Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

bondsname

We are pretty good at giving away corners and free-kicks when defending a narrow lead at the closing minutes. Just for that reason alone I’d rather play Henderson than De Gea.

caid

To be honest i think De Gea's time with us is up. Throw Henderson in for the rest of the season and see how he does. Even if he isn't 100% ready having some idea of how close or far he is would be useful. I dont think theres a question as to De Gea's level at this stage.

Sylar

Goal keepers tend to make mistakes, they all do, but it's how you bounce back that is important

Henderson will make a mistake but it might be better to let him play through the remainder of this season and sort it out. Get the games and feeling of being in goal and be ready for next season.

I reckon he will cost us much less than ddg would

rollingstoned1

You've got to think he deserves some sort of a long run now. Luckily we can afford to take a temporary hit on ddg's wages before he decides to pull his finger out the next chance he gets.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
The fact that Henderson will make mistakes when he starts his matches (especially in the PL) actually makes me happy.

He is the type of goalkeeper that will get better with age and experience.

Its actually something I want to see from him, be a goalkeeper that makes mistakes and learn from them - because if we do; what we get is a well rounded goalkeeper that doesnt make mistakes.

That's what makes a great goalkeeper.
It seems obvious now is the time to get him his game time to gain some experience rather than start with next season. Hopefully he can settle by then because De Gea is surely done.

This season we're pretty safe in the EPL, I'm not even getting very excited for the games. Hope Henderson plays from now on.

Longshanks

He deserves a run in the side, he looks much more settled now early season he looked a bit nervous and erratic when he played.

He clearly commands his area better, is more willing to rush out and has better distribution than De Gea he will probably get caught out when rushing out a few times but I dont mind that as long as he is being assertive and it pays of for him more than it doesn't.

abailey123

A good defence is built on a keeper who is commanding. Henderson seems to command his area, distributes excellently and seems a natural leader.
It’s only a matter of time before he’s our number 1.

Lentwood

We’re creating not just one but three problems for ourselves by not giving Henderson an extended run sooner rather than later.

1) We are dropping points due to DDG

2) It takes any GK time to bed in and get settled, so if we don’t give Henderson a run now, whilst the team is still a work in progress generally, we’re just increasing the pressure on him to perform when he’s thrown in and it might really matter.

3) It’s obvious to every man and his dog that De Gea is finished. So what we now need to do is workout who plays in goal next season. If Henderson is poor between now and the end of this season, we know we desperately need a GK, even if its a stop-gap. If we wait until next season to try Henderson properly, we might have another season with a sub-standard GK.

Basically, I can’t think of any logical reason now not to play Henderson until the end of the season.

Solskjaer can't put him on the bench against Newcastle.
yes he can, and it’s not a bad thing.

furthermore, I’m not against it. We have a long way until the end of the season, that manager has to manger both keepers.

dropping DDG, and bringing in Henderson ‘for a run of games’ is risky, if the latter makes a couple of errors, then we have two keepers on the back foot.

At the moment we have two keepers both pushing each other.

We need to have patience.

DCP

He claimed or punched so many balls that DDG would leave to the defence to clear. Straight away making us better.
DDG was/is a great shot stopper - but at this time the confidence that Henderson gives the defence in the air and his distribution is what’s needed.

Parma Dewol

Though I'd like to see him continue, I do get the feeling he'll be back on the bench on Sunday. Still, it's surely only a matter of time before he does get an extended run in the starting 11.

When he does get his chance I hope he gets the support he'll need. Can't think of a tougher position to fill than the goalkeeper spot at Man Utd. We've had plenty of mishaps in this department over the years, and with the amount of pressure he'll be under, Henderson's bound to make mistakes. We'll need to stand by him - as we did with De Gea in his early days - and give him time to mature into the role.

That isn't to say Henderson's the answer - it could go either way - but what I mean is we'll have to judge him over the course of a season, as opposed to a few games. Personally, I'm hopeful and think he could be the missing piece to our entire defence.

Skåre Willoch

It was very nice actually having a goalie who left his line regularly to clean up those in-between the lines crosses. Very vocal as well, almost to the extent of feeling weird with no fans in the stands. Proper shouting! :lol: He almost had an assist, and did get a "hockey assist" (being third last on the ball) didn't he?

Raw

I think we've missed a very good set of fixtures for him to have a run in the side. The last 9 games we had Fulham, Liverpool (FA Cup), Sheffield Utd, Arsenal, Southampton, Everton, West Ham (FA Cup), West Brom and Real Sociedad. Then we've got Newcastle next. That's 10 games he could have bedded himself into, with a good mix of easy and difficult (but not too difficult) fixtures. He did play 3 of those in fairness, but the Sheffield Utd and West Brom games would have been easy enough for him, and he really couldn't have done any worse than De Gea did in some of those games.

After that the games get tougher, and Ole will want to opt for the more experienced De Gea. If Henderson had that run of games, he may have proved himself and may have been trusted to play the more difficult games.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
I need more time to see how his shot-stopping ability is though.
It's not prime De Gea good but it's very very good. Ask a Sheffield United fan. It's probably the one area of a goalkeepers game you can in YouTube.

He gets the ball away from goal well, almost scoops it if he can. That might affect his reach on some shots but he seems to make the right decision as to when to scoop it away and when to just get an arm to it. But he always seems to get it away. Great reflexes and athleticism. Moves his feet very quickly and gets up very quickly too. Brave as well.

markhughes

I like Henderson for sure, he has mistakes in him but he is very decisive which is good to see.

What happened to the days of having 6ft 6 goalkeepers that would truly dominate anything in the air? Maybe it’s because we have an obsession these days with goalkeepers being great with their feet?

What I would give for us to have a tall, commanding goalkeeper, it would make all the difference in my opinion.

Reactions: golden_blunder

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
yes he can, and it’s not a bad thing.

furthermore, I’m not against it. We have a long way until the end of the season, that manager has to manger both keepers.

dropping DDG, and bringing in Henderson ‘for a run of games’ is risky, if the latter makes a couple of errors, then we have two keepers on the back foot.

At the moment we have two keepers both pushing each other.

We need to have patience.
I see where you're coming from and it's not a bad point, but I think the patience for de Gea has worn thin, he's been playing poorly for too long for my taste. I don't think the solution to the problem is continuing to play an out of form keeper who's already costing us points.

Keepers, like any position, need a run of games to get into form and we're not really affording Henderson the chance to play himself into form. There's no harm in playing him against Newcastle, we know Bruce will likely target de Gea from set pieces like every team has been doing, at a certain point you just have to say enough is enough.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
It's a tradeoff when it comes to who we stick in net. I think i'd sacrifice De Gea's reflexes/shot stopping ability for Henderson's ability to command his defence/area and generally not flap every time a ball comes near the six yard box. At least for the next few months, anyway. Henderson looks hungry, De Gea looks past it. Hopefully Ole is brave enough to give him a shot for a run of games to see whether he can sustain it.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He should be our #1. Yes De Gea has been excellent player for us for number of years but IMO his time is up and we should move on. Henderson leaves the line quickly and also comes out to collect/punch crosses, which makes defenders life much easier.

Hopefully he will get plenty of chances this season.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Henderson in net for a while with Bailly and Maguire at the back will surely sure up our leaky defence

Idxomer

De Gea hasn't been a great shot-stopper in a while, he has the occasional world-class saves but let in so many goals he would've gotten to 3 years ago.

I don't see many pros to keep starting De Gea currently and Henderson has the experience of playing a full league campaign.

OleGunnar20

We’re creating not just one but three problems for ourselves by not giving Henderson an extended run sooner rather than later.

1) We are dropping points due to DDG

2) It takes any GK time to bed in and get settled, so if we don’t give Henderson a run now, whilst the team is still a work in progress generally, we’re just increasing the pressure on him to perform when he’s thrown in and it might really matter.

3) It’s obvious to every man and his dog that De Gea is finished. So what we now need to do is workout who plays in goal next season. If Henderson is poor between now and the end of this season, we know we desperately need a GK, even if its a stop-gap. If we wait until next season to try Henderson properly, we might have another season with a sub-standard GK.

Basically, I can’t think of any logical reason now not to play Henderson until the end of the season.
Henderson in net for a while with Bailly and Maguire at the back will surely sure up our leaky defence
About sums it up I reckon. I'm sure Ole will revert to DDG for a while to come yet, but the tide certainly seems to be changing.

I'd give it Hendo for the rest of the season personally. I think we'd do better in the short term and also find out whether hes likely good enough in the long.

dbs235

I'd love for him to be ours and England's number 1 for the next 10 years.

eire-red

He set us on our way a couple times last night with his distribution, and Bruno running deep from midfield in behind. Happened against West Ham too, so clearly something we know Henderson has in his locker with those long and accurate clearances.

I feel like I've said this time and time again, but I really don't see the negatives in giving him an extended run between now and the end of the season? Not sure why Ole seems convinced to keep putting his faith in DDG. 2 seasons now of consistent decline.

sugar_kane

I'm warming to the guy, he seemed a bit of a gobby git off the pitch at first without actually backing it up when he was selected, but I think he's got the mentality which De Gea sorely lacks and is now backing it up with solid performances.

I'd like to see him get a few more league games, but I think it's still sensible to keep him grounded for this season at least.

DoomSlayer

It's a tradeoff when it comes to who we stick in net. I think i'd sacrifice De Gea's reflexes/shot stopping ability for Henderson's ability to command his defence/area and generally not flap every time a ball comes near the six yard box. At least for the next few months, anyway. Henderson looks hungry, De Gea looks past it. Hopefully Ole is brave enough to give him a shot for a run of games to see whether he can sustain it.
What shot-stopping ability is left in De Gea? The guy has the second worst shot-stopping % of all regular PL keepers, he is finished.

This myth has to die, DDG is registering stats that would put him in the top 3/5 worst goalies in the league.

Ole must be stupid or scared to not make Dean the number 1. Of course I'm backing the manager, but decisions like this one baffle me.

wolvored

I like Henderson for sure, he has mistakes in him but he is very decisive which is good to see.

What happened to the days of having 6ft 6 goalkeepers that would truly dominate anything in the air? Maybe it’s because we have an obsession these days with goalkeepers being great with their feet?

What I would give for us to have a tall, commanding goalkeeper, it would make all the difference in my opinion.
Schmeichel said at one of the World Cups think it was 2010 that the balls are lighter now and swerve more and he would have punched these balls more as its harder to catch.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Really needs a run in the team. I have zero confidence with DDG in goal. We invite so much pressure with DDG in goal because he doesn’t claim anything just stays rooted to his line and the defence are all over the place

wolvored

De Gea will never get any better than he is now and thats down from his peak 3 years ago. Its time to move him on as he wont accept being No 2. If we could get 15 mill we ought to take it. Let Henderson have the rest of the season to see if he is good enough to be No 1.

macheda14

The ting with Henderson is he might make mistakes because he's young and learning (or he may just be one of those keepers), but right now we'd just be replacing De Gea's mistakes with Dean's. So there is no harm in trying him out if we want to go for a keeper who is more commanding in the box and seems to be a better distributor of the ball.

GueRed

We know he is a great shot stopper on his line he showed that at Sheffield United.

Hopefully he is the goalie who will command the box.

De Gea is poor off his line

markhughes

Schmeichel said at one of the World Cups think it was 2010 that the balls are lighter now and swerve more and he would have punched these balls more as its harder to catch.
Yeah, I have no doubt that is true, I don't have an issue with goalkeepers punching the ball at all, I mainly want them to be decisive, strong, and commanding in the air. Vocal leadership is important too, of course, it just settles down the entire defence in my opinion when you have a keeper of this nature.

izec

That isnt really a tradeoff now. This version of De Gea isnt that much better reflex wise than the younger Dean, who has some good reflexes as well.
De Gea is not getting better either. Peak De Gea yes, but current De Gea is not better at anything to having a real tradeoff, except having more fans due to his past achievements. Looking forward, that isn't important if there is someone better to take over

Eternitiy

Give this guy a run of games, come the feck on, what can we lose here?
Ole's pride. I think it is very difficult for him to admit he is wrong about a player. His favourites will always prevail regardless of form or ability.

I feel for Henderson. He is doing everything right. Deserves his opportunity 100%.

Status
Not open for further replies.