Dead Drafters Society

Watching modern games as well or just games pre 2000?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
people not watching games anymore? :( very little input from majority after a good start, though im slacking this week as well, will watch tomorrow
I’m three quarters through the final, been getting distracted by ITV and BBC’s repeats of Euro 96 and old World Cups.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
On Argentina - Netherlands:

- Kempes bossing the game from the middle of the pitch. Serious defensive presence as well.
- Real bad luck for the Netherlands with Rensenbrink hitting the post right before the full time whistle, and the unlucky bounce for Kempes' second goal.
- Krol more of a dominant libero playmaker than Passarella in this game (imo); the latter playing a bit more restrained, but with unreal presence at set pieces.
- Fillol with two crucial saves, but shaky as soon as he leaves the goalline.
- Ardiles looking smooth with his chewing gum.
- Dirty, violent game in the latter parts of the match, pretty disgraceful.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Next game:

Netherlands vs Czech Republic EURO 2004
https://footballia.net/matches/netherlands-czech-republic
Technically too recent, but all players have retired by now, so still a classic game for me.

If people insist on the pre-2000 rule, I choose this game from 1999+1 instead:
https://footballia.net/matches/france-italy
Lets stick by the rules so pick a third one(would usually let the second go as its close but watched it fairly recently so pick again :lol: )
Yet to watch the final from last week, will probably do it tonight:wenger:

Šjor Bepo

at HT, awful game so far and its mainly because of the pitch...i mean how can you play the WC final on that shit!?

Šjor Bepo

Game improved a bit with time but still it was a painful watch for majority of 120 minutes. Neither team played well IMO, difference was argie stars showed up(Fillol, Passarella, Kempes) while dutch ones didnt(Krol, Neeskens, Rensenbrink).
But what a circus of the game, argentinians playing like absolute scum wit deliberate handballs(at one point i thought i turned Last Dance by mistake), diving whining so i was watching and trying to pick just one for a wanker of the week but then the last 5 minutes came and decision was a no brainer.

Player of the week - Kempes
Was fantastic, few drafts i was lurking at possibility of picking him but never really watched him properly so was never quite sure whats his game of the ball. Unstoppable when gets going with his long legs, combined well and worked as hard as anyone on that pitch. Top performance. As mentioned previously, Fillol and Passarella were close but you cant see past a player that overall played great and scored two goals.

Wanker of the week - Neeskens
Think this game ruined Neeskens for me, cant see myself picking him anytime soon. First of all he was wank for the whole game and tbh i dont mind that, can happen but then last few minutes happen....3:1 down and he standing like an absolute prick in front of a keeper, keeper moves and this spoiled brat follows him for a good few seconds. Game not that easy without proper Johan isnt it...

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Game improved a bit with time but still it was a painful watch for majority of 120 minutes. Neither team played well IMO, difference was argie stars showed up(Fillol, Passarella, Kempes) while dutch ones didnt(Krol, Neeskens, Rensenbrink).
But what a circus of the game, argentinians playing like absolute scum wit deliberate handballs(at one point i thought i turned Last Dance by mistake), diving whining so i was watching and trying to pick just one for a wanker of the week but then the last 5 minutes came and decision was a no brainer.

Player of the week - Kempes
Was fantastic, few drafts i was lurking at possibility of picking him but never really watched him properly so was never quite sure whats his game of the ball. Unstoppable when gets going with his long legs, combined well and worked as hard as anyone on that pitch. Top performance. As mentioned previously, Fillol and Passarella were close but you cant see past a player that overall played great and scored two goals.

Wanker of the week - Neeskens
Think this game ruined Neeskens for me, cant see myself picking him anytime soon. First of all he was wank for the whole game and tbh i dont mind that, can happen but then last few minutes happen....3:1 down and he standing like an absolute prick in front of a keeper, keeper moves and this spoiled brat follows him for a good few seconds. Game not that easy without proper Johan isnt it...
Watched this one years back researching obscure DM Gallego. Such a filthy match to round off an almost certainly corrupt tournament, with Gio's response to my GIF capturing the spirit of the game :lol:

Such a properly dirty match that one. There's probably four yellow cards in that single GIF. Loved it.
I had Kempes in that same draft as well and was hugely sold on him after watching this and other WC 78 stuff, but he's never seemed to fully catch on in drafts. So much energy off the ball and a livewire on it.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Few thoughts on the '78 Final:
  • Holland had a lot of play in the first two thirds of the park, but I thought they had to resort to long balls to then unlock from there. Clearly lacked a linking #10 presence to join it up and close the gap between their midfield and the front three, which probably reflects how systematically reliant they were on Cruyff through the 1970s.
  • The quality of the pitch didn't help, but a lot of the long passing was erratic, often missing their intended targets. Argentina were better at threading balls down the line for Ortiz and Bertoni to chase, but some of the better Dutch players didn't have the same success.
  • Midfield was basically a warzone with Kempes emerging out of the battlefield with the ball every now and then. While Ardiles showed the signs of the injury which almost ruled him out and wasn't at his best, Argentina lost some control of the game when he came off.
  • The all-round games of the Dutch midfield were seriously impressive. They lacked some craft going forward, but the ball-winning of Van de Kerkhof was particularly noteworthy.
  • Kempes was simply immense. Frankly I am struggling to think of a better World Cup Final performance. Three injections of decisive-match-winning quality allied with doing all the unfancy stuff off the ball. How often do we see that combination?
  • The Argentina defence was a bit better than I may have given them credit for in the past. Passarella was imperious as expected, but even the likes of Gavan and Tarantini were mostly on point.
  • I liked Houseman's cameo near the end. Along with Bertoni and Ortiz, they all had tidy feet and caused problems on the break for Holland.
  • Rep missed good chances in two finals in a row, poor lad.
  • Some proper football royalty in ITV's coverage of the final - Cruyff, Clough, Keegan and Crerand.

Šjor Bepo

@Gio I didnt like Tarantini and Gavan tbh, often step behind Passarella in offside traps, deliberate handballs, rush in tackles etc.

Bertoni looked like he could be great if he didnt had a winger brain.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
@Gio I didnt like Tarantini and Gavan tbh, often step behind Passarella in offside traps, deliberate handballs, rush in tackles etc.

Bertoni looked like he could be great if he didnt had a winger brain.
Yes, fair comments on both - although they showed plenty of hussle in the 1v1 stuff, their positioning and reading of the game wasn't great.

Šjor Bepo

Game was fun to watch and time pretty much flied away but thought the quality of the game was not that high, both teams played pretty poor and even the individuals didnt stand up really apart from few defensive performances.

If you ignore the mistakes, Sammer was probably the best player on the pitch but made a poor clearance for the second goal and made a clear penalty that wasnt given. Also Sousa absolutely destroyed him in the middle with a dribbling:drool:
Baggio was another one that looked quality but not much to play of with it, Sousa was a bit meh, Vialli looked good for 10 minutes of 75 he spent on the pitch which tbf was 10 more then the siver fox Ravanelli. Del Piero looked decent in his short cameo. Ferrara played surprisingly well in the rightback position.

Player of the week - Kohler
They shorten the replay + angle as crap to see who fecked up for the first goal but it was on the opposite side of Kohler i think. Other then that he did his job pretty well and scored a late equaliser, in a game short of standouts its enough for a MOTM.

Wanker of the week - P. Sousa
Thought it would be Andy Moller tbh because its Andy Moller(scored a brilliant goal btw) but hate cry babies and fake tough guys, think Sousa was fouled once in whole game and started to cry and act tough. feck off you fraud.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I'll try to rewatch this, although I'm not sure if I'll have the time. Moore :drool:

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Ok, few more thoughts after I shamelessly ate and drank half of the table. Have a feeling I might end up talking to myself here, but that's the feeling am familiar already in real life.

So, that was afternoon well spent, thanks for the suggestion @Raees. Only watched the final long before, so not in a great memory, but this had to be the toughest game Brazil played in the tournament. First of all, both teams went blow for blow the whole 90 minutes, but (for a change) I thought England was better for larger parts. They prevented Brazil from dominating game/possession and looked more threatening all together. Moore as already mentioned was brilliant, Charlton even at the age of 33 pure class, but they lacked the cutting edge upfront to win this.
There was only one part of the game and that was first 15 minutes of the second half when Brazil was clearly on top which resulted in Jairzinho goal.

As for individual performances, at first thinking Pele didn't had a great game, but then you realize he should have scored (Banks save of the century) and along with that assist could have another one. Gerson was injured, so Rivelino moved in the centre and I thought he played very well. Didn't complicated, moved the ball fast and a solid defensive contribution. The fact that England managed to prevent Brazil midfield from dominating resulted in more space for Jairzinho and Paulo Cezar Caju on the left though. Jairzinho was pretty much as expected, almost unstoppable (if Moore wasn't close) 1 on 1, but too erratic with his passing for my liking. A game winner nevertheless, but that part of his game was missing. Caju on the left was brilliant though and a discovery for me. Class act all around.

Bepo award for wanker of the week goes to Jeff Astle. Poor Jeff managed to miss the whole goal from the point-blank and saved one of Brazil defenders from picking the award.

MoTM - Bobby Moore

Šjor Bepo

Nice summary, looking forward to this though it will have to wait for tomorrow as home alone is on schedule for today

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Nice summary, looking forward to this though it will have to wait for tomorrow as home alone is on schedule for today
:D

Maybe I praised England too much mind you, but expected Brazil to be more dominating. Realistically, it shoud have end something like 3-3 if not for Banks and Moore on one side and some shocking misses on the other side.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Ok, few more thoughts after I shamelessly ate and drank half of the table. Have a feeling I might end up talking to myself here, but that's the feeling am familiar already in real life.

So, that was afternoon well spent, thanks for the suggestion @Raees. Only watched the final long before, so not in a great memory, but this had to be the toughest game Brazil played in the tournament. First of all, both teams went blow for blow the whole 90 minutes, but (for a change) I thought England was better for larger parts. They prevented Brazil from dominating game/possession and looked more threatening all together. Moore as already mentioned was brilliant, Charlton even at the age of 33 pure class, but they lacked the cutting edge upfront to win this.
There was only one part of the game and that was first 15 minutes of the second half when Brazil was clearly on top which resulted in Jairzinho goal.

As for individual performances, at first thinking Pele didn't had a great game, but then you realize he should have scored (Banks save of the century) and along with that assist could have another one. Gerson was injured, so Rivelino moved in the centre and I thought he played very well. Didn't complicated, moved the ball fast and a solid defensive contribution. The fact that England managed to prevent Brazil midfield from dominating resulted in more space for Jairzinho and Paulo Cezar Caju on the left though. Jairzinho was pretty much as expected, almost unstoppable (if Moore wasn't close) 1 on 1, but too erratic with his passing for my liking. A game winner nevertheless, but that part of his game was missing. Caju on the left was brilliant though and a discovery for me. Class act all around.

Bepo award for wanker of the week goes to Jeff Astle. Poor Jeff managed to miss the whole goal from the point-blank and saved one of Brazil defenders from picking the award.

MoTM - Bobby Moore
Great summary of the game, pretty much nailed it in terms of conclusions.

Šjor Bepo

starting the game, as i never saw Jairzinho play well and kind a want to get hammered, decided to do a glass of @Jim Beam every time he loses possession, let the games begin.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
starting the game, as i never saw Jairzinho play well and kind a want to get hammered, decided to do a glass of @Jim Beam every time he loses possession, let the games begin.
You'll probably have to finish the bottle even if you were to go by Moore's challenges alone.

Šjor Bepo

though if he is a GOAT winger then no wonder the position was wiped out from the game. Speaking of GOAT, he just managed to dribble into Tostao who is btw his teammate

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
though if he is a GOAT winger then no wonder the position was wiped out from the game, speaking of GOAT, he just managed to run into Tostao who is btw his teammate
:lol:

Looking forward to watching the game tonight...