:

Even at his best he was a conservative reflex baby but now that he lost his agility and modern game demands a commanding sweeper keeper, we give him a ridiculous new contract Why?
Can you please show me which of his mistakes is down to poor agility?

Tarrou

what on earth is this?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Nev better shut his gob as DDG is 10 times the player he was

meamth

Why are people so sassy when it comes to the assessment that De Gea has been poor for club and country since June 2018?

It reminds me of when people would defend Rooney over his own form (which was worse for longer).

Hopefully De Gea does get back to his best. But he has been a weakness. That is a fact. We can’t be sentimental. We need him to settle down and do what he does best, which is saving shots.
Not surprising really.

Ole's record only counts after his appointment, it's natural people can forget his contributions before that. This is to be expected in caf.

Strelok

Last edited by a moderator:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
It's funny how everyone's changed their tune now he's signed a new contract.

De Gea has routinely let in saveable shots over the past 18 months but occasionally pulls out a worldie, that doesn't make him the best goal keeper or shot stopper in the league or even close to. I presume you watched the Crystal Palace match where he was beaten at his near post? Or the Arsenal game last season where Xhaka shot was right down his throat but he failed to save it? There's been loads of instances at the end of last season and you could even argue he cost us a top 4 spot in the end.

On his day he is brilliant but let's not get carried away and start claiming he's the best shot stopper in the world. Just because he's signed a contract and you want it to be true doesn't mean it is.
Well he was best keeper in the world in the past 4-5 years or so, and supposedly he is currently entering the prime age for keeper too, which should normally last for at least another 4-5 years more. Last season his form dropped and one could argue that he was affected by the contract situation and uncertainty of his future.

Now everything is settled (contract issue), it’s not unreasonable to look at the brighter side, and hope for the best outcome.

Thiagoal

I’d love to know who all these key players are that’ll be looking for comparable wages? Pogba...anyone else?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I’d love to know who all these key players are that’ll be looking for comparable wages? Pogba...anyone else?
Pogs' contract will be up for discussion in a couple of summers.

Martial, Mcguire, AWB (but I imagine he isnt on high wages at the moment).

New signings next summer will be asking comparative/relative wages to a goalie/De Gea

Ban

He lost his agility? Come of it please.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Some people live in a world were everyone wants to join little Ole rebuild and we have a 300m transfer budget to spend per year. In that case we could afford to stick our guns and let DDG walk on free

Unfortunately reality is a bit different. We are in the middle of a mess, there's a major rebuild that needs to be done and not much money to do it. Last summer money ran out while we were fixing defence. That meant that we had to pretend that midfield, RW and forward line simply doesn't exist. If DDG left then most of our budget would have been blown away replacing him. We would have also had to settle for our 2nd-3rd option as most top players wouldn't want to join a sleeping giant lead by a nobody. Alternatively we can pretend that there is a kid in the academy whose as good as prime Schmeichel only to ignore that he exists once the EPL starts. Do we really want that?

ants7

I have no reason to believe that our board would have replaced him with a player on similar level (Oblak, Donnarumma) so I am happy that's sorted and there will not be Herrera mk2 situation.

Need to keep hold of the best players we have and replace mediocrity. Dave is not the latter.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
That Telegraphs shows 375k including bonus. So it almost double Harry Kane's, way more than Sterling or KdB, and almost equal to Hazard's at Madrid.

What a bargain for Gk! It shows his heart is always with us.

Last edited:

GoldanoGraham

That Telegraphs shows 375k including bonus. So it almost double Harry Kane's, way more than Sterling or KdB, and almost equal to Hazard's at Madrid.

There are so many conflicting reports on the exact wage that I’m sure a lot of the quotes are the very top end of all conditions met....

However, you have to look at it - if he left next summer for nothing - the cost to replace him would be huge - if that replacement came from overseas - which it most likely would - they would need to settle in to a new league and a new environment - none of these happen quickly.....

While we have Henderson in the pipeline - he is clearly not ready yet to play under the scrutiny of OT for a few years so while the wages are high for Utd to pay it is still cheaper for us than replacing and means that we don’t need to start the hunt for a keeper while we are trying to sort out our midfield area......

Of course - I’m sure Pogbas agent will be knocking on the door asking for a rise very soon......

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
There are so many conflicting reports on the exact wage that I’m sure a lot of the quotes are the very top end of all conditions met....

However, you have to look at it - if he left next summer for nothing - the cost to replace him would be huge - if that replacement came from overseas - which it most likely would - they would need to settle in to a new league and a new environment - none of these happen quickly.....

While we have Henderson in the pipeline - he is clearly not ready yet to play under the scrutiny of OT for a few years so while the wages are high for Utd to pay it is still cheaper for us than replacing and means that we don’t need to start the hunt for a keeper while we are trying to sort out our midfield area......

Of course - I’m sure Pogbas agent will be knocking on the door asking for a rise very soon......
This is the thinking (the way the Club operate) that allows players leeching off the Club. Awarding failures with mega wages, which shows how rotten the Club is.

I'm not sure why some United fans are happy with this practice, then moaning when the Club find it hard to get rid off players to allow better ones in.

Last edited:

crossy1686

career ending
Well he was best keeper in the world in the past 4-5 years or so, and supposedly he is currently entering the prime age for keeper too, which should normally last for at least another 4-5 years more. Last season his form dropped and one could argue that he was affected by the contract situation and uncertainty of his future.

Now everything is settled (contract issue), it’s not unreasonable to look at the brighter side, and hope for the best outcome.
Don’t get me wrong. I’m not upset he’s signed, but I’m also not over the moon he’s signed. I’m non aligned on this one.

I take particular issue with the way he’s run his contract down but realised no one is willing to pay him what he wants, just feels like he’s angling for the Madrid move still.

His form has been sketchy since the World Cup, to the point Spain have dropped him. He was poor for us last season and yet he’s got a bumper new deal out of it.

He has been great for us in the past and I’m hoping he returns to his absolute best now but just because he’s signed a new contract and we all want it to be true, doesn’t mean it actually will. In fact, I’ll put solid money on him making a mistake in one of the next two games.

Ban

Some people live in a world were everyone wants to join little Ole rebuild and we have a 300m transfer budget to spend per year. In that case we could afford to stick our guns and let DDG walk on free

Unfortunately reality is a bit different. We are in the middle of a mess, there's a major rebuild that needs to be done and not much money to do it. Last summer money ran out while we were fixing defence. That meant that we had to pretend that midfield, RW and forward line simply doesn't exist. If DDG left then most of our budget would have been blown away replacing him. We would have also had to settle for our 2nd-3rd option as most top players wouldn't want to join a sleeping giant lead by a nobody. Alternatively we can pretend that there is a kid in the academy whose as good as prime Schmeichel only to ignore that he exists once the EPL starts. Do we really want that?
Really, little Ole.
I know you like it but stop.

Ban

How much would we pay for a new keeper plus his wages?
Also De Gea is certainly not a failure.