Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kag

I think it’s a little unfair to expect reflexes akin to De Gea at his best. De Gea’s handling from shots has always been (more or less) unrivalled. Henderson is a little less elegant and clean but he’s still very solid. I love how proactive he is. He has things to tidy up but he’s a good goalkeeper, and there are signs that our defence is benefitting from his inclusion.

Siezard

Deano is an amazing player. Hope he protects himself and stays fit and injury-free for the rest of the season.

dpansheth

Ooonnno
Deano play important role in making us more defensively because he commands the box so well and dominates them physcially. I think Milan could have two big chances if it wasn't for him to come off.
Agreed. his is a "normal" keeper. Which is what we needed.
Someone said this makes CDM and an attacker a bigger priority than a CB. I agree with that statement. I would even say if Ole can convince Halaand to join us and if that's the only signing I am okay with that.

Foxbatt

Yes I think a DM and a CF is the least we have to get. If we get either Kane or Haaland and another DM, we should be in business. Hendo was good as he comes out and cleans up everything including his own players if it needs be.

edcunited1878

Happy to see Dean bounce back from last week against ACM. He's growing into the side with a consistent run now. He's deserved this opportunity for a while and glad he's embracing it.

His assertiveness and bravery on high balls and through balls into the box is getting better, which was on display last year with Sheffield.

I don't have issue with either Dean or DDG in goal now that Dean has been playing for 2-3 consecutive weeks against a variety of opponents. Dean has been recognized as the first person to have a legitimate chance of being the 1 as the end is near for DDG. It always depended on when, not if Dean would have a chance.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He communicates really well and is a bit mad like a lot of keepers but I definitely think that Maguire and Lindelof look happier with him.
That’s not necessarily a good thing. You can lose your shit all you want but it didn’t work for a lot of keepers.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I think it’s a little unfair to expect reflexes akin to De Gea at his best. De Gea’s handling from shots has always been (more or less) unrivalled. Henderson is a little less elegant and clean but he’s still very solid. I love how proactive he is. He has things to tidy up but he’s a good goalkeeper, and there are signs that our defence is benefitting from his inclusion.
So like never then? I know I’m being sarcastic but think about it. We’ve a lot a fabulous shot stoppers at United.

DDG handling is what has let him down. If he was able to catch/collect more shots/crosses — he’d be the best goalkeeper ever.
He is certainly the best shot stopper I’ve ever seen. Maybe ever? There is Yashin, Dasaev. I can’t think of many other goalies that had those reflexes. @harms @Invictus @sullydnl could possibly answer.

in particular, the use of his extremities. He’s not the type of a player to throw himself over the ball — he’d rather cover the goal-line.

BorisManUtd

Started 5 games in a row in all competitions now (Leicester on Sunday should be 6th in a row). Looked good enough most of that time. Promising to see.

Ekeke

Our highest rated player statistically in the europa league on whoscored from his 4 matches.

Obviously he made a mistake for the 1 goal he conceded. And theres credit for the defence and to some extent DMs for the clean sheets as well.

Still interesting and there are 2 keepers who are rated to have played better in the europa, Livakovic of Zagreb and Ospina of Napoli

Very solid and promising stuff. Again he made a mistake but other than that 1 in 4 he's done well when called upon and been part of a good defensive record

Ekeke

So like never then? I know I’m being sarcastic but think about it. We’ve a lot a fabulous shot stoppers at United.

DDG handling is what has let him down. If he was able to catch/collect more shots/crosses — he’d be the best goalkeeper ever.
He is certainly the best shot stopper I’ve ever seen. Maybe ever? There is Yashin, Dasaev. I can’t think of many other goalies that had those reflexes. @harms @Invictus @sullydnl could possibly answer.

in particular, the use of his extremities. He’s not the type of a player to throw himself over the ball — he’d rather cover the goal-line.
He doesn't often have matches where his shot stopping is that outstanding anymore. Once in a blue moon. More often he has a match where he should have stopped a shot and his lack of concentration led to it going in

Jacky Quacky

made eight consecutive posts about Fellaini once
I’m definetly getting more and more into the idea of Henderson being the main gk. He looks more dominant and isn’t Affraid of the ball to collect which I good to see. but there’s still one thing I want to know that he can do. Make an amazing save. Ever since he started a lot of the shots were easy to save or at least directed at him. Like De Gea has made an insane amount of incredible saves over the years. I need to know can he do that in a united shirt.
He made one against Ibra?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Quite possibly. It’s very hard to distinguish very, very best keepers, as they're so close to perfection, be it all-rounders like Yashin/Dasayev/Buffon/Banks/Schmeichel or pure shot-stoppers like van Beveren. But it certainly wouldn't be a stretch to put De Gea in the highest tier in terms of his reflexes, and I'd probably agree with you and say that he's the best shot-stopper that I've ever seen.

Or, rather, he was one :(

red4ever 79

Looks comfortable, assured. Has a physical precense, not afraid to boot it long instead of taking needless risks. He doesnt deserve to lose his place thats for sure.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
Looked very close to repeating the same mistake from the first leg on the Zlatan chance.

Brings a lot of positives vs DDG, but still looks to be a fairly technically flawed goalkeeper. Which will eventually get targeted.
Targeted how? Oppossition teams will try to score against us with Henderson in goal?

Redlyn

Improvement on ddg in some areas but shot stopping and clearing his area when he parries look really suspect. Not sure he's the answer.

largelyworried

Very reassuring performance last night, so proactive compared to what we're used to. You can see him when the opposition are lining up balls into the box, his first thought is to intercept the ball somehow. On through balls he's coming out super early to collect or clear, on crosses he's looking to step into the box to collect the cross.

He is definitely going to get caught out from time to time and this is something we'll have to get used to. If Henderson is looking to come out and collect early, but can't, he's less likely to be able to make a save than if he'd stayed put. We're used to De Gea doing the opposite. When the ball comes into the box with DDG, his first thought is to leave it for someone else so he can get into position to save the shot. He usually collects the ball only when its a total gimme.

Thing is though, its always better to prevent a shot than to try and save it. Consistently sitting back to try and save the shot means giving up more chances in the first place. Its the same way that defenders who can read the game really well end up making fewer tackles. We'll see over time whether Henderson can make this approach work for us, but its refreshing to have a keeper attempt it.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Pope will be first choice I think, hasn’t he recently leaned towards Pope rather than Henderson when Pickford isn’t about?
Not sure on that, Southgate is big on playing out from the back and Pope has no experience of that. Henderson has shown he can do it OK and he's more mobile/sweeper keeper which helps with high lines.

Pope is a fantastic shot stopper but his attributes don't suit the way Southgate wants to play IMO.

ShinjiNinja26

He’s shown enough now to be no.1 until the end of the season. If Ole were to drop him now just because De Gea’s back would be extremely harsh and would probably make Henderson think twice about his future here.

largelyworried

Not sure on that, Southgate is big on playing out from the back and Pope has no experience of that. Henderson has shown he can do it OK and he's more mobile/sweeper keeper which helps with high lines.

Pope is a fantastic shot stopper but his attributes don't suit the way Southgate wants to play IMO.
I'd disagree on one point, Pope is one of the more proactive sweepers in the league. Indeed Pope is currently the 7th most proactive sweeper keeper in the top 5 European leagues. Given that Burnley play so deep, this means he's really doing it at every opportunity. Given too that he's in the top 10 keepers in Europe on both shot stopping and cross taking as well (no other keeper in Europe is in the top 10 in all those categories) there's a strong argument that he's the best performing keeper in Europe this season. I really like Henderson and think he has a big future with us, but on the basis of this season, I think Pope has the better shout.

Then again Southgate currently prefers Pickford over Pope, so I guess anything could happen.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I'd disagree on one point, Pope is one of the more proactive sweepers in the league. Indeed Pope is currently the 7th most proactive sweeper keeper in the top 5 European leagues. Given that Burnley play so deep, this means he's really doing it at every opportunity. Given too that he's in the top 10 keepers in Europe on both shot stopping and cross taking as well (no other keeper in Europe is in the top 10 in all those categories) there's a strong argument that he's the best performing keeper in Europe this season. I really like Henderson and think he has a big future with us, but on the basis of this season, I think Pope has the better shout.

Then again Southgate currently prefers Pickford over Pope, so I guess anything could happen.
Fair enough, can’t say I remember him doing much of it but then I don’t watch Burnley a lot.

I still suspect though his lack of foot skill will cost him, but he’s a solid keeper.

Devil81

Think the defence as a whole look a whole lot better with him sat behind them. Don't know if it's a communication thing but he comes for the ball and he claims the ball and he commands that area.

His distribution is far better as well, I've been really impressed with his throwing ability.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Pleased for him that he got to save a very similar effort to the goal he conceded. Especially when Twitter experts were saying it was because of fundamental flaws in his game.

Something I’ve noticed that he can do which DDG can’t is give the ball a ferocious belt. Seems to have 20-30 yards more distance on his clearances when he goes long. Which must be reassuring for defenders when we’re passing round at the back. If we’re ever struggling with the press they know the keeper can consistently ping it deep into the opposition half.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Not sure how he redeemed himself with the save in similar fashion. If the technique is bad the either he was unlucky last week or lucky yesterday. Its could have gone wrong, the most we can say is that he timed it well.

b82REZ

I wasn't totally convinced by him at the start of the season but he does seem to have an air of arrogance about him that top keepers need to succeed.

Very good defensive record since he's been in the team and he doesn't seem to get bullied on set pieces like Dave does.

He definitely deserves to be stay as our number 1, but I think he'll get dropped for DDG

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Pleased for him that he got to save a very similar effort to the goal he conceded. Especially when Twitter experts were saying it was because of fundamental flaws in his game.

Something I’ve noticed that he can do which DDG can’t is give the ball a ferocious belt. Seems to have 20-30 yards more distance on his clearances when he goes long. Which must be reassuring for defenders when we’re passing round at the back. If we’re ever struggling with the press they know the keeper can consistently ping it deep into the opposition half.
Agreed, I think it's still part of his game he needs to work on, but much improved from that first leg.

Not sure if it's just me, he just doesn't seem to have as strong of a hand when saving like De Gea in his pomp. That's the only real flaw I can find in him. But his proactivity in the area, to starting attacks and that throw of his is a breathe of fresh air.

Eugenius

Targeted how? Oppossition teams will try to score against us with Henderson in goal?
Flaws get targeted. When DDG first came it was said he was bad from distance and we would have people trying to take ridiculous long shots (after the Dzeko goal in the CS). Now it's obvious teams try to hit low and flat corners into a crowd of near post players because they know DDG doesn't come for them. Same for Joe Hart, people began deliberately shooting low to his to left. He wasn't the same keeper after that.

If you have a noticeable flaw in your game then sooner or later it becomes something the opposition take notice of. Which is why I'm not completely sold on Dean. He seems to make a meal of a routine save once a game.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Flaws get targeted. When DDG first came it was said he was bad from distance and we would have people trying to take ridiculous long shots (after the Dzeko goal in the CS). Now it's obvious teams try to hit low and flat corners into a crowd of near post players because they know DDG doesn't come for them. Same for Joe Hart, people began deliberately shooting low to his to left. He wasn't the same keeper after that.

If you have a noticeable flaw in your game then sooner or later it becomes something the opposition take notice of. Which is why I'm not completely sold on Dean. He seems to make a meal of a routine save once a game.
So how do the opposition target him? Be specific.

Lappen

I like Henderson and he is the future. We are "lucky" to already have the future in place!

But I still consider DDG a better goalkeeper for us. I think whats going to decides what happens, and who will be our nr 1, is what DDG wants. Does he wants to stay in Manchester? It was tuff before with his girlfriends job and career, and now there is a kid involved as well. My gut feeling is that he will run instead of stay and fight.

Henderson has so far not been really tested, has he? shots her and there... no big saves I believe. He did save some shots that was blown for offside that was really good and would count as big saves if I remember correctly.
I would also love to know how the defenders grade them both. I kind of have a feeling they feel better with Henderson. If that is the case, he should be our nr 1.

I think that my feeling that DDG is the nr1 is because of the type of games we play. We do not lett the opponent get many chances, but quite often we give them this crazy good ones, and our goalkeeper needs to be the magician that saves thous like DDG does and probably is the best in the world to do...

Its a great "problem" to have!

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord

You literally said he's (and I quote): "fairly technically flawed"?
The feck does that even mean? How will they target that in Deanie's case?

red4ever 79

Sho
He’s shown enough now to be no.1 until the end of the season. If Ole were to drop him now just because De Gea’s back would be extremely harsh and would probably make Henderson think twice about his future here.
Should always play a player in form. It's the only honest way. Henderson does not deserve to be dropped at the moment. However, I think Ole will do just that.

Eugenius

You literally said he's (and I quote): "fairly technically flawed"?
The feck does that even mean? How will they target that in Deanie's case?
He looks like he parries the ball a bit too much when saving (which others have mentioned even from SU days), and doesn't look completely in control where he's parrying it (there were a couple of examples yesterday).

And it looks to me his save for the Zlatan chance looked as awkward as he did for the Kjaer goal. He's falling backwards on himself. I think DDG has stronger wrists in general and tips that over the bar or away (cf Sevilla) rather than it looping up in the air.

I'm not a goalkeeping expert but you can eye ball he looks a bit awkward in some situations. And if he's our number 1 people will pay attention to those more.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
He looks like he parries the ball a bit too much when saving (which others have mentioned even from SU days), and doesn't look completely in control where he's parrying it (there were a couple of examples yesterday).

And it looks to me his save for the Zlatan chance looked as awkward as he did for the Kjaer goal. He's falling backwards on himself. I think DDG has stronger wrists in general and tips that over the bar or away (cf Sevilla) rather than it looping up in the air.

I'm not a goalkeeping expert but you can eye ball he looks a bit awkward in some situations. And if he's our number 1 people will pay attention to those more.
Hey, I'm no expert either.

There were a few times during his run where he could have grabbed the ball instead of punching it. There were also a couple of times where he shot the ball off the pitch. All fair criticisms. I just don't see how the former is targetable? Aren't player in the box and top poachers always thinking "what if" (the ball lands here)? Not saying that it won't cost us eventually, it will. Some weaknesses are very targetable, like not marking a player that's poop on the ball. I don't see how Hendo's specifically are, unlike De Gea's.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Overall, I’d say his audition has been pretty decent. He’s shown assurance in many occasions, but he also gives me a bit of the Jordan Pickford vibe at times!

I did notice from his Sheffield days too how often his saves end up back in front of him in the penalty box. That is something that can and will improve I’m sure.

Overall, not sure yet whether he’s a solid goalkeeper or a great one. A ‘solid’ keeper is still often good enough in many teams. You don’t need to save what you aren’t expected to save, just keep mistakes to a minimum and have a decent presence. He has that at least. We’ll see if he has that 10% extra now to be one of the best and separate himself from the regular PL keeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.