Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Cheers for taking your time.

This is how I see these situations:
1. The Sterling header: When watching it in replay, the Sterling header possibly would have gone out, so not great decisionmaking to take it.
2. Does well to close him down. Nothing spectacular I think though
3 It's a save you have to make if you're a United goalie. I think he makes it into an unnecessary TV-save with his jump, but I don't expect you to agree with me.
Maybe I just saw what I wanted to see, man. Hhaha.. I see that ceiling of DDG, and tbh I'm not satisfied. So i'm just hoping Henderson will take the spot.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
I’ve been a massive fan of DeGea, for me only Schmeichel has been better overall in my time watching the club.....that doesn’t mean I have to trash a young GK who’s come through the ranks, just because people were hoping he might replace DeGea.

DeGea has been a disgrace for the past 2/3 seasons, that’s on him. Seems to have his motivations back for some reason now.

Disgusted reading this thread. Some loon has honestly criticised Henderson for saving Sterling’s header because it ‘possibly’ was going out of play. Jesus.

Henderson had a good game against City and deserves credit.

arthurka

I’ve been a massive fan of DeGea, for me only Schmeichel has been better overall in my time watching the club.....that doesn’t mean I have to trash a young GK who’s come through the ranks, just because people were hoping he might replace DeGea.

DeGea has been a disgrace for the past 2/3 seasons, that’s on him. Seems to have his motivations back for some reason now.

Disgusted reading this thread. Some loon has honestly criticised Henderson for saving Sterling’s header because it ‘possibly’ was going out of play. Jesus.

Henderson had a good game against City and deserves credit.
Agree, he isn´t perfect but I think this kid could become a very good keeper.
But he would need a run of games and the managers trust, this place is absolutely shocking when it comes to young talents.
Before the season he was the best thing since sliced bread but now after a handful of games he is the new Karius.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
More importantly than dissecting last night's game - what do people actually think he's good at? Why do you rate him as a future United keeper?

On just about every metric of modern goalkeeping, I see nothing that makes me think he's an outstanding number 2, never mind a future number 1.

Height? He's one of the shortest keepers in the league. Plenty of pictures show he's a similar height to Pickford, who's routinely criticised for his lack of size and presence.

Proactive sweeper keeper? Nope. Goalline keeper. Ranked 16th of 20 starting goalkeepers last season for Defensive Actions outside the penalty area. 22nd of 24 the year before in the Championship.

Distribution? Looks actively terrified of the ball. Obviously had the lowest completion % of any goalkeeper in the league last season - although arguably much of that was down to Sheffield United's tactics. He had a comically low number of actual passes last season.

Are his long kicks actually good? No, is the quick answer. A 'Launch' is defined as a goalkeeper pass attempt longer than 40 yards. Henderson's Launch completion rate was just 29% - ranking him 20th of 20 starting keepers. For reference Alisson was 1st with 54%. De Gea was right in the middle, 10th at 39%.

1v1? Given his lack of size, this probably isn't surprising, but he ranked 18th of 20 starting keepers in 1v1 Save Percentage last season. Pope was Number 1 by quite a margin, followed by Alisson and then Ederson. De Gea was 6th.

Shot stopping? Excepted Goals/Goals Conceded seems to be the most used metric here. With it, Henderson ranked 6th of the 20 starting keepers last season - behind Lloris, Dubravka, Guaita, McCarthy and Leno. De Gea was 10th - surprisingly ahead of Alisson in 12th. Pickford and Kepa were 19th and 20th.
xG prevented would typically be the stat used in reference to goalkeepers. Henderson was second last year, in his first PL season.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
But he would need a run of games and the managers trust, this place is absolutely shocking when it comes to young talents.
Before the season he was the best thing since sliced bread but now after a handful of games he is the new Karius.
I think it’s people who backed DeGea and then the worst kind of people who are more interested in being right than anything else. Sad when it comes to a young GK that they’re more interested in being right so that they try and trash his performances

ROFLUTION

I think it’s people who backed DeGea and then the worst kind of people who are more interested in being right than anything else. Sad when it comes to a young GK that they’re more interested in being right so that they try and trash his performances
Who are you to tell what sort of person a poster is if he doesn't like Henderson? The worst kind of people? More interested in being right than having a good goalkeeper? Or due to being De Gea-fans? Imagine if I had the same amount of prejudice for you, because you defend Henderson. Maybe people just want a good goalkeeper or future goalkeeper at United, and one that lives up to the standards?

I can't speak for all, but I don't agree that we should just free Henderson for critique because he's young. With De Gea, you could see the extreme high ceiling. I don't see an extraordinary talent in Henderson, worth keeping years of patience with. Can't buy the argument that he needs game-time to improve neither, as some people in here throw in. A backup goalkeeper at United doesn't get more than 1-2 games in a row, so that scenario is something we probably wont see for Henderson neither. He needs to perform under the circumstances as they are now - they don't seem to change when De Gea is first option and Henderson performs like this.

ROFLUTION

More importantly than dissecting last night's game - what do people actually think he's good at? Why do you rate him as a future United keeper?

On just about every metric of modern goalkeeping, I see nothing that makes me think he's an outstanding number 2, never mind a future number 1.

Height? He's one of the shortest keepers in the league. Plenty of pictures show he's a similar height to Pickford, who's routinely criticised for his lack of size and presence.

Proactive sweeper keeper? Nope. Goalline keeper. Ranked 16th of 20 starting goalkeepers last season for Defensive Actions outside the penalty area. 22nd of 24 the year before in the Championship.

Distribution? Looks actively terrified of the ball. Obviously had the lowest completion % of any goalkeeper in the league last season - although arguably much of that was down to Sheffield United's tactics. He had a comically low number of actual passes last season.

Are his long kicks actually good? No, is the quick answer. A 'Launch' is defined as a goalkeeper pass attempt longer than 40 yards. Henderson's Launch completion rate was just 29% - ranking him 20th of 20 starting keepers. For reference Alisson was 1st with 54%. De Gea was right in the middle, 10th at 39%.

1v1? Given his lack of size, this probably isn't surprising, but he ranked 18th of 20 starting keepers in 1v1 Save Percentage last season. Pope was Number 1 by quite a margin, followed by Alisson and then Ederson. De Gea was 6th.

Shot stopping? Excepted Goals/Goals Conceded seems to be the most used metric here. With it, Henderson ranked 6th of the 20 starting keepers last season - behind Lloris, Dubravka, Guaita, McCarthy and Leno. De Gea was 10th - surprisingly ahead of Alisson in 12th. Pickford and Kepa were 19th and 20th.
These stats all back up his performances for us, and possibly also why he looked good at Sheffield United. Well done, sir.

@sullydnl xG prevented is not a bad measure and he does rate very high in last season, but you need to look at the circumstances these xG came from too: A low back-line at Sheffield United. Only on rare occasions did the xG's come from 1v1 in which he's not performing well.

It's a good stat for him never-the-less, I'll give him that but it doesn't cover the whole picture, and also doesn't take in account for his mental side. So far he's seemed nervous here at United, like the stage is too big. He might calm that down a bit with some games under his belt, or with age, but a lot of keepers have never controlled the mental pressure of being a United-goalkeeper. Taibi, Foster, Carroll, Barthez - there were just endless examples of these before we found Van der Sar. De Gea is possibly the only rare example over the last couple of years, that has actually gone the other way, when starting out bad.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Haha, yeah that's why I've come to accept the opinions are like arse holes motto . The same people want to give players time to get better but don't actually want to give it to them demanding instant change

MU655

The problem with these is that they can be massively impacted by how the team plays. Last season (not sure about the one before) they constantly played 5 defenders. They were a team that was very cautious, which shows in them only scoring 39 goals, the joint fourth-lowest in the league, despite ending in 9th place. Even Burnley scored more than them.

They also only conceded 39, which was bettered only by Man City, Liverpool, and Manutd. It is pretty clear that they were a team that had an extremely conservative approach and so the chances for sweeping would be far lower. In fact, he may have even been instructed not to do it with how deep the defence sat.

Launch completion again can be marred by how the team plays. How many options are there further up the pitch; is the goalkeeper just told to hoof it up the field to relieve the pressure? Average possession was 42.4% over the course of the season (fourth lowest), so most of the time they were dominated by the opposition, and the way they play suggests it. Goalkeepers that play in teams like that tend to have low passing percentages due to this. I find comparing him to Alisson and De Gea a bit pointless here as these do not play in teams that are anything like Sheffield United last season. Pass success percentages below:

Pope - 37.6% last season; this season 45.7%
Henderson - 36.8% last season; this season 74.2% (shows the difference moving teams makes really). His passing accuracy has doubled from just changing teams. For reference, De Gea has 75% this season.

Also, in terms of save percentage, he was also fourth with 75.2% last season. Leno, Lloris, and Martinez (1st with 81%) above him. This season it is 78.2%, but with far fewer games played. So, I think we are talking about a top-quality shot-stopper here, bearing in mind he is much younger than the players that were above him.

Even though he may be one of the shortest, it isn't really much to hold against him. He is 6ft 2" or 1.88m. Ederson and Lloris are the same height.

I would say the one-on-one stat would be more useful if we knew how many one-on-ones each goalkeeper faced.

Outside of that, he was also very commanding at Sheffield United. He helped organise the defence, and I think his loss was a big blow to Sheffield United.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
These stats all back up his performances for us, and possibly also why he looked good at Sheffield United. Well done, sir.

@sullydnl xG prevented is not a bad measure and he does rate very high in last season, but you need to look at the circumstances these xG came from too: A low back-line at Sheffield United. Only on rare occasions did the xG's come from 1v1 in which he's not performing well.

It's a good stat for him never-the-less, I'll give him that but it doesn't cover the whole picture, and also doesn't take in account for his mental side. So far he's seemed nervous here at United, like the stage is too big. He might calm that down a bit with some games under his belt, or with age, but a lot of keepers have never controlled the mental pressure of being a United-goalkeeper. Taibi, Foster, Carroll, Barthez - there were just endless examples of these before we found Van der Sar. De Gea is possibly the only rare example over the last couple of years, that has actually gone the other way, when starting out bad.
Yep, would agree with all of that.

Ole referenced how mentally strong De Gea was at the end of last season, which some here scoffed at, possibly thinking of how quiet he can seem on the pitch and how timid he can appear when it comes to dominating his area, conflating that with his mental resilience. But his mental strength is something players and coaches have referenced as far back as Eric Steele's scouting reports before we signed him. It's how he survived that initial bad spell and it's how he's currently fending off the competition after his metdown at the end of last season. Yet even still, the pressure is constantly on him. That's what being United's #1 means.

Impossible to know whether Henderson is up to it really. Even goalkeepers who were good enough to have long PL and international careers fell short of that standard, so you'd have to be a damn good judge of a player to call it. Best just to be patient with him for now. Whereas I think a lot of people are currently being over-critical with both our keepers.

Last edited:
Man Utd 1:0 Watford

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He's so unremarkable looking that everytime the camera has a close-up of him in net, my brain asks "Who's that bloke in our net?" then I remember it's Dean Henderson, and then as soon as it cuts away I completely forget what he looks like, and rinse-repeat.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He's so unremarkable looking that everytime the camera has a close-up of him in net, my brain asks "Who's that bloke in our net?" then I remember it's Dean Henderson, and then as soon as it cuts away I completely forget what he looks like, and rinse-repeat.
Same :lol:

Idxomer

He did well and caught me by surprise when he came off his line in the 1st half.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Looks to be playing with confidence, which is something he wasn't doing before. Opening up and I think he should play vs Burnley and we can slowly bring him in as a first choice keeper.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
One very good save tonight and thought he was better distributing with less pressure on him.

A bit of a worry at the Bailly incident for his lack of awareness of what’s around him but he obviously had no intention of causing any harm.

I just think he’s been quite unremarkable so far but this was probably his best performance which feels wrong.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
One very good save tonight and thought he was better distributing with less pressure on him.

A bit of a worry at the Bailly incident for his lack of awareness of what’s around him but he obviously had no intention of causing any harm.

I just think he’s been quite unremarkable so far but this was probably his best performance which feels wrong.
What awareness was he lacking? He saw very clearly what was around him. A Watford player 3 feet higher than Bailly about to get a wide open free header in the 6 yard box. He did exactly what any keeper worth his salt would do, got his ass out there and won the ball.

You don’t gift the opposition goals by backing out of challenges because your CB who’s been caught out is in the way.

el3mel

He'll learn when and how to time his coming out from the goal with time, I'm not concerned.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
What awareness was he lacking? He saw very clearly what was around him. A Watford player 3 feet higher than Bailly about to get a wide open free header in the 6 yard box. He did exactly what any keeper worth his salt would do, got his ass out there and won the ball.

You don’t gift the opposition goals by backing out of challenges because your CB who’s been caught out is in the way.
Where was the clear shout to Bailly that he was coming for the ball. That’s a lack of awareness. Equally I don’t think going knee first into your own CB shows any regard for their safety either.

The Watford player isn’t 3feet higher and Bailly was perfectly capable of challenging that header in fact before Henderson arrived he’d already set himself up to be fouled by the attacker if they challenged him. Henderson could quite easily have stayed and let Bailly deal with it.

Bailly wasn’t the one caught out he was making up for others Henderson put him at risk due to poor awareness of his surroundings.

The rest of the game he was ok.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Accident waiting to happen. I hope he improves. He is confident but a classy keeper always looks in control - he does not so far.

A bit of a problem because DDG is no longer world class.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Where was the clear shout to Bailly that he was coming for the ball. That’s a lack of awareness. Equally I don’t think going knee first into your own CB shows any regard for their safety either.

The Watford player isn’t 3feet higher and Bailly was perfectly capable of challenging that header in fact before Henderson arrived he’d already set himself up to be fouled by the attacker if they challenged him. Henderson could quite easily have stayed and let Bailly deal with it.

Bailly wasn’t the one caught out he was making up for others Henderson put him at risk due to poor awareness of his surroundings.

The rest of the game he was ok.
How do you know if he shouted or not? You don’t.

Going knee first is elementary keeping, you obviously know very little about keeping to even say something so stupid. He’s there to win the ball and protect himself.

The Watford player’s waist is over Bailly’s head. Quite easily 3 foot higher than him.

Bailly wasn’t perfectly capable of challenging, if he was he’d have been off the ground but instead he was caught out and had no chance of winning it. Exactly why you have a keeper behind you to deal with that.

Bailly was never winning a foul, he wasn’t even attempting to challenge in the air.

Henderson quite clearly couldn’t leave it as Bailly was nowhere near to getting off the ground to challenge for it.

Bailly was caught under the ball and had no chance of winning it. Henderson saved us from conceding with good awareness to the threat.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
How do you know if he shouted or not? You don’t.

Going knee first is elementary keeping, you obviously know very little about keeping to even say something so stupid. He’s there to win the ball and protect himself.

The Watford player’s waist is over Bailly’s head. Quite easily 3 foot higher than him.

Bailly wasn’t perfectly capable of challenging, if he was he’d have been off the ground but instead he was caught out and had no chance of winning it. Exactly why you have a keeper behind you to deal with that.

Bailly was never winning a foul, he wasn’t even attempting to challenge in the air.

Henderson quite clearly couldn’t leave it as Bailly was nowhere near to getting off the ground to challenge for it.

Bailly was caught under the ball and had no chance of winning it. Henderson saved us from conceding with good awareness to the threat.
Watch the video not the still image and you’ll see no shout from Henderson or better yet hear no shout. Not hard to hear with no crowds.

Have you done your badges? If not then I wouldn’t try and go down the coaching route with me.

Knee first is not elementary keeping to protect yourself the protection comes from the landing preparations and if you’d ever actually coached a day in your life you’d know that keepers are instructed to be aware of how to effectively and safely contest aerials Henderson did not do this and actually put all three players at risk of serious injury.

Look at the video and build up of events Bailly is fouled by the jumping player and ducks to get out of the way of the incoming
Henderson and the player fouling him Henderson comes flying in knee first into Bailly. The picture does not tell you how this event occurred so let’s not cherry pick and do some proper analysis. But again with no experience of coaching yourself I don’t expect you to view it as a coach does in full context.

The United staff will absolutely mention this to Henderson in post match analysis as something to work on if you don’t think they will it tells me everything I need to know.

Henderson could have achieved the same thing and not endangered Bailly by coming out differently or staying put.

Get In Scholesy

Reminds me too much of PIG for some reason, that’s not a good thing mind you.

Still has a lot to prove, but nice to see him get some game time this season. Will give us an idea how to manage De Gea

Always had a soft spot for Barthez.
he was brilliant in his first season, what happened about halfway through the second season and onwards seems to cloud a lot of people. Some look back and think he was a calamity from the start, and he really wasn’t.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
he was brilliant in his first season, what happened about halfway through the second season and onwards seems to cloud a lot of people. Some look back and think he was a calamity from the start, and he really wasn’t.
Yeah he was fantastic and you’re one of the few posters I’ve seen recognising that.

It’s kind of hard to forget the rest though haha

lex talionis

I’m not going to fault Henderson for going out with his knee, but that’s no longer standard technique when you go out to punch the ball clear. His coaches will work with him on that.

I also winced when he came out very wide left for the clearance into touch. Far too risky in face of far too little of an immediate threat.

Jibbs

Suddenly United in looking vulnerable in goalkeeping department. De Gea's time is up. He will only decline further. He needs a change of scenery. Henderson does not inspire confidence. He is a good keeper, but I think he is Nick Pope, Bernd Leno level good. At United we need a top level keeper. I think United should get in the market for a quality keeper next year.

Kyonn

So far the number one thing Henderson has done is make me realize how good De Gea still is.

Red_toad

Watch the video not the still image and you’ll see no shout from Henderson or better yet hear no shout. Not hard to hear with no crowds.

Have you done your badges? If not then I wouldn’t try and go down the coaching route with me.

Knee first is not elementary keeping to protect yourself the protection comes from the landing preparations and if you’d ever actually coached a day in your life you’d know that keepers are instructed to be aware of how to effectively and safely contest aerials Henderson did not do this and actually put all three players at risk of serious injury.

Look at the video and build up of events Bailly is fouled by the jumping player and ducks to get out of the way of the incoming
Henderson and the player fouling him Henderson comes flying in knee first into Bailly. The picture does not tell you how this event occurred so let’s not cherry pick and do some proper analysis. But again with no experience of coaching yourself I don’t expect you to view it as a coach does in full context.

The United staff will absolutely mention this to Henderson in post match analysis as something to work on if you don’t think they will it tells me everything I need to know.

Henderson could have achieved the same thing and not endangered Bailly by coming out differently or staying put.
Care to provide some evidence of these highly coached keeper who come out and don’t do exactly the same as Henderson? From what I saw that was a proactive keeper who didn’t just stand on his line like Dave would have. For me remaining on his line would have been a terrible mistake, but I’m not a top level goalkeeper coach like you, I just played in goal a fair bit a long time ago and for me, the leading leg is to stop me getting put on my arse and getting battered.

Foxbatt

Care to provide some evidence of these highly coached keeper who come out and don’t do exactly the same as Henderson? From what I saw that was a proactive keeper who didn’t just stand on his line like Dave would have. For me remaining on his line would have been a terrible mistake, but I’m not a top level goalkeeper coach like you, I just played in goal a fair bit a long time ago and for me, the leading leg is to stop me getting put on my arse and getting battered.
I have no idea what this guy is talking about. I didn't mean you. What Hendo did was what he should have done. Any manager or top coach would say the same thing. The most important aspect is not to concede a goal. Not flattening your own defender is not the first priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.