Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylar

Yep but the danger is that it places unrealistic expectations on Henderson, which is just setting him up to disappoint if he does become #1.

I've seen people say "Henderson would have claimed that" about crosses I've absolutely seen Henderson leave to his CBs when playing for Sheffield United. If people start imagining he's some sort of god in this respect just because De Gea isn't then they'll be disappointed.

Same things with the impact they imagine he'll have on set-pieces. We saw that illustrated perfectly in the game against Southampton where De Gea got injured. While De Gea was on the pitch people were complaining that he was staying on his line for corners in a way Henderson wouldn't, then Henderson comes on and does exactly the same thing. They have it in their head that he's commanding, so every incident where De Gea isn't becomes one where Henderson would be.
I get what you're saying, I think it's gonna be somewhere in between ddg and expectations

I do hope he gets a run. The weird thing is it could be something like an injury or a knock which means Henderson has to go in and it's make or break for him

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Surprised there's no comments about his 'part' in the penalty.

Not saying he should take full credit for that miss but he did well not to commit and make the taker use the very last milisecond of that hop to make the connection with the ball i.e it made it a much more awkward technique.
I thought this too.

It felt like it was the goalkeepers version of Brunos penalties & maybe it's because of training with Bruno taking them that led him to do a bit of that.

Henderson started walking around behind the goal line like he wasnt ready at all and he gave the penalty taker all the time he needed to take a shot. Soon as the PK taker started running he jumped up back on the the goal line and tried to follow the direction he thought it was being kicked at.

Caesar2290

which was a big test of his mentality. The likes of Foster and Howard were very talented keepers, but couldn’t cope with the pressure and the scrutiny.

he’s been quite fortunate. As have many players this season with no crowds this season.
Come on mate, you're being a bit pedantic here. We're talking about a GK who claimed at the start of the season that he wants to take the No.1 of DDG. You don't get any more ambitious than that.

Foster was just content with playing games. He never understood the whole "winning at all costs" mentality hence why he didn't want to be here.
Howard was a victim of Fergies chopping on changing were he would be rotated and dropped at the first mistake, hence why he never established himself as our No.1. Thank God for that cause we might have missed out on VDS had he done so.

If you want to talk about mentality, than you shouldn't look further than our very own DDG. Every time the spotlight is on him he simply crumbles. But that's a discussion for DDG's thread, not this one.

Come on mate, you're being a bit pedantic here. We're talking about a GK who claimed at the start of the season that he wants to take the No.1 of DDG. You don't get any more ambitious than that.

Foster was just content with playing games. He never understood the whole "winning at all costs" mentality hence why he didn't want to be here.
Howard was a victim of Fergies chopping on changing were he would be rotated and dropped at the first mistake, hence why he never established himself as our No.1. Thank God for that cause we might have missed out on VDS had he done so.

If you want to talk about mentality, than you shouldn't look further than our very own DDG. Every time the spotlight is on him he simply crumbles. But that's a discussion for DDG's thread, not this one.
why am I being pedantic? That’s really not the correct terminology.

making mistakes is part and parcel of the job, and we have seen many goalkeepers, lots at United who don’t have the mental strength.

I’m not interested in what he says. All good and well, and clearly I wouldn’t want him to say he was here making up the numbers. But as they say talk is cheap.

I’m interested in what he does - and he recovered from the mistake, which was obviously a test of his mentality. At the start of the season, he clearly showed some nerves, and would have seen that the expectation and exposure is exponentially higher than at Sheff United. He is growing into the role.

you do realise this is positive, and I’m not having a go at him.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Same things with the impact they imagine he'll have on set-pieces. We saw that illustrated perfectly in the game against Southampton where De Gea got injured. While De Gea was on the pitch people were complaining that he was staying on his line for corners in a way Henderson wouldn't, then Henderson comes on and does exactly the same thing. They have it in their head that he's commanding, so every incident where De Gea isn't becomes one where Henderson would be.
I do somewhat agree with you there. The corners against Southampton were so well placed with so many players around them that I doubt any keeper comes to claim it, so it was harsh for people to blame De Gea. Henderson didn't come for them either. My issue with that particular situation wasn't so much that De Gea didn't come for the ball, but that he then put himself in a position (almost behind another player and ducking down) that he made it almost impossible to block any flick-on. It may have still got past him, but if he'd been making himself big he might have been able to block the shot.

Like you I think people are going a bit overboard about it though. With the cross at the end of the match yesterday, I thought De Gea would have come for that one but people are using it as an example of the difference between them. Henderson will definitely come for things that De Gea wouldn't and I expect him to be more commanding than De Gea, but we don't know yet how much ahead he'll be.

Last edited:

Tom Van Persie

No relation
The overexcitement in here. Don't get me wrong, I'd hope to see him as #1 next season. But he didn't actually have to do squat in this game, we utterly dominated it and for long spells Sociedad weren't even that interested.
That's why he needs a run in the team.

croadyman

I think some people fail to grasp that De Gea's huge contract and wages are a big reason why he can't get a chance in these league games, mind you I do wonder if he hadn't made that mistake against Sheff Utd then maybe he would have been given more opportunities.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I think some people fail to grasp that De Gea's huge contract and wages are a big reason why he can't get a chance in these league games, mind you I do wonder if he hadn't made that mistake against Sheff Utd then maybe he would have been given more opportunities.
Then we should have kept him out on loan

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I guess if we want to get rid of De Gea at the end of the season, makes sense to keep him as no1 (from business point of view).

Henderson was brought back last year to give him one transition season with some games in between.

However, if he isn't no1 next season, it all makes no sense.

croadyman

I guess if we want to get rid of De Gea at the end of the season, makes sense to keep him as no1 (from business point of view).

Henderson was brought back last year to give him one transition season with some games in between.

However, if he isn't no1 next season, it all makes no sense.
Maybe but then who realistically is going to be interested in this COVID market

patty123

I don’t believe that.
I would given the tosser we have in charge of our dealings, the same gobshite that bought a player for £59,700,000 and sold him a year later for £44,300,000, gave phil jones that lengthy contract, DGG 350 a week, so no its not beyond the realms of possible with dickwood in charge really.

Didnt the lad acccording to all reports refuse to go back out on loan ?

Think Dean should be starting today. DDG has cost us too many times in games of this magnitude (see Chelsea away in the FA Cup semi last year for one example).

Bwuk

I think he'll go in the summer.

He's too good not to be getting regular games for someone. If he was going to replace De Gea in the summer he'd be in the starting 11 by now.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
That makes no sense. De Gea's wages are a sunk cost - he's being paid regardless of whether he plays or not.

Eternitiy

If true, then it is unfair management by Ole. De Gea has made numerous errors that have been fundamental goalkeeping mistakes and continues to be selected.

It's pointless playing de Gea. We know he's in decline and there is no way we are winning the League. Henderson must be given his opportunity to become our first choice. At least give him the opportunity, it's really not fair if de Gea continues to be selected.

acnumber9

Played well. Did everything he had to do. Probably man of the match on that basis.

Based Adnan

Been a while since I saw a United keeper get crowded on corners and still come out to claim no bother. Good save on PVA as well. Should be number 1 moving forward.

Dembeza

I really like the look of him, hopefully he gets a run of games to prove himself

largelyworried

Did really well today. There was one corner on 9 minutes where they tried to overload him, and he came out and took a really tricky cross cleanly. Just kills the opposition momentum, stops us having to deal with second balls and what have you. The save at the end was excellent too. His performance was just about the only positive thing to come out of this game.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Not sure where De Gea was tonight but Henderson deserves a run of games. Made one big save and was off his line doing things De Gea could only dream of. If De Gea was in goal today Palace would have had more scoring chances. Still may have been 0-0 but it must be such a relief for a defender to know that you don't have to win every header in and around your 6 as Henderson will come and get those while De Gea stares at them...

TrustInOle

Solid display. Looked comfortable with everything he was involved in and saved us the game. So refreshing to see our keeper come and claim the ball from corners and crosses.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Great late save (DDG has done much similar with those in his career). Deserves to maintain starting role v. City. Nothing really to fault.

Jev

Made our whole defence look much more secure. Having a composed and assertive goalkeeper makes a big difference. I've always defended DDG but I'm in favour of giving Henderson a run as no. 1.

A-man

Motm for me with some competition with Shaw, the rest were poor today.
DDG might deserve eternal respect for things he’s done but Henderson deserves matches. He didn’t only make cruical saves, he is also so much more active in the box. It’s no coincidence we are the worst team in the league at defending corners with DD but look so much better in that area when Henderson is playing.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
That last save shows what's required. Didn't have to do much the whole game, other than collect crosses (which De Dea can't even manage) but kept his concentration enough to prevent us losing the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.