Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjb

He's relatively cheap, good at commanding the area and has proven to be a decent shot stopper. We don't need a world class keeper, Henderson will grow into that with his reputation increasing from simply being associated with us. He does his job and that's all you really need from a keeper. If he can stay consistent like he showed with Sheffield United, I don't see a problem.

Devil81

Time to start him this weekend, De Gea's time is up for me and its time Henderson was given the oppurtunity to grow.

AKDevil

I mean, then2 fks aren't remotely similar. Everton just about reached the box and there was flick on. Ddg comes for that fk as well I think due to the flight of it
However, United can defend free kick differently because in DH they have a keeper who will come off his line, so they leave the space accordingly.

arnie_ni

However, United can defend free kick differently because in DH they have a keeper who will come off his line, so they leave the space accordingly.
They all left the space against Everton as well except maguire playing DCL on

arnie_ni

so they didn’t all leave space.
Your missing the point. They did leave space as a deliberate tactic, a lack of concentration from maguire doesn't change that.

You can't sit here and honestly blame de gea for maguire messing up.

Blame him for not being strong enough on DCL just as he was shooting, but nothing before that was DDG fault and Henderson wouldn't have changed any of that.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He's relatively cheap, good at commanding the area and has proven to be a decent shot stopper. We don't need a world class keeper, Henderson will grow into that with his reputation increasing from simply being associated with us. He does his job and that's all you really need from a keeper. If he can stay consistent like he showed with Sheffield United, I don't see a problem.
Well, we do need one at least a top keeper. Tim Howard was a PL level keeper since he was good enough for Everton but he was never good for United. Club like Manchester United should be aiming for top keeper. I would like Dean to be given a chance but in the future or next season we need someone top class for keeper not just the one who does a job.

Caesar2290

Any top club with an ounce of ambition will bench De Gea from the next game all the way till the seasons end. City did it with Given and Hart, then Hart and Bravo/Ederson. Chelsea did it with Curtois and Cech. All of them were established GKs who were well past it.

We'll never know how good Deano can be, until he gets a run of games. Give it to Deano till the end of the season :D

Ironically people tend to have super short footballing memories. De Gea was being rotated with Lindegaard when he first arrived. After some bad, timid and uninspired performances he was benched by the Dane. Only after Lindegaard got injured, did De Gea establish himself as our No.1.

Right now it look increasingly like 2011-2012. The question is: Does Ole have the balls to bench De Gea or not. This alone should reveal if Ole has what it takes mentally to be the Manchester United manager or not.

Lyng

Any top club with an ounce of ambition will bench De Gea from the next game all the way till the seasons end. City did it with Given and Hart, then Hart and Bravo/Ederson. Chelsea did it with Curtois and Cech. All of them were established GKs who were well past it.

We'll never know how good Deano can be, until he gets a run of games. Give it to Deano till the end of the season :D

Ironically people tend to have super short footballing memories. De Gea was being rotated with Lindegaard when he first arrived. After some bad, timid and uninspired performances he was benched by the Dane. Only after Lindegaard got injured, did De Gea establish himself as our No.1.

Right now it look increasingly like 2011-2012. The question is: Does Ole have the balls to bench De Gea or not. This alone should reveal if Ole has what it takes mentally to be the Manchester United manager or not.
And De Gea came back as an absolute beast after being benched for that period.
Whether or not that will happen again is difficult to say, but Henderson needs to start for the rest of the season.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm hoping he's given a fair chance starting from the next game and hopefully he cements the spot. But if he doesn't, then I hope we target someone that is strong at commanding the box and strong at sweeping. There's a lad not far from us at Burnley who at 6'6 is described as a monster aerially and if i'm not mistaken was also excellent at playing the sweeper keeper role. Not sure about his passing ability though, due to Burnley kicking it long.

OmarUnited4ever

If Ole decides to give Henderson a chance, a run of games, something like 15+ games consecutively, then we as fans here in this forum must accept the fact that Henderson might make some errors and cost us some games, and this is part of his development, my worry is that once Henderson is given a chance, fans here will turn on him from the first error he commits (he made an error vs Sheffield away for example).

Hence, I understand why Ole is still persisting with De Gea as the No.1 man between the sticks, at the moment, the stakes are too high and Henderson might be ready to start as the No.1 yet.

But from next season, I would say Ole should seriously give him a chance to be No.1 GK in the club, and then go from there.

another issue is the fact the De Gea is the highest earner at the club, and him becoming 2nd choice goal keeper here doesn't sit well with me, and it would be better if there is an opportunity to sell him, though I doubt anyone would take him with his huge salary (probably highest paid GK in the world now and among the top 20 paid footballers in Europe)

largelyworried

If Ole decides to give Henderson a chance, a run of games, something like 15+ games consecutively, then we as fans here in this forum must accept the fact that Henderson might make some errors and cost us some games, and this is part of his development, my worry is that once Henderson is given a chance, fans here will turn on him from the first error he commits (he made an error vs Sheffield away for example).

Hence, I understand why Ole is still persisting with De Gea as the No.1 man between the sticks, at the moment, the stakes are too high and Henderson might be ready to start as the No.1 yet.

But from next season, I would say Ole should seriously give him a chance to be No.1 GK in the club, and then go from there.

another issue is the fact the De Gea is the highest earner at the club, and him becoming 2nd choice goal keeper here doesn't sit well with me, and it would be better if there is an opportunity to sell him, though I doubt anyone would take him with his huge salary (probably highest paid GK in the world now and among the top 20 paid footballers in Europe)
I think the difficulty with waiting til the summer is two fold. Firstly, De Gea is performing at a low level this season, among the worst goalkeepers in the league. So even if the mistakes stop (and to be fair there havent been that many of them) his performance level could be the difference between us, say, winning the title vs not winning it, or finishing top 4 vs finishing 5th or below. While I certainly don't blame De Gea entirely for the 5 points dropped against Sheffield and Everton (there's plenty of blame to go around for the goals conceded in those games) De Gea played his part in both debacles and a better goalkeeper could have given us all those points. So switching to Henderson now could give us a boost this season, not just long term.

The other issue is that we have the chance to buy a GK this summer if we want to. If we stick with De Gea and he doesn't see an uptick in form, then we're in a position of having to decide whether we need another GK without having seen Henderson fully in action. If we put Henderson in now and he doesn't do that well, then we can look to the market in a couple of months. If we wait til next season to give him a chance, we might be stuck with a problem goalkeeper for an entire season.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I genuinely must be missing something why are so many people saying they don't trust him etc? He's not really put a foot wrong aside from one error.
While I certainly want him to get a run of games, there's been a few things which probably make people unsure on him.

Obviously the main error where he got caught on the ball.
There was the time he got his positioning all wrong and left almost the entire goal open, but thankfully the striker was called offside.
A fairly weak moment from a corner (classic De Gea really) that we either conceded from or almost did.
And there's been once or twice where he's come out of the box to get the ball and only just managed to get there in time. On the one hand it's great that he's coming out, on the other it was so close it was very risky.

Hopefully those mistakes or almost-mistakes are just because he's only getting the occasional match, and with a run of games he'd be fine. He certainly deserves the opportunity considering De Gea's form.

Josh 76

Got play against WBA. Otherwise Alladyce will have a field day with crosses into the box at every opportunity.

laughtersassassin

DDG will start this well and the one after that and so on. But he does not deserve too.

The fact he is so passive in his box and isn't even trying to get better at it is kind of pathetic

gajender

I'm hoping he's given a fair chance starting from the next game and hopefully he cements the spot. But if he doesn't, then I hope we target someone that is strong at commanding the box and strong at sweeping. There's a lad not far from us at Burnley who at 6'6 is described as a monster aerially and if i'm not mistaken was also excellent at playing the sweeper keeper role. Not sure about his passing ability though, due to Burnley kicking it long.
How can one be excellent at playing sweeper keeper without being good at passing I am confused .

poleglass red

How can one be excellent at playing sweeper keeper without being good at passing I am confused .
haven't seen much of him to be honest, but I'd imagine the other poster is saying he's quick of his line to snuff out trouble, but once he has the ball, he hits it long as opposed to trying to play it out from the back

croadyman

I wouldn’t mind seeing him start against West Brom because let’s face it they’ll be targeting De Gea and that really gives me the fear whereas with Henderson you just know he isn’t going to get bullied so easily.

Whether Ole sees it like that though is another matter.
Yeah that is so blindingly obvious to see and if you remember DDG's first ever league game for the club was away to WBA when he got bombarded and didn't cope with it well at all. I guarantee big Sam will instruct his players to target us on set pieces particularly corners and Ole shouldn't risk it by playing Dave.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Sweeping is patrolling the space between the CBs and the goalkeeper and coming off your line to intercept balls played in the space. The passing aspect comes into play when distributing the ball in the build up phase.

Caesar2290

And De Gea came back as an absolute beast after being benched for that period.
Whether or not that will happen again is difficult to say, but Henderson needs to start for the rest of the season.
The point I was trying to make is that we never knew how good De Gea could be because he never played a consistent amount of games. Any games he had prior to Lindegaard's injury he looked even worse than he is right now.

GK rotation just doesn't work. Simply look at the Howard/Caroll or even De Gea/Lindegaard periods for confirmation. Once the number 1 is picked that's when the performances start to improve. So we cannot rotate.

We either give it to Deano till the end of the season or we sell him. The idea that we can slowly work him in, doesn't work for GKs.

gajender

Sweeping is patrolling the space between the CBs and the goalkeeper and coming off your line to intercept balls played in the space. The passing aspect comes into play when distributing the ball in the build up phase.
haven't seen much of him to be honest, but I'd imagine the other poster is saying he's quick of his line to snuff out trouble, but once he has the ball, he hits it long as opposed to trying to play it out from the back
Thanks for the reply any specific keepers who might be excellent long term bet for us if Henderson doesn't step up.

Olecurls99

Now is the time to give him his chance. De Gea has been an average keeper for at least 3 years now with no signs of improving. If we continue with De Gea he'll continue to cost us points so there's nothing to lose by changing it now.

Let's see if Henderson can be our man.

OleGunnar20

Now is the time to give him his chance. De Gea has been an average keeper for at least 3 years now with no signs of improving. If we continue with De Gea he'll continue to cost us points so there's nothing to lose by changing it now.

Let's see if Henderson can be our man.
Agreed, but I dont think Ole will do it.

I do wonder what his plan was with regards to bringing Dean home. He'd surely have been better served at Sheffield for another season while we wouldn't have lost out by having Romero in his place.

Strange really.

SAFMUTD

Hope he plays, but most certainly he wont. I think the transition, if its going to happen, will be made in a summer not at halfway season.

Dearg hÉireann

I hope that Ole shows some Cojones and benches DDG, he's been average at best for over 2 years now so at what point does he get taken out of the team if not now after another high profile mistake.

I'm not that confident that he will start Henderson though, Ole just doesn't have the killer instinct as a coach that he had as a player.

He's constantly giving players too many chances (martial springs to mind here)

Who knows if Henderson is good enough long term but we'll never know if we don't give him a shot. DDG is certainly not going through improve from here so let's cut our losses and make the necessary change.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
My only hope is that if he plays the Real Sociedad matches (as he surely will) he will have played 3 matches out of 5. Hopefully Ole is waiting for him to get that little run of games and, if he performs, install him as first choice after that.

Unfortunately I doubt it. Especially as our next four league games after that is Chelsea, Man City, West Ham and Leicester. Not exactly a great run of games to be changing your keeper in.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
It seems like even if DDG voluntarily starts scoring OGs, Henderson won't get his chance.

Caesar2290

Henderson is a classic example of how mismanaged our club is by both Ole and Woodaward. Though for me, Ole has to take most of the blame on this one.

During the summer Deano was assured that he would get his chance to shine aka challenge DDG for the No.1 spot. The man decided to stay instead of going on loan and gaining valuable experience. Woody handed him a new deal worth 100k solidifying the fact that we view Deano as a potential No.1. Romero was moved to No.3.

As things stand right now DDG can't be dropped. Deano is de facto playing the Romero role and I can imagine he must be really unhappy at the lack of chances he gets. Also we're stifiling his growth since young GKs need to play as much as possible in order to fully develop.

Romero wants to leave which is to be expected since he plays for Argentina and needs game time.

So as things stand, we might lose both Dean and Romero in the next 1.5 years. Amazing, simply amazing. What makes this even more amazing is that we're going to be stuck with a past it keeper on Sanchez like wages. Cue the Benny Hill theme

Real Sociedad 0:4 Man Utd

laughtersassassin

Dean Henderson was brilliant.

That game is different with De Gea in goal not claiming crosses or distributing.

It's seriously time for Henderson to get a run.

He won't of course but it's potentially costing us points

Nothing to do but commanding, came for every loose ball, great handling, confident and he has been working on his distribution, put a lovely Ederson-esque ball over the top for Bruno.

Needs to start the next 5/10 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.