Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cro

That save was class and is really encouraging in my eyes. People tend to underestimate these kind of games for a keeper. At times it's easier to face more shots on goal rather than having to make one important save over the course of 90 minutes, especially at that age.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
A very solid start. Pulled a great save out of the bag when needed, covered in behind the defence when it was required. Pleased for him.

Toad

Indeed. Especially as DDG had a good game (despite the scoreline) against Palace.

Very pleased he did well on his debut. It’s good to have two keepers playing well. Hopefully the competition spurs on DDG. He’s in possession of the jersey.
Still not convinced it’s an ideal scenario to have two goalkeepers fighting for that spot but hopefully it plays out well.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
You will have seen more of him than us. Do you reckon he's currently better than De Gee?
You will have seen more of De Gea than me though ;) I’d say he is purely because De Gea has seemingly lost his confidence but not much between the two from my perspective

kundalini

One good save, otherwise Luton's attempts seemed to be either blocked or off-target.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
I don't know why, when I look at him I'm expecting to see Sam Johnstone. He's got a clean fade.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
One good save, otherwise Luton's attempts seemed to be either blocked or off-target.
Except the one that went past him after he made a save. Poor marking from us to concede two chances like that in succession.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Top notch save. Am I going mad or was it definitely a foul on Matic for the header?

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Still not convinced it’s an ideal scenario to have two goalkeepers fighting for that spot but hopefully it plays out well.
I think it's working out better for everyone concerned. De Gea had no pressure on his place last season as Romero wasn't going to take the number one spot, now we have a hungry young keeper who wants to take the gloves from DDG.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
Should have pushed that out of play, not right back to the attackers feet. Luck for him players covered him on the line while he's flapping about on the floor.
It is a tendency he has, but with the pace on the ball I don't have too many issues with how he kept it out.

The Irish Connection

I’d put him in. He looks way more solid and commanding than de Gea, and to be honest he played a massive part in the win because that was a crucial save.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Class save from Deano at a really vital time too.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I’d keep Dave as number 1 for now but integrate Henderson in slowly. Cup keeper for now, maybe more depending on De Gea’s form.

Jezpeza

Hes got no problems IMO. United academy through to first team via a loan or two. What its all about. Can step into the first team at any time.

No Romero on the bench as well i noted, Grant was there. His departure seems imminent

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I wouldn’t be doing anything based on a game against Luton town. Deano was really good tonight though. He was aggressive and commanding. He’s got developing leadership qualities. He’s not short on self belief. I hope he can keep it up and save us yet another headache in the market.

Devil may care

Had nothing to do all game then showed the concentration levels required by pulling off a top drawer save.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Didn’t really learn to much about him as Luton were generally impotent so he was never under any pressure nor had to organise his defence.

his one save was high quality though and a clean sheet on debut can’t be bad.

need to see him play against one of the big teams to get an indication on what level he is right nowZ

RonaldoVII

Really encouraging how well he played. Have to wonder how many games he's going to get this season though. Surely he needs to play more than just League/FA Cup? Rotating goalkeepers in the league isn't smart. Wonder if he'll play CL group games to gain experience.

Dve

I can see him taking de Gea´s spot at some point this season, but making the change now would be bad man management by Ole, and I´m sure he won´t. Henderson will accept still to be on the bench, while it would be challenging to explain to de Gea why he should be dropped after playing well against CP, and in the international matches for Spain as well.

keithsingleton

Difficult to judge his first start for United based on who we played and how little he was involved. However, one question was asked and he produced a very good safe which will do his confidence a world of good.

What I did notice was that he never came off his line much but still surveying that. Early days but certainly not a bad start for the lad.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I can see him taking de Gea´s spot at some point this season, but making the change now would be bad man management by Ole, and I´m sure he won´t. Henderson will accept still to be on the bench, while it would be challenging to explain to de Gea why he should be dropped after playing well against CP, and in the international matches for Spain as well.
He won't drop de Gea yet, he will have to make a mistake first. Once he does though he will put Henderson in and force him to wait until Henderson messes up.

De Gea looked good though against Palace so hopefully the first proper competition he's had for ages will get his old form back.

I think right now Henderson will be happy being a cup keeper this year.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
There is another cup game next week so he will return for that. No need to rush dropping de Gea, we know Henderson will succeed him at some stage.

izec

If De Gea plays like last season, Henderson will take over at some point this season. Ole didn't trust Romero, now it is different with Dean capable of taking over. The pressure will be so high on Ole that he will have to bench De Gea. It is De Gea's to lose and if he doesn't get back to decent form, he will lose his place if Henderson outperforms him

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Should have pushed that out of play, not right back to the attackers feet. Luck for him players covered him on the line while he's flapping about on the floor.
Didn’t notice that on first viewing but you are right. Keeping it in play meant our defence had to do their job so you are right he could have done better with the shot stopping direction.

It’s the kind of thing Luton don’t punish you for but a top PL club would. Thing is he’s still learning and the fact he made the save is great he can build off what was a solid performance next time hopefully he turns it into a world class save by planning the direction of the rebound better.

But honestly if that’s the level of detail we are criticising him for (and rightly so) then I’m very happy with his performance.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Really happy the lad has stayed this season. He will be our cup keeper and I think he'll probably take over fully next season. I just hope De Gea performs well enough this season that there will be suitors for him in the summer.

Backrow Singer

I’m a little bit surprised that he didn’t want another loan this season. He seems to be in a situation where he’s far too good to be a second choice goalkeeper but I still think he’s going to need some luck to get in ahead of De Gea. He’s going to need De Gea to make a lot of mistakes in a short space of time IMO and even if he did get a chance, he’ll have to play brilliantly himself. Whether or not he’ll have played enough quality fixtures to be in a position to perform to that standard is another question.

I thought he did really well yesterday, he organised the team well, he used the ball well and he made an excellent save when we needed him to.

Alemar

If De Gea plays like last season, Henderson will take over at some point this season. Ole didn't trust Romero, now it is different with Dean capable of taking over. The pressure will be so high on Ole that he will have to bench De Gea. It is De Gea's to lose and if he doesn't get back to decent form, he will lose his place if Henderson outperforms him
If de Gea returns to his absolute peak, on the other hand, Dean won’t have many chances. But it would also be excellent for us as peak de Gea is a world class player

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
His distribution looked nice the few times he did get to make decision on the ball but Luton hardly pressed. If he can pass better than de Gea, the switch becomes a no-brainer.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That’s incredibly harsh. The ball was almost past him by the time he got to it. At that point he was just desperately clawing it backwards, to stop it going over the line. Getting it out of play wasn’t really an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.