Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

mu4c_20le

We need to be patient with him. Enough with the kneejerking either way, last time he made a mistake and we dropped points he got slaughtered.

MU655

Thought his distribution looked good tonight. One to Bruno, one to Martial, and another to someone else.

Looks a bit more dominant and commanding. I would like to see him given some Premier League games and see how he does.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Far more assured than his early season performances. I'd roll the dice at the weekend if I was Ole.

Litch

Thought his distribution looked good tonight. One to Bruno, one to Martial, and another to someone else.

Looks a bit more dominant and commanding. I would like to see him given some Premier League games and see how he does.
Agree...Dominant and Commanding. He's much better in his box and his positioning also. He will come through players to punch the ball. Much more braver than DDG..

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
No that happened, he looked comfortable doing it

Our third goal happens due to his anticipation for their cross.
May seem harsh on ddg but I can't remember the last goal he started for us like that. Seems like ages ago (waiting for somebody to say a few games ago haha)
Yeah, said that live in the matchday thread... that goal probably doesn't happen with De Gea as he wouldn't be that far off his line to make the catch and so, make the quick throw to Fred.
Loved how he decided to just pass it long when our defence started the usual pissing about when playing from the back routine, and it was pretty good.

Just looks much more assured with him and Baily both in there, a GK who is not rooted to his line and a CB with great pace.
I saw that. Maguire too close, Sociedad pressing and he just thought "don't piss about. Kick it" (but with some thought behind it).

Little things but defence looked more calm and that's a big part of being a goalie (as are top saves De Gea makes).

If Henderson has a run and makes the big saves as well as the other stuff, has to be no.1.. you've got to reward players in form.

Caesar2290

We need to be patient with him. Enough with the kneejerking either way, last time he made a mistake and we dropped points he got slaughtered.
Goalkeepers are a bit different than your average player. You either throw them in deep or you don't play them at all. Their game is all about momentum. Ironically DDG is a prime example of this.

When he first arrived he was "eased in". The only thing it did is shatter his confidence due to the constant rotation. Not until Lindegaard got injured he started playing back to back games did we see prime DDG emerge.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
I think and believe David is still our best keeper, and I fully understand why Ole picks him for the big games against big teams but at the moment Deano keeps clean sheets, David doesn’t. Would like to see him in the league and see if he can do it there too.

Redlyn

It's so weird to see our goal keeper regularly come out and affect the ball. A clean catch, solid punch etc. It just looks strange, yet pleasing.

After he helped set up rashys goal he looked so proud.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Would really like to see him given a run to see how he gets on, but no chance of that happening.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I don't particularly care if De Gea is currently better than Henderson, I still want Henderson to get a good run of games. One way or another, we have to see how good he is.

mu4c_20le

Goalkeepers are a bit different than your average player. You either throw them in deep or you don't play them at all. Their game is all about momentum. Ironically DDG is a prime example of this.
I'm less concerned about playing time, i'm sure he'll get his chances, but more about how people are hyping him up to high heaven as well as their own expectations. He's still very young for a keeper, he'll make mistakes every now and then, hopefully people won't melt down again and think about selling him.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I feel a lot more confident with him in net these days. He might not be as good of a shot stopper. But he feels WAY more confident on crosses, corners, high balls, and isn't afraid to throw himself in the thick of the action to get to the ball. De Gea just doesn't do those things anymore. The communication and assertiveness we get from Henderson is a big plus.

I know for the rest of the season it'll likely be De Gea starting in the league, but there's no question to me, should be Henderson next season as the #1. Give him the season, see how he takes his chance as the main goalkeeper. If he turns out to be average, then so be it. But he needs to be given the #1 role next season as he's shown enough to get the chance in the first place.

Red_toad

Does all the things Dave struggles with very well. Looked very assured, very good distribution, talked to his defenders and came off his line when required. He needs to play more often, he's wasted sat on the bench.

Mr Smith

His bravery in coming out for crosses makes a big difference. I think it's time to play him in the league.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Not that he made so many amazing saves tonight, but to have a keeper that shouts, comes of his fecking line and knows how to kick was really refreshing.

DDG is going to start on Sunday and i fecking hate it because Deano deserves that spot

Caesar2290

I'm less concerned about playing time, i'm sure he'll get his chances, but more about how people are hyping him up to high heaven as well as their own expectations. He's still very young for a keeper, he'll make mistakes every now and then, hopefully people won't melt down again and think about selling him.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. He's not the first player to be overhyped by the fans, and he certainly won't be the last. This whole boom bust cycle is part of any young player's career. Just look at Greenwood, Rashford or even a certain one trick pony name Cristiano Ronaldo :D

Personally I think how you handle fan expectations and the pressure is 50% of your success here. And I think Deano has that covered, the man exudes confidence, especially for his age.

One thing that has me worried though is right now the manager isn't willing to drop under performing players(looking at DDG). So the message that Deano might get is that if he makes it to the top, he made it. He won't be dropped no matter what and complacency will set in. Right now we need to set an example that if you're not going to perform, then better get used to the bench. Just like it used to be under SAF.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Very solid performance. He clearly talks and commands far better than De Gea and frankly I think that will prevent more goals than the odd wonder save. Was also really impressed with his distribution. He perhaps doesn’t look as technically sound as Dave but I thought the accuracy and distance on his kicks was far better and started some dangerous attacks which is something top keepers have in the locker. Promising but he needs a run with Ole won’t give him.
This is a point that so many people don't understand. I would rather have a keeper who prevents the chance from ever happening than the keeper who says or does nothing but makes the odd worldy save. The "experts" will tell us that it's all about Bailly joing Maguire instead of Lindelof (which is part of it), but having a keeper who will collect balls in the air rather than depending on defenders to win 10/10 aerial battles is a huge difference maker...

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Not that he made so many amazing saves tonight, but to have a keeper that shouts, comes of his fecking line and knows how to kick was really refreshing.

DDG is going to start on Sunday and i fecking hate it because Deano deserves that spot
There was no real threat at goal tonight. Guaranteed that had De Gea been in goal, there would have. Henderson came for balls that De Gea never would've...

Foxbatt

He had great game. He also takes his defenders out if he has to. That is the first priority. Stop conceding a goal and to heck with the defenders. If they get clobbered that is part of the game. He kicks better than DeGea too and is also a lot more vocal. Being vocal helps his defence. He need to play regularly and he can be a better player than DeGea now. Is he going to make mistakes? Obviously. But the more he plays the better grove he is going to be in, the better he will become.
He needs to play in the PL and Ole needs to give him the chance at least for a few games.

gazbradley

Watched the game without crowd noise and loved how clear I could hear his instructions so must be great to play in front of. He looks like he knows now his chance to make a claim for the no1 shirt and seems to be relishing in it. I think he deserves the opportunity to start in a run of games and see how he does might even give de gea a kick up the arse to work on a few areas

Welbeckham

Should be #1. Because he’s an actual goalkeeper, not a coward that sticks to his line and couldn’t catch a cold when it matters.

croadyman

It's so weird to see our goal keeper regularly come out and affect the ball. A clean catch, solid punch etc. It just looks strange, yet pleasing.

Yeah was a little reminiscent of Ederson's reaction after his assist against Spurs, however the difference being that we had a pass in the middle rather than a straight pick out like he did

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
The "experts" over on YouTube will give Henderson a 6/10 tonight because he didn't really have to make any saves. Those of us who actually know the position also know that a great keeper is proactive and stops scoring chances before they come. We could hear Henderson controlling his defense and he came for balls that De Gea would have stuck on his line for. Solid, confident performance and deserves to play some more...
Well said, you could hear him clearly.

dpansheth

So weird that our expectations are lowered to such an extent, very nice to see for a change that GK is doing what he’s supposed to do. Posted the same thing in match day thread, I want to see him given a run.

tomaldinho1

It's a basic GK skill we never see, it's weird to actually have a keeper who is on his toes and wants to come for crosses. Flashbacks to when VDS or Big Pete would latch onto anything in their vicinity.

croadyman

I just don't know how he is going to ever win Ole's trust in the Premier League

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
I feel a lot more confident with him in net these days. He might not be as good of a shot stopper. But he feels WAY more confident on crosses, corners, high balls, and isn't afraid to throw himself in the thick of the action to get to the ball. De Gea just doesn't do those things anymore. The communication and assertiveness we get from Henderson is a big plus.

I know for the rest of the season it'll likely be De Gea starting in the league, but there's no question to me, should be Henderson next season as the #1. Give him the season, see how he takes his chance as the main goalkeeper. If he turns out to be average, then so be it. But he needs to be given the #1 role next season as he's shown enough to get the chance in the first place.
2 out of 5 shots on target in the Premier League against Dave results in a goal this season so not even sure that's right

Wanderlust_09

It was so good to see him coming out of the line and leaping to claim the ball.
He also seems to have very good positional awareness of the outfield players. The way he made a save, immediately came out and threw it straight to Fred which eventually lead to our 3rd goal was a thing of beauty.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
People will totally melt down and DEMAND we sell him if he has a poor game or makes an error. Likewise DDG could easily be considered world class again if he has a decent run of clean sheets. Never any context applied. :houllier:

Eternitiy

He MUST be our first choice no matter the cost or consequence.

De Gea's time is over. Thank you and goodbye.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I really like this guy and feel there is a significant difference when he plays. Haven't seen enough of him yet to know whether he is out longterm goalkeeper but I have seen enough of him and De Gea currently to know he should be our current number one. Issue being dropping De Gea with the wages he is on.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The fact that Henderson will make mistakes when he starts his matches (especially in the PL) actually makes me happy.

He is the type of goalkeeper that will get better with age and experience.

Its actually something I want to see from him, be a goalkeeper that makes mistakes and learn from them - because if we do; what we get is a well rounded goalkeeper that doesnt make mistakes.

That's what makes a great goalkeeper.

criticalanalysis

His bravery in coming out for crosses makes a big difference. I think it's time to play him in the league.
The tragic thing is that we're so used to De Gea's lack of command in the penalty box we'd call Romero and Henderson 'brave' for daring to actually go beyond the 6 yard box!

I'm not downplaying Henderson's performance but the aerial stuff is standard goalkeeping. I mean he's not exactly going one-vs-three Andy Carrolls!

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
If it was truly about form/performances, he starts above De Gea this weekend.

It's not though.

Water Melon

Our defenders must feel much more confident with Deano in goal. Solid performance, clean sheet, deserves to start against the magpies.

Status
Not open for further replies.