Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He rushes out and Salah probably repeats this

Probably placed doubt in his mind, which is understandable. Looks like he’s damned if he does or doesn’t by a lot of posters on here...
Do you believe in this what you wrote? This is awful awful keeping. Amateur level. No if or but here. And he is not damned if he does. He must go out and wait Salah around penalty box. Cut the angle. He put himself in position where he opened whole right side of the goal for left footed attacker. And on top of that he put zero pressure on him. Awful.

But he managed to do one thing. Nobody is talking how his bad punch put back Pool in game and how he gave them third goal. So at the end, yeah, it was smart move by Henderson.

Red_toad

Do you believe in this what you wrote? This is awful awful keeping. Amateur level. No if or but here. And he is not damned if he does. He must go out and wait Salah around penalty box. Cut the angle. He put himself in position where he opened whole right side of the goal for left footed attacker. And on top of that he put zero pressure on him. Awful.

But he managed to do one thing. Nobody is talking how his bad punch put back Pool in game and how he gave them third goal. So at the end, yeah, it was smart move by Henderson.
So what top level keepers are you coaching? You’re posting like you’re an expert on the subject!

Salah was going to score regardless in my opinion. You disagree then fine, but it’s still your opinion. He rushed out and got chipped, he held back and he put the ball to the side of him, 2 examples on things that happened on the thread!

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Probably placed doubt in his mind, which is understandable. Looks like he’s damned if he does or doesn’t by a lot of posters on here...
If one week he dived to his left when a shot was going to his right and the next week he dived to his right when a shot was going to his left, you wouldn't then say "well he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't". The point is that he has to actually respond correctly to what's happening in front of him. A goal might be still be scored but at least he won't have handed it to the opponents.

For example, his poor decision on this most recent Salah goal doesn't isn't somehow more excusable because he made the opposite poor decision on this other goal:

Even more so given the decision to stay on his line was only one of two bad decisions he made for the Salah goal, the other being positioning himself far too far to his near post.

People (rightly) saying he shouldn't be judged on one bad game I can understand. Pretending glaring errors aren't glaring errors, not so much.

Red_toad

If one week he dived to his left when a shot was going to his right and the next week he dived to his right when a shot was going to his left, you wouldn't then say "well he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't". The point is that he has to actually respond correctly to what's happening in front of him. A goal might be still be scored but at least he won't have handed it to the opponents.

For example, his poor decision on this most recent Salah goal doesn't isn't somehow more excusable because he made the opposite poor decision on this other goal:

Even more so given the decision to stay on his line was only one of two bad decisions he made for the same goal, the other being positioning himself far too far to his near post.
Hmm ok you’ve proved the point, thanks for the picture, not sure what it’s supposed to prove.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Yh I get the idea behind it, I just think it's super easy to criticise but in reality it's something that happened in the blink of any eye. The life of a keeper i guess.
And yet, other keepers manage it. You say blink of an eye but part of the goalkeeping thing is reading the play. As soon as it goes through to him, he should be out to influence, trying to narrow the angle or put pressure on his touch but there is nothing there. I've no problem with Henderson but De Geas better. If Henderson can be humble and correct these things then fine but why should we lose a better goalkeeper on someone with an ego who has not proved it at United? Again, he's made mistakes and even when he's made saves in the season, the balls gone back into dangerous areas of the pitch. He's not been convincing. He's done better with his feet then his hands. I can't say watching him, that he's made a great save with his hands yet. I don't know. I think people want to see things but you got to come out for the forth goal. Please don't try to suggest he only had a second to react.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Hmm ok you’ve proved the point, thanks for the picture, not sure what it’s supposed to prove.
The picture is an example of him fecking up by making the opposite bad decision (rushing out instead of holding his ground). It's there to underscore the fact that your point ("he's damned if he does or he doesn't") is nonsense, because both can independently be mistakes.

bsCallout

He was very poor for that Salah goal in particular but it is something easily learned and he is young. I think we can win the league with him but I think he is a long way off being a top keeper.

I think it's really all down to what DDG WANTS to do. We aren't going to go out and buy another keeper, if DDG wants to leave then we might be able to get an experienced keeper cheap or free, giving Henderson time still to prove himself and grow.

Striker10

So what top level keepers are you coaching? You’re posting like you’re an expert on the subject!

Salah was going to score regardless in my opinion. You disagree then fine, but it’s still your opinion. He rushed out and got chipped, he held back and he put the ball to the side of him, 2 examples on things that happened on the thread!
Let's look at what you say. In standing there, he has absolutely no chance of doing anything. If he had have come out Salah might have needed an extra touch which might have led to a bad touch or maybe not. If he feigns to dive and salah tries the chip he might save it or he might not. But you cannot give up. And I doubt seriously, he said it was salah and just decided to stand there. If a goalkeeper has that attitude where they're beaten before even trying....you have to try to do something. You cannot just stand there on the off chance that the striker for some reason aims for the near post...

All those years ago Fabian tried something, and if it had have come off people might still be talking about it. But Henderson was flat footed and it's poor goalkeeping. Until the ball is in the net, it's not in the net and top strikers are capable of missing. Just like a top keeper is capable of a world class save. I would love to be wrong. I want that but his level this season been average.

Last edited:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

I am posting about it because this really is not for debate. Many things are and i agree with you in that. But this just isn't.
Waiting on 6 yard box in not an option. Basic goalkeeping is to rush out and cut the angle (like Dave does). You talk how chip is something what is easy to do for players. Well, it isn't and that is why players rarely do that in one on one (not counting last moment chips like Welbeck did yesterday).

Anyway, then why is he mocked and criticized this much about it? One on one situation. When did you last time read that gk is mocked and criticized about it? He obviously did awful there and there is no need to defend him. First and third goal is matter of opinion but this really isn't.

tomaldinho1

And yet, other keepers manage it. You say blink of an eye but part of the goalkeeping thing is reading the play. As soon as it goes through to him, he should be out to influence, trying to narrow the angle or put pressure on his touch but there is nothing there. I've no problem with Henderson but De Geas better. If Henderson can be humble and correct these things then fine but why should we lose a better goalkeeper on someone with an ego who has not proved it at United? Again, he's made mistakes and even when he's made saves in the season, the balls gone back into dangerous areas of the pitch. He's not been convincing. He's done better with his feet then his hands. I can't say watching him, that he's made a great save with his hands yet. I don't know. I think people want to see things but you got to come out for the forth goal. Please don't try to suggest he only had a second to react.
This now just seems agenda driven as it’s a bit over the top no? You can hyperanalyse everything if you want but he also did some very good things in this game as well as make a couple of errors. We were pretty dire as a team. For me I think it’s clear he’s our best option purely because DDG doesn’t suit Ole’s tactics.

If you can’t think of a good save he’s made with his hands, you need to watch United every week. Off the top of my head Mahrez save and that worldie versus Brighton...there are no doubt more.

Striker10

This now just seems agenda driven as it’s a bit over the top no? You can hyperanalyse everything if you want but he also did some very good things in this game as well as make a couple of errors. We were pretty dire as a team. For me I think it’s clear he’s our best option purely because DDG doesn’t suit Ole’s tactics.

If you can’t think of a good save he’s made with his hands, you need to watch United every week. Off the top of my head Mahrez save and that worldie versus Brighton...there are no doubt more.
Not really. We risk potentially losing a better goalkeeper in the long run. We've seen a lot of hyperbole. If you say I want to be number one? You will be looked at. People have said Davids over the hill at 29. Past his best. It's unfathomable that he could return to his best. Despite goalkeepers lasting typically far longer then outfield players. Henderson wants to be number one? Fine. That's the standard he set himself and from what i've seen, he's on the bench. We won a league with David. The defensive unit improved but it had to improve as we've made stupid mistakes all season long from the back. It's a critical position. It took us ages to replace Big Pete and again Van Der Sar but those were top quality keepers. Henderson isn't. For LONG stretches, I think De Gea has been. His last performance was very good. It's actually in our interests for De Gea to get back his level because we will be jammy....if Henderson get's close to what De Gea was not that long ago.

Belief can only get you so far. It's up to Henderson to show he's ready because we're improving as a team and need a strong keeper

Last edited:

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
The picture is an example of him fecking up by making the opposite bad decision (rushing out instead of holding his ground). It's there to underscore the fact that your point ("he's damned if he does or he doesn't") is nonsense, because both can independently be mistakes.
Rushing out is not just "rushing out". It is too simple to describe it. It includes timing and positioning. Just like penalty saving for example is not "you choose side and dive".

Look at Dave how he does it. He always do it right. He is always in right place on one on one.
Henderson is really bad on these situations. Maybe because he wasn't in those situations often in SU. When team play very deep like SU played, they don't offer these kind of chances to other teams. But in United who in most of games play with high line, it is pretty important skill for gk.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

I’m not sure not rushing out was the entire problem, to me it was his positioning where he allowed Salah the entire goal to aim for, he did very little to mitigate the goal.

Anyway it’s happened now and he has loads of chances to learn from this.

Red_toad

The picture is a frame from a moment in a game. It shows nothing, just a split second, it doesn’t show anything, other than someone might have made a shot or maybe not. I posted a video as to why he might have had doubt in his mind. Yes he made an error, but look at all the replies I’m getting, like I’m excusing what happened. Maybe he was affected by the previous chip, maybe not. I don’t know what was in his mind, nor does anyone else, just the typical Caf blame culture going on, moving from certain player to another certain player.

Gavinb33

Whatever Henderson does or doesn't do there Salah would score 9 times out of 10, we are talking about the PL leading scorer over the past 3 years being on 1 on 1 with a keeper here, was it poor yes would the outcome have been any different if he did something else I would say not.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Whatever Henderson does or doesn't do there Salah would score 9 times out of 10, we are talking about the PL leading scorer over the past 3 years being on 1 on 1 with a keeper here, was it poor yes would the outcome have been any different if he did something else I would say not.
That is not how football works. We can't know that. Maybe it would be that 1/10 times when he misses. Especially this year's Salah who is not striker who "9 times of 10 scores that".

Gavinb33

That is not how football works. We can't know that. Maybe it would be that 1/10 times when he misses. Especially this year's Salah who is not striker who "9 times of 10 scores that".
Salah is the leading scorer in the league or at least joint with Kane.

Also you can predict it i wonder what XG that chance was rated bet it was the higher end, in that scenario the attacker always holds the cards, the only keeper I've seen who would dominate that 1 on 1 is Schmeichel

UncleBob

I like how we're arguing against the goalkeeper getting his basic stuff right , because it would probably be a goal anyway.

Rilz

Supports
Manchester united
Its absolute basics, you come out and meet the attacker. Even if Salah scores, atleast make it difficult for him.

Its basics! when we play 7 v 7 or 5 aside kickabout and any player goes through one on one, the entire team shouts "keeper come out!"

UncleBob

Looks like he’s damned if he does or doesn’t by a lot of posters on here...
Christ.

There's not really anything unfair about getting stick for essentially leaving 70% of the goal wide open for Salah.

Henderson had a poor performance. Gets it badly wrong on Liverpools first, badly wrong on Liverpools third and looks rattled for their 4th. Heck, him crouching around for their second goal looks pretty bizarre as well.

Play him against Fulham, unless he exceeds expectations by a mile then bench him and bring back Dave for the remainder of the season

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
De Gea has always had his faults but he's proved many times in many years that he can 'win' you matches. I don't see that with Henderson.

MU655

I think you have to look at the impact on the team.

De Gea - 42% clean sheets - 1.2 goals conceded per game (34 games - 41 goals conceded & 14 clean sheets)

Henderson - 45% clean sheets - 0.76 goals conceded per game (25 games - 19 goals conceded & 12 clean sheets)

We conceded 10 in 12 in the Premier League with Henderson in goal. If you extrapolated that over the season, it would be 31 conceded. That would only be 2 more than City have conceded so far this season.

Henderson may not be as good at shot stopping as De Gea was (despite actually having the best save percentage in the Premier League), but you can tell that he does work well with the defence the majority of the time. This is shown by that stats, showing we concede 0.44 fewer goals per game than we do with De Gea. This would come to a difference of about 16-17 goals conceded over the course of a season.

Henderson makes up for the lack of reaction speed by cutting off chances beforehand.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's still pretty young, decision making and positioning comes with experience.

There's no coincidence goalkeepers are usually better once they get older. Yes he should have done better with the 3rd and 4th goals, but lets hope he learns from that and corrects it.

bsCallout

The Ben Foster interview on United Stand or whatever it is with Goldbridge was really interesting. Basically explaining how the idea of two GKs battling it out isn't beneficial and how he thought Deans had everything seeing him when they played against Sheffield Utd.

Foxbatt

Now they say United may sell him because of his attitude. He is a big time Charlie.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I'm assuming they're talking about this:
https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-man-united-star-henderson-listen-to-offers/

I haven't seen that reproduced anywhere remotely reputable. Only there and Football365. No names, quotes or sources.

Though his attitude is odd, I've never heard a player speak so boastfully as Henderson, it definitely seems more arrogance than confidence. He makes Joe Hart seem humble. I watched an interview with him a few weeks back where he was claiming to be the fastest and the strongest player at United, and he was "one million percent" certain he'll be England #1. He should probably reel it in a bit.

Still, as much as I'd like to see us have a #1 from the academy, I'm less and less sure it will be him.

Patchbeard

Anyone see the clip of him trying to sing on the radio, was :lol: bad but he seemed to be completely oblivious to the fact :nervous:

arthurka

It seems that DDG isn´t going anywhere and we will be stuck with him on 350k for years on end. I still think Henderson is the better of the two for the team, he isn´t perfect by any means.

izec

He has the mentality and talent to be top class. I think he should talk less for now and focus on getting No 1 here and for England, as both places are more or less up for grabs.

padzilla

Hipster
F365 and Football Insider are not the most credible of sources to say the least but Henderson hasn't exactly been setting the world alight and the jury is absolutely out on whether he is the right man to replace De Gea going forward.
He was pretty dodgy at times in all honesty, especially at home against Liverpool when he made a series of blunders and looked like another Ben Foster, a decent keeper who sadly isn't cut out for a side with aspirations of winning trophies.

bsCallout

I'm assuming they're talking about this:
https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-man-united-star-henderson-listen-to-offers/

I haven't seen that reproduced anywhere remotely reputable. Only there and Football365. No names, quotes or sources.

Though his attitude is odd, I've never heard a player speak so boastfully as Henderson, it definitely seems more arrogance than confidence. He makes Joe Hart seem humble. I watched an interview with him a few weeks back where he was claiming to be the fastest and the strongest player at United, and he was "one million percent" certain he'll be England #1. He should probably reel it in a bit.

Still, as much as I'd like to see us have a #1 from the academy, I'm less and less sure it will be him.
If they play for United I want them to have that confidence, especially the GK. You could be a great GK but if you haven't got the mentality you will flop here.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I'd be surprised if he wasn't our #1 next season.

That said, the reports on his attitude shouldn't just be dismissed out of hand as actually being a positive. A certain amount of confidence/arrogance can be a good thing but it definitely isn't always, as Paul Ince learned (or probably didn't learn, really).

In the case of Henderson the negative side of his confidence/arrogance has been noted both during his time here and during his time at Sheffield United. Even he has acknowledged that the way he speaks has probably held him back at times. Plus there were also reports that the club was less than pleased with the stories linking him to other clubs that emerged when he was dropped to the bench against Fulham, along with the stories that he was demanding to be #1 next season.

All these takes on his personality may ultimately prove to be irrelevant. But with him having actually proved so little in his career thus far, the idea that there may be negative sides to that arrogance should definitely be considered.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
If they play for United I want them to have that confidence, especially the GK. You could be a great GK but if you haven't got the mentality you will flop here.
Confidence is good, and I want him to have that, but every interview I've heard from him, it strays further into arrogance. Much better players than him speak with a bit more humility. I'd like to think he can be confident in his ability without speaking to the media like he's Zlatan. It's a bit iffy considering he's still a way off really making it for club and country.

Status
Not open for further replies.