Dean Henderson image 26

Dean Henderson England flag

2019-20 Performances

View full 2019-20 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varun

Staff
If Henderson is good enough we'll have no issue jettisoning De Gea if needs be. I suspect he'll come and do a season as competition first though then De Gea will leave for Spain or France the following season.
The problem will be getting a buyer at DDG's current wages. Very few clubs can afford it and bar PSG, no one needs a GK

RedDevil@84

I like what LVG did when David was tossing around with committing his long term future here, he was benched until the situation was resolved. If Ole would have benched De Gea last season we potentially could have finished in the top four last season due to his mistakes which cost us points
Completely different scenarios. LvG would never have benched DDG for poor form.

Bondi77

Personally.... I would use this summer to cash in on DDG. I have a feeling that the PSG rumours aren’t about Henderson but about DDG. £60m and give Henderson the number 1 jersey.

I bloody love DDG but he’s a pretty liquid asset that could be realised in order to invest elsewhere.
I would be very surprised if we got half that amount for big Dave but he will not go anywhere now because he is on an absolute fortune with us.

Ventura

"Cashing in" on DDG would be to let him go for free, that would free up massive funds in itself. And it could be an idea to explore for sure.

arthurka

The problem will be getting a buyer at DDG's current wages. Very few clubs can afford it and bar PSG, no one needs a GK
Juve need a keeper. Maybe they will try a package deal for Pogba and DDG? 150m paid in 8 payments over 10 year period or something like they did with Ronaldo..

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
I've only watched him in handful of games this season. Whenever I've watched him he's looked like a great shot stopper but not great at distribution or playing out from the back. Has that changed in recent times? If not, I just think this talk of him becoming our #1 a bit premature.
I remember his distribution being fine in the youth set up, I think Sheffield United just have him boot it upfield all the time.

reddevil80

if the rumours are true and PSG are in for him this summer, I hope we are looking at bringing him back from his loan spell and pushing for the no.1 spot. At the moment, my personal no.1 GK is Romero and I think Henderson would be better challenging him for the top spot and DdG should head to PSG instead.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I'd just bring him back and feck off DDG at this point.

People saying Hendo's distribution isn't perfect... have you been watching DDG's in recent seasons!?

I'd like to see Henderson as United's keeper next season.

Last edited:

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
if the rumours are true and PSG are in for him this summer, I hope we are looking at bringing him back from his loan spell and pushing for the no.1 spot. At the moment, my personal no.1 GK is Romero and I think Henderson would be better challenging him for the top spot and DdG should head to PSG instead.
Henderson won't go anywhere to 'push for the no.1 spot', including us, he will only go where he is likely to be first choice from the off. I get what you're saying about DdG though, we could bring Henderson back for free, sell DdG, and have that money to spend on another position.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
De Gea's just signed that massive deal with us last Summer didn't he. Can't see us selling him yet.

Think Henderson should have at least another year on loan.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
De Gea's just signed that massive deal with us last Summer didn't he. Can't see us selling him yet.

Think Henderson should have at least another year on loan.
Henderson's contract is until June 2022, so if we leave him for another season he would have only one year to wait out before becoming a free agent, when he would make a shedload.

This summer is the time to sort it, either cash in on him, or cash in on de Gea, one or the other, and have that money to spend.

izec

People saying Hendo's distribution isn't perfect... have you been DDG's in recent seasons!?

same here. He played better the last 2 seasons than De Gea. It was at Sheffield, but even if he needs some time to adapt (he didnt need it when he stepped up from league to league), we still have Romero to share some games if needed. Getting rid of De Gea for a fee and his high wages would come in nicely for the summer budget.

The issue is, not many will be interested in De Gea and i have no trust in the club to do the right thing. They will just keep delaying the decision until forced. We now have options, pick the best one instead of waiting until only one option is left and you have to take it.

Rhyme Animal

same here. He played better the last 2 seasons than De Gea. It was at Sheffield, but even if he needs some time to adapt (he didnt need it when he stepped up from league to league), we still have Romero to share some games if needed. Getting rid of De Gea for a fee and his high wages would come in nicely for the summer budget.

The issue is, not many will be interested in De Gea and i have no trust in the club to do the right thing. They will just keep delaying the decision until forced. We now have options, pick the best one instead of waiting until only one option is left and you have to take it.
Agree. Just let him go for free, he's ridiculously overpaid (common theme in Woodward's era), been underperforming for ages - just free his wages off and let him go.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Henderson's contract is until June 2022, so if we leave him for another season he would have only one year to wait out before becoming a free agent, when he would make a shedload.

This summer is the time to sort it, either cash in on him, or cash in on de Gea, one or the other, and have that money to spend.
Sign him to a new deal and then send him out on loan.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Feels kind if like a Courtois - Cech situation at Chelsea, but with De Gea recently signing the big deal (and not Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime removed from best keeper in the world). No idea what will happen tbh. We'd all want Henderson to become our long term keeper, but De Gea is still a top keeper, and a United legend. Do we move Henderson with a buy back clause? He said himself the dream is to be a United goalkeeper. Do we extend the loan? Another season or 2 of De Gea and then Henderson seems the most balanced for transitioning purposes, not sure if Henderson will wait around for that though.

SirAF

Ageist

People saying Hendo's distribution isn't perfect... have you been DDG's in recent seasons!?

Agreed.

Nickelodeon

Genuinely believe that people are massively underrating DDG here. Henderson has had an incredible season but England have yet to make him their No.1 over Pickford and here we are ready to dispose off our 5 time PL Goalkeeper of the Season on the back of one average season. DDG's peak is something that very few keepers would be able to achieve and Henderson has yet to consistently perform for a longer period in the league.

We should ideally look to either get big bucks for Henderson (40 million or so) or loan him out for another season (at a decent fee of course) and then decide after a year. No point in having both him and DDG at the club together.

Nickelodeon

I'm surprised that people on this forum seem to have an agenda against De Gea now. He has been an absolute legend for us and deserves more loyalty from us. Even in a relatively off season, he has still made some unbelievable saves (City in Carabao Cup first half would've been 5 or 6 without his performance, some incredible saves in the second leg as well).

For some reason, a poor squad is enough to justify Ole's performance but not DDG's clean sheet record. Henderson could turn out to be absolutely fantastic but he could also be another Ben Foster. Opinions about "fecking off" a club legend should be made keeping the potential outcome in mind.

Utdstar01

My first ideal would be to loan him for another year to Sheffield United to see how De Geas form goes next year. If not that then sell for big bucks with a buy back clause.

SmallCaine

Genuinely believe that people are massively underrating DDG here. Henderson has had an incredible season but England have yet to make him their No.1 over Pickford and here we are ready to dispose off our 5 time PL Goalkeeper of the Season on the back of one average season. DDG's peak is something that very few keepers would be able to achieve and Henderson has yet to consistently perform for a longer period in the league.

We should ideally look to either get big bucks for Henderson (40 million or so) or loan him out for another season (at a decent fee of course) and then decide after a year. No point in having both him and DDG at the club together.
I think you are the one massively overrating ddg, yes ddg's peak isn't something most can achieve and I doubt Henderson will ever be as good. But that version of ddg doesn't exist anymore, he was a goat shot stopper which covered most of his shortcomings but the current version is merely a very good shot stopper and inconsistent at that, which really exposes his shortcomings.

Ddg even at his best was never a commanding keeper who could lead the backline into being a cohesive unit. He was never really great in terms of passing. There's a reason Romero rarely has to make the sort of saves ddg routinely used to make.

Henderson is an improvement over ddg in those areas, he isn't as good a shot stopper and overall ddg is still the better keeper, but given he earns 350k, ddg should be one of the best in the world not merely good.i would rather have Henderson as the1st choice gk and use ddg's wages to get better players in other positions.

Smores

I'm surprised that people on this forum seem to have an agenda against De Gea now. He has been an absolute legend for us and deserves more loyalty from us. Even in a relatively off season, he has still made some unbelievable saves (City in Carabao Cup first half would've been 5 or 6 without his performance, some incredible saves in the second leg as well).

For some reason, a poor squad is enough to justify Ole's performance but not DDG's clean sheet record. Henderson could turn out to be absolutely fantastic but he could also be another Ben Foster. Opinions about "fecking off" a club legend should be made keeping the potential outcome in mind.
It's a bit mental considering how we've suffered previously with poor keepers. De Gea still has a lot of room for growth and I'm a big fan of older experienced keepers.

Given how much work we have to do to get the squad in a place where it can win titles we shouldn't be bringing forward an issue that doesn't exist yet.

Mark Pawelek

I think you are the one massively overrating ddg, yes ddg's peak isn't something most can achieve and I doubt Henderson will ever be as good. But that version of ddg doesn't exist anymore, he was a goat shot stopper which covered most of his shortcomings but the current version is merely a very good shot stopper and inconsistent at that, which really exposes his shortcomings.

Ddg even at his best was never a commanding keeper who could lead the backline into being a cohesive unit. He was never really great in terms of passing. There's a reason Romero rarely has to make the sort of saves ddg routinely used to make.

Henderson is an improvement over ddg in those areas, he isn't as good a shot stopper and overall ddg is still the better keeper, but given he earns 350k, ddg should be one of the best in the world not merely good.i would rather have Henderson as the1st choice gk and use ddg's wages to get better players in other positions.
Why do you say Henderson isn't a good shot stopper?

Made this yesterday. May as well re-use it.

Looks like Henderson is a good at that as De Gea (at stopping shots). Henderson's outstanding weakness is his distribution. But De Gea had less than 40% pass success in his Atletico days. So I think Henderson can improve there like David did.

Last edited:

Andersonson

Everybody should read this twice

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors

Ditto. De Gea is as likely to commit a complete howler as he is a world class match winning save these days. His distribution is mediocre and hes awful at coming off his line. For some reason though hes still viewed as as the best keeper in the world and we should just cash in on him

Based Adnan

Juve need a keeper. Maybe they will try a package deal for Pogba and DDG? 150m paid in 8 payments over 10 year period or something like they did with Ronaldo..
Why do Juve need a keeper? They only recently renewed Szczęsny's contract making him top 10 earners in the league

SmallCaine

Looks like Henderson is a good at that as De Gea (at stopping shots). Henderson's outstanding weakness is his distribution. But De Gea had less than 40% pass success in his Atletico days. So I think Henderson can improve there like David did.
Never said he isn't a good shot stopper, i said he isn't as good as ddg.

Rhyme Animal

I'm surprised that people on this forum seem to have an agenda against De Gea now.
Give over mate, it's an opinion, you can define it as an 'agenda' if you want but make sure you do the same with every other opinion you encounter and form in your own mind.

DDG doesn't ever command his box, his distribution is mediocre at best, same with coming off his line. Added to that, his shot stopping heroics have begun to dip and he's massively overpaid.

Letting him go and bringing in Henderson is what I think Utd should do, it's my opinion, and I'm fine for you to disagree with it, but give over with the daft 'agenda' stuff, no-one's interested and it makes you look like a muppet and undermines your actual point.

pascell

His contract is until 2022, plus an addition year. So even next summer after another loan, he'll have 2 years left on his deal. I'd loan him out for another year and let his value go up more, then either sell or bring him back and move DDG on.

Nickelodeon

Give over mate, it's an opinion, you can define it as an 'agenda' if you want but make sure you do the same with every other opinion you encounter and form in your own mind.

DDG doesn't ever command his box, his distribution is mediocre at best, same with coming off his line. Added to that, his shot stopping heroics have begun to dip and he's massively overpaid.

Letting him go and bringing in Henderson is what I think Utd should do, it's my opinion, and I'm fine for you to disagree with it, but give over with the daft 'agenda' stuff, no-one's interested and it makes you look like a muppet and undermines your actual point.
I’m fine with an opinion. What I’m not fine is DDG being told to “feck off” from the club. And given the relative lack of credibility established for Henderson currently, it seems churlish that majority of posters in this thread are calling for De Gea’s head which unfortunately does seem like an agenda.

It might not apply to you but reading the nature of the comments in the thread, with yours being the most aggressive, it does seem like the most plausible explanation. DDG is Spain’s No.1, 5 timr PL GK of the season and 4 time consecutive United Player of the season and is still relatively young for a GK. Establishing Henderson as an obvious upgrade seems unreasonable.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I’m fine with an opinion. What I’m not fine is DDG being told to “feck off” from the club. And given the relative lack of credibility established for Henderson currently, it seems churlish that majority of posters in this thread are calling for De Gea’s head which unfortunately does seem like an agenda.

It might not apply to you but reading the nature of the comments in the thread, with yours being the most aggressive, it does seem like the most plausible explanation. DDG is Spain’s No.1, 5 timr PL GK of the season and 4 time consecutive United Player of the season and is still relatively young for a GK. Establishing Henderson as an obvious upgrade seems unreasonable.
De Gea has been fairly poor for 18 months now (including an absolutely atrocious period at the end of last season which cost us a spot in the CL this season) with no real sign of getting back to where he was. Even the season before that he started a bit poorly by his standards, although thankfully he turned that around a couple of months into the season and was fantastic for the remainder.

There was always a worry he would decline early as his entire game is built around incredible reflexes and pure shot-stopping ability, which tends to be the first things to start declining as you age. It seems to have started a couple of seasons earlier than expected, but it was always likely that as he moved into his early 30's he wouldn't be able to maintain that level. And without that incredible shot-stopping ability, he's actually below average in most other aspects that you want in a goalkeeper.

There's still a chance he could get back to his best for a couple of seasons. Unfortunately it looks more likely that what we are seeing now is what we will mostly see going forward.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Completely different scenarios. LvG would never have benched DDG for poor form.
His form wasn't the best during that period hence he dropped him. Why would he drop an outstanding, best in the world keeper, just because he might not stay?

It was absolutely due to his form.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

7.1 long balls per game results in that passing stat.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic

No he isn't, and hasn't been for well over a year because the Spanish management team clearly have more of a clue about football than ours.

Nickelodeon

No he isn't, and hasn't been for well over a year because the Spanish management team clearly have more of a clue about football than ours.
He was dropped and he’s been reinstated. The player they tried to replace him with is currently being replaced by Willy Caballero. I’m not saying that De Gea has been perfect for us in the past year or so. But that doesn’t mean that any player with one good season under their belt automatically becomes a better option for us.

Anustart89

Considering that Alisson went for £60-70m (disregarding Kepa because of Bilbao and release clauses) we'd probably be within our rights to look for something similar for Henderson if selling to another team in the league. If English tax applies to us, then it should apply to other teams. Henderson is also younger than Alisson so English tax + younger + selling to rival means we could make a case for demanding £60m for Henderson even if he's currently obviously a worse keeper, albeit one with a lot of potential.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not sure he’s better than De Gea yet. In fact, I’m quite sure he’s not, but he certainly looks to have a long term future here. His own shortcomings are of course overlooked being Sheffield’s keeper, and I’ve seen a couple of howlers from him too, notably against Liverpool of course.

He also doesn’t half love to parry the ball back in play:

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He always reminded me of Peter Schmeichel. I agree he has a long way to go still but his talent is huge, imo. Not far behind DDG in his younger days right now. Would be a bit of a gamble to have him competing with DDG next season but I hope we just don't sell him. In a year or two he'll be ready.

reddevil80

People saying Hendo's distribution isn't perfect... have you been watching DDG's in recent seasons!?

my bad, no reply here.

Status
Not open for further replies.