Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bondi77

Decent enough but he's got a long way to go to match De Gea. To me he feels like he's lining up to be another Barthez/Bosnich/Howard post De Gea.
Three good GKs
Bosnich was a brilliant shot stopper but his distribution was shocking
I really rated Howard and While Barthez had a mistake in him I cannot say he was not good when he was with us.

Three good GKs
I really rated Howard and While Barthez had a mistake in him I cannot say he was not good when he was with us.
Not saying they weren't good but they weren't quite at the level we needed, all three ended up being replaced eventually. That's how I feel it will go with Henderson.

Bojan11

Not saying they weren't good but they weren't quite at the level we needed, all three ended up being replaced eventually. That's how I feel it will go with Henderson.
Same.

I don't think you can blame him for the second goal though. It's a shot from 8 yards. The best goalkeepers might save that, but we should be more concerned about how Salah gets in that position in the first place.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Same.

I don't think you can blame him for the second goal though. It's a shot from 8 yards. The best goalkeepers might save that, but we should be more concerned about how Salah gets in that position in the first place.
DDG let in that kind of shot against Fulham, at even from tighter angle.

Red00012

Granted Salah was 10 yards out if even , I think DDG saves it.

Something that always comes up when he’s in goal which I find funny , I watch the games with my 12 year old son and each time Henderson comes out to the edge of the box to collect or clear the ball my son says DDG would be behind his line for that :lol:

MattofManchester

Disagree with the assertions De Gea would have saved anything today.

The second goal was too quick and thwarted everyone.
The first, both De Gea and Henderson do the same thing where they expect the ball to be drilled low, hence they plant their feet the way they do.

Decent goals, and no blame should be attached to goalkeepers.

Defending was very poor.

city-puma

For the first goal conceded, his position and body opening were superb but the lob by salah was simple too good. The second was just too close and you can only save it by luck because Milner run in the middle and left the ball behind to Salah. It all happen too quickly.

meamth

Disagree with the assertions De Gea would have saved anything today.

The second goal was too quick and thwarted everyone.
The first, both De Gea and Henderson do the same thing where they expect the ball to be drilled low, hence they plant their feet the way they do.

Decent goals, and no blame should be attached to goalkeepers.

Defending was very poor.
But...De Gea has this trademark with his feet.

De Gea would save that one.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Why is he blamed for both goals? The only thing I would question is his passing was too soft/slow-paced on Maguire which invited the pressure but it wasn’t his individual error but more of a team because I think that’s the risk of trying to play from the back especially against gengenpress Klopp.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Played okay today, definitely off of his form of last season.

DDG still comfortably GK1.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Think we'll be forced to sell with a buy option. He's battling to be England no 1. No chance this situation continues.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’s alright but he looks small in goal

Lee565

He's in the same boat as vdb, barely played all season and thrown into a big game and probably wanted to desperately impress in fear of not being selected for a long time again which affected him in a negative way

Alemar

He's in the same boat as vdb, barely played all season and thrown into a big game and probably wanted to desperately impress in fear of not being selected for a long time again which affected him in a negative way
He played quite a lot this season, actually. More than a second goalkeeper usually gets

Davie Moyes

For the first goal conceded, his position and body opening were superb but the lob by salah was simple too good. The second was just too close and you can only save it by luck because Milner run in the middle and left the ball behind to Salah. It all happen too quickly.
I agree. Was watching the replay on first come goal and noted he did well and it was such an outstanding finish, he got great height on the chip without hitting it over the bar.

The second goal maybe could have done better but you can tell Salah running on to it you would expect him to bury it in the far corner and that's what Henderson expected.

Based Adnan

Don't blame him for the goals at all. First was a superb finish by Salah and the second was too close/fast for him to adjust in time. Outside of that he made some basic saves, came off his line well and had some decent distribution.

MU655

People saying De Gea wouldn't concede through his legs? He has conceded through his legs in worse positions before. Norwich last season from a very tight angle.

You have to remember Salah was very close to goal and is capable of putting it anywhere.

The first goal he definitely wouldn't have saved. That was a great finish from Salah. I think people are failing to take into account that Salah is one of the best players in the world; he is going to score most of the time when one-on-one no matter who is in goal.

OhGee

Can’t fault him for any of the goals however DDG is still streets ahead of him as our clear choice #1

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He is clearly one of those goalkeepers that gets better with age and experience before playing until he is 40 etc.

De gea was one of the few goalkeepers I've ever seen arguably the opposite, mostly movement & reflex based who doesnt age and get better (due to a bit less reflex or movement). De gea has been better this season though, upping his game like alot of individuals have for feeling the good club vibes & competitions.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Can't say much about the first goal. 2nd goal isn't a mistake by him, just it is something De Gea has made a habit out of saving over the years as he is still incredible with his feet. Its something we have to accept and keep in mind. Henderson might develop into a good goalkeeper, but hes not and won't be De Gea level, or Van der Sar level, or Schmeichel level. 3 legends who stayed for 5+ seasons as the undisputed starter.

Is Henderson that, or is he more a fill in goalkeeper for a few years after De Gea until we get the next guy? I'd lean towards the latter, where he might be solid but I don't think we'll ever feel he is the guy. He's just not really elite with anything and doesn't have stand out elite qualities, whether it is shot stopping, playing with the ball at his feet, handling, reflexes, positioning, saving with his feet, whatever. He is solid at most things, but thats probably it.

bosnian_red

Three good GKs
For sure! Good goalkeeper. Not a great goalkeeper who we get and are happy with and settled with until they decline. More a fill in between the great keepers.

city-puma

What Ole did to Henderson is amazing. Gradually giving him game here and there, including some important games. He now played league, cup, and European games. In process, his only real mistake is the league game against Sheffield utd because we want to play from the back. He learned the United way to play. Never looked like a shadow of himself. Continue this phasing in, and he will get better and better.

city-puma

It's not about the mistakes, but for the incredible stops he used to pull out on regular bases.
I think the point is that those mistakes costed us a big number of points over last two seasons. With the emerging Henderson, David has been upping his game. David won’t play at the highest level forever, it’s a reality.

Kostov

I think the point is that those mistakes costed us a big number of points over last two seasons. With the emerging Henderson, David has been upping his game. David won’t play at the highest level forever, it’s a reality.
I agree, I was referencing to someone alluding that DDG would have saved one of the goals from yesterday, I really think he wouldn't.

Mindhunter

He looks shaky though. His confidence is commendable in that he believes he can nail down a starting position within the team. The problem is that we haven't really seen him in tough situations enough to say for sure if his confidence will translate to long-term performance at the club.

At United, the GK will always have very less to do and needs to be and needs to be on his game all the time and be able to make one-off brilliant saves. I have a feeling that De Gea would have saved the second goal from Salah. He very rarely gets beaten through his legs down the middle.

lex talionis

I like Henderson but he’s just not in De Gea’s class. Dave is still pretty young (30 I think) and unless we sell him I can’t see Dean taking the gloves from him.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I like Henderson but he’s just not in De Gea’s class. Dave is still pretty young (30 I think) and unless we sell him I can’t see Dean taking the gloves from him.
That's for sure and perhaps Dean is the main reason why suddenly Dave cemented his form once again and doesn't want anyone to take the gloves from him.

Not world class just yet, but still a good refreshment to the squad. We'll definitely be back in three years to assess his skills, once again and maybe then, who knows...

Bondi77

For sure! Good goalkeeper. Not a great goalkeeper who we get and are happy with and settled with until they decline. More a fill in between the great keepers.
Who are the ones that went into decline while at the club?

bosnian_red

Who are the ones that went into decline while at the club?
De Gea? Over the past 30 years we had Schmeichel here for 8 years, Van der Sar for 6 and De Gea for 10 now. 24 years out of 30 where we've had someone who was probably top 3-5 in the world in their position for most of the duration of their career here. Thats insane, but also the standards United is used to for the position.

city-puma

I agree, I was referencing to someone alluding that DDG would have saved one of the goals from yesterday, I really think he wouldn't.
Me too really. If he did, it’s more about luck, rather than experience, predicting ability, or any of those sorts.

Bondi77

De Gea? Over the past 30 years we had Schmeichel here for 8 years, Van der Sar for 6 and De Gea for 10 now. 24 years out of 30 where we've had someone who was probably top 3-5 in the world in their position for most of the duration of their career here. Thats insane, but also the standards United is used to for the position.
I think you will find that while VDS and the Great Dane aged at the club they were not in decline and left on their own terms against the wishes of Fergie.

Status
Not open for further replies.