Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

A-man

It means we can push the defensive line up the pitch.
Exactly. There has been so much talk about how we can’t play a high line with a slow Maguire, unless a super fast CB can cover for him. But it’s much more effective with a pro-active Neuer style goal keeper.

RedIan

Made Some gold stops today, not only that i could hear him shout “keepers” a few times when he came for the ball. Dominant trait Lacking in DDG.

AKDevil

Just an observation, find it interesting how much teams try to crowd him at corners. Is there a weakness they’ve picked up there?

Bocca9978

Don’t like to slag off DDG but seeing Henderson command more and sprint out to clear was nice to see. Played well today.

Swiss_Red89

I'm no goal keeper expert but he really seems to be worth to sell DeGea for. I feel he has this positive arrogance and aura about him which is needed to survive under this amount of pressure.

He still has his shortcomings as a keeper of course, but his positivness, selfconfidence and the fact he's desperate to perform for us is worth a try for me. And he seems to back it up with the needed skills as well (which is the most important part tbf).

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
He made 2 or 3 solid saves, but it was all about those 2 clearances outside of the penalty area. It's basic stuff, but I'm 100% certain De Gea doesn't come for either of those, as he never does.

I don't think Henderson's top level will be quite as good as De Gea's was, but I think Henderson has a much more complete game, where as De Gea's peak was reliant on making impossible looking saves.

Henderson's distribution has been excellent too. Looks like he can launch it as far as Ederson does, and he put a few long balls right into Pogba.

kidbob

Today was the day that I first could see him as our long term keeper. Absolutely incredible overall. Unlike others I'm not a De Gea hater, who was our best player through our worst moments but now is the first time I support trying to get money for him and letting Dean take the reigns.

ash_86

Perfect performance 100/100. I was in tears seeing him out of the line and clearing things. He's top keeper and deserves to be No 1

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
His style is very similar to Dave . I don't think his ceiling will be as great as De Gea but his floor at the moment is way higher than Dave . Also it's nice to have a keeper who comes out of the box at times

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Exactly. There has been so much talk about how we can’t play a high line with a slow Maguire, unless a super fast CB can cover for him. But it’s much more effective with a pro-active Neuer style goal keeper.
He is obviously better than De Gea in that regard. And given De Gea spent the summer working to improve his sweeping, it's likely the coaching staff know we needed more in that area. So absolutely a high-line should function better for us with Henderson.

But based on everything we've seen of Henderson up to today, he absolutely isn't that pro-active Neuer-style goalkeeper, as reflected in his sweeping stats which were bang on average for a PL goalkeeper. He's more well rounded than De Gea but stylistically he's a shot-stopper closer in ilk to the Spaniard than he is to Neuer.

That's partly why I was impressed with him today. His sweeping was better than it usually is, not a reflection of how he generally plays. If that's something he can keep working on....

El Zoido

He just looks to be a better goalkeeper than De Gea to me. I’m not exactly a gk expert, I just feel way more confident with every aspect of Henderson’s game compared to DDG.

A-man

He is obviously better than De Gea in that regard. And given De Gea spent the summer working to improve his sweeping, it's likely the coaching staff know we needed more in that area. So absolutely a high-line should function better for us with Henderson.

But based on everything we've seen of Henderson up to today, he absolutely isn't that pro-active Neuer-style goalkeeper, as reflected in his sweeping stats which were bang on average for a PL goalkeeper. He's more well rounded than De Gea but stylistically he's a shot-stopper closer in ilk to the Spaniard than he is to Neuer.

That's partly why I was impressed with him today. His sweeping was better than it usually is, not a reflection of how he generally plays. If that's something he can keep working on....
No, you’re right, this was a new aspect added to his game. He has left his line more than DDG, to claim crosses etc, but not been sweeping, and today he did it three times. I hope it wasn’t a one-off, and that he keeps doing that.

El Jefe

This was such a pleasing performance frim Deano. Like someone said earlier, he looked like a No.1 Manchester United GK today.

bsCallout

Just an observation, find it interesting how much teams try to crowd him at corners. Is there a weakness they’ve picked up there?
I'd be tempted to say that is a decision made based on usually DDG playing in goal for us.

bsCallout

Those stats are skewed as he played for a weaker team who set-up with a deep back line at Sheffield Utd. Every game for United he is much further off his line that DDG has ever been and has cleared a fair few even running out the side of the pitch to try and clear a ball.

DCP

You could hear him claim the ball for a start. Got to be easier to play infront of.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
He’s not the tallest or biggest keeper. Those may be factors.
Dean gets targeted at corners because he is shocking at them

Go back and watch the Sheffield match (the one we lost 2-1) time and time again they loop the ball over the top of him and aim for a player in behind to get a header or a tap in. He struggles big time when the ball gets lofted over the top of him on corners. It's a massive weakness of his and it worked against sheffield as we conceded from a corner.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

No offence mate because your posts are well considered in here and I get that you are trying to temper expectations but you can’t continually come in this thread and bring up last seasons stats. I do see you camped up in here a fair amount referring back to last season. It’s an entirely different role/expectation being the no 1 at Utd, and while we can look back at his Sheffield loan to see his talent the stats are largely irrelevant.

I can see from my eye that he’s doing things De Gea has never really done. There’s still going to be questions over his fundamentals but so far he’s certainly not looked weak in any departments. It’s still too early to fully say he’s going to be a world class keeper but I think calling a spade a spade, he’s been good and much better than De Gea of the last three seasons.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Go back and watch the Sheffield match (the one we lost 2-1) time and time again they loop the ball over the top of him and aim for a player in behind to get a header or a tap in. He struggles big time when the ball gets lofted over the top of him on corners. It's a massive weakness of his and it worked against sheffield as we conceded from a corner.
Did rather well today, especially during the long cross over him with Bale challenging him (this wasn’t from a static restart, but the style of cross was the same with multiple opponents in the box).

We can always take specific games to fit our preconceived viewpoints, but I like Henderson’s ability to deal with crosses more proactively than DDG’s style.

Dve

His style is very similar to Dave . I don't think his ceiling will be as great as De Gea but his floor at the moment is way higher than Dave . Also it's nice to have a keeper who comes out of the box at times
I think actually he´s quite different from De Gea. Henderson is more offensive minded both in his clearances and in how he treat the ball under pressure.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Can comfortably say we may well have lost if we used DDG instead today. At least three occassions Henderson came sweeping out, well outside his box. De Gea would not have done so and would have meant a one-on-one situation, a goal or a red card.

Made a couple of decent stops too, but more importantly is that having Henderson in goal allows us to play further up the pitch - it has a major impact on our overall play.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Did rather well today, especially during the long cross over him with Bale challenging him (this wasn’t from a static restart, but the style of cross was the same with multiple opponents in the box).

We can always take specific games to fit our preconceived viewpoints, but I like Henderson’s ability to deal with crosses more proactively than DDG’s style.
The 2-1 loss to Sheffield was just the most obvious one from memory that I can see to show off how teams target Henderson, maybe it was because he was on loan to them for quite some time that they knew of this weakness of his? I dunno, it's just something I've picked up on when watching him play a few games now.

That being said, as has been said here a few times, I really like how vocal & commanding he is

RUCK4444

Like him coming off his line super quick twice today, stopping what would have been a real chance for Kane in the second half.

De Gea would have stayed on his line for the latter I feel.

Not sure if he will ever have a ceiling as high as peak De Gea but if he can be a top all-rounder and bring the added distribution and the sweeper style then he will be a real asset for us.

Bondi77

Today was the day that I first could see him as our long term keeper. Absolutely incredible overall. Unlike others I'm not a De Gea hater, who was our best player through our worst moments but now is the first time I support trying to get money for him and letting Dean take the reigns.
And long may he rein!

SSSSnake

Commanding today. Solid saves at crucial times and as people saw he can cut out those through balls. The complete goal keeper performance.

Sylar

The overall benefit of having him as our goalkeeper is bigger than having DDG

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Commanding today. Solid saves at crucial times and as people saw he can cut out those through balls. The complete goal keeper performance.
yep it’s huge for the confidence of our defence to play higher.

de gea being too passive clearly effected the defence and made them sit back 5 yards more than they should be

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The 2-1 loss to Sheffield was just the most obvious one from memory that I can see to show off how teams target Henderson, maybe it was because he was on loan to them for quite some time that they knew of this weakness of his? I dunno, it's just something I've picked up on when watching him play a few games now.

That being said, as has been said here a few times, I really like how vocal & commanding he is
Crowding any keeper to any voluminous extent will often cause such. No keeper can make his / her way through a mass of bodies, half of which are trying to disrupt you.

It will be his vocalization & proactivity that will allow him to better DDG significantly in the cross collection department. While I have cherished Dave’s ability to make a reflex save off of a shot / header from a cross, I prefer a more proactive keeper vis à vis cross collection. Such proactivity will create spills & howlers, but I would be willing to accept some of those if defensive solidity keeps improving as it seems to have.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Teams had a lot of joy doing it against de Gea, perhaps they're still testing the waters with Henderson. In all honesty every team should crowd the oppo keeper at corners, it puts them on edge every time.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Think he has one of the highest cross claiming percentages in the entire league so it's an area he's obviously been working on.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Some of the comments on that tweet just make my head hurt. :houllier: Imagine having an agenda against our own player, because he is English and is from the youth setup, which automatically means that he is getting a chance only due to those reasons alone.
That's crazy. I mean, I'm no Englishman but that's a big part of why I support Manchester United.

He's my number one. This game has proven it. Top display.

The Irish Connection

Can comfortably say we may well have lost if we used DDG instead today. At least three occassions Henderson came sweeping out, well outside his box. De Gea would not have done so and would have meant a one-on-one situation, a goal or a red card.

Made a couple of decent stops too, but more importantly is that having Henderson in goal allows us to play further up the pitch - it has a major impact on our overall play.
You’re spot on.

arthurka

Today he has great distribution, claimed everything thrown at him, sweeped the Spurs turf like a janitor on amphetamine and made some great saves. It's been long since we have had an complete goalkeeper performance like this.

Clearly our number one.

Another tough call made by our clueless manager.

Longshanks

De Gea was in nets for the 2-1defeat to sheff u. So erm yeah no idea what your on about.

Status
Not open for further replies.