Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Worth noting that at least part of Henderson's technical flaws in this case (the arm swing) is something De Gea does too. But because De Gea's timing and ability to maximise reaction time is on point, it has never really mattered and he's superb at reaction saves regardless.

Point being that having technical flaws doesn't mean much in and of itself, it's their impact that counts. So Henderson having some flaws isn't the end of the world as long as he has the ability elsewhere to minimize its impact, as he did on yesterday's save.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!

Worth noting that at least part of Henderson's technical flaws in this case (the arm swing) is something De Gea does too. But because De Gea's timing and ability to maximise reaction time is on point, it has never really mattered and he's superb at reaction saves regardless.

Point being that having technical flaws doesn't mean much in and of itself, it's their impact that counts. So Henderson having some flaws isn't the end of the world as long as he has the ability elsewhere to minimize its impact, as he did on yesterday's save.
His biggest technical flaw is he always redirects the ball straight back into he danger area on his saves. This will cost us as many goals in the long term.

Hoboman

Please, for the love of god, don't replace him immediately after international break.

romufc

Has anyone also noticed that playing out the back, instead of having Matic and splitting our CB's, Henderson pushes up whilst the CB;s split?

Its almost he is another passing option at the back

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I'll tear my hair out if Ole replaces him with De Gea for the coming weeks.

mav_9me

Please, for the love of god, don't replace him immediately after international break

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

Stupid question but is this the normal technique for a goalkeeper when trying to save a towering header?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Stupid question but is this the normal technique for a goalkeeper when trying to save a towering header?
It’s more limiting extraneous arm movements & getting a strong arm barrier as quickly as one can to the ball with minimum fuss. You don’t really want to flap at the ball in such a scenario, you want to almost get your arm / hand in the way with no weakness. The speed of the shot / header should be enough to redirect the ball over the cross bar. If you have to, use your hand to assist in that (think DDG v. City in 2018 when he tipped Aguero’s header over the bar - minimal fuss with the arms).

SAFMUTD

Ole should keep him starting but I have a feeling we'll see De Gea on the weekend.

laughtersassassin

Statistically we have been better with Deano in goal.

And to watch we have been better.

We have conceeded less goals. We don't look like conceeding every cross or corner since he claims some of them.

His distribution is a bit better when you factor in his throwing which sets up a counter or two every few games.

Looks suspect on saves but so far has not cost us.

De Gea's passiveness has become too much of a flaw for me.

Overall it seems an improvement. Defence much more solid

Djemba-Djemba

In injury time against Milan the other day he came off his line to claim a cross and ease pressure and then about a minute later he was quick off his line to tackle the Milan attacker and clear the ball. He also has a great throw which can launch attacks and he seems able to hoof it further too from clearances.

All things De Gea is pretty rubbish at.

I really hope Henderson plays on Sunday.

Sylar

The pros on the team heavily favour dean staying in rather than bringing back DDG.

A lot of this 'he didn't have much to do' is attributed to his proactiveness. He's not having to make a save as he's sniffing the danger whether it's coming to collect the ball, moving off his line to clear or similar.

The effect he has on the defence is the big difference. deans willingness to actually move of his line means the defence doesn't have to drop deeper especially in the final ten minutes. It means on the chance were tired, the defence is closer to the midfield who is closer to attack, meaning more of a chance of retaining the ball.

The worry of our keeper being crowded and conceding a set piece goal is reduced with Henderson in goal (especially on free kicks put in or corners close to the keeper)

The sample size is getting bigger. I expect him to play Leicester as it's a cup game, but then it will be interesting to see what happens in our next league game.

Anustart89

It's obvious that while de Gea might be a better shot stopper (and even this is debatable these days), Henderson's style makes fewer shots come in due to coming out and preventing chances. With Henderson in goal, I'm fairly certain that some of the goals we've conceded, notably the Everton equaliser, doesn't happen.

Djemba-Djemba

Maguire looked delighted in injury time when Henderson came off his line and claimed that cross.

Must be easier for defenders having a keeper that's not rooted to his line at all times.

Maureen-yo

Not sure on that, Southgate is big on playing out from the back and Pope has no experience of that. Henderson has shown he can do it OK and he's more mobile/sweeper keeper which helps with high lines.

Pope is a fantastic shot stopper but his attributes don't suit the way Southgate wants to play IMO.
Yeah that’s a good shout, hasn’t Southgate leaned towards Pope when T-Rex isn’t available?

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
When you look at Johnstone, he's a very solid goalkeeper too now, let's see if Hendo has a gear in him to be TOP4 keeper. There is not much between those in terms of quality then. Give him another quality CB and he will look even better. Just hope he will learn form his mistakes. The one in Milan game looked poor goalkeeping unfortunately but mentality is key too with goalkeepers and I think he has that to overcome bad times. De Gea's form at one point was really horrible due to his weak mentality imo. Other than that I don't think we have to spend money on a goalkeeper.

Siezard

But Dean has to rest more to stay sharp and injury free. So he has to rest soon after Leicester. Time to play Romero or DDG.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Good at claiming crosses from open play but both the stats and eye test suggest he isn't exactly outstanding on set-pieces. Certainly not "commanding" in the way some might have hoped.

That said, it should be pretty clear at this point that our goalkeepers aren't our only (or even main) problem when it comes to defending set-pieces, so I'd be inclined to stop blaming either of them when their defenders are incapable of winning a header.

Drainy

Couldn't do much for the 3 goals. Let down big time by his midfield.
He was poor technically for the second goal by not setting himself early enough and was in the air for a jump into his set position for the dive when the shot came past the defender giving him less time to get down. Even if he couldn't make the save it was poor technique.

He was also caught in no man's land for the third.

TrustInOle

A little suspect for the second goal, but should never have happened in the first place. Nothing he could do with the other two.

Idxomer

Yeah, I don't see him as a United or a top 6 keeper.

He will do well down the table.

marktan

Said it before - his all round play is better than De Gea (passing, starting attacks, collecting balls), but De Gea is still comfortably the better shot stopper. Hendo is a good shot stopper, but not an exceptional one.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I think De Gea keeps the 3rd one out
Possibly. The other side of De Gea being poor at claiming the ball is that he's typically very good at saving chances that then occur off those set-pieces he hasn't claimed.

You'd hope that Henderson will be more dominant and prevent chances in those situations more than De Gea does but in situations where the chance does occur you'd back De Gea to make the save over Henderson, I think.

spiriticon

I think he could have maybe got the 3rd but quite frankly that was McT's ball. Can't be missing that header.

I don't think De Gea would have saved any of those anyway.

ROFLUTION

3rd was McT's, but Henderson's placement also seemed relatively very far away from where the action was at.

criticalanalysis

He was poor technically for the second goal by not setting himself early enough and was in the air for a jump into his set position for the dive when the shot came past the defender giving him less time to get down. Even if he couldn't make the save it was poor technique.

He was also caught in no man's land for the third.
I know it's harsh but I'd agree and would go as far as saying that I expected a bit more from him on all three goals actually.

First goal, he dived in too soon when he sould have stood up and closed the gap/stay big. Second goal, that jump step just before the dive was poor technique. Third goal, it was arguably in his range to punch/swat away.

I'd still give him a run of games but those subtle flaws are consistent imo.

UncleBob

He's atrocious on set pieces, funnily enough. Constantly leaves the line without any chance to go for the ball, finds himself in no mans land and has to backtrack. Could've easily saved the third if he'd stayed on the line

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I am still waiting to see some great save from him. One game where he saves you points. Man Utd gk must save something ffs. He is just average gk who saves what he must save.
And for third goal; i keep hearing here how he is commanding gk who picks all crosses, corners etc...; where was that on third goal? That was his ball.

He is just another example how United fans overrate home-grown players.

Status
Not open for further replies.