6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree but there will be pages and pages about DDG if he did what Henderson did tonight . And no one is replying like he did if DDG was in goals
there have been some pretty ugly comments. It’s probably tempered somewhat because we won. If we had lost, I imagine this thread would have been very active.

Icemav

I agree but there will be pages and pages about DDG if he did what Henderson did tonight . And no one is replying like he did if DDG was in goals
There are pages and pages criticizing DDG for about three seasons now because of the many crazy errors he has made. This is not the same type. Henderson was trying to play out from the back and got put under a lot of pressure. It happens. Quite different to fumbling a routine save into the back of the net.

Red00012

There are pages and pages criticizing DDG for about three seasons now because of the many crazy errors he has made. This is not the same type. Henderson was trying to play out from the back and got put under a lot of pressure. It happens. Quite different to fumbling a routine save into the back of the net.
At fault for 2nd goal as well

markhughes

It wasn’t great from him tonight and historically he has always had a few bad blunders in him but he is still young and will likely improve with time and experience.

Sheffield Utd were clearly targeting him on corners and obviously they know his game very well, to me he doesn’t look very commanding aerially (same for Dave to be fair).

Wouldn’t it be nice to have a commanding goalkeeper between the sticks? I don’t mind if they make the occasional mistake coming for the ball but I want my keeper to always be positive and as dominant as possible.

Oranges038

Doubt you’d give DDG as much leeway as you did to Henderson there
What are your views on the goals other than it was Henderson's fault?

I'll criticise either when I think it's justified. As someone who's played in goal for about 20 years I know how those situations can happen.

The first one, the last thing you want is that ball coming back from your centre half. Maguire should be on the half turn not facing straight on and giving it right back.

The second one, it's 50/50, he stays on his line he probably makes it across. As it was he made a move out, is moving back, is on his heels, he cant react properly because of that and the unlucky bounce of McGoldrick takes it in. Personally I'd criticise the defensive setup from corners more than the keeper there.

Jackal

He had more than 2 seconds to boot the ball into space or pass it to the right where Lindelof was. That he even got caught on the ball at all is a disgrace.....besides this, it was thr wrong pass to make. Lindelof was free and Henderson still chose to pass it vertically to Pogba that was being marked by McGoldrick.

The 2nd goal was his fault too, he should be coming off his line to grab the ball. If this was De Gea, there would be a massive overreaction for the mistakes. At least, De Gea has some credits in the bank for his errors, he was our best player for several seasons. What credits has Henderson got to be making this kind of errors?

Henderson isn't ready.

Icemav

He had more than 2 seconds to boot the ball into space or pass it to the right where Lindelof was. That he even got caught on the ball at all is a disgrace.....besides this, it was thr wrong pass to make. Lindelof was free and Henderson still chose to pass it vertically to Pogba that was being marked by McGoldrick.

The 2nd goal was his fault too, he should be coming off his line to grab the ball. If this was De Gea, there would be a massive overreaction for the mistakes. At least, De Gea has some credits in the bank for his errors, he was our best player for several seasons. What credits has Henderson got to be making this kind of errors?

Henderson isn't ready.
A disgrace?! I suggest a nice cup of herbal tea for you.

Mistakes happen.

Whether he should have come for the cross is debatable. What isnt debatable is that the rebounded headed was unlikely to be saved by anyone.

DDG has not been criticised for being risky with his build up play, nor substantially for being weak in the air which he is.... its the howlers. Muffing extremely basic saves.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Mistake for the first one. It happens. Especially to young goalkeepers and especially if you want your goalkeeper playing out from the back.

Also agree that DDG would have been criticised if he had let in the second goal but that's mostly because of the new caf obsession with goalkeepers coming off their line, even in situations where staying on the line is actually a perfectly fine choice, or where defenders and/or the way the defence is set up is as much or more to blame for the goal being conceded. De Gea has been unfairly criticised in that regard (most recently in the Southampton game) and I'm sure Henderson will be too. Basically any time we concede a goal from a set piece where the goalkeeper has stayed on his line someone will blame him for the goal being conceded, regardless of who the GK is, because in their mind staying on your line is A Bad Thing.

Eternitiy

Henderson isn't ready.
De Gea has been making routine errors for the past 2 years, costing us plenty of crucial games. He was brilliant for us in the past as you've said, but only present form should dictate if he should play. Players should be selected on merit, not reputation.

You say de Gea has credit, but I think it's the opposite. Henderson is young and inexperienced. Mistakes like this one can be forgiven, and we should expect them to be ironed out with time and experience. He needs to be given a chance. De Gea has had more than enough chances and any rational observer should come to the conclusion that he's in decline.

Reactions: Sultan

Jackal

A disgrace?! I suggest a nice cup of herbal tea for you.

Mistakes happen.

Whether he should have come for the cross is debatable. What isnt debatable is that the rebounded headed was unlikely to be saved by anyone.

DDG has not been criticised for being risky with his build up play, nor substantially for being weak in the air which he is.... its the howlers. Muffing extremely basic saves.
Such mistakes shouldn't be happening....

You can excuse it away all you want but it still doesn't explain why this has been happening in every away game.

The forwards can't be relied upon to bail us out each time there's a brainfart at the back. This was what cost United the knock out stage in the Champions League. I wonder what Ole and his crew does in training. Ole's freak obsession with building from the back is also awkward. Shouldn't he know by now none of the defenders are comfortable in possession when pressed?

shahzy

Agree with this. Pretty sure I've read pep rather his goal keeper conceed a few goals like this every season as long as they play out from the back because that will yield them more goals over the course of a season. Atleast that's his view of it

Icemav

Such mistakes shouldn't be happening....

You can excuse it away all you want but it still doesn't explain why this has been happening in every away game.

The forwards can't be relied upon to bail us out each time there's a brainfart at the back. This was what cost United the knock out stage in the Champions League. I wonder what Ole and his crew does in training. Ole's freak obsession with building from the back is also awkward. Shouldn't he know by now none of the defenders are comfortable in possession when pressed?
Its an individual error and it happens occasionally from teams who obsess with passing it out from the back. Goalies tend to get it out of their system. Though I agree our general possession and build up play is very inconsistent and oftentimes feels very risky and ad hoc. Appears to be a lack of structure, but they do say practice makes perfect and there is some individual confidence building. Same thing can be said about some of our general defending, very very dumb at times. I dont doubt we have a game where the black holes align and we get a good thumping because of it.

Icemav

Agree with this. Pretty sure I've read pep rather his goal keeper conceed a few goals like this every season as long as they play out from the back because that will yield them more goals over the course of a season. Atleast that's his view of it
Thats kind of the point I think. Even after the error Henderson kept the ball on ground and split their press with some very brave passes. Of course if he botches it like he did twice a month then its not possible to keep playing him.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
That was of course a stupid mistake (The pass from Maguire to him was stupid too) but he played well for the rest of the match.......he should definitely play against Everton in the League Cup on Wednesday.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Only seen the highlights, but from them he didn't look great at all. Obviously at fault for the first goal, and for the second, if he was DDG half the forum would be on his back saying he should have commanded his box better and punched that.

Big learning moment for him, and it will really show if he is mentally capable of being our possible number 1, and the greater scrutiny that comes with it.

Web of Bissaka

No players defending the two posts are not a thing anymore?
Even Spurs concede one late minute vs Pool because of it.

That said, two poor costly goalkeeping leading to their two goals. Otherwise, it's a good solid game from him. But of course we will remember only that two errors and forget his other good contributions. Criticisms about that and his obvious weaknesses are fair, but ignoring his other contributions are not.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Mistakes happen, and he'll learn from the experience.

More to the point, this obsession with playing out from the back, particularly in and around the penalty area should stop until the club has players who can confidently play from the back. Defenders should spread the field and move forward 10/15 yards too receive the ball.

Viral United

He need to command his area, the second goal could easily avoided if he done that.
Over all good in game and good to see keeper coming out of line and punch the ball.
But he need to do better in next game, these mistakes shouldn't happening again.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Shocking for the first goal and for the second arguably could have come off his line to claim the ball. He hesitates instead leaving it to his CBs.

Very frustrating that people leap to the defence of Henderson yet those same people would be slaughtering De Gea for both goals.

Henderson played poorly he didn’t do anything better than De Gea last night and you can put that down to inexperience, nerves or whatever but the fact is if we want to be winning titles we can’t wait around for our GK to be ready.

De Gea is 100% the best GK we have right now and I really hope one day Henderson is better too but right now he’s not ready.

meamth

Based on what I've seen, he has worse technical ability than De Gea.

Which means, he will have trouble playing out from the back.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Because as much as I love Dave, we've seen the same mistakes over and over again for several seasons.

Its Henderson's first mistake, of course he's getting leeway.

Son

De Gea has been making routine errors for the past 2 years, costing us plenty of crucial games. He was brilliant for us in the past as you've said, but only present form should dictate if he should play. Players should be selected on merit, not reputation.

You say de Gea has credit, but I think it's the opposite. Henderson is young and inexperienced. Mistakes like this one can be forgiven, and we should expect them to be ironed out with time and experience. He needs to be given a chance. De Gea has had more than enough chances and any rational observer should come to the conclusion that he's in decline.
He’s also been making great saves too which often go unnoticed by most of our fans and saving our skin from time to time.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
I'm not going to analyze who was at fault for the goals, but that is not an ideal performance or result. This couldn't have been good for his confidence.

That said, Henderson is just getting into the team, and we play very differently to how he played and impressed lay year at Sheffield. A mistake here or there is to be expected. I would rather he did well this game and messed up later, but at least we won, he can put this behind and show if he has the mental resilience to not let this affect him.

De Gea has been phenomenal for us if we ignore the last couple of seasons, but the truth is he's cost us during the last two. Henderson should get the chance to prove himself.

It's not a question of Henderson versus De Gea, the question is if Henderson is good enough, because if not we need a new keeper.

arthurka

'
:lol:

Christ

No.

And it's more than just a step forward, just watch the replay for christ sake.

This isn't all that difficult. If you leave the line like that it's because you're collecting the ball. When you don't and you suddenly have to get back to the line while you're trying to pay attention to where the ball is going, well, saving anything that goes towards goal suddenly becomes much more difficult. Out of position, struggles to get back in time and it's 3-2.

The second goal is a mistake, shit happens, fortunately it didn't cost us any points but unfortunately for Henderson he made two feckups where both resulted in goals.
I don´t agree with you there, but then again we seem to riddled with problems defensively and communication errors. It seems like we could have Neuer in goal and would still concede these goals.
Hope we give the guy couple of games to settle but I agree with you on the part he didn´t cover himself with glory yesterday.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
He's got a lot to prove but players need better awareness. We've made a lot of mistakes in the final third from our own making. Both goals are typical of us. The second was bit unlucky but maybe he could have reacted a bit stronger. The first was a joke. If he becomes like a pomp De Gea then we'll do well but I'm not seeing the aggression or yelling at his defenders. He actually makes me appriciate how good Van Der Saar was for us.

norm87cro

All in all not convincing aldo I'm pleased he made a save for a potential 3 3. Playing from the back without a holding DM/CM invites pressure on our shaky back 4 so mistakes are bonund to happen. Not an excuse offcourse. When in doubt smash it way away from your goal. It's not your job to play Iniesta

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Feel like Maguire put him under pressure for no reason really, we should have just cleared our lines but instead he played a sideways pass into Henderson with Burke very close.

We seem to have a habit of passing to a team mate 5 yards away and not taking any responsibility. He obviously should have sorted his feet quicker and perhaps just punted it out for a throw in - but that's the downside to playing out from the back, these errors happen.

Glad to see it didn't effect him for the rest of the match though, he was pretty solid after that.

Nickelodeon

Not a good game for him. But what is our exact plan to play out? There are some risky short passes between the CBs and FBs which invite pressure and then we launch it forward. If that has to be done, then why not do it from the off and put pressure on the second ball?

renandstimpyfan83

Supports
Real Oviedo/England
Bad day at the office but hopefully he'll get stronger from it like De Gea did after his poor start as a United player.
He’s looking more like Ben Foster Mk. 2 at the moment. Great at smaller clubs and looked like a potential successor to a legend and likely England #1 but then gets into the United team and looks totally out of his depth.

De Gea was only 20 when United signed him. He was arguably the best keeper in the league by the time he was Henderson’s age.

Remember the geese

Shocking for the first goal and for the second arguably could have come off his line to claim the ball. He hesitates instead leaving it to his CBs.

Very frustrating that people leap to the defence of Henderson yet those same people would be slaughtering De Gea for both goals.

Henderson played poorly he didn’t do anything better than De Gea last night and you can put that down to inexperience, nerves or whatever but the fact is if we want to be winning titles we can’t wait around for our GK to be ready.

De Gea is 100% the best GK we have right now and I really hope one day Henderson is better too but right now he’s not ready.
De Gea isn't good enough though, so isn't it worth finding out if Henderson is? If not, then at least we know that it's a position we'll need to prioritise in the Summer.

Dan_F

It should also be worth noting that Henderson came out and punched a few crosses that DDG would have been planted on his line for.

I don’t get the value in messing around with the ball at goal kicks that early in the game. We were clearly struggling in the first few minutes to control things, so I don’t think asking the centre backs to play out against what would have been a pumped up opponent is ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.