Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace of Spades

@Blades1889 how is his shot stopping ?? I like his presence and command of his box and with him in goal we don't look like we will shit the bed everytime we have a corner or FK at least, but still have not seen him make any crazy saves yet. Was wondering how good is his shot stopping ??

FujiVice

Actually moves out of his area and supports the defenders. Seems strange not having a Subbuteo keeper in goal.

dutchred

The whole dfense plays better with him as he commands the area which neither Maguire nor Lindelof do

El Zoido

He looked the business today. 100% he will be our long term number one.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Looked the part today. Confident, commanding, made the saves asked of him, gave a real sense of authority at the back.

I’m not sure yet whether he’s capable of the wonder saves Dave is known for but Dave ain’t doing those much these days anyway.

Not sure how Ole could justify dropping Henderson after that performance. Give him a run in the team to really show what he can do.

MU655

A goalkeeper that leaves his box will be a massive benefit to our defence. It will somewhat lessen the impact of the centre backs being quite slow and stops them having to chase every ball.

You could see Maguire was surprised to see Henderson outside to sweep the ball away. Overall, he is a different goalkeeper to De Gea.

People will question his passing, but a lot of them were merely clearances to relieve pressure, so they probably won't be accurate. Also, he kicked one off the pitch on purpose. Most times he has far better kicking accuracy.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
@Blades1889 how is his shot stopping ?? I like his presence and command of his box and with him in goal we don't look like we will shit the bed everytime we have a corner or FK at least, but still have not seen him make any crazy saves yet. Was wondering how good is his shot stopping ??
I’ve seen him make some ridiculous saves. Search on YouTube Dean Henderson best saves there’s a good compilation from last season.

The Urban Goose

The whole dfense plays better with him as he commands the area which neither Maguire nor Lindelof do
This. He has to play from now on, he makes the whole back line more solid.

But no, DDG will come straight back in and we'll instantly become a shambles again.

marktan

He's not as good a shot stopper as De Gea, which is why De Gea will continue to play over him. Kept a clean sheet but lucky that City couldn't finish their breakfast.

That said he is better than Dave at coming out, and at distributing the ball, so if that's what we prefer then he could very well be given the starting berth over time. Tricky one for Ole.

Anustart89

Every cross that he catches is one that doesn't need to be headed out into a potential danger area by our defenders. Takes so much pressure off our defenders with his play from crosses and through balls. One situation there in the second half where Maguire was in a footrace which could've turned ugly but then the camera pans and Dean's outside his box easily dealing with it.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Thanks and good to know. That is one less position that we have to look at next season.
Personally I think he should be first choice for you but a lot of people on here seem to expect prime van der sar performances from him. He’s still young and worth being patient with.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
He's not as good a shot stopper as De Gea, which is why De Gea will continue to play over him. Kept a clean sheet but lucky that City couldn't finish their breakfast.

That said he is better than Dave at coming out, and at distributing the ball, so if that's what we prefer then he could very well be given the starting berth over time. Tricky one for Ole.
You might have a point if you posted this 3-4 years ago but De Geas shot stopping is very ordinary now. Think I'm right in saying his save statistics are the worst of all the keepers in the top half of the table this season and were really poor last season aswell

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Exactly what you want to see from Henderson. Keep that up and my reservations about him taking over from De Gea will melt away.

A professional and solid performance and that throw to Shaw really set the tone of the counter.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
He's been great when he's been called upon, and if it was promised to him at the start of the season that he'd challenge for the GK spot then he's done nothing to deserve being dropped.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...

Point is...he commands everything else better so he doesnt need super shot stopping ability.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
You might have a point if you posted this 3-4 years ago but De Geas shot stopping is very ordinary now. Think I'm right in saying his save statistics are the worst of all the keepers in the top half of the table this season and were really poor last season aswell
Yep. For all that people complain about other aspects of his game, the main problem with De Gea this season has been his average shot stopping. He was generally worse in the last two seasons than he has been this season but in terms of that one (and crucial) aspect of his game, he's been more mediocre this season.

If he was as superb in that regard as he has been in the past then it would cover a lot of sins and there would be less appetite for Henderson to supplant him. But he hasn't been.

Devil may care

The English pundits are keen for him to become our #1, probably so he can replace Picford in the national team. He was solid today and is vocal.

Sylar

Even if he's just 'solid' that's a huge overall improvement on what ddg has been giving us.

This run of games might be the best thing to happen for him and the club as we can make on. Sentimentality should not play a part for a big team like us. Ddg has had his chances but he keeps blowing it especially in big games

Henderson does the essentials of a goal keeper well. He may not pull of fantastic point blank saves like ddg did for us in his prime but maybe Henderson won't need to with the way he's vocal to those in front of him and his proactiveness to cut out chances

Red00012

Keane mentioned the pace and accuracy he threw the ball out at Shaw , Shaw just needed to take the 1st touch that took Cancelo completely out of the game.

Solid performance

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Easily our best keeper.

If he doesn’t get number 1 next season then it’s a crime.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Even if he's just 'solid' that's a huge overall improvement on what ddg has been giving us.
There's no such thing as 'just' solid with keepers anyway. VDS did nothing out of the ordinary beyond his presence and organisation and he is one of the best keepers we've ever had.

Sylar

There's no such thing as 'just' solid with keepers anyway. VDS did nothing out of the ordinary beyond his presence and organisation and he is one of the best keepers we've ever had.
Yep that's what I meant and why I put solid in quotations as I see it banded against him that he's solid if not spectacular, like that's a sin.

Wittmann45

I think he was good today, and I like that he seemed more willing to attack the ball in the air, but one thing I am confused by is that people are talking about the defense looking more organized. The defense was great today, but there were a few moments where they collectively looked like headless chickens and they were not punished only because City were not sharp today.

I think people have to be prepared for some growing pains if Henderson is the new keeper. There is enough evidence that he will be solid but just as much evidence that the problems with the defense will continue as the team could have easily conceded a couple of silly goals today.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Keane mentioned the pace and accuracy he threw the ball out at Shaw , Shaw just needed to take the 1st touch that took Cancelo completely out of the game.

Solid performance
Difference from DDG is DDG would have seen the pass on, but hesitated and put his hand up to apologise. One of my gripes with DDG is his slow distribution. If we are a counter attacking team, the goalkeeper needs to be proactive

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Yep that's what I meant and why I put solid in quotations as I see it banded against him that he's solid if not spectacular, like that's a sin.
Absolutely.

It's not like he's really had a chance to be spectacular. I'm sure he's capable from time to time. You don't make your name at a team like Sheff Utd without making some very good stops.

Sylar

Absolutely.

It's not like he's really had a chance to be spectacular. I'm sure he's capable from time to time. You don't make your name at a team like Sheff Utd without making some very good stops.
I think his big test will be when he makes a mistake and it costs us (either a win or a draw) and he then has to go again quickly next game and how he handles it

It broke howard, foster and Carroll amongst other keepers we had.

Dante

Average bang
Henderson is the reason we've been playing a high-line the last few weeks.

The backline have been looking significantly more confident about pushing up, and that in turn helps the midfield and attack.

The way the team is building from the back is largely thanks to Deano, imo. Unfortunately, it's not a quality that you can see reflected in stats because it's more of psychological effect. But watching the games it's really obvious how much more willing willing Maguire and Lindelof have been to play on the front foot, and that impetus has percolated up through the team.

Even if DDG remains the better shot stopper and the more spectacular individual, Henderson should keep the no 1 spot for the sake of team dynamics. I want my goalie to stop attacks before they even happen.

Silverman

I think he should be given the #1 spot until the end of the season.
However, I heard that it may really affect De Gea's chances of being #1 for Spain at the European championships in the summer which would be unfortunate.
However, I think we have to give it to Dean.

I think you are doing VDS a massive disservice there. He was very organised, and had great positioning - but he was also a fantastic shot stopper and excellent with his feet.

what parts of his game do you think we’re just ordinary?

It’s an astonishing analysis to be be frank.

TrustInOle

Very assured. Nice to see an attack started with a long throw too
What a throw it was too, you see him a few seconds before look over his shoulder quickly to see if Shaw was in position. His presence in our box was his biggest asset for me, something we have lacked for almost a decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.