Dead Drafters Society

Watching modern games as well or just games pre 2000?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Those 90s group stages were fecking festivals of football, loved the game!

Both teams playing without a break and going for a jugular. Proper run and gun stuff, shame we lost Keano in the middle as the game would be much more interesting, McClair couldnt really catch the tempo of the game. But Keano.....there is absolutely nothing that man cant do, moved to a CB after 10 minutes cca and puts a damn good performance against a great attack of Boksic and Del Piero. Had few shaky moments but did much better then you would expect from a midfielder, specially considering the type of game.
Butt once again brainless, both for the penalty and in game though it has to be said he improved a bit in the second half. Becks good but disappointing in big moments. Giggs quiet in first half, very good in second. Cantona few classy moves but disappointing in general.
Ronny Johnsen was pretty good even though he played out of position as leftback for majority of the game. Schmeichel was quality.
Deschamps was great for Juve, such a underrated player in drafts....

Wanker of the week - Zizou

Player of the week - Zizou
Ran the game, was even pretty good defensive wise. For majority of the game we couldnt get near, absolute quality on the ball, calmness - magician.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Finally finished the United-Barca game.

Much has already been said, Beckham & Keane were brilliant. Scholes rather erratic at times, but his class on the ball showed in some moments.

Don't fully agree with the comments about Figo going missing - it wasn't a great game, but I saw him involved in the buildup of attacks pretty often. Especially interesting how much time he spent in the center, even coming from the left on a few occasions. In the Corona CL final, Lahm would have had plenty of opportunities for overlapping.

Henning Berg's passing in buildup was absolutely mint, proper playmaking from the back. Didn't expect that.

Luis Enrique was remarkably good in the second half, classy player.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
By the way, finally watched the Barca - Utd a few evenings back. Becks was brilliant. But what was that horrible decision with the last penalty? You're denying Barca a goal that they've already scored and give them a penalty against Schmeichel... fair play to Enrique, who had executed it perfectly.

harms

Staff
Oh, and another funny thing about that Barca - United game was the commentary. I'm not even going to criticise it much, it's quite unfair to do it in hindsight, but it was rather telling in terms of how unrealistic our potential treble was.

Stam's status as the world's most expensive defender was basically ridiculed and he was said to be a flop (already)! Which culminated after he had conceded a penalty, of course. We all know Beckham's story with the World Cup. Schmeichel wasn't the same Schmeichel that had won the Euros basically all by himself. Cantona's retirement was also mentioned as this team had supposedly lacked leaders, as well as a world-class presence up front. Solskjaer was said to be a disappointment that failed to replace him... and also, the team's peak was already over. Their best chance of winning the CL came last season, but they were eliminated by Monaco.

Šjor Bepo

Real hold his own in this game but you can see the gulf between the sides. Two sweepers had very good games, both with one major feck up per half - Gallego and Baresi. Tbf Baresi was better of the two, was going forward a lot and his influence was visible all over the pitch. Was interesting to see as Rijkaard who was his defensive partner was also not shy of joining up so the chemistry between the two and of the whole team was pretty fantastic to pull that of.

Ancelotti and Schuster were pretty good in the middle, both sitting deep. Gullit and Van Basten for the second time pretty poor considering the reputation. Gullit nullified in the first half, second half he upped his game a bit, scored a legitimate goal that was dissalowed, had few great runs of the ball that were ignored and then he got subbed. Van Basten was even worse but Sacchi waited for him and the boy wonder delivered, great header but got very lucky in the end with a turd keeper.
Butragueno also didnt have his best day but showed glimpses of why he was a spectacular to watch usually.

Player of the week - Rijkaard
Denzel at his best, switching between midfielder and centerback role with ease at times, dominating in duels and good usage of ball, had one big mistake but recovered well.

Wanker of the week - Buyo
Lack of wanker candidates so will go with a random guy. Shocking keeping for the goal and who knows how the second game would went if they won this.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Great choice Sjor, really fun game. Takeaways:

- Milan's pressing and spacing bothered Real a lot initially (including Schuster). But when Milan slowed down a bit, Real was dangerous with their quick attacks.

- It's remarkable how much more space there was compared to today, even with a tactically visionary Serie A side like Sacchi's. Game went up and down in transition a lot.

- The Butragueno & Hugo Sanchez duo looked good in principle, even if not everything worked out. Sanchez is one of the players who could easily feature more in all-time drafts.

- Rijkaard & Baresi played like the deluxe version of Rijkaard/Koeman. At least once, both Milan CBs went on a deep attacking run together :D

- Schuster was really committed defensively throughout the game. Covering in defensive midfield, defending in his own box, fighting, slide tackling. That's one more question sorted for me.

- I really liked Ancelotti, intelligent playmaker with an eye for attacking opportunities, and defensive presence as well.

- Van Basten ran & put in a shift in offense & defense. A bit hit & miss in possession.

- The offside decision for Gullit's goal was pretty ridiculous.

And a bit more on Rijkaard:
As offensive in his CB role as he was for the Netherlands. He really is one of the best center backs I've ever watched, for his stunning offensive and defensive repertoire. To me he looks similarly outstanding as an attack-minded CB as he does at DM. Probably few people will agree, but I'd say if he played there throughout his career, we may be talking about something approaching Figueroa caliber.

Only thing I didn't like was an occasional rashness in tacklings, which happened maybe two times in this game.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Milan so much more physical. And they blow hot and cold. Couple of balls given away in key positions near goals.
Surprised Rijkaard's volleyball attempt did't get a card. More than couple of cards all through. Very thug-like defending, but showed class when they had the ball.
Maldini in opponent's box within first 10 mins. Baresi and Maldini are quite attacking. Frantic pace.

Butragueno's touch is quite good. But he drifted in and out of the game.
Schuster's distribution is amazing from the deep.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
@Pat_Mustard', it's your turn this week :)

@GodShaveTheQueen, did you pass it up for good, or do you want to pick one of the next ones?
I can suggest one if you are out of ideas (unlikely), the 1978 WC final which I dont think enough people have watched, but I haven't participated and don't plan to currently, so thought it might be best for me to be skipped or dropped out.

I did enjoy reading all the analysis though. It was a great idea indeed.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.

DVG7

I’ll pick a match whenever there’s a requirement to, got a few good ones in mind

harms

Staff
As offensive in his CB role as he was for the Netherlands. He really is one of the best center backs I've ever watched, for his stunning offensive and defensive repertoire. To me he looks similarly outstanding as an attack-minded CB as he does at DM. Probably few people will agree, but I'd say if he played there throughout his career, we may be talking about something approaching Figueroa caliber.
I don't even think that it's that huge of a claim. He has quite a good resume as a center back (mostly on the back of his 1988 performance), so he had showed that he can play there in theory — and when you look at his individual skillset, he has literally everything that you want in your ideal center back. And then some.

harms

Staff

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I don't even think that it's that huge of a claim. He has quite a good resume as a center back (mostly on the back of his 1988 performance), so he had showed that he can play there in theory — and when you look at his individual skillset, he has literally everything that you want in your ideal center back. And then some.
Absolutely. I was just I aware of how high I set the bar when comparing to Figueroa. But all the better if others see it the same way.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
In some ways this game does a disservice to the legacy of that great Real Madrid team (5 titles, record goalscoring). They were out-thought in a way you only see between top teams every decade or two, when one team is playing football from the future and the other is still playing the game that has served them well for the last few years. The scoreline was a little harsh as Real had a few chances of their own, but their heads went amid the panic of what was unfolding around them.
Schuster's distribution is amazing from the deep.
Yes. He looked like the best passer of a ball on the park. So positive and capable of punching it sharply through the lines at pace.
- It's remarkable how much more space there was compared to today, even with a tactically visionary Serie A side like Sacchi's. Game went up and down in transition a lot.
Milan were highly compact with their aggressive offside trap, high line and collective pressing. Madrid were more strung out, preferring the open space of transitions, but repeatedly caught out by Baresi stepping the line up.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Milan were highly compact with their aggressive offside trap, high line and collective pressing. Madrid were more strung out, preferring the open space of transitions, but repeatedly caught out by Baresi stepping the line up.
For the beginning of the game I agree (wrote that at the beginning of my post). Milan smothered Real there. But as the game progressed, I felt compactness went down quite a bit, midfield was bypassed easier, and Real was dangerous on the break. My perception at least - if you strongly disagree, I may have to get back to that game at some later point.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
For the beginning of the game I agree (wrote that at the beginning of my post). Milan smothered Real there. But as the game progressed, I felt compactness went down quite a bit, midfield was bypassed easier, and Real was dangerous on the break. My perception at least - if you strongly disagree, I may have to get back to that game at some later point.
Aye, don't disagree with that. The game seemed to open up into that gung-ho mode particularly as Real got more desperate.

I wonder how Red Star would have got on had they prevailed against Milan in the previous round.
Wanker of the week - Buyo
Lack of wanker candidates so will go with a random guy. Shocking keeping for the goal and who knows how the second game would went if they won this.
Yes. What was that keeping for Ancelotti's goal?!

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Aye, don't disagree with that. The game seemed to open up into that gung-ho mode particularly as Real got more desperate.
Another thing that crossed my mind: I once read about the average running distances 50 years back (or something) and today. I haven't memorized the numbers, but it was stunning - something like 4-5 vs 10+ perhaps? This game was 1989, but it still may play a role in the decline of compactness during the match. This effect exists today as well of course, but less drastic.

So I guess progress in pressing & general compactness has relied a lot on progress in general sport science & fitness regimes. If I don't misremember, Lobanovskyi was a bit of a nutter in that department, and it would be interesting to know if Sacchi was too.

Last edited:

harms

Staff
The scoreline was a little harsh as Real had a few chances of their own, but their heads went amid the panic of what was unfolding around them.
Were we watching 1:1 or 5:0?

Šjor Bepo

judging by the response to me he was watching the second leg :D

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Romario just killer poacher. One on one and he scores.
That Bergkamp goal was outta nowhere! Overall Bergkamp's movement was awesome. So involved in both buildup and regularly in the box too. Scruffed up a golden opportunity at 40mins in.
Koeman spends more time in opposition box than his own, seems like.
Blind, Koeman, De Boer, Popescu...sweepers galore in the starting lineup.

MotM: Bergkamp

Šjor Bepo

Lovely game in the end, PSV absolutely battered them. Bobby Robson special <3
Thought they were miles better then Ajax as a team, and thats even with that feckwit Romario strolling through the pitch for 90 minutes like an absolute Don that he is :drool: Kieft was also fantastic for them, missed a sitter but absolute menace whole game...looks like a target man but guy was everywhere and looked like a proper player. In comparison, Ajax striker looked like a random fan won a place in the team on the lottery, PSV fan i might add.
Bergkamp was the only one showing quality, Blind was terrible, keeper was even worse and others looked very average.

Player of the week - Van Breukelen
Dominant performance. Some great saves, commanded his area, was quick from the line which was a pleasant surprise given he was 35 at the time.

Wanker of the week - Roy
Second appearance in dead drafters and yet again a braindead performance. Pretty much a perfect example of a winger brain.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
I have an idea, but would like to look for alternatives a bit.

If the club can agree on @GodShaveTheQueen's suggestion of the 1978 WC final as a top quality filler, I'd pick next week.

Šjor Bepo

people not watching games anymore? :( very little input from majority after a good start, though im slacking this week as well, will watch tomorrow