Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Definitely (mainly) at fault for both goals IMO.

First one - should have passed it first-time to Matic, taking a touch there is always disastrous. I will mention Maguire as captain needs to be more responsible there though, ideally turn and play it out-wide to Telles, or if you're going to play it back be less casual about it and play it to Henderson's right and tell him to punt it - he played it straight in to his feet and the young 'keeper takes a touch to try and open up his body so he can play it out.

Second one - should have committed and come for it as it was well within his 6-yard box. He started and then changed his mind and by the time the ball had ricocheted off McGoldrick, he was backpedalling towards his line and therefore completely rooted to the spot. A mention here though - seemed like he was asking for somebody on the post, which would have led to that being cleared off the line if the defence had listened to him.

Good save at the end to preserve the 3 points, but overall a bad performance. As a previous poster said, unfortunately his flaws are exactly the same as De Gea's - lacks composure with the ball at his feet and doesn't appear to command his area very well. Doesn't really give you an 'alternative' option to De Gea per se as they are pretty much the same, it's really just a like-for-like swap IMO.

Great shot-stopper and still might be my pick for #1 for United based the fact that De Gea makes a lot of mistakes now in that regard letting in efforts he should save, but I fear that Henderson might never fix the aforementioned issues and therefore United long-term might need a 'new keeper who fits the modern mould.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You can talk about his mistake but I like what he did dealing with lot of opposition crosses. Strong enough to deal the aerial. Sheffield probably thought we would play DDG and they want to expose his weakness dealing with aerial in corner but not the case with Dean yesterday.

mancan92

Yeah he made a mistake but considering Dave made exactly the same mistake last season I'm willing to let it slide and give him time to see how he recovers.

mancan92

At fault for 2nd goal as well
Dave is an extremely experienced goal keeper obviously there's going to be different standards. Henderson is a young keeper he will be given time and rightfully so. If he makes 5/6 mistakes the rest of the season like Dave has then you'll see the criticism

Classical Mechanic

He’s looking more like Ben Foster Mk. 2 at the moment. Great at smaller clubs and looked like a potential successor to a legend and likely England #1 but then gets into the United team and looks totally out of his depth.

De Gea was only 20 when United signed him. He was arguably the best keeper in the league by the time he was Henderson’s age.
Henderson has played barely any games for United so I don't think it's sensible to draw any conclusions at this point.

Last edited:

Sylar

Henderson has played barely any games for United so I don't think it's sensible to draw any conclusions at this point.
Yep, and we don't know how he will react either. I mean during the game I thought he reacted well as he was still confident in that you could hear him call for the ball and still wanted to play out the back (which we saw leading to matas chance in the second half)

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I am not the one who thinks that gk must rush out on every cross but after he did well on some crosses it was strange that he didn't went for that ball on second goal. It was in 6y box and on second post. That ball should be his

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I personally felt we attacked better as a team because of the confidence our defenders had to get forward yesterday due to the goalkeeper.

Lindelof's pass for example. The space they would come out between them and the GK was much more than usually seen between them and De Gea. This then gravitated to what was felt by the midfield and especially Pogba and the freedom he got, less defensive ability so stuck in deep areas and the team as whole was playing much further up.

Whilst Henderson made mistakes - mistakes as a young goalkeeper does happen until they hopefully be flushed out. However, to me, there is positives that effects the game even against the bottom of the PL on how we decide to play, attack and defend that arise on what goalkeeper we decide to play and how that makes our defenders feels and how that makes our midfielders feels etc.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
My first thought when I saw Henderson was starting was that I thought it was a mistake. There are plenty of games for Henderson to play, and that #1 can become his, but I wouldn't start him a few days after De Gea kept a clean sheet vs City. Henderson could play in the cup games and Europa and there would be plenty of matches for him. And "if" De Gea had a poor performances, then Henderson could come in...

As for yesterday, I don't think anything needs to be said about the first goal. His first touch is too tight and then he takes too long with the ball. First touch should go a couple feet to his right and a quick pass out to AWB or boot it up the field. Massive mistake that I doubt he will make again as that's one he will learn from.

Then a few minutes later SU had a corner kick. They piled the bodies inside our 6 and on Henderson. They whipped in a cross and Henderson came out and punched. My first thought was "Do they know something or was this how they planned their game assuming De Gea would be in goal?" Fast forward to the second half and they have another corner (even though it shouldn't have been, but whatever). SU puts guys in the 6 and they whip in another cross. This time Henderson stayed on his line and they scored to make things interesting. That ball was headed from about 3 yards out. It was unlucky. Lindelof wins the header and heads it off their player and it comes back at our goal and in. But that never should have happened. Henderson has to clear that. That's his area. I don't care how many people are in the box. As a keeper you command that box and go through people,. And if he gets blocked off, chances are the ref will give him the call. As bad as the first goal was, this one was way worse.

Now it's not all doom and gloom. In the final moments Henderson made a good save to preserve the win. It was a fairly standard save (one for the cameras) but in a match where the keeper is at fault for both goals, it's a good sign to see he can bounce back and produce a game saving save

GazTheLegend

I am not the one who thinks that gk must rush out on every cross but after he did well on some crosses it was strange that he didn't went for that ball on second goal. It was in 6y box and on second post. That ball should be his
It looked to me like he thought he was going to be fouled and backed out a bit.

The first goal is entirely his fault. Play from the back all you like, if a keeper is in doubt, they need to just clear it.

The second goal was frustrating because we hoped he would be a keeper to come and claim those crosses. We already have one keeper who hides on his line all game, we don't need another.

It's his second league start and he will get time but lets not pretend that wasn't as bad as anything De Gea has served up in recent years.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
The occasional mistake should be expected. Overall so far he has done well and he has a great attitude.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Thought it was quite interesting the way Sheffield really targeted him from corners. They clearly know it’s a big weakness for him before they did that. Will probably mean every team in the league will try it from now on I’d imagine.

Can’t say I’ve ever noticed it being an obvious weakness before though.

spiriticon

Thought it was quite interesting the way Sheffield really targeted him from corners. They clearly know it’s a big weakness for him before they did that. Will probably mean every team in the league will try it from now on I’d imagine.

I'm not sure they would have expected him to start. It was probably a tactic they rehearsed for De Gea in mind but they thought they'd try it anyway with Henderson

Superden

he made a mistake. does he deserve some of the opprobrium that comes his way (exhibit A: the matchday thread)? not in a sensible sane world no. but such are the times we live in.

imagine if some of the posters that really do froth at the mouth in these threads had a forum watching their every move. a thread dedicated to how they didnt make their bed properly etc...

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I'm not sure they would have expected him to start. It was probably a tactic they rehearsed for De Gea in mind but they thought they'd try it anyway with Henderson
Spot on mate. It didn't really work for them anyways, up until the second goal some might say but actually the problem in that instance was that he didn't keep his line. He probably could have made a world class reaction save there if he read the flight of the ball and stayed on the line.

tomaldinho1

I think less about Henderson specifically and probably that we are poor as a team, they would have done it just as much if DDG was in goal.

For me, I still think he's the one we should start and put trust in. Would love to see him start next game again and see him get a run - if he then keeps making errors we reassess and, most importantly, don't write him off but maybe decide he needs more time to develop.

AshRK

Jeez it's just one game. Calm down. Every keeper makes mistakes. No point sending him on loan or anything. He will have many chances this seaaon especially with now us being in europa.

I don't really get it with Henderson.

He's undersized. I know he's listed at 6'2, but...Phil Jones has been listed as 5'11 for a decade.

Henderson is a similar height to Pickford, who's routinely criticised for his lack of size and presence.

He doesn't make up for being undersized by being comfortable or confident with the ball at his feet. He's very much a goal-line keeper - doesn't come for many crosses (High Claim % last season he was 18th among the 20 starting keepers - even De Gea was better in 12th). Has no sweeper keeper ability, ala Ederson.

I'm just not seeing the super high potential, or even modern goalkeeper that others apparently do.

Last edited:

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Maybe better than De Gea now but not the answer. Bit of your typical cocky English goalkeeper a la Hart/Pickford.

Ricardo de la Vega

Do you really think DDG is "weak" at defending crosses from corners? He's punched them away for years without any trouble other than in his first season. DDG's weaknesses over the past 3 years have been his concentration - he got beat by soft goals from longshots too often.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
Do you really think DDG is "weak" at defending crosses from corners? He's punched them away for years without any trouble other than in his first season. DDG's weaknesses over the past 3 years have been his concentration - he got beat by soft goals from longshots too often.
I rate De Gea but at defending crosses he's terrible. He more often than not turns his back when he punches the ball if there is a player in front of him. To put it bluntly he's a bit of a coward.

klayton88

I saw him come for two crosses and a few corners. I also heard him scream "KEEPERS" to Maguire. I'm sold. I cannot recall once hearing DDG during a game.

Mcking

Who are the current keepers who command their box?
Emiliano Martinez, Nick Pope are two of the best in the league.

Lloris is another, Dubravka as well, but he's been injured. McCarthy is very good on the air, and Alisson, Ederson and Pickford are all very quick of their line.

Haven't watched them closely enough to see how vocal they are though.

Everton 0:2 Man Utd

saivet

Not much to do again tonight but solid enough. FA Cup coming up soon so should see him again in a couple of weeks.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Looked shaky on some of the back passes and woeful for an early long ball that he let go over his head. But after that early on, he settled.

He definitely needs cup games with a crowd before we ever consider him in the PL again.

Will be interesting to se if he plays against City.

didn’t have much to do tonight. Slightly concerning over his size - though he made the free kick look much harder than it should have.

glad he’s getting games. And a clean sheet will boost his confidence - especially after what happened in the last game.

Alemar

Had nothing to do all game. One free kick saved, but it wasn’t a difficult strike. Still clean sheet is always good

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Will be interesting to se if he plays against City.

didn’t have much to do tonight. Slightly concerning over his size - though he made the free kick look much harder than it should have.

glad he’s getting games. And a clean sheet will boost his confidence - especially after what happened in the last game.
Really glad he got the clean sheet as he does need a solid run of performances to rid him of the spectre of that mistake.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Was OK. Never seen him play and thought he'll become amazing, but neither is Dave now, unfortunately. Not sure he's the one to eventually take over.

NinjaFletch

This probably isn't his fault because we've seen De Gea do similar things, but I absolutely despised his positioning for that Gylfi free kick. Two steps to his right and he catches it comfortably where it ends up and can access both corners, but where he actually stood he made a fairly ordinary effort look incredibly tough.

More generally, I don't really see it with him. He's short for a goalkeeper and is going to be targeted by teams from set pieces regardless of how good he is. He looks thoroughly average on the ball and his shot stopping looks ok rather than spectacular. I'm not sure he's currently much worse an option than De Gea, but I have my doubts how far he can go for us.

cyberman

Thought he played well enough. He stsrted like this for SU last aeason and grew into it so obviously he has sone jitters when facing a challenge

Godfather

He's a nervous wreck at the moment but today's game should give him some confidence back

Based Adnan

Loved seeing him come out for a cross in the 93rd when we were under the kosh a little. Wasn't tested but distribution was solid.

kclord

Loved seeing him come out for a cross in the 93rd when we were under the kosh a little. Wasn't tested but distribution was solid.
Yep, loved that. De Gea would have punched there - not saying that a punch isn't effective, but actually catching and claiming it immediately relieves all pressure. Fantastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.