Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
If he gets the CL game against PSG then I don't think it'll have been a bad decision. He'd have been daft to stay if he hadn't been promised every cup game this season. He probably didn't count on De Gea not making any mistakes based on his form of the last few years.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I can't see him starting against PSG. He's our second choice goalkeeper and that's one of our priority competitions.

How Henderson fared this season was always going to depend on De Gea. If De Gea is in form, Henderson is going to have a hard time displacing him. That was the risk in coming back to compete.

Untd55

Think this is only a short term issue for him though. Nothing drastic, although it will be hard for him to miss out on being England's number one next summer. Either he forces his way past De Gea this season, or he's gone in my opinion. He's very ambitious and will not settle for this situation long term. Obviously contractually the club are under no obligation to sell, but I can't see him sticking around.
True, but he has put himself in a bit of a difficult position with the new contract. In the end, if he doesn't get enough time here, the power is completely in the club's hands as to whether he stays, goes out on loan, or is sold. The wages also don't help with this. Also, we seem to have an issue with selling players.

I think he made a mistake signing the contract at the same time as becoming second fiddle, but it would be very hard to turn down £100k a week; I know I wouldn't.

Red_toad

I can't see him starting against PSG. He's our second choice goalkeeper and that's one of our priority competitions.

How Henderson fared this season was always going to depend on De Gea. If De Gea is in form, Henderson is going to have a hard time displacing him. That was the risk in coming back to compete.
Dave is now very erratic, he can be excellent, then the next minute make an horrendous error. Henderson commands his area better and has better distribution, Dave has been on a downward trajectory over the last few seasons, keepers generally don't improve once that begins. I've no idea what caused it as he should be in his prime right now, Casillas was slightly older than Dave when his performances began to slip and hes' a very similar style of keeper.

Red_toad

True, but he has put himself in a bit of a difficult position with the new contract. In the end, if he doesn't get enough time here, the power is completely in the club's hands as to whether he stays, goes out on loan, or is sold. The wages also don't help with this. Also, we seem to have an issue with selling players.

I think he made a mistake signing the contract at the same time as becoming second fiddle, but it would be very hard to turn down £100k a week; I know I wouldn't.
$100k a week and the chance to prove yourself better than a rival, at the club you support, a mistake? I'd say he believes in his own ability and will probably be very aware how Dave has dropped off over the last 3 years. I know I'd certainly fancy my chances if I were in his boots.

If he gets the CL game against PSG then I don't think it'll have been a bad decision. He'd have been daft to stay if he hadn't been promised every cup game this season. He probably didn't count on De Gea not making any mistakes based on his form of the last few years.
why On earth would anyone think he’s going to start against PSG. There’s a world of difference playing against Luton to a CL finalist.

To not play your No 1 keeper in this game would be insanity.

there’s no way that the manager or anyone at the club promises him CL games

Revan

Assumptionman
He should have gone in loan again, or ask for a permanent transfer. He is not better than the current version of De Gea, let alone a peak De Gea (which I still have hope will happen).

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
why On earth would anyone think he’s going to start against PSG. There’s a world of difference playing against Luton to a CL finalist.

To not play your No 1 keeper in this game would be insanity.

there’s no way that the manager or anyone at the club promises him CL games
Some articles early on mentioned we'd be looking to integrate him into the fold like Barcelona did with Ter Stegen. That meant Bravo got the league games and Ter Stegen got all the cup games. I'd find it incredibly poor from both the club and player if we expected someone we consider our future number 1 to get his development purely from League Cup games, if that's how we plan to do it we should just sell him.

Some articles early on mentioned we'd be looking to integrate him into the fold like Barcelona did with Ter Stegen. That meant Bravo got the league games and Ter Stegen got all the cup games. I'd find it incredibly poor from both the club and player if we expected someone we consider our future number 1 to get his development purely from League Cup games, if that's how we plan to do it we should just sell him.
and maybe will play him in other CL games, but in the biggest game of the group, away to PSG when he’s only made 2 appearances for the club is not the time to be throwing him in.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
and maybe will play him in other CL games, but in the biggest game of the group, away to PSG when he’s only made 2 appearances for the club is not the time to be throwing him in.
Why? He's 23 and we're paying him over 100k, he's more than capable of playing against PSG. He's not an 18 year old with no experience.

Why? He's 23 and we're paying him over 100k, he's more than capable of playing against PSG. He's not an 18 year old with no experience.
we are playing the CL finalists away from home, and he’s only ever played twice for the club, and most importantly is not our no 1keeper.

I’m a fan of his, but it’s ridiculous to suggest he should be playing in this match.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
we are playing the CL finalists away from home, and he’s only ever played twice for the club, and most importantly is not our no 1keeper.

I’m a fan of his, but it’s ridiculous to suggest he should be playing in this match.
It's not like there are fans away, home or away doesn't make much difference right now. He's not our no 1, no, but as @AltiUn says what would be the point of him back coming here and paying him that wage if he's only going to play league cup, FA cup and the two Basaksehir legs.

You can constantly make excuses why he shouldn't play because we have de gea, but if you actually want him to play and be successful here, he has to play a proper part in our season.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I've got no problem with De gea as a player but I'm just tired of having a non box owning type of goal keeper for nearly a decade.

I really cant wait for Henderson whether he ends up failing or not.

It's not like there are fans away, home or away doesn't make much difference right now. He's not our no 1, no, but as @AltiUn says what would be the point of him back coming here and paying him that wage if he's only going to play league cup, FA cup and the two Basaksehir legs.

You can constantly make excuses why he shouldn't play because we have de gea, but if you actually want him to play and be successful here, he has to play a proper part in our season.
away games do make a difference. Just not as much. It’s not making excuses. He’s the no 2 goalkeeper, and he will need to have some patience.

I want him to be successful, but throwing him in to this game would be a very bad decision.

it’s such a moot conversation anyway. the manager is clearly not going to play him unless DDG is injured, and rightly so.

arthurka

Think this is only a short term issue for him though. Nothing drastic, although it will be hard for him to miss out on being England's number one next summer. Either he forces his way past De Gea this season, or he's gone in my opinion. He's very ambitious and will not settle for this situation long term. Obviously contractually the club are under no obligation to sell, but I can't see him sticking around.
He won't be here long if he can't get gametime. He will take over I think DDG being shaky has become a norm these days.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
away games do make a difference. Just not as much. It’s not making excuses. He’s the no 2 goalkeeper, and he will need to have some patience.

I want him to be successful, but throwing him in to this game would be a very bad decision.

it’s such a moot conversation anyway. the manager is clearly not going to play him unless DDG is injured, and rightly so.
He's not your typical no 2 though. Between him and De Gea, were spending close to 500k a week in wages. If he actually is there to step in just in non important cup games, it's a fecking monumentally stupid move to pay them both that amount of money.

I don't really understand what you mean by throwing him into this game. They're not going to be bombarding him with crosses and piling in on him, it will just be doing what he'd have to be doing against any other team. It's not a cup final either, the only goal of this game - even in the fergie era, is to not lose.

We will see anyway, you might be right, but I can't see how he'd be happy to do that after playing a full season in the prem.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I expect him to start. Henderson in the cups De Gea in the PL. They might switch as some point.

He's not your typical no 2 though. Between him and De Gea, were spending close to 500k a week in wages. If he actually is there to step in just in non important cup games, it's a fecking monumentally stupid move to pay them both that amount of money.

I don't really understand what you mean by throwing him into this game. They're not going to be bombarding him with crosses and piling in on him, it will just be doing what he'd have to be doing against any other team. It's not a cup final either, the only goal of this game - even in the fergie era, is to not lose.

We will see anyway, you might be right, but I can't see how he'd be happy to do that after playing a full season in the prem.
I don’t quite get your obsession with what he gets paid. You could then argue that because DDG gets paid more than him, he should start? I don’t, because that’s a pointless metric.

In a difficult group, you are going to play your best team. Whether you like it or not, DDG is our no 1 at the moment.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I don’t quite get your obsession with what he gets paid. You could then argue that because DDG gets paid more than him, he should start? I don’t, because that’s a pointless metric.

In a difficult group, you are going to play your best team. Whether you like it or not, DDG is our no 1 at the moment.
My point is about having a plan for him if we are paying him that much. If our plan is to try and let him show he's better than de gea by playing shite teams, whilst paying him a absolute packet, it seems a gross waste of our money and his and our time.

My point is about having a plan for him if we are paying him that much. If our plan is to try and let him show he's better than de gea by playing shite teams, whilst paying him a absolute packet, it seems a gross waste of our money and his and our time.
I’m sure we do have a plan for him. Given Henderson’s confidence in his ability, he wouldn’t have signed without one. That does mean that we should know what that is, and I doubt it involves him playing in our biggest game of the season so far.

he will need to be patient, and so will the fans.

TrustInOle

I agree with your sentiment that we should look to follow Barca's progression from keeper to keeper. I wouldn't be against him being our CL keeper, but first game of the tournament against possibly the second best team in Europe, could end up having more adverse affects than positive, depending on how the game goes, plus we would want to get the best possible result in our hardest game, so for this, I would be happy to stick with DDG then Henderson picks up the baton for the remaining 5.

Yes, it could be a risk, either keeper we play, but I wouldn't want to stick this pressure on the lad, he is still vastly inexperienced in this level (CL) and a mauling is the last thing he would want.

On the other hand, I can see why some would think a game like this 'could' be the making of him, but I don't think it is a risk we would be willing to try just yet, not with how we started the season. Just my 2 cents.

Mo Caine

Supports
United from 1977 until 2007
Can't help but think he has made a bad decision choosing to be our second-team goalkeeper for this season. I know he is being paid £100k a week, so that eases the pain of not playing, but is he actually going to displace De Gea? No chance this season, and I doubt he will the next either. The goalkeeper has to give a massive reason to be dropped in favour of the number 2, you see it all the time how managers persist with them.

He was arguably in contention for being England goalkeeper, but that has completely gone now he doesn't play. He will play a cup game every so often, but that isn't enough. You know he will be displaced by De Gea if we ever get anywhere, just like Solskjaer did in the FA Cup last season.

i think career wise, he may have made a mistake
I'm not so sure, 6 figure wage at biggest club in the country, so a decent season as a #2, puts him in a better shop window than first choice at Sheffield United in my opinion, i would reckon his value would be higher too than if he remained in Yorkshire, seems to be highly thought of in the Caf, i'd certainly like to have him in the squad, but he's Ben Foster 2.0 as far as i'm concerned, and nothing more than that.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I’m sure we do have a plan for him. Given Henderson’s confidence in his ability, he wouldn’t have signed without one. That does mean that we should know what that is, and I doubt it involves him playing in our biggest game of the season so far.

he will need to be patient, and so will the fans.
Yeah, my point if he doesn't play this game, there's no way he plays the home game or either Leipzig game. All equally as important and he's not going to get ready for these games in the future by playing in the FA or league cup.

I agree with your sentiment that we should look to follow Barca's progression from keeper to keeper. I wouldn't be against him being our CL keeper, but first game of the tournament against possibly the second best team in Europe, could end up having more adverse affects than positive, depending on how the game goes, plus we would want to get the best possible result in our hardest game, so for this, I would be happy to stick with DDG then Henderson picks up the baton for the remaining 5.

Yes, it could be a risk, either keeper we play, but I wouldn't want to stick this pressure on the lad, he is still vastly inexperienced in this level (CL) and a mauling is the last thing he would want.

On the other hand, I can see why some would think a game like this 'could' be the making of him, but I don't think it is a risk we would be willing to try just yet, not with how we started the season. Just my 2 cents.
I totally get the cautious nature because it's PSG, but I just don't see why we're scared he is going to just turn shite because he's playing a top team. We don't really have much faith in him if at 23 if we think it's too much pressure to be our no 1 and why if we potentially lose is Dean likely to be the issue? This game isn't group defining anyway, I think the home game and the Leipzig games are far more important. Also when do we decide he's ready to play in this sort of game? How's he going to be able to show he's ready?

TrustInOle

Yeah, my point if he doesn't play this game, there's no way he plays the home game or either Leipzig game. All equally as important and he's not going to get ready for these games in the future by playing in the FA or league cup.

I totally get the cautious nature because it's PSG, but I just don't see why we're scared he is going to just turn shite because he's playing a top team. We don't really have much faith in him if at 23 if we think it's too much pressure to be our no 1 and why if we potentially lose is Dean likely to be the issue? This game isn't group defining anyway, I think the home game and the Leipzig games are far more important. Also when do we decide he's ready to play in this sort of game? How's he going to be able to show he's ready?
Valid questions, and I don't necessarily think us being on the wrong end of a hiding can be down to Dean just having a bad game or not, but the implications of such a result could still have an adverse affect on confidence. PSG away is the game I'd expect a bad result out of our other games, hence the stance to keep DDG. We are only 6 games into he season, plenty of opportunity left for him to prove himself.

If he does get the nod, he will definatley have my full backing, and no doubt the whole fan base, I just think it's a transition that we have to be smart about. Replacing keepers has always been a challenge for us, with DDG being the exception.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Valid questions, and I don't necessarily think us being on the wrong end of a hiding can be down to Dean just having a bad game or not, but the implications of such a result could still have an adverse affect on confidence. PSG away is the game I'd expect a bad result out of our other games, hence the stance to keep DDG. We are only 6 games into he season, plenty of opportunity left for him to prove himself.

If he does get the nod, he will definatley have my full backing, and no doubt the whole fan base, I just think it's a transition that we have to be smart about. Replacing keepers has always been a challenge for us, with DDG being the exception.
Yeah, I just worry if we keep being cautious, he's going to have wasted a year he of development he could have had out on loan or just at another club. Let's not forget Chelsea would have happily made him their number one if they could have, they would have played him in the CL.

TrustInOle

Yeah, I just worry if we keep being cautious, he's going to have wasted a year he of development he could have had out on loan or just at another club. Let's not forget Chelsea would have happily made him their number one if they could have, they would have played him in the CL.
Very fine point, something I also thought about, kinda hope SU got Europa League last year so he could have one more development year whilst transversing Europe. I'm not too worried as I am a huge fan of his and believe he will take the spot for his own before the year is out.

Heck, for all my caution, he could be listed for PSG and have a storming game, giving Ole a much needed headache. Also got a lot of love for DdG, but seems his career could be taking a Casillas kinda turn right now.

One thing is certain, everyone from fans to coaching Staff seem to have alot of faith in Dean's future.

Swiss_Red89

Hope Henderson starts vs PSG. De Gea looked bad again for the Newcastle goal imo. I know its debatable but it was my impression.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Hope Henderson starts vs PSG. De Gea looked bad again for the Newcastle goal imo. I know its debatable but it was my impression.
He made an absolutely top class save which if he had not we probably lose the game. Dont think there is much he could have done on that deflection

Last edited:

Swiss_Red89

He mad an absolutlely top class save which if he had not we probably lose the game. Dont think there is much he could have done on that deflection
The Wilson save was absolut top class i agree. One for the "Dave Saves all time highlights". But i still think a goalkeeper of his calibre should have done better for the newcastle goal. As i said it's debatable.

Anyway, i hope Henderson is given the chance to show how good he is in the Champions League. We will soon find out what promises Dean has received before he signed the contract.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Henderson isn't starting any CL games, stop with this nonsense.

Wazza4Gaffa

With how unstable our defence has looked, changing the goalkeeper may cause more problems than it may fix in a big game vs PSG. Nevertheless the two UCL group games vs the team from Istanbul are both games I would like to see him start as he is too good to resign to playing only cup games so any extra games we can have him involved in are welcome. He is our ideal keeper for the future, but if he is not satisfied with gametime, we will lose him and before you know it De Gea will have declined further and we will have GK problems again.

SATA

I don’t like him sitting on the bench and learning nothing while he’s still at a developing age. If domestic cup games are the games he is only gonna get, he won’t be playing much here. Dave is a cert starter for the Prem and CL. He should really be signing the 100K per week contract and then go on loan again to Sheffield

littlepeasoup

When you're wrong footed, it's basically impossible to make a save like that. He can't anticipate both an incoming cross and and fluke deflection at the same time. Weird stick to beat him with, but okay.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I don’t like him sitting on the bench and learning nothing while he’s still at a developing age. If domestic cup games are the games he is only gonna get, he won’t be playing much here. Dave is a cert starter for the Prem and CL. He should really be signing the 100K per week contract and then go on loan again to Sheffield
We gave him a massive contract to retain his value and probably to reassure him that De Gea is replaceable. Just that, this season De Gea has hardly put a foot wrong.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I think Henderson will leave in the summer, I think Ole won't give him the chances that he has probably promised Henderson and he will request a transfer.

He isn't going to be happy with only playing the FA Cup and League Cup games, which will be a max of 10 games.

For the wage he is on, Ole should be starting one of Henderson or DDG in the PL and the other in the CL.

Henderson has only played the LC game so far, DDG has played every PL game and has started tonight. Why give someone this wage and not send them back on loan if you aren't going to give him shared playing time.

Status
Not open for further replies.