Dead Drafters Society

Watching modern games as well or just games pre 2000?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!

Laudrup is much older then i thought....could be a easy one for samba boys.

Šjor Bepo

Brazil first XI
Taffarel - Cafu, Aldair, Junior Baiano, Roberto Carlos - Cesar Sampaio, Dunga, Leonardo, Rivaldo - Ronaldo, Bebeto

Denmark XI
Schmeichel - Helveg, Hogh, Heintze, Rieper - Nielsen, Colding, Jorgensen, Laudrup - Laudrup, Moller

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
If only there was a Netflix for football matches you could watch in HD, i would gladly pay for that. Watching in shite quality takes an element of the enjoyment away.

Šjor Bepo

Dunga killing it, Carlos lucky he isnt playing with current rules :D

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
The ref has been poor, maybe a red for Carlos and how did he miss that foul by Brian on Ronaldo? :lol:

Šjor Bepo

great game peak.
Shame Denmark didnt had a bit more quality in the team as that Brazil team was there for taking. Well drilled team that went to play positive football against pretty much their opposites, side that was pretty average as a team but had insane amount of individual quality and the monster games from Dunga and Rivaldo were enough to send them through.
Player of the week - Rivaldo
Wanker of the week - Roberto Carlos

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I liked the way the Brazil full backs pushed so high up, Cafu was brilliant. Rivaldo scored two great goals. As for Denmark I was impressed with the younger Laudrup who was probably their best player.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
As for Denmark I was impressed with the younger Laudrup who was probably their best player.
Aye, Brian was always in the shadow of Michael, but he was on another level for the national team. Fantastic player.

The great thing about the game is how Denmark went blow for blow. Not a single team deared to do that in the tournament.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
A few observations:
  • @2mufc0 Yes. Thought Brian had a great game, Carlos in particular struggled to keep tabs with him.
  • Loved how gung-ho the two full-backs were, probably the two purest flank-dominators of all time. Carlos was up against a pacy and hard-working wide midfielder in Jorgensen, but blew him apart at times with his dynamism.
  • Cracking Brazil team really, genuinely reckoning they could just outscore everybody, even though they left some space in behind. You can see how they sometimes needed that security of the third CB they got in 2002.
  • Denmark's 4-4-2 was pretty solid. Interesting that Michael Laudrup was part of the four, and didn't look out of place in a deeper role. Class act.
  • Thought Moller did a really solid job of leading the line, foraging and finding space. Not a guy who I remember that much to be honest, would have guessed that Sand was up front for this one.
  • Nielsen was full of bite and energy in midfield, really important in winning the ball for counter attacks.
  • Ronaldo showcased a different side to his game in assisting a couple of goals - the through ball to Bebeto was very tasty.
  • If you look up a video of 'daisy-cutter', I'd imagine Rivaldo's long-range winner would be the best example you could find.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Moller messed up one of Denmark's best chances when he mis controlled when through, apart for that he was ok.

First 10 minuted Ronaldo stayed up top and wasn't really involved, no surprise when he dropped a bit deeper Brazil scored.

Last edited:

Indnyc

Finally watched the match last night.. Great game @Jim Beam

1) Denmark played well but it almost felt they required someone to compose themselves.. The first goal was bad defending when Ronaldo dragged essentially the whole backline out to play in Bebeto. Second goal was also due to a turnover in their own half.. A bit more quality and they would have won the game

2) Ronaldo often dropped far more deeper than i realized.. And his decision making was sublime.. Even towards the end of the match in a counter attack, he waited that extra second to find the right pass

3) Carlos and Cafu played like wingbacks which worked while going forward but left a lot of space behind. Dunga had a great game in the middle of park

4) Brian Laudrup was just :drool:

Jim Beam

2) Ronaldo often dropped far more deeper than i realized.. And his decision making was sublime.. Even towards the end of the match in a counter attack, he waited that extra second to find the right pass
Yeah, he was just fantastic all around attacking menace.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I meant more in the sense watch until Friday/end of the week or something like that.

"The Last Danish dynamite swansong" I call it, feck Fenomeno.
Good idea @Šjor Bepo

Good pick @Jim Beam great game. Agree on the swansong thing, by 2002 they had gone from an exciting team to watch to incredibly boring.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Great opener @Jim Beam

Takeaways:
  • Dunga brilliant; omnipresent ball-winner and DLP, composed and authoritative. Brazil's first two goal were preceded by his tacklings, and he played Rivaldo on from deep for the third
  • Ronaldo bossed the attacking third with his wide movement & great allround play in the first half, Rivaldo took over in the second
  • Bebeto is a dream partner for any CF in a 4-4-2 - tireless worker with extensive movement in & out of possession, great intelligence & quickness, neat technique & linkup play, cool finisher
  • Brazil had a fine mix of world class and role players
  • Rivaldo with exceptional workrate against the ball throughout the game
  • M. Laudrup Denmark's CM playmaking hub, distributing and also doing his share defensively
  • Brian with a great game, pacy dribbler & instigator, smart assist & well-taken goal
Cafu & Carlos FB partnership was impressive to watch, Cafu even more gung-ho regarding balance (imo), but Carlos much funnier. I think that game was a good illustration for the offensive full-back issue (in a back four) popping up in draft discussions sometimes. When Brazil's FBs were up high, the remaining CBs and DMs shared duties to defend the space left behind. When Cafu was attacking, Baiano often went out to cover the right flank, with Dunga falling back into defense in his place (example at 24:05). Sometimes the teamwork had to be more improvised. CBs need good pace and anticipation. A risk remains: Baiano was crucially caught out before Denmark's first goal, Dunga easily overrun in one situation, when he was forced out wide against Laudrup.

Dunga's casual miracle pass at 55:20 (Carlos offside)

Roberto Carlos cissor-kick clearance way up the field :drool:, later fecking up the same move in his own box to gift Laudrup his goal :lol:

Nice slow-mo at 18:14, with the Brazil crowd in the background anticipating Bebeto's goal

Dribbling truly was Denilson's plan A, B, and C

:)

Jim Beam

We can all agree that Brian Laudrup celebration is one of the best though.

Great opener @Jim Beam
Cheers Synco, I wanted a bit lighter opener for people to get more involved and it was basically a fun game, so think in that sense it served the purpose.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Cafu & Carlos FB partnership was impressive to watch, Cafu even more gung-ho regarding balance (imo), but Carlos much funnier.
Carlos actually said before the game that Cafu would play more offensively, while he would adjust his playing style according to the situation on hand.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Carlos actually said before the game that Cafu would play more offensively, while he would adjust his playing style according to the situation on hand.
Cheers, that's interesting. Probably also explains the tendency of Baiano to shift to his side's flank more often than the (slower) Aldair did on the left. Gives the impression that the whole team has been fine-tuned quite well.

Matchweek 2

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

The great Lisbon Lions, reigning champions of Europe, face the all-mighty Peñarol, probably the best South American team of that era. Peñarol won Copa Libertadores in 1960, 1961 and 1966 and International Cup in 1961 (beating Benfica) and 1966 (beating Real Madrid).

Despite the game being classified as a friendly, Jock Stein kept reminding everyone that European Champions don't play friendlies.
Jock Stein said:
I think our full line-up will give us a big psychological advantage. We want to play as we did against Inter Milan and we want to win the match
Peñarol had been taking part in the Ramon de Caranza tournament in Cadiz. After losing the semi-final to Valencia – who went on to beat Real Madrid 2-1 in the final – the Uruguayan side beat Vasco Da Gama of Brazil 3:1 in the 3rd place match.

There was an unusual piece in one of the evening papers. Three players – Bertie Auld, Peter Cormack (Hibs) and Jimmy Smith (Aberdeen) had all been called up by the SFA Disciplinary Committee to answer charges of misconduct. That seemed to be quite normal but the offences were for incidents occurring nearly two months previously.

Bertie’s offence was in the testimonial match against Real Madrid in the Bernabeu on 7th June and the other two players were ordered off in a close-season tournament in the USA. That does seem a long time to keep the players waiting but when challenged on the decision, the Committee said that they had only received the paperwork this week.

---------------------------

Celtic------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Peñarol
Simpson--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Mazurkiewicz
Craig, Gemmell--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Lezeano, Figueroa
Murdoch, McNeill, Clark-----------------------------------------------------------Forlan, Gonçalves, Gonzalez
Johnstone, Wallace, Chalmers, Lennox, Auld-------------------------Abbedie, Rocha, Spencer, Cortes, Joya​

NB:
There's another option — here's the footage without the watermark, not sure if the quality is significantly different or not.
Click here

Šjor Bepo

god i hate friendlies :lol: the intensity, pressure just isnt there and you cant miss it. Saying that it was a fun watch as it was a nice set of players that id probably never watch on my own.
Pretty much the opposite of the last week, great team beat a set of great individual players(they are that at least in this version with lack of intensity).
Mazurkiewicz and Johnstone, two star players battling for a wanker of the week. Mazurkiewicz to blame for both goals(shocking defending from whole defence tbf) and was in general a bit shaky on crosses, had few good saves later but in the game where you at fault for 2 goals in a 2:1 defeat then those saves mean feck all, but even where he was directly involved in deciding a winner of the game i just cant take the title of Jinky. What he produced in first half i dont think i ever saw before, he made a first pass after 20+ minutes and it was from a corner kick! Was so frustrating to watch specially cause he was losing the ball all the time, reckon at HT Stein had a word with him as in the second half he was more generous with the ball but that was also just until Penarol scored for 2:1 and Jinky went back to being a moron, thankfully they didnt pass him the ball much after. Abbadie and Joya both pretty average and while you can see why could Joya be unplayable on his day Abbadie looked pretty limited.

Now to the positives. Spencer scored a lovely goal and you could see his quality during the whole game even though it wasnt the best game from him either though its hard to shine when all your creators create feck all for you.
Goncalves is a class act, way ahead of his time. Probably a player that would transition to a modern game the easiest and not only that, i reckon any manager would love to have him in the team and with more intelligent teammates he would shine even more.
MOTM goes to Tommy Gemmell, wonderful performance on both flanks! Defending a bit shaky at times though in general did well but was fantastic offensive wise. Great use of the ball which is the most surprising part for that era and specially for a fullback! Honestly couldnt tell the whole game if he is right footed or left!
Player of the week - Gemmell
Wanker of the week - Johnstone

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Haven’t caught the game yet but @Šjor Bepo’s unforgiving assessment tallies with a lot of the other footage I’ve seen of both teams.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Agree with most of what @Šjor Bepo has written, except that I don't hate friendlies. Nice choice @harms, learned a lot about several players & got introduced to both teams.

Celtic clearly a tight unit, attacking and defending together, and they showed up more than their opponents. Penarol visibly capable of a cultured passing game & physicality, but sometimes lacked intensity to really show it.

Some impressions:

Gemmell
Best player on the pitch, two-footed attacking FB (I suspect his natural foot is the right, but that seems neglectable). Wasn't even too gung-ho, stood back at times, and mostly found a decent balance. Not 100% watertight at the back at all times, but those were just a few scenes. If that was his normal level, he should be a great LB choice for draft matches (and apparently even RB).

Goncalves
Just as Sjor said, and like described in antohan's profile. Easy to see that he was a great player with modern characteristics. Stylistically not too far from Dunga in our first DDS game, I'd say.

Figueroa
Third full game I've seen from him, and in all of them I had the impression he's a defender first of all - I honestly saw no extraordinary, libero-like significance for the buildup game. Based on these games I have him down as a disciplined CB with the occasional attacking run, but that's far from conclusive of course. I'd be happy if someone could point me to a match where he takes on a more expansive role, especially with his passing game.

Mazurkiewicz
Funnily, I found him quite impressive, in a way. That said, he was at fault for Celtic's first goal, suspect for the second, and had another shaky moment in HT2, all of this coming from crosses of some sort. What I did like was his anticipation against through balls, his inclination to catch the ball instead of punching it, and to quickly start attacks with throws. There may be some modern elements to his game, I'd have to watch more of him. And he made five saves, some really impressive. But the overall performance was of course tainted by his mishaps.

Johnstone
Again, just as Sjor said. But I want to add that he showed great commitment tracking back, seemed like a proper two-way player.
Wanker of the week - Johnstone
:lol:

Šjor Bepo

Not to late to join the party scrappy, but if you dont want invi will pick :)

Matchweek 3

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Footballia Link

...........VS..................

Date: Saturday, 29th April 1972
Venue: Wembley Stadium, London

Euro 1972 Qualifying Form Guide

England: WWWDW
West Germany: WWWWD

Previous Meetings

West Germany 3—2 England

West Germany 1—0 England

England 4—2 West Germany

England 1—0 West Germany

West Germany 0—1 England

Head to Head Record

England wins: 7
West Germany / Germany wins: 2
Draws: 1

Managers

Alf Ramsey and Helmut Schön

Team News

England

Starting XI: Gordon Banks, Paul Madeley, Norman Hunter, Bobby Moore, Emlyn Hughes, Colin Bell, Alan Ball, Francis Lee, Martin Peters, Martin Chivers, Geoff Hurst
Substitutes: Peter Shilton, Peter Storey, Larry Lloyd, Alan Mullery, Rodney Marsh

West Germany

Starting XI: Sepp Maier, Horst-Dieter Höttges, Franz Beckenbauer, Hans-Georg Schwarzenbeck, Paul Breitner, Herbert Wimmer, Günter Netzer, Uli Hoeneß, Jürgen Grabowski, Siegfried Held, Gerd Müller
Substitutes: Rainer Bonhof, Michael Bella, Heinz Flohe, Jupp Heynckes, Wolfgang Kleff

Euro 1972 Qualifying Top Scorers

Martin Chivers (5 goals) and Gerd Müller (7 goals)

Referee

Robert Héliès (France)

Captains

Bobby Moore and Franz Beckenbauer