Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

spiriticon

You missed the point. The players you mentioned have had excellent performances over the course of > 6 months for United and Henderson hasnt (yet). Its not a good comparison you are making.
He can't possibly have 6 months of good performances because we don't allow it.

People want him turfed out after 3 weeks, how is he going to reach 6 months?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He can't possibly have 6 months of good performances because we don't allow it.

People want him turfed out after 3 weeks, how is he going to reach 6 months?
Exactly my point, hence your comparison with Martial, Rashford etc is nonsensical

Litch

.....the world of a goalkeeper, you are only as good as your last save.

spiriticon

Exactly my point, hence your comparison with Martial, Rashford etc is nonsensical
It's not about the performances, it's the way the number of opportunities the players are given before they are turfed out by the fans. Why the difference? Is it because he hasn't scored a a wonder goal on his debut like the other two? Martial and Rashford did good on their debut season, Henderson is doing well. In fact, if you consider his debut season to be with Sheffield United he has impressed just as much as the others in Season 1.

Martial and Rashford have had about 3 million chances each since then, Dean has been given about 3 chances before we are talking of replacing him with god knows who now. Nick Pope? Donnarumma? The eternal £150 million pipedream Jan Oblak? Please.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
It's not about the performances, it's the way the number of opportunities the players are given before they are turfed out by the fans. Why the difference? Is it because he hasn't scored a a wonder goal on his debut like the other two? Martial and Rashford did good on their debut season, Henderson is doing well. In fact, if you consider his debut season to be with Sheffield United he has impressed just as much as the others in Season 1.

Martial and Rashford have had about 3 million chances each since then, Dean has been given about 3 chances before we are talking of replacing him with god knows who now. Nick Pope? Donnarumma? The eternal £150 million pipedream Jan Oblak? Please.
The difference is as I said. Martial scored 17 goals in his debut season and carried the attack under LVG. He hit the ground running so he had as I said before money in the bank with the fans. Its not rocket science.

I already agreed that Henderson needs time but its not correct to act like their situations were the same. Greenwood scored I believe 16 goals last season (again he has money in the bank with fans), another odd comparison.

spiriticon

The difference is as I said. Martial scored 17 goals in his debut season and carried the attack under LVG. He hit the ground running so he had as I said before money in the bank with the fans. Its not rocket science.

I already agreed that Henderson needs time but its not correct to act like their situations are the same.
Not just talking about you in particular, I just get bemused after reading the general sense of this thread. I feel we treat Henderson very differently to the other young cool attacking players who get chances galore, miss sitters, and still people think 'the next game is the one!!"

There defo should be more money in the bank for Hendo after a debut season like last year. It wouldn't have been right to turf De Gea out this year to give Henderson No.1 this season, because De Gea deserved that bit of goodwill for being ace all those years ago.

That's not Hendo's fault though, and it shouldn't mean that he's not worthy.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
Big Dave would not have made the blunder, because he would never consider coming off his line. It's weird no one has pointed this out yet. You can clearly see Hendo coming his off line, then walking backwards and then not being "ready" to make the save. It's still a big a mistake, but it certainly wasn't made because he doesn't have the reflexes as some have said.

I'll pass judgement on Dean at the end of the season. If he proves to be better than De Gea, it won't be by much. 23 is young for a goalkeeper. VDS wasn't half the goalie he ended up becoming at that age. I really wish we would have done more to keep Romero, because I'm positive both De Gea and Henderson won't be happy being no 2 next season.

fergies coat

Not speaking to you personally, but people need to get off Dean’s back. He’s made a mistake, fine, every goalkeeper does. He’s still the best young keeper in the league, England’s future number 1 and the best performing keeper in the league last season. He was also very good against City just last week. Many people have forgotten that.

As for the reason why I quoted your post, Ben Foster, the man himself said recently that Dean is better than him. Foster himself was and still is a good goalkeeper, just prone to a mistake. I believe Dean will be far better than him and be our number 1 for the next dozen years.

Even in the worst case scenario that he becomes like Foster, we’ve still got ourselves an excellent number 2 because as I said, Foster himself was good, or a lot of money if we sell him. I believe it won’t come to that personally. Give him a chance lads, it’s one mistake.
I know he deserves time. I'm just overly critical of goalkeepers after the Bosnich, Taibi, Barhtez and Roy Carrol years.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Not speaking to you personally, but people need to get off Dean’s back. He’s made a mistake, fine, every goalkeeper does. He’s still the best young keeper in the league, England’s future number 1 and the best performing keeper in the league last season. He was also very good against City just last week. Many people have forgotten that.

As for the reason why I quoted your post, Ben Foster, the man himself said recently that Dean is better than him. Foster himself was and still is a good goalkeeper, just prone to a mistake. I believe Dean will be far better than him and be our number 1 for the next dozen years.

Even in the worst case scenario that he becomes like Foster, we’ve still got ourselves an excellent number 2 because as I said, Foster himself was good, or a lot of money if we sell him. I believe it won’t come to that personally. Give him a chance lads, it’s one mistake.
More than happy to give him a long run. DDG has been great over most of his career but he's not the answer any more. I will forgive Hendo more mistakes for the benefit of a decade of service as no1 hopefully. Sometimes you have to make a mistake to realise it's not a cushy easy career you have to work hard all the time at it.

pablo__p

Not sure that's really true. Saw quite a bit of Sheff Utd after the restart and plenty of the goals he conceded were pretty fecking weak.

A few examples that came to mind (hopefully the timestamps work to just show the actual goals):

Wasn't convinced by him then, not convinced by him now.
Brilliant post. That's exactly what I've been thinking about him and the clips prove that there is more to my opinion than just "an impression" based on nothing.

RashyForPM

More than happy to give him a long run. DDG has been great over most of his career but he's not the answer any more. I will forgive Hendo more mistakes for the benefit of a decade of service as no1 hopefully. Sometimes you have to make a mistake to realise it's not a cushy easy career you have to work hard all the time at it.
Exactly. That’s my logic too. I want to see how he bounces back tomorrow. Would love for him to make a flying save, as it’ll do 3 things:

1) Show the fans his strong mentality
2) Show himself his strong mentality
3) Give him confidence that the Milan game was a one-off.

This guy is the future.

redshaw

He's a bit short and slightly built for my liking and against Milan he crouches down a bit and does a classic Barthez diving back at an angle reducing his height and getting nothing on it. Really would prefer Romero over DDG or Hendo.

Willing to give Hendo time to see, it's not all about height and like some of his attributes but I was absolutely thrilled when we went for VDS, top class tall keeper just sitting there at Fulham and not a surprise we went to win the European cup and get to two other finals. Not a surprise our lacklustre team wins a Europa with Romero who is a very good all round commanding keeper with the build to do the job and not get bounced around. The goal looks too inviting when you have Barthez or Hendo.

We have the highest paid keeper in the world on a long contract, a young small unproven keeper while our best option is completely left out.

Really we need a Peter or VDS caliber keeper.

I doubt Hendo would stay a number 2 for long. To his credit he's not a shy retiring type and will look to move on if he is deemed not good enough for United and doesn't secure number one spot.

Certainly at this stage I hope he gets a good runt to see if he can improve on De Gea, which I'm sure overall he can.

Last edited:

Foxbatt

The same kind of goal was conceded by Villa yesterday When it's headed or hit so close it's going to be difficult. Now I don't know how many times has he played with Bailly, Maguire AWB and Telles. I don't think there are too many games.
There was an instant when he came out and AWB headed it away. Henderson would have got it easily. DeGea would never come for that hence AWB headed it. At least give him a little bit of time.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
He needs to try catch more on a save. He needs to push it wider when he does decide to punch it because many go into gray areas for me. He looks like a De Gea lite to me. He's still young and WILL make....mistakes. Kinda like De Gea does. If he wants to be more dominating he may need to do a fair bit of gym work and if he can raise two hands and not one? Do it. One to support the other.

Mcking

Our defence looks good enough with him, hope he gets the Milan game as well.

If only he adjusted to make what was supposed to be a routine save in the last minute last week, we'd be talking about a 7th consecutive cleansheet having played Real Sociedad, Man City, Everton, West Ham, Milan and Crystal Palace.

Foxbatt

The fact he comes out and flattens out anything in his way is a huge positive. That should be the way. Stop a goal at any cost. If you have to deck your own teamate, so be it.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Nothing game as West Ham didn't muster a single shot to trouble him. Hope he plays the next as we still need to see more of him.

Brad2020

I realize he didn't do much tonight, but another clean sheet for him.

He appears to be really strong on the pitch in providing instructions and organizing the defense were to go. Hope United keep him for the long term.

Jonno

I feel he adds an assurance to the rest of the defence. We play with a higher line, therefore pressing more and playing higher up the pitch.

Yes, he may well be still finding his feet and he did make a mistake v’s AC Milan, but young GKs need a run of games. We still don’t really know how good he is, I hope he plays on Thursday.

Jonno

The fact he comes out and flattens out anything in his way is a huge positive. That should be the way. Stop a goal at any cost. If you have to deck your own teamate, so be it.
Yep, this.

Having DDG in goal for the past few years, whenever I see the cross, my eyes fix on DDG and his positioning. Doing the same with Henderson in this run of games, I see someone who wants to drive the ball out of the box rather than trembling on his line.

It breeds confidence in the defence, suddenly the two CB’s are under a lot less stress and we can play with a higher line.

Foxbatt

Keepers are supposed to come off their line but it seems fashionable to stay on the line. It's refreshing to see that someone is willing to come off his line.

Caesar2290

Pretty solid today. Nice to see that the gaffe didn't affect him. Still went on with business as usual. It's good to see a proactive keeper for a change. It's also good to see that the defense looks more comfortable with him. I don't think any of our CBs had a bad game with him in goal.

Let's see if Ole has the balls to do what needs to be done, ie make Hendo our No.1 for the near future.

arthurka

Anyone else thinks the defense looks better with him behind them? It's not a coincidence that he almost has the same amount of clean sheets as DDG in less than half the games this season.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Anyone else thinks the defense looks better with him behind them? It's not a coincidence that he almost has the same amount of clean sheets as DDG in less than half the games this season.
He does play in easier cup games doesn't he?:-) looks composed and more commanding but mistakes like the one against AC, makes you think how often will he make them? It really is just a poor reflexive save a standard keeper should do. Perhaps a bit overmotivated our Deano. Wish him only well in the next games, He's got his run of games and he can't make any more mistakes while impress with some saves and cmposure.

Dan_F

Thought he would be under far more pressure than he was in the end. Needs to work on his kicking though, those long kicks either went straight out or straight to a West Ham player, and I feel like DDG would be getting called out for it.

arthurka

He does play in easier cup games doesn't he?:-) looks composed and more commanding but mistakes like the one against AC, makes you think how often will he make them? It really is just a poor reflexive save a standard keeper should do. Perhaps a bit overmotivated our Deano. Wish him only well in the next games, He's got his run of games and he can't make any more mistakes while impress with some saves and cmposure.
Well he has played Vs Real Sociedad, Man City, Everton, West Ham, Milan and Crystal Palace and only conceded 1 goal in these games. So not only non league stuff. He commands the backline better, sweeps better, better off the line, his shot stopping might not be DDG level but it's really solid. That goal Vs Milan he clearly could have done better but DDG has served up some really shitty performances for over 3 years now and I would like Henderson to get the nod for the rest of the season.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Really like the way he handles crosses, few instances where he came out of his goal which was refreshing too. Should start against Milan again, will be interesting to see.

Aouer-United

That's it. There are two potential big chances from West Ham but Deano just prevented them from creating chances against us by being more proactive and come off the line quicker. Dean also allows himself to be the third passing between two CB if they felt they could not find players, they can pass to Dean with CB being wide so far which is positive because we get an extra player available for passings and is more involved.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He had nothing to do , define excellent please
While some people are probably going a bit overboard, Henderson is a reason that the goalkeeper doesn't seem to have as much to do. The fact he comes out and takes control of the situation before it develops into an opportunity for an opposition player is what a keeper should be doing. It's too early to say for sure but he also does seem more vocal and controlling for our backline, meaning they won't allow as many chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.