Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
He doesn’t fill me with confidence. I just don’t see it with him, unfortunately.
I want to, but I don’t think he’s good enough for us.

lost7

No obvious mistake, but a top keeper would have saved at least one out of their 2nd and 3rd goal

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Said it before - his all round play is better than De Gea (passing, starting attacks, collecting balls), but De Gea is still comfortably the better shot stopper. Hendo is a good shot stopper, but not an exceptional one.
But 99% of gk job is to stop shots ffs. He can be Maradona but he must save shots. And he doesn't. If shot is good, that is a goal. Simple as that with him. And he is especially weak on one on one. I can't remember when he saved one on one chance. He just dives randomly.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
A tiny bit off on the 2nd and 3rd goals.
On a good day DDG saves both, but neither are easy saves. The consensus here has been that claiming tougher crosses is preferable to relying on reflexes.

DoomSlayer

On a good day DDG saves both, but neither are easy saves. The consensus here has been that commanding the box is preferable to only great reflexes.
De Gea has one of the worst shot-stopping % in the league, how is he saving any of that?

spiriticon

De Gea isn't good at shot stopping any more, for god's sakes.

Henderson may not be the answer for the future, but De Gea is defo not.

HailtotheKing

I like Dean. Think he gives our defense more confidence. He's not as good at DDG cos as a shot-stopper because he's one of the best in the business. But in terms of commanding his area and his distribution, he's much better. I think he needs to continue.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
On a good day DDG saves both, but neither are easy saves. The consensus here has been that claiming tougher crosses is preferable to relying on reflexes.
That's fine but the worry is that he doesn't look particularly commanding from set-pieces either.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
There's a worry that we're in Howard/Carroll territory with DeGea and Henderson.

padzilla

Hipster
He has been okay but not set the world alight. De Gea is finished though. Three years of being shite. Romero must be peeved though.

RedDevil250

Romero is better than Henderson. I don't think Henderson is bad, but I agree with those saying he's not made any truly exceptional saves in his time here.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Think it's a bit simplistic to suggest that De Gea wouldn't have saved that just because his shot-stopping generally has deteriorated.

In reality a huge portion of his decline in shot-stopping can be attributed to the disintegration of his ability to stop close range 1-on-1s. From saving 61% in 17/18 down to 30% in 19/20, with the average being around 50%. However, his ability to save long range 1-on-1s seems to have remained unaffected during that period, remaining at around 70% in 19/20, for example.

In other words the assumption that his shot-stopping has deteriorated equally across the board doesn't necessarily hold. Especially as you could point to technical problems in regards to those 1-on-1s, as opposed to slower reaction speeds. There's no real reason to assume those technical faults have spread into other separate aspects of his game as far as I can see, unless anyone has stats that specifically show a decline in his ability to make reflex saves as well? In which case I'll happily admit I'm wrong.

Generally though I'm less concerned about whether De Gea would have saved those chances and more concerned that Henderson doesn't appear to be all that strong at set-pieces, despite us hoping that would be one of his strong points.

UncleBob

Not sure what it is people don't understand ref the third goal. For the god knows how many times, he rushes off his line on a set piece and sees that he has feck all chance of getting the ball and he has to backtrack...This means that he's out of position.

It's quite simple, you either commit and go for it
or
you stay on the fecking line.

Henderson has a nasty habit of consistently being out of position for set pieces

Irwin99

Is Henderson rubbish again now?

#caflife
Never thought he was rubbish, in fact quite the opposite, but there has been a very vocal crowd urging Ole to make him number 1 and it's just one of those things where you kinda think 'be careful what you wish for, maybe?'. De Gea is nowhere near the keeper he was for us but I actually think he's not been that bad this season. I'm not sure I'd replace him just yet.

BTW i didn't blame him for any of the goals today.

Red00012

At fault for the third goal but not as much as the outfield players were for 95 mins.

DoomSlayer

I have no clue how anybody can blame Henderson for any of the 3 goals. Personally, I though he was fantastic before Fred's mistake - extremely alert, quick of his line to stop a few attacks and very confident in collecting aerial balls.

The whole team suffered from the consistent individual errors after some time, we gave Leicester the edge by making too many big errors.

He's the absolute definition of average - and that's being generous. Excels at quite literally nothing, and has plenty of weaknesses.

In the Fergie era he'd have been second/third choice keeper, before eventually moving to a Championship team and starting for a couple of years before being upgraded.

It's comical how enthused people have been getting... just by virtue of having a keeper who isn't glued to his line.

Edit - Just saw quotes from Rio's punditry. He said Henderson had a big part to play in the second too. Said that when he worked with VDS and De Gea, if he ended up in the situation where he was covering the left side of the goal (like Lindelof was) then VDS and De Gea knew to slide over to the right to cover that side. Henderson just stayed central, actually a little bit on Lindelof's side.

Did his usual 'coming for cross before retreating' bullshit for the third too. Also palmed a couple of easy shots straight out into the middle of the box - Matic cleared one of them, think it was Bissaka on the other.

Last edited:

arnie_ni

Not sure what it is people don't understand ref the third goal. For the god knows how many times, he rushes off his line on a set piece and sees that he has feck all chance of getting the ball and he has to backtrack...This means that he's out of position.

or

Henderson has a nasty habit of consistently being out of position for set pieces
I reckon he knows it's de geas weakness and he's trying to come out and claim as many crosses as he can then realises he can't get there and back tracks

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He's the absolute definition of average - and that's being generous. Excels at quite literally nothing - and has plenty of weaknesses.

In the Fergie era he'd have been second/third choice keeper, before eventually moving to a Championship team and starting for a couple of years before being upgraded.

It's comical how enthused people have been getting... just by virtue of having a keeper who isn't glued to his line.
In the Fergie era we had the likes of Tim Howard and Roy Carroll starting for us for full seasons. Henderson is much worse than De Gea, VdS and Schmeichel but he is far from the worst. One of our biggest problems was the transition between those great keepers. We would have loved to have just a decent keeper in those intervening periods and I’d be alright if Henderson is that. Certainly a lot of people trying very hard to overlook his weaknesses to justify their exaggerated criticism of de Gea after all this time though.

arthurka

or

So you are saying a ball watching McT isn't the one to blame? The far post was wide open and left with a lot a of goal to aim for..

The second goal was a fantastic shot That no keeper would have saved, placed by the far post. He was left for dead for all goals today nothing to blame him for.

Matthew84!

Lots of people on here who are completing unrealistic and must be completing mental to think DDG would of saved any of them,
Fred/Maguire at fault for the first
Fred, Matic for the second but good strike
Scott for the third.
Players were tired so that's that,
Move on

UncleBob

So you are saying a ball watching McT isn't the one to blame? The far post was wide open and left with a lot a of goal to aim for..

The second goal was a fantastic shot That no keeper would have saved, placed by the far post. He was left for dead for all goals today nothing to blame him for.
He was left for dead for their third goal because he was out in the middle of nowhere.

The second goal was a fantastic shot That no keeper would have saved, placed by the far post.
Rio absolutely hammered him for that one. It wasn't close to going in at the post. It passes Henderson really centrally.

3:15 if the timestamp doesn't work.

Firstly, Henderson isn't set. He's almost mid-jump (??) when Tielemans shoots. His positioning is poor...Rio was scathing about him not 'cheating over' to the right, given that Lindelof's covering a big chunk of the left side.

Rio's talked about this a lot before, playing with VDS and De Gea.

It took me back to really when we used to play and I would always say to Edwin, ‘When you see me going out to someone one-v-one, or on the edge of the box, I will try and stand in a certain place and wherever I stand, you stand opposite to it, you react off where I stand.’ And I’d say to Edwin, ‘If it goes through my legs hopefully you save it, but if you don’t it’s down to me

Last edited:

BlahRules

But 99% of gk job is to stop shots ffs. He can be Maradona but he must save shots. And he doesn't. If shot is good, that is a goal. Simple as that with him. And he is especially weak on one on one. I can't remember when he saved one on one chance. He just dives randomly.
against Crystal Palace he saved us from losing. We need a commanding goal keeper like Kasper and if not then we need a commanding defender.

Maguire should be this defender or why else did we spend 80 million on him? I just don't understand this zonal defending. We've conceded so many goals from corners and free kicks but ole persists with this is quite frankly incompetent.

Strats

He has some issues with controlling rebounds at times, don't like how balls are directed back into the centre of the box after a save.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Should have saved the second. The third is tricky as the shot was taken from outside the post, but his failed attempt to collect the cross unsettled him a bit & didn’t allow him a great position to save it. Unfortunate, but not unexpected by him.

Red_toad

De Gea isn't good at shot stopping any more, for god's sakes.

Henderson may not be the answer for the future, but De Gea is defo not.
I’m hoping we at least try to tempt Donnarumma in the summer. Make a few deals with the fat Italian devil that has numerous players we could really do with...

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
If De Gea left and he was at Sheffield United would we sign him as a replacement? I have doubts he’s good enough and the media narrative of he must be given a chance annoy me. I’m also not a fan of the stories that he’s demanding to be made number one or he’s off - he’s within touching distance of being number one at the club if he’s good enough and performs - he should be willing to fight for it. Hopefully he is because it’s obvious De Gea won’t be staying beyond his contract.

spiriticon

I’m hoping we at least try to tempt Donnarumma in the summer. Make a few deals with the fat Italian devil that has numerous players we could really do with...
We're not going to get Donnarumma, we're not going to get Jan Oblak. We have other positions that need sorting out with our very limited Covid restricted cash.

If Henderson leaves at the end of this season because he wants out, it will be Lee Grant as backup for De Gea next season.

I guess we could also give Joel Pereira a go.

A-man

Edit - Just saw quotes from Rio's punditry. He said Henderson had a big part to play in the second too. Said that when he worked with VDS and De Gea, if he ended up in the situation where he was covering the left side of the goal (like Lindelof was) then VDS and De Gea knew to slide over to the right to cover that side. Henderson just stayed central, actually a little bit on Lindelof's side.
This is something I think has worked very well between Lindelof and DDG. Lindelof tend to cover one part of the goal, allowing a free shot in the other corner where DDG easily saves it. Maybe that kind of cooperation comes with matches, or they are just different types of goalkeepers in that aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.