Dead Drafters Society

Watching modern games as well or just games pre 2000?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
@Fortitude
Guess you've seen it already, but game of the week is Denmark-Netherlands, EURO 92 SF, and it's up until Sunday. (Although no one will be blamed for posting at any later point.)

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
@Fortitude
Guess you've seen it already, but game of the week is Denmark-Netherlands, EURO 92 SF, and it's up until Sunday. (Although no one will be blamed for posting at any later point.)
Might be a bit short on time for me, that one, but I'll try. Haven't seen that match in literal decades!

Think I'll end up watching it even if I'm too late to watch it within the timeframe before the next game is posted.

Cheers, Synco.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Perfect storm this for the Dutch:
  • Attacking formation - looked like a 3-3-3-1 - that gave Denmark space on the counter.
  • Compounded by the lack of pace in the Dutch back three. They were lucky to escape many more yellows and potentially reds hauling down surging Danes. Wouters probably should have been sent off twice and Koeman once, but you forget referees were still nowhere near as attacker-friendly as they are today.
  • Denmark were supreme counter-attackers. Laudrup the clear conduit and fulcrum, but the likes of Larsen, Povlsen and Vilfort linked well and used the ball economically.
A couple of other thoughts:
  • Rijkaard had a really flexible role in this tournament. In the Germany game he played midfield but ended up in defence to shore things up. Here he is in midfield, but ends up very high and gets the late equaliser. Basically going where he felt best placed to meet the needs of the team.
  • Koeman and De Boer in the same defence was just pure sexy football and some of the overloads down the flank were tasty. That said, I think the Dutch struggled to move the ball forward purposely in the first half because they were looking into the low setting sun and were struggling to see. That's not normally a problem at the top level, but the stadia in Sweden had fairly low stands.
  • Van Breukelen should have saved two of the Danish penalties.
And the shootout gave birth to perhaps the finest penalty-related photograph of all time:

:drool:

Last edited:
Matchweek 5

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Manchester United vs Barcelona

Champions League 1998-1999
Group stage, matchday 1
Old Trafford (Manchester)
September 16, 1998

Lineups:

Coach
Ferguson56
Coach
Van Gaal47

Twenty years on, it remains one of Old Trafford’s most electrifying European nights, one which set the tone for United’s defining continental adventure.

The thousands that watched from the stands, singing and howling into the Manchester night, thought they’d never see another game like it. They weren’t the only ones. Watching events unfold inside the Theatre of Dreams, you would have been encouraged to predict the 1998/99 Champions League peaked early.

https://footballia.net/matches/manchester-united-fc-barcelona-champions-league-1998-1999

Indnyc

Manchester United vs Barcelona

Champions League 1998-1999
Group stage, matchday 1
Old Trafford (Manchester)
September 16, 1998

Lineups:

Coach
Ferguson56
Coach
Van Gaal47

Twenty years on, it remains one of Old Trafford’s most electrifying European nights, one which set the tone for United’s defining continental adventure.

The thousands that watched from the stands, singing and howling into the Manchester night, thought they’d never see another game like it. They weren’t the only ones. Watching events unfold inside the Theatre of Dreams, you would have been encouraged to predict the 1998/99 Champions League peaked early.

https://footballia.net/matches/manchester-united-fc-barcelona-champions-league-1998-1999
Yes!! Before I picked the Denmark - Netherlands game I was contemplating either this one or 2006-2007 vs. Milan at home (Late Rooney winner)

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Great choice, looking forward to the Keane/Scholes midfield, and Figo/Rivaldo on the other side.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
This game is also notable because Xavi made his CL debut.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
@Fortitude tag as its your first time, "group" watch is on wednesday night(CL time) but if you cant just watch it whenever :)

Šjor Bepo

cnuts, im going alone and everyone else will be in competition for wanker of the week.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Have a headache this evening, will rather watch another time. So cross me from the wankers list.

Šjor Bepo

this team <3 best we ever had, no contest.

Šjor Bepo

Amazing game, love this team so much :drool:
Only "regret" is that Scholes wasnt at his peak with this team....

Much better team that Barca, both on the day and in general. Even with 10 man we didnt look much worse then them, we pressed, we attacked and played some decent stuff. With 11 we battered them, feck knows how they got a draw, bouncy castle for one goal, stupid penalty from Stam and even dumber move from Butt for the second penalty.

I never really liked him as a player(like him more now) but Neville was soo good and one of those players that gets shafted in drafts because he doesnt have a standout quality. Quietly brilliant this game as well, always in right place, passing very good, more often then not uses the best possible solution in attack.
Keane was immense, another day in the officer for him. Giggs was flying first half, disappeared second. Yorke and Ole both very good(Yorke better), that whole striker force was insane. Any of the four would be comfortably the best striker in post RVP United era.

From Barca both star players were disappointing. Rivaldo a bit better but nothing to write poems about. Figo was a major candidate for the wanker award after first half but improved in the second half, still didnt trouble as much. Their left side was proper crap, both Sergi and Zenden were utter shit.
Best player from them and by a country mile was Luis Enrique. Not so much in the first half but second half he was everywhere.

Player of the week - Becks
Insane player at his peak, absolutely insane. Dont care how ridiculous id sound but i wouldnt take any winger ahead of him. Proper team player, works harder then anyone else on the pitch and influences the game massively. With or without end product and boy did he had one....

Wanker of the week - Butt
Replaced Ole after 60 minutes ccs, got sent off 15ish minutes after. No problems with him getting the red card its just the way he got it. Lets say he saved the goal with his handball, opponent still scored the penalty and you screwed your team to play 10v11 for 20 minutes. Sheer stupidity, that move only makes sense if its 5 or less minutes before the end.

2mufc0

Supports
Dragon of Dojima
So just watched the first half will watch the second tomorrow.

Agree with Sjor, Beckham has been the outstanding player first half, pretty much created both goals and most of our play went through his side. Giggs took his goal nicely and has been a threat with his pace. But jeez some of those crosses by Beckham are exceptional and that's not to mention his long range passing and how well he switches the play. He's been out shining some of the draft regular players in the game.

Keane is the other player that has stood out for me first half, such a positive player always looking for the forward pass. Overall we've been the better team and dominated the half. Our style of play was very entertaining, direct, high tempo, with crisp passing, no time to dwell on the ball.

As for Barcelona they haven't been great, all of their play has been through Rivaldo (maybe tactical) who's been OK, too many long shots, but he doesn't really have any decent options in front of him. Figo hasn't been in the game, a big part is because they've been getting Rivaldo on the ball at evey opportunity, they could do with the variation and give Figo the ball a bit more.

Šjor Bepo

nobody watching it or just to lazy to post? i was hoping that Becks would get some love :( Absolute robbery he didnt win balon dor that year.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Didn't have the time yesterday and today, but I'll give it a watch.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Scholes was in and out but ghosts in for a goal. But neither Scholes nor Keane were really influential in our midfield. Butt coming in and getting sent off didn't help either.

Beckham was awesome. Most influential player in 1st half. 2 assists and was involved in third goal too. Simply phenomenal. Workrate was awesome and always a threat both with his crosses and flank switches. Man of the Match.

Yorke was single-handedly holding the attack together. Ever present in buildup and regularly shows in box. That bicycle kick. Amazing! A close second behind Becks for MotM. Really surprised he didn't get a mention till now. Was often in right wing when Becks dropped deep, always on the move to receive the ball...just the glue which held the team together. What a underrated player!

They way the announcer shouts gol, gol, gol after Barca goals was funny.

Šjor Bepo

Couldnt disagree more on Keane, agree on Yorke though Ole was pretty good as well - great movement, good link up play but lacked a finishing touch on the day.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I'm trying to get some undisturbed time to myself so I can sit down and take in the games rather than have half an eye on it.

Plan was to do that in the night, but I've conked out a few times, so that hasn't exactly gone to plan.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Couldnt disagree more on Keane, agree on Yorke though Ole was pretty good as well - great movement, good link up play but lacked a finishing touch on the day.
Yeah, but you love Davids so it is logical. He runs o lot and has a cool glasses.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
A couple of briefer comments:
  • Beckham had one of the best games of his career. In fact it could be his Keane in Turin moment (moreso than than the Greece game). He gave Sergi a torrid time and the Barcelona central defence could not cope with the accuracy, purpose or speed of his delivery, while their midfield struggled with his energy and enterprise.
  • That Barcelona back line was really poor for a match between two of the best teams in Europe. An ageing Abelardo and the ropey Reiziger offered flimsy resistance against Yorke. With that handicap the rest of their team did tremendously well to win the league that year.
  • Scholes seemed to flit in and out of the game, which was quite typical of that stage in his evolution towards a playmaking central midfielder.
  • Barcelona didn't have much control over the match, yet the quality of their attack - who were relatively quiet in the first half - was such that they still created a load of chances as the game wore on. Figo wasn't involved much and Irwin kept a decent handle on him from what I saw. Luis Enrique gave one of his Keane+goals displays.

Šjor Bepo

Ah I'll pass I forgot to keep up with this and I can't think of a game old enough. Suggestion to watch this at some point if you get some extra spare time though...

https://footballia.net/matches/italy-japan
was thinking only pre 2000 games though never really post it here, if people want to watch a newer one like this im fine as i loved that Japan side so will let them to decide.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
was thinking only pre 2000 games though never really post it here, if people want to watch a newer one like this im fine as i loved that Japan side so will let them to decide.
Yeah that's why I passed, I've not really had a think about what to watch, just that game is one of my favourites ever for a game not involving United.