Dean Henderson image 26

Dean Henderson England flag

2019-20 Performances

View full 2019-20 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddevil80

Just wondering how people can say Henderson is not better than DdG?

Look at the prem table, it doesn't lie.

We have let in 5 more and in one game less than Sheffield Utd.

He has to be given the chance to come back to OT and step up to the plate for next season.

Red00012

He has to be given the chance to come back to OT and step up to the plate for next season.
I didn't realise the PL table position lies solely at the GK's feet

TheReligion

Abusive
Offering a deal like that to him would be the worst thing United could do, there's no chance he would sign for that, he would just run down his contract. Players have minds of their own, and agents wanting transfers.
He's not long ago signed a new contract and said how much he loves United and wants to be number one here. That's after being on loan once and knowing he was going again.

Really don't get the panic over Henderson. It's quite clear he's happy waiting it out until DDG finishes with us. It's just a question of when we decide to make that happen.

reddevil80

I didn't realise the PL table position lies solely at the GK's feet
not solely but considering the amount of shots faced to goals against, Henderson is showing as a more productive GK than DdG.

Plus, I'm sure Henderson has more PL clean sheets this term too so he would be an upgrade on DdG, on current form.

Mark Pawelek

Never said he isn't a good shot stopper, i said he isn't as good as ddg.
The only evidence you have that DDG is a better shot stopper is his work from a few years back. On present form he's not better.

Henderson also has better command of his area than DDG, and is better at collecting crosses.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
He's not long ago signed a new contract and said how much he loves United and wants to be number one here. That's after being on loan once and knowing he was going again.

Really don't get the panic over Henderson. It's quite clear he's happy waiting it out until DDG finishes with us. It's just a question of when we decide to make that happen.
A short contract. Given the obvious talent for his age was the contract short because United wanted it short or because he did?

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
34% pass completion rate. Disgraceful. If the long balls don't connect, he should start passing short.
Is Henderson capable of playing short under pressure? Never seen him play. How good is he with his feet because that's a style we're implementing. Passing from the back regardless of pressure

reddevil80

I think the " panic " is the fact that he is a talented young GK, the future England no.1 (imo) and there are rumours the likes of PSG are circling, waiting to pounce. As he only has signed a relatively short term contract, the chance of playing in the CL and in the 1st team regularly for one of the most high profile teams of the moment will be very attractive to him and we could very easily lose him. He may well love United but if he's got to sit and wait for Ole to give him the nod over De Gea, whilst he is outperforming him, then Paris will seem extremely inviting.

Reactions: 711

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur

How does goals conceded rely completely on a goal keeper? It's a daft concept to look at goals conceded and tie it specifically to the keeper.

It's not been DDG best season granted, and I do like Henderson.

It's a huge risk to say he should be our number 1 and let De Gea leave. Ben Foster was similarly thought of and struggled at a bigger club under greater scrutiny.

ROFLUTION

I think the " panic " is the fact that he is a talented young GK, the future England no.1 (imo) and there are rumours the likes of PSG are circling, waiting to pounce. As he only has signed a relatively short term contract, the chance of playing in the CL and in the 1st team regularly for one of the most high profile teams of the moment will be very attractive to him and we could very easily lose him. He may well love United but if he's got to sit and wait for Ole to give him the nod over De Gea, whilst he is outperforming him, then Paris will seem extremely inviting.
Well there's still some way to actually outperform him still. While we can all use stats to say he's got more clean sheets and possibly saves (in a very defensive team), there's still some way to reach the peak saves from De Gea, and to handle the pressure at Man Utd. Just this summer, when Henderson claimed he was ready to be #1 choice at United, he dropped bad for England u21s. A season more on loan will probably make him a serious contender and more mature imo. Dave also needs serious competition to stop some of the miserable drops of this season.

A loan more, and a healthy competition the season after at United would be nice for all parts. Everyone would probably reach their desired level, be it at United or at another club. Dont think he'd reach that level as backup at PSG

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
I like Henderson but he's made quite a few big mistakes this season, we just dont see or hear about them because of where he's playing. He was also awful last Summer for England U21s.

We should tie him down to a long term contract and let him go out on loan again next season. It's clearly doing wonders for him, and having the opportunity to develop out of the intense spotlight is a good thing too.

That being said, if big money was to come in again for DDG then I'd take it and happily go into next season with Henderson and Romero as our keepers.

reddevil80

How does goals conceded rely completely on a goal keeper? It's a daft concept to look at goals conceded and tie it specifically to the keeper.

It's not been DDG best season granted, and I do like Henderson.

It's a huge risk to say he should be our number 1 and let De Gea leave. Ben Foster was similarly thought of and struggled at a bigger club under greater scrutiny.
As stated in my reply to an earlier similar comment, I am actually emphasising the point that he has faced more shots than DdG, yet, has more clean sheets.

Not tying goals conceded just at the Goalies feet, that is daft, you're right.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
34% pass completion rate. Disgraceful. If the long balls don't connect, he should start passing short.
Don’t be ridiculous. His manager tells him to play long as he’s happy to concede possession high up the field. Apply some common sense.

Mark Pawelek

Don’t be ridiculous. His manager tells him to play long as he’s happy to concede possession high up the field. Apply some common sense.
Yes of course I know that. Conceding possession high up is senseless. Sack the manager.

More seriously. Lets allow for all his long balls conceding possession. He's averaging 26 passes per game at 34% pass success. He's only making 9 successful passes out of 26! 17 passes out of 26 go astray. Let's assume 7 are long balls. That means at least 10 mid/short range passes out of 19 go astray. Not good enough. Coaches will need to work on ball retention if he moves to number 1 here.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Yes of course I know that. Conceding possession high up is senseless. Sack the manager.

More seriously. Lets allow for all his long balls conceding possession. He's averaging 26 passes per game at 34% pass success. He's only making 9 successful passes out of 26! 17 passes out of 26 go astray. Let's assume 7 are long balls. That means at least 10 mid/short range passes out of 19 go astray. Not good enough. Coaches will need to work on ball retention if he moves to number 1 here.
I don’t think you’ve put your best foot forward there. That Math is incorrect across the board.

If you take 100% of his long balls as being those that concede possession, he has among the best short passing from any goalkeeper in football.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
As stated in my reply to an earlier similar comment, I am actually emphasising the point that he has faced more shots than DdG, yet, has more clean sheets.

Not tying goals conceded just at the Goalies feet, that is daft, you're right.
I know Sheffield United are currently higher in the league but teams will still generally set up differently to play vs Man Utd than vs Sheffield United. The responsibilities of a keeper at a team like Man Utd or Chelsea or Spurs, certainly long term, will be different than at Sheffield United, as impressive as they've been this season. SO I don't think you can make that direct comparison.

Having said that, he's been very impressive this season. I feel like it is quite rare to get a very good goalkeeper coming straight out of a top club's academy.

Seems like you'll have a bit of a fight to keep him if he doesn't see a path back in with DDG. He's already proving that he can cut it very well at this level.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
He was dropped and he’s been reinstated. The player they tried to replace him with is currently being replaced by Willy Caballero. I’m not saying that De Gea has been perfect for us in the past year or so. But that doesn’t mean that any player with one good season under their belt automatically becomes a better option for us.
Wouldn't exactly say he's been reinstated as their number one because he played in their last match, it was a meaningless game as they had already qualified for the Euros.

To be clear, I'm not a big fan of Kepa either, I'm just making the point that he's a long way of being Spain undisputed no. 1 again.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
Not sure he’s better than De Gea yet. In fact, I’m quite sure he’s not, but he certainly looks to have a long term future here. His own shortcomings are of course overlooked being Sheffield’s keeper, and I’ve seen a couple of howlers from him too, notably against Liverpool of course.

He also doesn’t half love to parry the ball back in play:

Well De Gea saves with his feet all of the time (often resulting in goals anyway from rebounds) and that makes him worthy of the 'best keeper in the world' title to our fans, so I'm sure Hendo will fit right in if this is the case.

Dante

Average bang
His passing stats are:

26.2 passes per 90 minutes
24.3 long passes per 90 minutes (at 29% success rate)
1.9 short passes per 90 minutes (at 100% success rate)

Of the 48 short passes he's attempted, only 1 has been unsuccessful.

SmallCaine

The only evidence you have that DDG is a better shot stopper is his work from a few years back. On present form he's not better.

Henderson also has better command of his area than DDG, and is better at collecting crosses.
Ddg is the better shotstopper and it isn't even upto a debate, he's made a few mistakes but then so has henderson.

Nickelodeon

Well De Gea saves with his feet all of the time (often resulting in goals anyway from rebounds) and that makes him worthy of the 'best keeper in the world' title to our fans, so I'm sure Hendo will fit right in if this is the case.
This is revisionism of the highest order. Is there any evidence of this?

Without deepdiving into a research mode, I can recall multiple saves he's made with his feet which were effective than a conventional save (Arsenal away save first save from Lacazette and a follow up from Sanchez which he saved with his foot from 2 yards out, Tottenham away last Jan where he made 11 saves in the second half alone).

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I've been fairly critical of De Gea over the last 18 months, but that's just ridiculous and false. It's always been noticeable that not only does he save with his feet more than just about anyone else out there, but he does it in a way that pretty much always goes somewhere that's not dangerous and he's then able to get back up and in position faster than if he'd made a 'normal' diving save.

Mark Pawelek

I don’t think you’ve put your best foot forward there. That Math is incorrect across the board.

If you take 100% of his long balls as being those that concede possession, he has among the best short passing from any goalkeeper in football.
Take it up with Opta. They supply the stats for WhoScored.

Lynty

Was speaking with some oppo fans last night. They reckon Henderson for England #1 come the summer.

If so, he's surely gone.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm still waiting for us to replace Edwin Van der Sar. Someone who is good with his feet, commands his area and is also a good shot stopper. Van der Sar was a dominant keeper and IMO we've really missed him, especially our CBs.

Sheffield United fans are waxing lyrical about Henderson and some of the saves he's made are unreal and are easily comparable to De Gea's best IMO. I can't say for sure if he's gonna be the one long-term #1 but he has put himself into the frame by being among the very best keepers in the EPL and deserves a chance. We're in a superb position to move De Gea on and move forward as a club. An opportunity that doesn't present itself very often. De Gea will be hard to shift though with his wages, and I personally wouldn't want to sign such a limited keeper if i was at PSG, Barca, Juve etc.

And if it turns out Henderson isn't the long-term solution, then I believe the club should adopt a strategy whereby we should target a goalkeeper with a similar profile to the Great Dane/Super Dutchman. Adopting such a strategy would enable us to to filter out the mistakes of the past like Barthez, Bosnich, Carroll, Howard, Foster etc. How the club thought the much smaller Barthez would replace the much taller Schmeichel in English football is still a mystery to me. A concerted effort should've been made for Edwin or Francesco Toldo at the time IMO who fit the profile of goalkeeper to replace Schmeichel.

Last edited:

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
I'm still waiting for us to replace Edwin Van der Sar. Someone who is good with his feet, commands his area and is also a good shot stopper. Van der Sar was a dominant keeper and IMO we've really missed him, especially our CBs.

Sheffield United fans are waxing lyrical about Henderson and some of the saves he's made are unreal and are easily comparable to De Gea's best IMO. I can't say for sure if he's gonna be the one long-term #1 but he has put himself into the frame by being among the very best keepers in the EPL and deserves a chance. We're in a superb position to move De Gea on and move forward as a club. An opportunity that doesn't present itself very often. De Gea will be hard to shift though with his wages, and I personally wouldn't want to sign such a limited keeper if i was at PSG, Barca, Juve etc.

And if it turns out Henderson isn't the long-term solution, then I believe the club should adopt a strategy whereby we should target a goalkeeper with a similar profile to the Great Dane/Super Dutchman. Adopting such a strategy would enable us to to filter out the mistakes of the past like Barthez, Bosnich, Carroll, Howard, Foster etc. How the club thought the much smaller Barthez would replace the much taller Schmeichel in English football is still a mystery to me. A concerted effort should've been made for Edwin or Francesco Toldo at the time IMO who fit the profile of goalkeeper to replace Schmeichel.
Excellent post, well said.

UpWithRivers

Is Henderson better than De Gea right now? Not a chance. Would it be a risk to replace De Gea with Henderson. Absolutely. However would we be a better team if we sold De Gea and bought a CB or DM with the money? For example - is Koulibaly or Partey + Henderson better than De Gea and our current DM and Defence. I would say yes.
Lots of ifs and buts. And yes ut would take more cash to get Koulibaly but Im just talking round about hypothetical fees.
Also weigh in the risk of loosing Henderson and the possibility that De Gea keeps declining.
Thats one of the hardest parts —when to sell. And historicaly we have been sht at this. Keeping players for too long, carrying them for years, then selling for next to nothing. We need to make the right decision.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
So how good is Henderson on the ball? De Gea is one of the best keepers I've ever seen but he's definitely been on the wane the last 18 months. And if Henderson is genuinely a potentially top class keeper it's well worth considering bringing him back and selling DDG given the wages. But of course it's not an easy decision given the heights DDG has reached for us

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'd like to see Henderson get 1 more year at Sheffield especially if they reach Europe.

DDG has 1 more year, then let them fight it out.

SAFMUTD

I would leave Henderson on loan on another premier league team, let him gain consistency meanwhile we keep De Gea and start looking for potential buyers, for season 2021-2022 we’ll know if Henderson is truly ready and then we can bring him as first choice.

big_jeffstar

i did some work for Sheffield United last year, and the players were signing stuff for fans etc, i'd say he's probably their most popular player aside from Billy Sharp, there were loads of people queuing up for a photo with him, when it had quietened down I managed to ask him briefly about coming back to united to "save us" (De Gea was playing terribly at the time) and he just said "yeah hopefully one day" and smiled.. take it as you will... i think it's a strange situation in that he'd probably sign permanently with Sheff United if he had the choice, but they just couldn't afford what he'd cost, he's probably Englands future number one, and that won't come cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.