Position: Goalkeeper
Foot: Right
Player Agent: Stellar Football Ltd
Squad Number: TBD
Contract until: 30.06.2022​

Last edited:

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Champions League goalkeeper or what do we reckon?

I really thought there was no way Henderson and De Gea would co-exist in the same squad. Looks likely now and I don't think Henderson would come back if he didn't have some sort of promises around appearances, seems too determined and ambitious to just come back and sit on the bench.

Bwuk

I’d be extremely disappointed if we’ve brought him back to sit on the bench.

Either another loan to someone else, or play him. If we are to loan him would like to see if a CL team abroad would take him on loan for a year.

Plus, he’ll surely want to play as he’s a outside shout for England keeper at the Euros.

Litch

No doubt he's coming back to compete for the number 1 shirt. DG needs genuine competition as his standards have consistently dropped.

Mcking

No doubt he's coming back to compete for the number 1 shirt. DG needs genuine competition as his standards have consistently dropped.
I don't really see how this is going to work. How is it going to be a competition when there will most likely be a clear favouritism and bias towards De Gea.

If we want to invest on Henderson, then we should be looking to get rid of De Gea. Having two goalkeepers compete for one position is a waste of everyone's time.

Adamsk7

Think it will be good for the club to have him and De Gea fighting it out. If De Gea wins the battle, we know we’ve got him back to his best. If Henderson does, we’ve got a new starting GK for the next 10+ yrs again. The only problem we’ll have is that Romero will probably leave (surely won’t want to be THIRD choice) and then which ever one of DDG or Hendo gets relegated to the bench will then want to move next season, leaving our previously brilliant GK dept being a rather poor one

cyberman

I don't really see how this is going to work. How is it going to be a competition when there will most likely be a clear favouritism and bias towards De Gea.

If we want to invest on Henderson, then we should be looking to get rid of De Gea. Having two goalkeepers compete for one position is a waste of everyone's time.
He isnt coming back by accident. Ole wants him back for a reason.
If DDG flops he will have to fight to get back his place. Competition cant be a bad thing when we are watching David chuck them in every other game.
How thats a waste of tine i do not know

Litch

This is why Utd can never win. How do we improve the squad without competition in every position? Im sure reassurances have been given to Dean otherwise he would sign and new contract. If Dave believes he is the best, it's going to be based on his performances and not history. I think it's clear that Dean is seen as the future and Dave needs to prove it's not next season.....

Smores

I do hope if he's staying we've promised him certain games. It would seem a sensible approach but the fact Romero didn't get to keep his usual games makes me think De Gea will always be favoured.

Idxomer

They should do the same as Barcelona in 14/15 when Bravo started the league games and Ter Stegen the CL and Copa del Ray.

Mcking

He isnt coming back by accident. Ole wants him back for a reason.
If DDG flops he will have to fight to get back his place. Competition cant be a bad thing when we are watching David chuck them in every other game.
How thats a waste of tine i do not know
Because De Gea isn't really going to 'flop'. Unless De Gea is throwing them in every game, Henderson doesn't stand a chance of establishing himself. One error here and there isn't going to cut it, it takes much more than that to displace an established starting goalkeeper. Unless the plan is to make Henderson first choice ASAP regardless of what De Gea does, then it's a waste of time.
This is why Utd can never win. How do we improve the squad without competition in every position? Im sure reassurances have been given to Dean otherwise he would sign and new contract. If Dave believes he is the best, it's going to be based on his performances and not history. I think it's clear that Dean is seen as the future and Dave needs to prove it's not next season.....
Competition isn't for the goal keeping position. You have a No.1 and the other who is considered a backup. De Gea most likely is going to start the the first game of the season, and he will always have the advantage over Henderson barring a spectacular nosedive in form.

It would most likely be just like the De Gea-Romero situation. One doing well in the cups and the one in possession doing just about enough to retain the gloves for the games that matter. It's no competition, unless we decide to rotate goalkeepers which is fair, but with the potential to backfire.

cyberman

If this Henderson were about during DDG bad run of form, he would have played.
Ole is bringing him back for a reason.

Litch

Because De Gea isn't really going to 'flop'. Unless De Gea is throwing them in every game, Henderson doesn't stand a chance of establishing himself. One error here and there isn't going to cut it, it takes much more than that to displace an established starting goalkeeper. Unless the plan is to make Henderson first choice ASAP regardless of what De Gea does, then it's a waste of time.

Competition isn't for the goal keeping position. You have a No.1 and the other who is considered a backup. De Gea most likely is going to start the the first game of the season, and he will always have the advantage over Henderson barring a spectacular nosedive in form.

It would most likely be just like the De Gea-Romero situation. One doing well in the cups and the one in possession doing just about enough to retain the gloves for the games that matter. It's no competition, unless we decide to rotate goalkeepers which is fair, but with the potential to backfire.
Nonsense. So what would happen if DG broke his hand and you had an inexperienced GK on the bench? What happens if DG has a complete lack of form like any other position? Throwing them in, it's arguably that we didn't get CL the season before for than season and at times was almost the same this season.
DG hasn't had any competition and this amounts to complacency in any proffered sport.
Again like many fans about Utd, let's look at it positively than negative - it's a win/win. DG gets genuine competition which can only be good, Dean gets to be an understudy to learn and we like in other positions are building for the future.

Mcking

Nonsense. So what would happen if DG broke his hand and you had an inexperienced GK on the bench? What happens if DG has a complete lack of form like any other position? Throwing them in, it's arguably that we didn't get CL the season before for than season and at times was almost the same this season.
DG hasn't had any competition and this amounts to complacency in any proffered sport.
Again like many fans about Utd, let's look at it positively than negative - it's a win/win. DG gets genuine competition which can only be good, Dean gets to be an understudy to learn and we like in other positions are building for the future.
What if De Gea doesn't break his hand or has a complete loss of form? That is why you have a Romero as a second goalkeeper and not a Henderson.

De Gea has missed 10 Premier League games in the last seven seasons. That is 10 out of 266 games, and about five of those ten were under LVG before he signed that contract. Why do you think his hands are suddenly going to start breaking?

Unless the plan is to get Henderson in as No 1 ASAP, then there will be no competition. It would just be one goalkeeper starting the occasional cup games and the other doing just about enough to start every other game, with everyone pretending like they are competing. It's no competition when there will be a clear favouritism towards one.

If we aren't going to make Henderson No 1, then we should find him a club.

Bondi77

The only similar situation I remember is the Cech Cortois situation at Chelsea but I think Cortois was a bit in front of where Dean is at the moment and Cech was a bit older than David is.
I think David will start and Dean will do the Cup games but if David stuffs up Ole will bring in Dean for the League games and then he will take it from there.

Litch

What if De Gea doesn't break his hand or has a complete loss of form? That is why you have a Romero as a second goalkeeper and not a Henderson.

De Gea has missed 10 Premier League games in the last seven seasons. That is 10 out of 266 games, and about five of those ten were under LVG before he signed that contract. Why do you think his hands are suddenly going to start breaking?

Unless the plan is to get Henderson in as No 1 ASAP, then there will be no competition. It would just be one goalkeeper starting the occasional cup games and the other doing just about enough to start every other game, with everyone pretending like they are competing. It's no competition when there will be a clear favouritism towards one.

If we aren't going to make Henderson No 1, then we should find him a club.
Wasn't meaning literally, just injuries can happen. Maybe not coming off his line to catch the ball means less chance of being injured? I guess if he comes back, their clearly is a plan. There is absolutely no denying the fall off of DDG for nearly two seasons now of which has cost us despite how well we have done defensively this season. Now you can either wait and hopefully he can find his form or you can do something about it. Clearly that is not going to be a Romero so given we have one of the best young keepers in the country, why would you sell him? You could argue the same about buying a CB, if Lindelof and Harry are our chosen pairing, the CB would be exactly in the same position waiting for their opportunity. Competition is the person starts it is for them to secure that position, favouritism is irrespective of form, they start anyway. Henderson must have been given assurances that should their be any drop in DDG's form, he'll get his chance. If you believe in your ability, wouldn't you sooner want to prove you have the ability than sign for Sheffield et al. If Chelsea can drop a keeper they paid 70m for, we can't we?

Mcking

Wasn't meaning literally, just injuries can happen. Maybe not coming off his line to catch the ball means less chance of being injured? I guess if he comes back, their clearly is a plan. There is absolutely no denying the fall off of DDG for nearly two seasons now of which has cost us despite how well we have done defensively this season. Now you can either wait and hopefully he can find his form or you can do something about it. Clearly that is not going to be a Romero so given we have one of the best young keepers in the country, why would you sell him? You could argue the same about buying a CB, if Lindelof and Harry are our chosen pairing, the CB would be exactly in the same position waiting for their opportunity. Competition is the person starts it is for them to secure that position, favouritism is irrespective of form, they start anyway. Henderson must have been given assurances that should their be any drop in DDG's form, he'll get his chance. If you believe in your ability, wouldn't you sooner want to prove you have the ability than sign for Sheffield et al. If Chelsea can drop a keeper they paid 70m for, we can't we?
Anyway, we wait and see. It would be a shame though if this plays out exactly as I'd expect it to.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Only way I could foresee them competing for a spot is if De Gea got all the PL games and Henderson got all the cups, can’t see either wanting to miss out on CL or PL football though.

cyberman

Only way I could foresee them competing for a spot is if De Gea got all the PL games and Henderson got all the cups, can’t see either wanting to miss out on CL or PL football though.
I see David playing at the beginning of the season to bed Dean into the squad then Dean keeping David out as the season goes on.
If David underperforms and doesn't like that, then leave.

Jibbs

One of De Gea and Henderson needs to be sold. If by selling Henderson we can improve the overall squad now. Than we should seriously consider it.
If the combined sales of Henderson plus all other unwanted players reach 90 to 100 m... it can be amazing business and make the required funds available to make 2,3 critical signings like Sancho, CM, CB etc

Litch

Anyway, we wait and see. It would be a shame though if this plays out exactly as I'd expect it to.
Short term maybe but in the long term maybe not. Like you said, let's wait and see

Nickelodeon

I genuinely think that if someone offers us crazy money for Henderson, we should take it and invest in the squad. I don’t think we’re replacing De Gea completely this season and we’re too light in other areas of the squad to have a 40+ million, 100k a week second choice GK.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Is this guy genuinely good or...? Haven't watched much of Sheffield this season.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
My guess is we'll look to do something similar as Barca did with Bravo and ter Stegen. De Gea start the league games, Henderson starts everything else. If one of them completely fails then the other will just take his games and become undisputed first choice.

Alternatively, once the games are coming thick and fast (which will probably be most of the season) we'll let each of them play one game a week no matter what the competitions are.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Is this guy genuinely good or...? Haven't watched much of Sheffield this season.
Yes he is genuinely good or at least has been this season.

He still like any GK has mistakes in him and he isn’t a ball playing GK.

He should develop into a very good GK and one day hopefully replace De Gea.

I’m not confident he’ll do it soon though as the pressure of playing in goal for United is not to be underestimated.

Give him 2/3 years don’t expect it of him next year.

diarm

Can see him being number 1 by November 1st. De Gea hasn't been able to cope with the pressure of a couple of mistakes without anyone breathing down his neck. With Henderson here and a new 6 year contract in his back pocket, I can unfortunately see Dave crumbling early on this season.

It's a shame because he was our best player for a long time, but there's no room for sentiment at this level. If he was an outfield player putting in the level of performances we've seen from him over the last couple of years it wouldn't even be up for debate.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

Henderson said: “With Man United, David De Gea has obviously been a great goalkeeper first and foremost for many years. He's been phenomenal and that's something I aspire to be, to have a career like him at the club. So I'll be going back in first day of the pre-season working my socks off to get in that starting line-up because it's something I've always wanted.

“I'm so close now so I'm not going to give up. I'm going to put the pressure on. I respect David. He’s been a phenomenal servant for the football club and if not one of the best in the recent years. It's down to me. I know what challenges are going to be ahead. I’m well up for it.”

“You can get many things from training, and obviously learn off someone like David himself and the other goalkeepers, goalkeeper coaches. But I don't think there's any substitute for game-time, in my opinion. I went out from Man United five years ago, started at Stockport, Grimsby, Shrewsbury and then Sheffield which shows how much I've learned. Out on my own, picking up experiences that happen in games. They’re situations that you don't really get in training. I’m under no illusions that I'm going to improve just sat on the bench. I need that game-time.”

“I said at 23 I'll go back [to Manchester United] and that'll be my time. I remember [saying that] sitting in the interview room at Grimsby so I knew what I needed to do. I knew what I needed to tick off before I got there. I’ve done that and hope I can keep doing that and obviously get to where I want to be.”

edcunited1878

He'll get his chance and he shouldn't be discouraged if it's not much this year. Unless DDG makes glaring errors and clangers, then he should still be between the sticks. I do believe there should be some rotation in the league and obviously domestic cup competitions are Henderson's matches, maybe at least one or two CL matches.

Skeezix

Disclaimer : As with most football clips/compilations on youtube, the audio music choice might be annoying to some.

A good watch, which obviously ignores the mistakes and clangers; but still, these are some breathtaking saves from his previous season at Sheffield United.

Some positive aspects to his game:
  • His positioning is underrated. Most of the time, he is in the right position without the need to scramble.
  • One-on-One - seems to be doing fine. He made many saves with his outstretched legs (like prime Dave and Neuer)
  • He is not hesitant off the line (which I wished DDG would do more often).
  • Even made a penalty save!! (when did we last see that from Big Dave?)
  • Seems to have good attitude and focused (from his recent interviews) on what he wants from his career and United.
There are some obvious flaws to his game :
  • Very often, his saves end right back into the penalty box which is very dangerous if more than 1 attackers are in the box. He needs to parry away the ball for a corner or into less dangerous areas. Needs definite improvement in that regard (could learn a lot from Big Dave in that regard)
  • As discussed by Sheffield United fans, his short passes and distribution are also not up to the mark yet. This can be improved with coaching. (DDG also improved a lot since 2013)
I'm glad he signed a new contract, and ready to fight it out with DDG. Seems like a proper player we have here. The raw talent is there.

Status
Not open for further replies.