6.2 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ole's pride. I think it is very difficult for him to admit he is wrong about a player. His favourites will always prevail regardless of form or ability.

I feel for Henderson. He is doing everything right. Deserves his opportunity 100%.
utterly ridiculous comment. “Pride”. Come on. Get a grip.

Foxbatt

I hope he gets the chance to play in the PL now. He is good enough to play for a PL team so let him take his chances.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I'd love for him to come in now, but I can also understand why Ole would carry on with DDG and mixing in Henderson for the Europa and fa cup.

Next season it should be the other way around in my opinion, let Henderson take the league and CL and give DDG the cups as its unlikely we'll be able to shift him.

Man Utd 0:0 Real Sociedad

NinjaFletch

That bit of goalkeeping in the 93rd minute was a piece of piss but I bet every single one of us thought 'De Gea wouldn't have done that'

The standards are absolutely in the toilet.

Idxomer

That bit of goalkeeping in the 93rd minute was a piece of piss but I bet every single one of us thought 'De Gea wouldn't have done that'

It's nothing special but we've been starved of any commanding in the box the last 10 years.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
Surprised this thread isn't busier.

Thought he was great. Vocal and organised the defence, managed his box and should be number 1.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
No doubt he is much more commanding than De Gea. I have doubts about his shot stopping abilities but it might be lack of regular game time. Seems to spill the ball after rather easy shots quite often.

He still inspires me with much more confidence than De Gea.

Caesar2290

You do know that you're comparing a rookie who barely played all season to a World Class GK right?

Given time Henderson will iron out his kinks. I can't say the same for DDG.

Nothing new. Ole will continue to ignore him, though. Upsetting situation.
It's stuff like this that I don't understand. The fact that Woody give him 100k and Ole was against his loan would indicate that we plan to make him a regular. But then we just play him in the odd cup game. Wouldn't it make more sense just to loan him out again?

utterly ridiculous comment. “Pride”. Come on. Get a grip.
So what do you think is the reason Ole doesn't want him to play? I mean DDG used to be good, but it's clear to everyone and their dog at this point that his past it. Ole persisting with him goes against everything we used to do under SAF.

NinjaFletch

You do know that you're comparing a rookie who barely played all season to a World Class GK right?

Given time Henderson will iron out his kinks. I can't say the same for DDG.
It wasn't a criticism of Henderson, it was a criticism of the standards that De Gea has set and the fact that it's bizarrely tolerated by the club.

Caesar2290

It wasn't a criticism of Henderson, it was a criticism of the standards that De Gea has set and the fact that it's bizarrely tolerated by the club.
My bad. Sadly it's not just the GK standards. Mediocrity is being tolerated all over the team. From top to bottom sadly.

NinjaFletch

My bad. Sadly it's not just the GK standards. Mediocrity is being tolerated all over the team. From top to bottom sadly.
Nah it was shitty wording on my part. Your interpretation was completely reasonable. I do think Ole has demanded more of some of our coasters, but he's got a big decision to make here.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Surprised this thread isn't busier.

Thought he was great. Vocal and organised the defence, managed his box and should be number 1.
Very good when coming out to catch the ball, really bawls out his orders, so all the defenders get out of his way. I've seen De Gea collide with one of his own defenders on several occasions.
I hope he gets a run of games, so we can see him grow into the position. Unfortunately the very first mistake he makes will get the 'not good enough, sell him' posters out of the woodwork. I remember when De Gea first came into the team, he was very poor coming for crosses, and decision making, and relied on his fantastic reflexes, which have just started to wane a little. He did improve, and was argueably the best keeper in the world for about three seasons, but now I think he's lost that edge.

reddevil702

Must have watched the wrong match today because he didn’t do anything today. Reading some of the post you’d think he had some world class performance.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
You'd love to be a fly on the wall and see who the defenders would rather play in front of, bet all of them would say Henderson (unless they see him drop clangers in training every day of course)

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Must have watched the wrong match today because he didn’t do anything today. Reading some of the post you’d think he had some world class performance.
He's having Romero syndrome of getting clean sheets for fun without doing much. Nice trait for a goalie tbf. Doesn't look like shitting himself when he starts and seems to be a commanding type so I'll give him that. Still unknown whether he's good enough 'for where we want to be' but can't complain so far.

criticalanalysis

Surprised there's no comments about his 'part' in the penalty.

Not saying he should take full credit for that miss but he did well not to commit and make the taker use the very last milisecond of that hop to make the connection with the ball i.e it made it a much more awkward technique.

Sylar

Not saying he should take full credit for that miss but he did well not to commit and make the taker use the very last milisecond of that hop to make the connection with the ball i.e it made it a much more awkward technique.
Ddg definitely dives out the way :lol:

I think part of this is because Henderson comes to claim crosses which we've seen plenty of times ddg doesn't
This means we aren't relying on our defenders to win 100% of every aerial battle

Simplistic things like being clearly vocal and trying to command the box makes some excited because it's what has been frustratingly missing for a while

Ddg got away with it when he was pulling of point blank saves. However he's not doing that and added to some of the clangers, it makes it worse.

Henderson needs a run of games and I really thought the Newcastle game was the right one to play him in within the league. It would have meant three games in a row (back to back to back) and shown us how he handles it

I expect him to play next round along with the Leicester Cup match but he needs a few league games in there too

Very good when coming out to catch the ball, really bawls out his orders, so all the defenders get out of his way. I've seen De Gea collide with one of his own defenders on several occasions.
I hope he gets a run of games, so we can see him grow into the position. Unfortunately the very first mistake he makes will get the 'not good enough, sell him' posters out of the woodwork. I remember when De Gea first came into the team, he was very poor coming for crosses, and decision making, and relied on his fantastic reflexes, which have just started to wane a little. He did improve, and was argueably the best keeper in the world for about three seasons, but now I think he's lost that edge.
except he’s already made a massive mistake this season. Which in hindsight is no bad thing at all.

Clearly it’s been quickly forgotten...

He recovered well from that.

Sylar

except he’s already made a massive mistake this season. Which in hindsight is no bad thing at all.

Clearly it’s been quickly forgotten...

He recovered well from that.
Yep, every keeper makes a mistake
Even Schmeichel and vds made big ones but they never let it affect them majorly
(Schmeichel at times would blame Bruce and pallister for his mistakes :lol:)

His mistake came in his first league start vs Sheffield United right? Basically within a few minutes and we moved on from that quite well.

Yep, every keeper makes a mistake
Even Schmeichel and vds made big ones but they never let it affect them majorly
(Schmeichel at times would blame Bruce and pallister for his mistakes :lol:)

His mistake came in his first league start vs Sheffield United right? Basically within a few minutes and we moved on from that quite well.
which was a big test of his mentality. The likes of Foster and Howard were very talented keepers, but couldn’t cope with the pressure and the scrutiny.

he’s been quite fortunate. As have many players this season with no crowds this season.

Sylar

which was a big test of his mentality. The likes of Foster and Howard were very talented keepers, but couldn’t cope with the pressure and the scrutiny.

he’s been quite fortunate. As have many players this season with no crowds this season.
That's also another reason why I think we should have seen Henderson get more games. I think it was the perfect opportunity with no opposition crowds to try and get under his skin if he did make a mistake

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
No doubt he is much more commanding than De Gea. I have doubts about his shot stopping abilities but it might be lack of regular game time. Seems to spill the ball after rather easy shots quite often.

He still inspires me with much more confidence than De Gea.
His shot stopping seemed alright enough last season when he was SU's #1. He might not have the freakish ability De Gea used to display regularly, but he's a good shot stopper.

Sylar

His shot stopping seemed alright enough last season when he was SU's #1. He might not have the freakish ability De Gea used to display regularly, but he's a good shot stopper.
Agree

Also Needing to pull out miracle save after save can be negated by commanding your box, helping to organise the defence in front of you and positioning as well. (Not all the time but a lot of the time)
If he comes to claim a cross or punch it away, it stops
A) the defender needing to always win a header
B) if the defender loses the ball, the need to make a point blank save

Red_toad

We don’t need Dave of a long time ago to save our bacon with numerous brilliant saves every week. What we need now is a keeper who helps his defenders on crosses and dead ball situations, generally someone who commands his area, then someone who has decent distribution. Henderson looks to be the better of the 2 in those areas. Finding it odd its being said he’s not a good shot stopper? He was very good at Sheff U and has hardly been called on for us so far.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Agree

Also Needing to pull out miracle save after save can be negated by commanding your box, helping to organise the defence in front of you and positioning as well. (Not all the time but a lot of the time)
If he comes to claim a cross or punch it away, it stops
A) the defender needing to always win a header
B) if the defender loses the ball, the need to make a point blank save
Tbh I think people are really exaggering how "commanding" he is. Not saying he isn't, I just don't think we've seen much of it at United yet.

That being said, I mentioned in the other thread yesterday, when he claimed that cross on the 93rd minute I cheered it like a goal. I don't think it's any exaggeration to say that De Gea 100% does not come for that. It was nothing special from Henderson, but we're just so used to De Gea leaving that to the defenders, and unfortunately we're very used to seeing the ball fly into the net at point blank range.

Tbh I think criticism of Ole is over the top (not unusual for this place tbf). I personally think Ole sees him as our next #1, but he's being careful. I thought Henderson would strut back to United this season with his dick out following his excellent season last season, but actually the reality was he seemed really really nervous on his first couple of appearances. As a result, I just think Ole is being careful in making sure he doesn't throw him in and destroy his confidence (like he'd have seen first hand as a player when we were trying to replace Schmeichel)

SirAF

Ageist

This. I LOVED Tim Howard, but unfortunately he just didn't have *it* to be a United #1.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Then you were. Just because he didn't have to make any fantastic saves doesn't mean he didn't play well. His catching, passing, and vocal command of his area were very good. He didn't have a lot of pressure on him today though.
But as I've said before, we need to see him in a run of games against Prem opposition so he can be put under pressure to see how he reacts.

Sylar

Tbh I think people are really exaggering how "commanding" he is. Not saying he isn't, I just don't think we've seen much of it at United yet.
Maybe. As ive said before, i think the comparison to DDG just makes it seem like a huge upgrade in that department.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town

That being said, I mentioned in the other thread yesterday, when he claimed that cross on the 93rd minute I cheered it like a goal. I don't think it's any exaggeration to say that De Gea 100% does not come for that. It was nothing special from Henderson, but we're just so used to De Gea leaving that to the defenders, and unfortunately we're very used to seeing the ball fly into the net at point blank range.

Tbh I think criticism of Ole is over the top (not unusual for this place tbf). I personally think Ole sees him as our next #1, but he's being careful. I thought Henderson would strut back to United this season with his dick out following his excellent season last season, but actually the reality was he seemed really really nervous on his first couple of appearances. As a result, I just think Ole is being careful in making sure he doesn't throw him in and destroy his confidence (like he'd have seen first hand as a player when we were trying to replace Schmeichel)
Yes, some excellent points there, and Ole will always get slated whatever he does, because he's not classed as a top coach/manager, but he's the one having to make the difficult decisions, and manage the players, injuries and integrating the academy lads, not some keyboard warrior, who can say whatever they want, pick whatever team they want, and never be wrong.
I think the 'commanding' bit is possibly a bit overused, as you say, but we are seeing a keeper who regards the penalty area as his domain, and with him getting more matches, especially in the Prem, then we may see a keeper who is more akin to Schmeichel, and ordering his defenders around, mind you, it will take sometime before he starts doing that I believe, but there are signs.
All in all, I'm more confident with Henderson (and Bailly) in the team than not.

largelyworried

Its easy to read too much into these things, but if you watch the pen, the way Henderson crouches last second but doesn't actually dive when the guy does his hop really appears to put the penalty taker off his stride. Maybe I'm being over generous, but either way, Henderson did the right thing there.

Brightonian

The overexcitement in here. Don't get me wrong, I'd hope to see him as #1 next season. But he didn't actually have to do squat in this game, we utterly dominated it and for long spells Sociedad weren't even that interested.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Maybe. As ive said before, i think the comparison to DDG just makes it seem like a huge upgrade in that department.
Yep but the danger is that it places unrealistic expectations on Henderson, which is just setting him up to disappoint if he does become #1.

I've seen people say "Henderson would have claimed that" about crosses I've absolutely seen Henderson leave to his CBs when playing for Sheffield United. If people start imagining he's some sort of god in this respect just because De Gea isn't then they'll be disappointed.

Same things with the impact they imagine he'll have on set-pieces. We saw that illustrated perfectly in the game against Southampton where De Gea got injured. While De Gea was on the pitch people were complaining that he was staying on his line for corners in a way Henderson wouldn't, then Henderson comes on and does exactly the same thing. They have it in their head that he's commanding, so every incident where De Gea isn't becomes one where Henderson would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.