Dean Henderson image 26

Dean Henderson England flag

2019-20 Performances

View full 2019-20 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
He wont be the number 1 here. Dave's reputation and contract will make sure he will be the number 1 for years, regardless who is the better keeper. Henderson could come here and outperform him, Dave would still start most games and the league games/important cup games. That's how it goes
Hopefully the club have more common sense and a better attitude than you.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I'd send him on a two season loan to another premier league club on the basis that he'll be our number 1 when he comes back. If he continues to do well and De Gea drops off (which is a big possibility) - then it only makes sense he becomes our number 1. It's the same thing Chelsea have been doing for years and reaping the benefits.
Problem with that is that it would be a total of 7 years on loan. This is already his 5th. From everything he's said, it's his ambition to play for United, but surely at some point he's going to want to be a permanent fixture somewhere, here or elsewhere. 7 years of loaning seems excessive and its hard to imagine him wanting another 2 years of it.

izec

unfortunately they dont. Maybe you missed the last 7 years. Dean didn't, he knows how it goes. Not just here by the way. You are kidding yourself if you think this is a fair challenge.

TheReligion

Abusive
Did everyone forget he just committed his long term future to the club and spoke about how much he loves it?

He'll be playing for MUFC soon enough.

ovoxo

Did everyone forget he just committed his long term future to the club and spoke about how much he loves it?

He'll be playing for MUFC soon enough.
Completely agree. I think he’ll go out on loan again next season and then come back for the 2021/2022 season.

cyberman

Problem with that is that it would be a total of 7 years on loan. This is already his 5th. From everything he's said, it's his ambition to play for United, but surely at some point he's going to want to be a permanent fixture somewhere, here or elsewhere. 7 years of loaning seems excessive and its hard to imagine him wanting another 2 years of it.
You can only go by what he says though?

Name Changed

weso26
I can't imagine DDG leaving anytime soon. A couple of more years on loan at a good club and it may just be his time to take over. Great prospect.

He will be in the England squad by the end of the year.

Bondi77

It will be interesting how DeGea finishes the season and even if he gets the job at the Euros and the same goes for Henderson because depending on circumstances it is not impossible he could be between the sticks for England.
It is not that long ago that Chelsea had Cech in goal who is one of the best ever and Cortois on loan but Cortois after being superb while being on loan eventually got the nod.
I suppose the difference is that De Gea has just signed a bumper new contact and the club would be reluctant to pay astronomical wages to a bench warmer but then again that is what they are doing with Sanchez

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
De Gea + Pogba + Martial = Mbappe is the ideal solution.
That should be easy to sell to Mbappé. Just tell him to join a team that is trading it’s only World Class players to get you. Why the feck would he want to join a Pogba and De Gea -less United?!

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
There’s a decent chance De Gea will lose the #1 shirt for Spain, and an equal chance Henderson will gain it for England. If Henderson gets the #1 shirt, the media pressure will start on De Gea and the press will start their campaign to get Henderson into the United shirt.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Surely you can’t bail on De Gea after giving him a mega new contract

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He knows very well it's going to be nearly impossible to displace De Gea on ability alone but given he's also earning nearly 400k a week I hardly think we've got any intention of leaving him on the bench.
With massively ridiculous high wages, I'll sell DDG if there is good offer come in, no brainer. However, right now DDG should still be ahead of Dean. If no club is going to buy DDG then we will just keep loan Dean out to let him keep improving. Based on Ole's experienced with many goal keeper at United when he was a player, he knows that we can't just mess around with the goal keeper choice.

Karel Podolsky

Supports
Ex Laziale
This situation reminds me of Peter Cech vs Tibous Curtois at Chelsea (or to some extent, Shay Given vs Joe Hart :wenger:)

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
There’s a decent chance De Gea will lose the #1 shirt for Spain, and an equal chance Henderson will gain it for England. If Henderson gets the #1 shirt, the media pressure will start on De Gea and the press will start their campaign to get Henderson into the United shirt.
Yeah, he'll be the natural successor when the time is right. Not much in this discussion as it really isn't a problem, or at least it shouldn't be.

Jibbs

That should be easy to sell to Mbappé. Just tell him to join a team that is trading it’s only World Class players to get you. Why the feck would he want to join a Pogba and De Gea -less United?!
To form the best front three partnership in the world in the best league in the world, along with Rashford and Sancho.

Son

To form the best front three partnership in the world in the best league in the world, along with Rashford and Sancho.
Never gonna happen but imagine if a club had Rashford, Mbappe, Sancho and Pogba on the same team... Filth

sillwuka

I'm unsure of if Henderson will take anything less than being the undisputed number 1 keeper here because I'm sure he's got aspirations of taking the England spot.

De Gea will block his this path for the next few years because of the club's loyalty to him. Would it be a smart move coming in as the number 2 next season with the aim of surpassing DDG? Isn't this the only feasible way of making it here..?

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Common sense is the club is not going to want De Gea to loose his place. They have made a financial commitment to De Gea. We have made him the highest earning goalkeeper in the history of football in a contract that runs for another 5+ years. You invest that heavily in a player there is a pressure to ensure that investment isn't wasted. It also means in similar way to Sanchez means that if he was ever to leave the club during his contract it would be because we are paying part or most of his wages, the club is not going to want that to happen.

So De Gea will get every opportunity to hold onto his place, it would take an absolutely spectacular down turn in form by De Gea or a horrific injury for Henderson to get more than cup games at the club.

I'm not saying I agree with it, I think it was a mistake giving De Gea that size and lengh of contract, but the club made there choice so really the only way forward would be to sell Henderson why his value is high and use the money to invest in areas the squad that need it.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Had a few people say today that he surely can’t be sat on the bench next season with de Gea on an expensive new contract. 3rd season loan? If we can’t have him I hope we go for Ramsdale, if Bournemouth go down.

GBBQ

Hard to know what to do really. DDG is proven and even with his dip in form he's still top class. Henderson on the other hand has aced every audition so far but we don't know how he'll do behind our crazy defence or how he might react to being publically scapegoated by the media for a high profile loss. Plenty of players like Foster, Carroll, Hart, who look the business until they step up to the highest level where there's a much smaller margin for error.

Unless DDG agitates to move or suffers an incredible drop in form I just don't see Henderson getting much game time here over the next couple of seasons. And with the prime of keepers tending to be in the early 30s DDG might not be about to drop off any time soon.

AneRu

Yes and reinvest the money we get from De Gea to the team, i'd say he's worth around £30m

But finding a buyer for him could be difficult considering how much he's on...
I don't know how we can get the ball rolling regarding selling David. He has given us his best years and stayed when he clearly wanted out but I think, in a business sense, it's best to sell as it will reduce our wage bill considerably and we get a fee for him to reinvest into an outfield player.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Goalkeeper is a unique position, in that you can't really adopt a squad game or rotation like other positions. This means that we're reaching the point (in the summer) where we either need to make this guy our number one (and he probably deserves that on merit) or sell him to a team that will - he's done his stint on the loan market. Decision time

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's still got a long term contract until 2023. We can loan him for 2 more years just like Chelsea did with Courtois. Sheffield will be happy to have him for a few more years while he develops i'm sure.

For a goalkeeper I don't see why it makes any difference as long as they're playing.

spiriticon

Sad for us but we will probably lose him because the timing just isn't right for him to take over from De Gea.

We can loan him out for another season but that does not solve the problem, only delays it.

We should however, insist on a buyback clause if we sell him.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Hard to know what to do really. DDG is proven and even with his dip in form he's still top class. Henderson on the other hand has aced every audition so far but we don't know how he'll do behind our crazy defence or how he might react to being publically scapegoated by the media for a high profile loss. Plenty of players like Foster, Carroll, Hart, who look the business until they step up to the highest level where there's a much smaller margin for error.

Unless DDG agitates to move or suffers an incredible drop in form I just don't see Henderson getting much game time here over the next couple of seasons. And with the prime of keepers tending to be in the early 30s DDG might not be about to drop off any time soon.
Mentality is a big thing, and Foster never had it. Hart was a premier league winner but wasn't ever that good, and couldn't use his feet to the standard of a modern keeper. As soon as people also realised that he couldn't save anything to his left he was done for. Henderson doesn't have any obvious weaknesses, and seems to have the right mentality.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic

Well he has been outstanding since this 'harsh but true' assessment from Chris Wilder.

https://www.football365.com/news/wilder-ruthless-in-assessment-of-hendersons-liverpool-howler

It certainly worked better than Solskjaer coming out after every De Gea howler and claiming that "he's still unquestionably the best goalkeeper in the world", newsflash Ole, he's not.

This summer was, in my opinion, the time to give Henderson a chance but our clueless recruitment team decided to go another route and make De Gea the highest paid player in the Premier league.
There is zero chance of any other club coming in for him now because nobody else would be stupid enough to pay those wages.
We're stuck with De Gea for 5-6 years now no matter how badly he plays.
It was a massive mistake in my opinion (I honestly hope I'm wrong by the way).

the chameleon

Well he has been outstanding since this 'harsh but true' assessment from Chris Wilder.

https://www.football365.com/news/wilder-ruthless-in-assessment-of-hendersons-liverpool-howler

It certainly worked better than Solskjaer coming out after every De Gea howler and claiming that "he's still unquestionably the best goalkeeper in the world", newsflash Ole, he's not.

This summer was, in my opinion, the time to give Henderson a chance but our clueless recruitment team decided to go another route and make De Gea the highest paid player in the Premier league.
There is zero chance of any other club coming in for him now because nobody else would be stupid enough to pay those wages.
We're stuck with De Gea for 5-6 years now no matter how badly he plays.
It was a massive mistake in my opinion (I honestly hope I'm wrong by the way).
This is a joke. I think De Gea may well turn into our Sanchez II. It's a shame because he was a great servant and this contract renewal will potentially damage his legacy here.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
If our setup were still world-class like under Fergie there would be value for any player - even a keeper - to be a backup in the first team, just to be in the locker room, in training and with absolute top professionals. In that case, Henderson and De Gea could overlap for at least a season or two, because the younger keeper could develop aspects of his game despite not playing much.

But I have zero confidence that our setup today is particularly different from other clubs. So there's really no situation whereby his development would be better here, outside of starting.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Why is anyone turning this into a problem? Its a great situation for the club. If Henderson keeps progressing and becomes a player that we can't ignore any longer, then we have the option of selling a valuable and very well-paid goalkeeper and replacing him for free with the next England keeper. Alternatively we get a great price for a player that's never played a first team match for us.

passing-wind

Why is anyone turning this into a problem? Its a great situation for the club. If Henderson keeps progressing and becomes a player that we can't ignore any longer, then we have the option of selling a valuable and very well-paid goalkeeper and replacing him for free with the next England keeper. Alternatively we get a great price for a player that's never played a first team match for us.
We will not sell De Gea with Solskjaer as the manager. I like what LVG did when David was tossing around with committing his long term future here, he was benched until the situation was resolved. If Ole would have benched De Gea last season we potentially could have finished in the top four last season due to his mistakes which cost us points. It's these small indecisions that makes me uncomfortable with Ole and some of our youth players. You can throw Gomes into the exact same conversation with not omitting Pereria / Lingard despite their woeful form.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
We will not sell De Gea with Solskjaer as the manager. I like what LVG did when David was tossing around with committing his long term future here, he was benched until the situation was resolved. If Ole would have benched De Gea last season we potentially could have finished in the top four last season due to his mistakes which cost us points. It's these small indecisions that makes me uncomfortable with Ole and some of our youth players. You can throw Gomes into the exact same conversation with not omitting Pereria / Lingard despite their woeful form.
So you're saying that Ole has favourites who will play regardless of whether there is a better option? I can't agree with you there

DCP

Personally.... I would use this summer to cash in on DDG. I have a feeling that the PSG rumours aren’t about Henderson but about DDG. £60m and give Henderson the number 1 jersey.

I bloody love DDG but he’s a pretty liquid asset that could be realised in order to invest elsewhere.

romufc

Personally.... I would use this summer to cash in on DDG. I have a feeling that the PSG rumours aren’t about Henderson but about DDG. £60m and give Henderson the number 1 jersey.

I bloody love DDG but he’s a pretty liquid asset that could be realised in order to invest elsewhere.
I would agree with this. He has been a good servant to the club, if there was a time to sell, now would be it. we have a keeper knocking on the door for free.

RedCurry

I've only watched him in handful of games this season. Whenever I've watched him he's looked like a great shot stopper but not great at distribution or playing out from the back. Has that changed in recent times? If not, I just think this talk of him becoming our #1 a bit premature.

crossy1686

career ending
Sad for us but we will probably lose him because the timing just isn't right for him to take over from De Gea.

We can loan him out for another season but that does not solve the problem, only delays it.

We should however, insist on a buyback clause if we sell him.
If Henderson is good enough we'll have no issue jettisoning De Gea if needs be. I suspect he'll come and do a season as competition first though then De Gea will leave for Spain or France the following season.

crossy1686

career ending
I've only watched him in handful of games this season. Whenever I've watched him he's looked like a great shot stopper but not great at distribution or playing out from the back. Has that changed in recent times? If not, I just think this talk of him becoming our #1 a bit premature.
He's Englands best goalkeeper so he'll probably go to the Euro's as backup for Pickford, maybe even first choice, we'll see how good he is under pressure then.

Status
Not open for further replies.