Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

United58

Hope he gets a decent run in the League Cup, FA Cup and Europa League. We still have a LOT of games to play this season, and De Gea knows he's under threat.

Mcking

If he doesn't play against Man City, then questions need to be asked as to why he was brought back.

Mcking

no they don’t.
He has played the previous three rounds of the cup, did well and kept cleansheets in each one. If you're going to drop him in the next round because he is named Dean Henderson, then why bother keeping him in the team. Could have just stuck with Romero as No.2.

I fully expect him to start anyway, so no point going further.

He has played the previous three rounds of the cup, did well and kept cleansheets in each one. If you're going to drop him in the next round because he is named Dean Henderson, then why bother keeping him in the team. Could have just stuck with Romero as No.2.

i think he will start, but I also have no issue on our no1 playing in the big games, even if Henderson played in earlier rounds.

I was the same with Romero. I disagree strongly in having a ‘cup’ keeper, and guaranteeing that the keeper plays those games. If we get to a final, then the no 1 keeper should play.

Henderson has got some games, provided genuine competition for DDG (which Romero never did), and so bringing him back has been a positive move, irrespective of whether he plays against city.

United58

Romero had a (bad) knee injury at the start of the season I think, so it's firmly De Gea vs Henderson atm (could be wrong!). Poor Grant...

Mcking

i think he will start, but I also have no issue on our no1 playing in the big games, even if Henderson played in earlier rounds.

I was the same with Romero. I disagree strongly in having a ‘cup’ keeper, and guaranteeing that the keeper plays those games. If we get to a final, then the no 1 keeper should play.

Henderson has got some games, provided genuine competition for DDG (which Romero never did), and so bringing him back has been a positive move, irrespective of whether he plays against city.
That didn't quite work out well last season. Romero started virtually every round in the cups until we got to the semis, De Gea was restored, and we lost. It happened in the FA Cup, it happened in the Carabao Cup, and it happened in the Europa League as well.

Henderson's case is different anyway. He is supposed to get the chances to stake a claim. Dropping him for the City game would be a huge kick in the teeth.

That didn't quite work out well last season. Romero started virtually every round in the cups until we got to the semis, De Gea was restored, and we lost. It happened in the FA Cup, it happened in the Carabao Cup, and it happened in the Europa League as well.

Henderson's case is different anyway. He is supposed to get the chances to stake a claim. Dropping him for the City game would be a huge kick in the teeth.
DDG made some errors, but clearly we also don’t know how Romero would have played.

it should always be the case where you play your best keeper in the big matches. Sometimes they might make errors, that doesn’t make the decision wrong. If Romero was our best keeper at that time, then he should have played, but he wasn’t.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
DDG made some errors, but clearly we also don’t know how Romero would have played.

it should always be the case where you play your best keeper in the big matches. Sometimes they might make errors, that doesn’t make the decision wrong. If Romero was our best keeper at that time, then he should have played, but he wasn’t.
The problem is that that was debateable. De Gea was in poor form for the last two seasons (he's improved this season although still not at his top level) and Romero played well in almost all his matches. From memory he did have one poor match, but overall he did well. As such there were three reasons that many (most?) thought he should continue playing in the cups.

1) He simply might play better in those matches than De Gea would, ultimately giving us a better chance of winning them. De Gea ended up being poor in the FA Cup semi, average in the Europa semi and fairly good in the EFL Cup semis.
2) The added competition might have pushed De Gea to focus and improve his general form (that's arguably a contributing factor to his improved form this season). That puts us in a better position overall.
3) If Romero continued playing well in those finals while De Gea continued struggling in the league, it may have given us the option of choosing the better performing player (whichever one that was) in the league.

Worst case scenario Romero plays poorly and plays a part in us getting knocked out of those cups. Something that De Gea ended up doing anyway which didn't really surprise anyone.

The problem is that that was debateable. De Gea was in poor form for the last two seasons (he's improved this season although still not at his top level) and Romero played well in almost all his matches. From memory he did have one poor match, but overall he did well. As such there were three reasons that many (most?) thought he should continue playing in the cups.

1) He simply might play better in those matches than De Gea would, ultimately giving us a better chance of winning them. De Gea ended up being poor in the FA Cup semi, average in the Europa semi and fairly good in the EFL Cup semis.
2) The added competition might have pushed De Gea to focus and improve his general form (that's arguably a contributing factor to his improved form this season). That puts us in a better position overall.
3) If Romero continued playing well in those finals while De Gea continued struggling in the league, it may have given us the option of choosing the better performing player (whichever one that was) in the league.

Worst case scenario Romero plays poorly and plays a part in us getting knocked out of those cups. Something that De Gea ended up doing anyway which didn't really surprise anyone.
The difference is you are looking at the worst case scenario, and I’m looking at the best case.

DDG is a better keeper than Romero. Romero has never been good enough to be a no 1. He’s been an able deputy, and been fantastic in that role. It seems that he’s never wanted to be a no 1, and I won’t criticise him for that.

DDG can make saves that Romero simply can’t. That’s why he should have played - and I said it at the time.

Henderson is a different kettle of fish. He has the desire and drive to be no 1. Whether he can be, I don’t know. I want him to get games, and now we are in the EL I expect him to play more.

Jonno

I'd like to see him v's City. Rotation is healthy in this day and age, even for goalkeepers. I feel like De Gea is on the road to getting back to his best and a large part is down to Dean Henderson pushing him for a place in the team.

Man Utd 0:2 Man City

ROFLUTION

I'll lay the judgement right away, and I'm usually pretty opened minded / patient with players

Dean Henderson is a shit overrated goalkeeper.
- Terrible at keeping focus / non-chalant
- Way too big a mouth compared to his actual skills. We saw this last summer where he "was better than De Gea" and dropped in the next game for England U21s.
- Crap in 1 on 1s where he always hesitates to come out and fails to close the space the attacker is allowed to shoot in (saw it today too)

The most annoying part about him is that he's on such a big contract and seemingly has gotten this contract due to his big-ego and being shielded by a low Sheffield United defence, which is nowhere near how United play. Contract-robbery of the decade, thanks again Ed. 100k a week for 5 years. That's 26m in total just in contract for an amateur back-up goalkeeper.

I'll correct myself, the most annoying thing about him is his open mouth and his ego. There's really something arrogant about him I can't stand. Maybe it's because he doesn't have the skills to back the arrogance and his statements about how good he is up.

dove

Romero should be our 2nd keeper. Apologise and bring him back.

Unfortunately we'll likely be seeing him again in the FA Cup.

It would be nice just to play our best players - especially in a position where fatigue isn't an issue - instead of giving charity matches to a keeper who will never, ever, ever be our Number 1.

An undersized, goalline keeper who is absolutely terrible with the ball at his feet. You can find a Henderson on every sub bench in the Premier League.

Romero was miles better...never mind De Gea. Miles.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I admit that i didn't watched him in SU but from what i see so far; he is not United no1 material. I don't think that he is better even than Romero. Comparism with Dave is laughable now

mu4c_20le

Made a few good saves today. Couldn't do anything about the second one.

Red_Aaron

The commentators gave him a pass on the second goal

He could see it all the way and there's no excuse for not attempting the save, it wasn't even travelling particularly fast

He may not have got to it but waving it goodbye is unacceptable

RedDevil@84

Very passive keeper. Not really sure what was the fuss was all about among our fans. Many even wanted De Gea to just feck off so that Hendo comes in.
He is not bad, but he is nothing special. One of the many English keepers out there who are just about ok.

Looks very casual and not really interested to make those difficult saves that De Gea regularly makes.

Mcking

He didn't do anything wrong today, and everyone know that. It's not difficult to admit it.

Devil81

He's a good keeper but not on De Gea level.

Got a mega contract now as well.

siw2007

I actually thought he had a decent game today, made a number of good saves. Wasn't at fault for any of the goals.

united for life

He didn't do anything wrong today, and everyone know that. It's not difficult to admit it.
i was surprised reading the posts here after the match. Why would anyone question bis abilities after today’s game? He made some good saves. He couldn’t do much about both goals.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Ddg gets a lot of stick for not rushing out on high balls. But in one on one situations Dave is in second near the attacker. Hendo one time decided to wait Foden in his 6y box (??) And second time when he was closer to the ball he hesitate to collect it. That was just weird defending

ROFLUTION

He kept standing in goal when Sterling (Foden)? was allowed through to score. Lucky it was offside, as he left the goal wide open by not coming out to meet him and minimize the area to shoot in (he's so shit at this and also did it against Basakshehir)

Didnt even move for the second goal. Romero or De Gea could've saved that one. Not terrible, but United material at least reaches for shots like that.

CM10

I was really disappointed with him tonight. Didn't get close to the two disallowed goals and didn't get across quick enough for either of the actual goals.

These games show that while de Gea isn't always perfect there's still a massive gulf in quality between them.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He kept us in it at 1-0, weird that he’s now being accused of having a massive ego and being terrible. :lol: De Gea has been really good this season overall so Henderson hasn’t got as many minutes as he would probably like, but I don’t see the point in pitting them against each other when they’re both in decent/good form.

Machine Elements

Should've been sold in the summer when his stock was high for a good money. But no, we predictably gave him a big contract to create a new issue and treated probably the only player who was immaculate in the last 5-6 years disgustingly to make a space for Henderson. Good management.

Mcking

Ddg gets a lot of stick for not rushing out on high balls. But in one on one situations Dave is in second near the attacker. Hendo one time decided to wait Foden in his 6y box (??) And second time when he was closer to the ball he hesitate to collect it. That was just weird defending
He dealt with Sterling very well. Had to make the challenge as late as possible, and did. He had to wait for Foden as well because the defence was exposed.

RUCK4444

Disappointed he didn’t make an effort to even dive on the second goal. He just watched it, it wasn’t even a particularly hard shot.

There’s a good chance he wouldn’t have got to it but you have to react and try to get across. De Gea would have dived for that as would most keepers.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Thought he was fine.

And even if he wasn't, I wouldn't be overly critical of a young goalkeeper making the step up from Sheffield United to Manchester United anyway. Even if he is good enough to be Manchester United #1 in the long run, that wouldn't preclude him from struggling to convince early on.

Safe to say De Gea has re-secured his place as our undisputed #1 though, even without being at his very best. It also highlights why suggestions that we just sell De Gea and have Henderson replace him (as was floated by a few posters in the summer) were silly, as were claims that Henderson is clearly better. Though tbf it's hard to keep perspective when De Gea is melting down as he was at the end of last season.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Should've been sold in the summer when his stock was high for a good money. But no, we predictably gave him a big contract to create a new issue and treated probably the only player who was immaculate in the last 5-6 years disgustingly to make a space for Henderson. Good management.
That’s a remarkably bad post. Of which there will be many to pick from tonight. So hats off for laying down such an impressive marker, early doors.

Status
Not open for further replies.