Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBBQ

This performance could be pivotal for his development; how he reacts to the scrutiny in the press, the ridicule by opposition fans on his positioning for the Sallah goal, whether Ole may go with De Gea for the Europa League final.

Either he learns from it and gets better (like De Gea did when he was under pressure when he first joined) or he wilts and doesn’t quite make the grade (like Howard or Foster). But considering it’s him making the ultimatum to be number one or he will leave, last nights performance would surely have put De Gea back in the picture.

OrcaFat

I don’t think he’s good enough.

He will improve but working from where he’s at now, I don’t think he’s going to get there. Hope I’m wrong.

Denis79

He's ok and does the job but nothing special. DDG should start the final.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I cant wait for people to say they want this <25 year old goalkeeper who does well when nearly everyone is shit until they have aged in to their gk prime.

Classical Mechanic

This performance could be pivotal for his development; how he reacts to the scrutiny in the press, the ridicule by opposition fans on his positioning for the Sallah goal, whether Ole may go with De Gea for the Europa League final.

Either he learns from it and gets better (like De Gea did when he was under pressure when he first joined) or he wilts and doesn’t quite make the grade (like Howard or Foster). But considering it’s him making the ultimatum to be number one or he will leave, last nights performance would surely have put De Gea back in the picture.
Agree. It was a nightmarish showing although the whole side played in a similar fashion. He deserves some more time to prove himself and progress.

On De Gea, I think he was always in line to start the EL final anyway. My feeling is that he wants to leave this summer to be with his family. The EL final will be his goodbye.

Last edited:

bsCallout

It feels a bit unfair to judge him too much when the display infront of him to help him was SO bad but he really did make some very rookie errors.

I don't want to go OTT but it is a worrying GK situation now.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Third goal showed he didn’t even have a central defender.

will be a good goalkeeper that gets better with time.

it’s his first season at United and people are giving up on a 24 year old goalkeeper

Ekeke

It wasnt a good performance but De Gea has had loads of those, so hes still doing well in the comparison

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
What worried me was not the performance, but the lack of goalkeeping technique shown. Those were some real basic errors, it's worrying.

BFernandes

Last night seems to have fogged people's memories about just how shit De Gea has been the last 2-3 years.

Clanger after clanger, I will never forget his performance against Leipzeg away in this year's CL. A complete shithouse.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Last night seems to have fogged people's memories about just how shit De Gea has been the last 2-3 years.

Clanger after clanger, I will never forget his performance against Leipzeg away in this year's CL. A complete shithouse.
But we should be aiming for a keeper that's on the same level as peak DDG or close to that. Henderson is a good keeper, but I can't ever see him being one of the best keepers in the world.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20

De Gea declining and Henderson not being good enough isn't at 'one or the other' choice.

Unfortunately, it could easily be both.

Alejandro Angel

It wasnt a good performance but De Gea has had loads of those, so hes still doing well in the comparison
Yes De Gea has had bad performances, but has always shown talent, that Henderson has never really shown.
He is supposed to be better at coming for crosses but teams crowd the utd goalkeeper just as much whether it is Henderson or DeGea both are not that commanding.
His supposed strength is his speed coming of his line, he has made some really poor decisions coming off his line or not the champions league game where he came out and made it much easier for Demba Ba to score.
For me he is a overhyped England player, he is rightfully third in the pecking order for England. Just not good enough for utd maybe a second choice keeper.

Zoo

I can’t get over what he did for the Salah goal. Lot of talk about how confident he is, even thinking that he could be best in the world but he just retreated like a scared little boy and made it so simple for Salah.

OleGunnar20

What worried me was not the performance, but the lack of goalkeeping technique shown. Those were some real basic errors, it's worrying.
Agreed, it was on another level.

I was all for Henderson getting his shot and obviously hope he turns it around. Signs so far however suggest he has more than a little bit of the 'Pickfords' about him. Lots of talk and just as many errors.

We'll see ey. I imagine De Gea is off this summer, which will give Dean the season to lock things down.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I can’t get over what he did for the Salah goal. Lot of talk about how confident he is, even thinking that he could be best in the world but he just retreated like a scared little boy and made it so simple for Salah.
It really is one of the most bizarre conscious bits of goalkeeping I've ever seen.... Like a keeper spilling the ball, or fumbling, or Leno'ing it into your own net are bad, but they obviously don't mean to do that.

Henderson made the active choice to be as small as possible...crazy.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Nothing to blame apart from the 3rd goal in my opinion but that 3rd goal is basically the same as the first goal we conceded when DDG was in goal vs 3-3 Everton.

Nothing to blame apart from the 3rd goal in my opinion but that 3rd goal is basically the same as the first goal we conceded when DDG was in goal vs 3-3 Everton.
his positioning for the 4th goal was truly shocking. For me that was more of an issue than the 3rd. That’s not an error, that’s a fundamental issue in his positioning.

im not going nuclear like a lot of people. It was poor from him yesterday, but he’s deserved his chance to prove himself.

we don’t dump him after one shocker. If we did, there wouldn’t be many survivors from yesterday.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Agreed, it was on another level.

I was all for Henderson getting his shot and obviously hope he turns it around. Signs so far however suggest he has more than a little bit of the 'Pickfords' about him. Lots of talk and just as many errors.

We'll see ey. I imagine De Gea is off this summer, which will give Dean the season to lock things down.
LEt's see if he can step up and if he's open enough to learn. He has difficulties to properly dodge a shot, and even more difficulties on the ball handling for several times. Not sure if De Gea is off: clubs outside EPL excluding PSG and Bayern are having less funds for next season and I really doubt they'll spend it on a goalkeeper.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
his positioning for the 4th goal was truly shocking. For me that was more of an issue than the 3rd. That’s not an error, that’s a fundamental issue in his positioning.

im not going nuclear like a lot of people. It was poor from him yesterday, but he’s deserved his chance to prove himself.

we don’t dump him after one shocker. If we did, there wouldn’t be many survivors from yesterday.
How can he do better for that 4th then?

rooney2009

This
Totally agree with this
He had totally lost his confidence by then

tenpoless

If he is De Gea replacement we're fecked. He is not any better. In fact he's worse. Almost all the things he could do, De Gea does it better. But all the things we've been crying about for De Gea to improve, Henderson doesn't have them either.

NK86

If he is De Gea replacement we're fecked. He is not any better. In fact he's worse. Almost all the things he could do, De Gea does it better. But all the things we've been crying about for De Gea to improve, Henderson doesn't have them either.
He is better than De Gea at mopping up or closes down attackers much quicker. Unfortunately his shot stopping is nowhere near the levels we have gotten used to with De Gea between the sticks.

valeron21

Bad night for him, fumbled the third goal and the last goal .. dreadful , I would of scored with that much of the net to aim at

How can he do better for that 4th then?
Are you serious?

by not giving salah the entire goal to aim at. Come out, narrow the angle. salah put the ball two years past Henderson’s right foot, and the ball ended up in the middle of the goal. You could have driven one of Jose’s buses through that gap.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Think he is much better at being a sweeper keeper, initiates counters quicker, has a more accurate pass/kick, and he's bolder than de Gea. In terms of shot stopping/reflexes/positioning I'd say de Gea is ahead but it is funny that everyone is forgetting de Gea's clangers all of a sudden.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
He reminds me of Valdez minus the experience at top level. Not sure if this will be good enough for us.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Not gonna lie he reminds me of Joe Hart.

Blonde, English, playing for a Manchester club, capable of making spectacular saves, capable of making terrible mistakes, got brought into the team after an impressive season at a lower PL team, both played for Shrewsbury.

It’s actually weird. Does this mean Pep will arrive in a few years & loan him to Torino!? :drool:

Last edited:

Alejandro Angel

Think he is much better at being a sweeper keeper, initiates counters quicker, has a more accurate pass/kick, and he's bolder than de Gea. In terms of shot stopping/reflexes/positioning I'd say de Gea is ahead but it is funny that everyone is forgetting de Gea's clangers all of a sudden.
Last night came out of his eighteen yard box had two easy passes to Lindeloff and Bailey but stayed out thinking about his options when we needed quicker movement of the ball. Eventually decides to play a clipped pass to Shaw and plays it above him gifts possession back to Liverpool. He has not shown much better passing range, I know the current midfield can make it hard to pass out from the back but Hendersons passing is only average, I cannot see the potential to be the best at any particular skill set in goalkeeping. Plus to many deficiencies in the main skill set, he is a average keeper not a excellent Keeper.
I think Ederson, Schmeichel, Mendy,Allison are all better.

Godfather

Blonde, English, playing for a Manchester club, capable of making spectacular saves, capable of making terrible mistakes, got brought into the team after an impressive season at a lower PL team, both played for Shrewsbury.

It’s actually weird.
Not seen a spectacular save yet.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I keep thinking he’s clearly nervous and will improve once the nerves fade. Stuff like rushing out of his goal the other day, the goals last night etc all point to just a bad case of nerves.

The question is, will they fade? Ben Foster had 9 games to make or break his United career and couldn’t hack it. As soon as he dropped back down to West Brom he turned into a good keeper again. It’ll be interesting to see if he’s able to get past the jitters and settle down.

No Love

Bad night for him, fumbled the third goal and the last goal .. dreadful , I would of scored with that much of the net to aim at
Yes, but you are former Deportivo La Coruña and Spain midfielder, Juan Carlos Valeron. It stands to reason that you would tuck that chance away, given the career you had.

Posh Red

It’s actually weird. Does this mean Pep will arrive in a few years & loan him to Torino!? :drool:
He’s on record saying Hart is someone he looks up to a lot and sees as a mentor

Status
Not open for further replies.