Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
And the list of United players at Euro 2020 dwindles even more, I guess this is a good thing for us :lol:

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Lots of United players withdrawing from injury. First greenwood, then VDB and now Hendo.

GazTheLegend

Am I just being a bit nutty or does anyone else feel like Southgate has "lost" the squad, at least as far as the Manchester United contingent are concerned? I am personally extremely happy that Greenwood, Henderson and Wan Bissaka are getting a proper rest, but it seems a bit strange to me. Perhaps I'm talking shit, but the restriction of anything to do with Manchester United so far does strike me as odd.

El Zoido

Am I just being a bit nutty or does anyone else feel like Southgate has "lost" the squad, at least as far as the Manchester United contingent are concerned? I am personally extremely happy that Greenwood, Henderson and Wan Bissaka are getting a proper rest, but it seems a bit strange to me. Perhaps I'm talking shit, but the restriction of anything to do with Manchester United so far does strike me as odd.
It’s a bit odd. Greenwood is the strangest one for me, since he looked perfectly fit all season. It’s made me realise how little I actually care about England if United players aren’t involved.

stu_1992

Shame for him, but perhaps he wasn't going to play anyway, you never know though. It does feel a bit odd that we've had a few players pull out with injury already.

Spaghetti

Mom's
He doesn’t really have any business being at a major tournament anyway.

Southgate is doing a good job of resting our players. Rashford, Shaw, Sancho, Maguire, Greenwood, Lingard, Wan Bissaka and Henderson all overlooked for one reason or another. They could all be in the team under another manager.

El Zoido

Southgate is doing a good job of resting our players. Rashford, Shaw, Sancho, Maguire, Greenwood, Lingard, Wan Bissaka and Henderson all overlooked for one reason or another. They could all be in the team under another manager.
:devil:

tomaldinho1

Greenwood is the only strange one and Southgate seems to be holding the Iceland incident against him although magically absolving Foden of blame.

Probably the truth is United fans used to be spoiled with loads of England players but now, if we’re honest with ourselves, is there anyone outside of Maguire, Shaw and Rashford who should 100% be in the squad.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Greenwood is the only strange one and Southgate seems to be holding the Iceland incident against him although magically absolving Foden of blame.

Probably the truth is United fans used to be spoiled with loads of England players but now, if we’re honest with ourselves, is there anyone outside of Maguire, Shaw and Rashford who should 100% be in the squad.
I've got no time for Southgate. He threw a teenager like Mason under the bus to deflect from himself. Said a lot IMO. And, as you say, he's happily brought Foden back in from the cold.

I feel sorry for Henderson. However, fortunately he will have plenty of other chances at tournament football with England. God willing, under a new coach.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

Greenwood should be in the squad 100%.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

On the basis he's picked about 13 FBs (and played a RB as LB... over the LB from the PL team of the season), AWB should've had a shot.

But it's Southgate. Media have a blind spot re his ability... still living on that really rough run to the WC semis (and Euro 2016 loss to a supermarket seems to have been glossed over)

(Oops, edit)

saivet

I've got no time for Southgate. He threw a teenager like Mason under the bus to deflect from himself. Said a lot IMO. And, as you say, he's happily brought Foden back in from the cold.

I feel sorry for Henderson. However, fortunately he will have plenty of other chances at tournament football with England. God willing, under a new coach.
Greenwood's form didn't warrant a call up for the majority of the season. His end of season form was good and he made the larger squad, with rumours he was going to be part of the 26 man squad. If Greenwood was good throughout the season he would have been called up like Foden was.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I think he does considering the absolute dearth of English goalkeepers.

Shouldn't be anywhere near starting mind, though a lot of people on here think he's better then Pickford/good enough to be doing so... which I don't really get.

Greenwood's form didn't warrant a call up for the majority of the season. His end of season form was good and he made the larger squad, with rumours he was going to be part of the 26 man squad. If Greenwood was good throughout the season he would have been called up like Foden was.
Mason's form took a nosedive after his international manager blamed media nonsense about him for England failing to win a match.

I just don't understand how a coach who publicly hides behind a kid is someone anyone can buy into. But that's me. Showed how weak he was by picking four right backs. Happy to pick on the kids but will never go after the stars. Says a lot.

Shouldn't be anywhere near starting mind, though a lot of people on here think he's better then Pickford/good enough to be doing so... which I don't really get.
I think that's mostly cos Pickford is average. Every so often he finds his inner Shay Given and becomes a shot stopper extraordinaire. However, there's nothing elite about Pickford.

I agree with you Pickford is better than Henderson. However, I don't think the gap is that big. I think Nick Pope is better than Pickford and I don't think there's much in it between Sam Johnstone and Pickford.

England has a lot of B level goalies, without any clear A level keepers. I think that's what keeps Henderson in the conversation. Especially when he's had a few good games.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I thought Greenwood pulled out of the extended Euro squad with an underlying injury?

8thWonder

Mason's form took a nosedive after his international manager blamed media nonsense about him for England failing to win a match.

I just don't understand how a coach who publicly hides behind a kid is someone anyone can buy into. But that's me. Showed how weak he was by picking four right backs. Happy to pick on the kids but will never go after the stars. Says a lot.
That's absolute nonsense. Southgate was right to punish Foden and Greenwood. And he was right to open the doors for them again.

Greenwood wasn't playing well when the next set of internationals came around so didn't get picked and then was flying by the end of the season and was. Simple as that.

As for the press conference, the issue wasn't that he did a press conference, it was that he did a presser just as Maguire was in trouble, that was a mistake certainly. But pick on kids? That's a really weird claim. Are you saying they shouldn't have been punished?

And the 4 right backs, turns out that he's picked 3 left backs and 3 right backs so maybe not all that strange and weak(?).

I think Southgate is doing a really good job with England to be honest and other than the decision to keep Greenwood in the presser (which I just think was an oversight), you can clearly see why he makes every decision he does...

Spaghetti

Mom's

I meant in general, rather than the fact that England suffering from a lack of good goalies.

Ramsdale is a worrying one from an England perspective; can you get relegated from the Euros?

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
The key thing (for me) is a lot of our players are not getting overly used through the summer.

Some not picked, two left (DvdB), Shaw dropped/rested, Rashford a sub and DDG not played yet.

I was a bit concerned of overuse so I'm all for United players getting a break.

Apart from James. Play the lot and score, you little whippet.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Ramsdale is in the squad. Really that´s the best they could do ?
Tbf to him he's got better throughout the season and really he's not bad for a 5th choice. Who would Spain's 5th choice keeper be for example? Kepa is their 4th choice so...

CG1010

That's already 30% of outfield team, and I think Greenwood should definitely be a super sub given his form. But I understand about Maguire and Rashford who have injury issues. Shaw's omission is genuinely suprising.

tomaldinho1

That's already 30% of outfield team, and I think Greenwood should definitely be a super sub given his form. But I understand about Maguire and Rashford who have injury issues. Shaw's omission is genuinely suprising.
Yeah I agree. Shaw one is weird because I would understand (though not agree) had Chilwell got the nod but Trippier was a weird choice. We won without playing particularly well and I feel Phillips having a great game and essentially us not losing has masked over the fact we didn't really create anything against a quite average team. The next couple of games won't tell us much but I do think Grealish has to play instead of one of Foden/Sterling - he's the one player who can make things happen on his own and can also supply Kane far better than either of the other two.

8thWonder

Yeah I agree. Shaw one is weird because I would understand (though not agree) had Chilwell got the nod but Trippier was a weird choice. We won without playing particularly well and I feel Phillips having a great game and essentially us not losing has masked over the fact we didn't really create anything against a quite average team. The next couple of games won't tell us much but I do think Grealish has to play instead of one of Foden/Sterling - he's the one player who can make things happen on his own and can also supply Kane far better than either of the other two.
I think Shaw and Grealish will be given chances in the next two games. If they play well they'll have a chance to play in the knockout games but I think he genuinely believes Trippier to be the better defender, and Shaw is new to the England set up, so theres years of trust built up as well with Trippier which shouldn't be overlooked.

The front three, for balance i think it's between Rashford and Sterling and Foden/Sancho/Grealish for the other spot. Despite being the two out of club form, they are the best at running in behind and opening space up for others. It's a problem for Grealish because they both play better on the left as well...

I think you're doing Croatia a bit of a disservice to be honest. Good international side, lacking a cutting edge and pace, but full of experience and know how to manage games and they never looked dangerous in hindsight, interesting to see how they get on in their other two games.

Tom Van Persie

No relation

He does. England aren't spoilt for choice at GK.

tomaldinho1

I think Shaw and Grealish will be given chances in the next two games. If they play well they'll have a chance to play in the knockout games but I think he genuinely believes Trippier to be the better defender, and Shaw is new to the England set up, so theres years of trust built up as well with Trippier which shouldn't be overlooked.

The front three, for balance i think it's between Rashford and Sterling and Foden/Sancho/Grealish for the other spot. Despite being the two out of club form, they are the best at running in behind and opening space up for others. It's a problem for Grealish because they both play better on the left as well...

I think you're doing Croatia a bit of a disservice to be honest. Good international side, lacking a cutting edge and pace, but full of experience and know how to manage games and they never looked dangerous in hindsight, interesting to see how they get on in their other two games.
I don't think it's a disservice when I look at their team. I expect them to beat Scotland and Czech Republic but, and maybe some resident Croatian caf member can correct me, but there's a definite feel of them needing to refresh quite aggressively. Mandzukic, Subasic, Corluka, Strinic retired, Modric is 35, Perisic is 32, Rakitic is 33 (and was injured anyway), Lovren 31 (injured)... they had a great generation that punched massively above their weight as a country which is reflected in a World Cup final in 2018 but I can't see them having the firepower to beat any of the top teams any more.

Dante

Average bang
I don't think this particularly helps or hinders United.

Henderson plays in the least physically demanding position on the pitch. And he only played half a season at that.

If anything, I think it would have helped him to get a bit more big game experience in a meaningless international competition. Oh, well.

Status
Not open for further replies.