De Gea's future | Jose not confident but not worried about deal

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I can't find a thread for this but apologies if it is somewhere I haven't looked.

According to The Guardian:
  • David de Gea has passed up an opportunity to commit his future to Manchester United, with the goalkeeper's deal set to expire next summer.

Offsideagain

He has stated that he’s happy at OT so this is just another scare story trying to unsettle the team.

SirAF

Ageist
Why can’t the media grasp that his contract does not expire in 2019 but in 2020. United will obviously trigger the +1 clause.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Dont see why he doesn't sign now. The madrid carrot is gone. What options are there now. Barca are happy with ter stegen and de gea isnt as highly rated in spain as he is here. Psg maybe ? Dont really see any options other than commiting to united.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
His deal won't expire next summer, we will obviously take the option of another year.

He's probably holding out for even more money.

vk20legend

Dont see why he doesn't sign now. The madrid carrot is gone. What options are there now. Barca are happy with ter stegen and de gea isnt as highly rated in spain as he is here. Psg maybe ? Dont really see any options other than commiting to united.
Juventus and PSG. One are Masters of Free transfers and the other can just throw obscene money if they think they want a player.

I still think and hope he'll sign an extension. But those are the available options.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
That's understandable, he's too big for us.

Nikelesh Reddy

His deal won't expire next summer, we will obviously take the option of another year.

He's probably holding out for even more money.
He definitely deserves as much as Pogba...He deserves to be up there with the highest paid players at the club.We just need to stump up with the cash...

Traub

This is very strange, all the previous reports were that he is signing.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Juventus and PSG. One are Masters of Free transfers and the other can just throw obscene money if they think they want a player.

I still think and hope he'll sign an extension. But those are the available options.
Juventus is a concern. They need a top goalkeeper now then Buffon is gone. Oh well, he'll be moving to a top club if he goes there.

BlueHaze

He would be a massive upgrade on Ter Stegen though so I can definitely see Barca wanting him if he was available. Only way we could soften the blow imo if he was to leave would be a swap for Oblak.

Pow

Supports
Chelsea

Dont really see him going juve. The uncertainty of his performances for spain has been a god send for your club. Its not even a question he should be the highest paid player on your team. Never seen a keeper carry a team for years like he has.

cyberman

"I feel really loved in this club – from the fans, from all the people who are for this club. I am really happy to play for this club, one of best clubs in the world, so for me it’s really good to be part of this club.

Is this it? Really?

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
If I were De Gea, and seeing what remains of the contract, I would ask to earn at least as much as Pogba and Alexis (if the offer is lower, I do not know)

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
He definitely deserves as much as Pogba...He deserves to be up there with the highest paid players at the club.We just need to stump up with the cash...
No he does not. No-one should be on the ridiculous amount Sanchez is on. He's just a GK, and already the best paid one in the world.

cyberman

If I were De Gea, and seeing what remains of the contract, I would ask to earn at least as much as Pogba and Alexis (if the offer is lower, I do not know)
Wasn he offered more than Pogba? Pauls weekly wage really isn't all that high

el3mel

Not much worried about this. I'm pretty sure he'll renew at the end.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
We're still in the driving seat.

These +1 options are exactly our safety net. If a player wants to roll down their contract we have 18 mths leeway to "let them rot on reserves without training".

Player in their prime seldom winds down their contract, and iirc there's a gentlemen agreement between clubs not to abuse this as it'll set a very bad precedent for the future

buckooo1978

would be disastrous to lose him

id offer him a wage fitting for his elite status

He deserves to be the highest paid player at the club

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Problem is nobody else would pay 200k per week for de gea. Many clubs could afford that but not many clubs would want to pay that sort of money for a gk they dont really need. In the sense that having de gea at madrid will probably won't add much considering how good they are at the moment.

Plus it's a risky move to come up with pay me or I'll leave. The club might decided to just told you to feck off (not likely in de gea case). There'll always be a limit of how much is too high

If you're a pure mercenary then that tactics might work, but if you happens to like your job this sort of bluff can be hard to pull. The club might be desperate enough this time, but the moment you let down your form you'd be hounded out. Rooney is a good example, he extorted us 300k per week, that in the end becomes the stick to beat him.

Cloud7

I do wonder what the hold up on this is. If I remember correctly, after the fax incident, the new contract he signed was reported to make him the highest paid GK at the time, and he has only cemented himself as even more important to us in the years after that, so surely the club wouldn’t skimp him on wages with what is likely to be the biggest contract of his career, with him at his peak age.

At the same time, Madrid and Barca both have young, world class keepers themselves, so it’s not like the option is there for him to go to one of the Spanish big boys.

It’s really hard to see what the hold up could be.

Zoo

Joke of an article after he declined to directly answer Jamie Jackson's question.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I do wonder what the hold up on this is. If I remember correctly, after the fax incident, the new contract he signed was reported to make him the highest paid GK at the time, and he has only cemented himself as even more important to us in the years after that, so surely the club wouldn’t skimp him on wages with what is likely to be the biggest contract of his career, with him at his peak age.

At the same time, Madrid and Barca both have young, world class keepers themselves, so it’s not like the option is there for him to go to one of the Spanish big boys.

It’s really hard to see what the hold up could be.
Haggling. Both parties don't want to simply give in to the other party.

Which is quite normal in negotiations. United dont want to look desperate.

Our players aren't de gea alone. If he gets what he wants just like that pogba and the rest will follow. It's a delicate situation.

Drawfull

"I feel really loved in this club – from the fans, from all the people who are for this club. I am really happy to play for this club, one of best clubs in the world, so for me it’s really good to be part of this club.

Is this it? Really?
That's really it. Read it earlier and took it with the pinch of salt reserved for all other let's-spin-some-negative-united-shite stories.

Inter Yer Nan

Jackson is a twat and he's just trying to always paint a bleak picture. "Passed up an opportunity". LOL. He's a professional and he's in town to play a Champions League game and seemed to be hinting that he's planning on staying long term with his comments rather than the "declined new contract" angle Jackson is trying to spout.

Toad

“I feel really loved in this club – from the fans, from all the people who are for this club. I am really happy to play for this club, one of best clubs in the world, so for me it’s really good to be part of this club.”

Does anyone else get the feeling he is talking about this club?

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Pay the fecking guy. Should be the top earner at the club by a giant distance, goalkeeper or not. He is the only world class player we have.

stepic

Why would he confirm to Jamie fecking Jackson he is staying when he’s in the process of negotiating a contract?

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
The only place he could go is PSG but I just don't see him at Paris. It seems a bit too glitzy for him.

Kent Devil

As what has been already said on here just give the guy what he wants. I mean he is the best goalkeeper in the world so there is no replacing his with someone better.

Sir Scott McToMinay

Not sure why people assume it’s about money.
If he’s going to leave it will obviously be because he doesn’t want to reach his 30s with one league title, after doing his own part as good as possible.