Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylar

His positioning for the 4th was horrendous. Its his worst game for us easily.
His contribution to the 3rd goal was bad too. Hes done that a lot where he parries but he normally gets away with it as there isnt anybody following in. I need to see it again, but it didnt look like a dip and bounce in front of him, and even if so, he needs to push that out wide if hes not going to catch it.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
People comparing him to Joe Hart but Hart was actually brilliant for a period of time imo.

LuckyScout78

Swap him with premier league best goalkeeper this season in Martinez. Become 29 later this year and still has many year at the top. I am glad Arsenal let him goes. Maybe a bit easier to get Martinez from Villa than Arsenal.

Like all goalkeeper and players. Martinez is not 100 perfect. But this season. I have been most impressed of him, by all goalkeepers. A giant and robust keeper, but still really explosive. Explosive = reflection and how quick you are to jump or come up after been down.

I heard the name and reputation of the best Donnarumma. But to be honest I don’t watch Ac Milan and Donnarumma too often. But Martinez, Villa and premier league. Not personally, but objectively. The best goalkeeper in premier league this season. At 28 age, maybe at his peak of his career. Helping Arsenal to win FA cup last season. This guy really good confidence. That he is the real deal and top level and quality as goalkeeper.

About Henderson. He doesn’t give me the same good feeling. He doesn’t smell the same authority and dominance presence as Schmeichel, Vanders or this Martinez. Same as Cantona. You can see and feel it. Or Gerrard for another example. Really really big and top players have it.

But in the end. Yesterday Liverpool lost had many others factors. Like without Maguire. Like Leicester without Evans. And line up or more match than Liverpool lately. And Liverpool had higher motivation to win.
But isolation. Again. I would try to swap Henderson with Martinez if I was United head coach. Try to get the closest to the top level in every positions.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Hendersons been lucky in general because I remember earlier in the season, another goal where he stood off in goal and allowed the shot to go across him and I think that's a cowardly way of goalkeeping. I'm not a goalkeeper but it's not rocket science to run out to block angles and to put questions int he strikers mind. In fact, he might as well have put his hand off claiming offside like Fabian did all those years ago but he's got mistakes in him. Who remembers the game, he comes out in the first minute to punch and misses the ball but the goals disallowed. I can't believe some people try to imply he's even close to De Gea. Henderson should sit out the rest of the season and look at his performances. If he think's he's a top goalkeeper he's got a lot to learn. Playing for united is not the same as most other clubs. He needs to learn from other great goalkeepers because he does very little 'well'. He's been lucky where De Gea's been unlucky in that De Geas mistakes tend to lead to goals. The number of times Hendersons saved a shot but not pushed it wide is not good. Needs to improve greatly.

shahzy

But he shouts and makes the defence less nervous or something. C'mon I couldn't believe when I was reading crap like that

Yes de gea might be done. But I've seen nothing that suggests Henderson is a world class keeper worthy of being Manchester United's no.1

I've never understood why the debate was De Gea or Henderson, as if there aren't other options.

Anyone that watched the 2000-2005 time period must have some concern.

BeltUp

Supports
United
The only thing he has over DDG is his willingness to sweep the ball. From what I've seen of him, he is rash and his decision making is poor. The number of times he comes for the ball and doesn't claim it or clear it safely is a worry. He's the same age Dave was when he was world class - do we really think he is going to improve much now?

I do worry that we are going to sell DDG and persist with Henderson next season. If we bring in Sancho, a CDM and CB then I guess it would be fine for a while but I'd rather we kept Dave and sold Dean.

Reactions: Cheimoon

tomaldinho1

Why are people already turning on him after he's actually been solid for us? He made a couple of errors yesterday but he also made a great one on one save from Mane and also stopped that shot from TAA's cross well - he does some things really well but needs to improve on others which is probably what you'd expect from a young keeper. Alisson made a howler yesterday but Cavani missed the open goal, keepers who play out from the back often make errors.

The key for me is DDG simply doesn't sweep well or come for crosses and so I'd take a 6/10 keeper who plays that role over a 10/10 keeper who is glued to his line because it affects the whole team's shape.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Did everyone write off Alison and Ederson after a
Couple of mistakes? Nope/yes/maybe.

He’s the last line of defence and has looked good enough for most to be saying he’sour number one. The whole defence bar AWB
Looked crap last night and he was just the final one. He’s entitled to a bad game

hobbers

Thing with him being a shouty keeper is good and all but the second the defence realise he's a liability the second that shouting stops working, because the defenders stop trusting him.

Seeing him spill all those shots yesterday and then the embarrassing positioning on the fourth... every United player watching that will not be flooded with confidence in him long term. That sort of stuff is worse than the odd howler.

Gandalf

I do worry that we are going to sell DDG and persist with Henderson next season. If we bring in Sancho, a CDM and CB then I guess it would be fine for a while but I'd rather we kept Dave and sold Dean.
We need to sell both. Donarumma and Heaton both on free transfers would be amazing business but assuming Donarumma does extend with Milan then we should take the money raised from selling DDG and Dean and add whatever else is needed to buy Oblak.

The Oracle

Historically, for a lot of the fans the biggest game of the season is against Liverpool.

Henderson already has a past relating to Liverpool when he was at Sheffield United... an error from him sealed a win for Liverpool in the league.

Last night he was at fault for at least two of Liverpool's goals (some would argue three).

We may well have a choker between the sticks.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Thing with him being a shouty keeper is good and all but the second the defence realise he's a liability the second that shouting stops working, because the defenders stop trusting him.

Seeing him spill all those shots yesterday and then the embarrassing positioning on the fourth... every United player watching that will not be flooded with confidence in him long term. That sort of stuff is worse than the odd howler.
Fair point. He’s gotta pick himself back up. I was saying a few months ago if DDG leaves we should bring in Donnarumma on a free and let them battle it out. Mino though and Donnarumma looks Juve bound

Idxomer

A good point was made earlier about his size, he'll always have limitations as a commanding keeper. We're also in a period where he's trying to show he's different than De Gea in that aspect. We are seeing him doing stuff that doesn't come naturally to him like in the corner yesterday.

He isn't too intimidating as a keeper, there's nothing scary about seeing Henderson in goal.

We now have two keepers on big wages and both don't have the attributes needed currently from a keeper at a top club. Giving Henderson that big contract seems now like another poorly planned decision from people at the club.

RedDevil@84

I've never understood why the debate was De Gea or Henderson, as if there aren't other options.
We need to invest in other areas. We don't have infinite money (I mean we may have loads, but we are not getting it).

Anyways, I think we will have to live with alternating DDG and Hendo for another season at least.

hobbers

How can he do better for that 4th then?
Come out earlier much. Narrow the angle down about 1000% more than he did. Not embarrassingly forget where the goal is and not end up only covering one quarter of it. Pretty basic stuff really.

Every keeper in the league does better in that situation than he did in that moment. It was abjectly horrible. He mentally checked out and basically gave the situation up entirely.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Are you serious?

by not giving salah the entire goal to aim at. Come out, narrow the angle. salah put the ball two years past Henderson’s right foot, and the ball ended up in the middle of the goal. You could have driven one of Jose’s buses through that gap.

Come out earlier much. Narrow the angle down about 1000% more than he did. Not embarrassingly forget where the goal is and not end up only covering one quarter of it. Pretty basic stuff really.

Every keeper in the league does better in that situation than he did in that moment. It was abjectly horrible. He mentally checked out and basically gave the situation up entirely.
You guy are joking right?

First of all, Salah got the ball from Matic’s mistake, Dean can’t read that situation where Matic decided to do an idiot thing.

Second, Salah already had the ball from the middle of the pitch. Coming out wouldn’t make it any difference because Salah could easily beat him by going around him. There is a situation where keeper must make himself big to close the space which he did more than once yesterday on other Liverpool‘s chances but that Salah goal wasn’t the situation where the keeper could make any difference by closing the space because Salah already had huge amount of space and time.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I mean, surely you don't think all goalkeepers handle one vs. ones like that?!
In that one vs one situation, it was pretty much already game over for a keeper because Salah got the ball from the middle of the pitch so there was so much time for Salah to think or make decision whether to chip the ball or to go around the keeper if Dean decides to come out.

If the situation is when Salah got the ball near our opposition box then Dean could stop it by coming out to close the gaps but that’s different situation to the yesterday goal.

hobbers

First of all, Salah got the ball from Matic’s mistake, Dean can’t read that situation where Matic decided to do an idiot thing.

Second, Salah already had the ball from the middle of the pitch. Coming out wouldn’t make it any difference because Salah could easily beat him by going around him. There is a situation where keeper must make himself big to close the space which he did more than once yesterday on other Liverpool‘s chances but that Salah goal wasn’t the situation where the keeper could make any difference by closing the space because Salah already had huge amount of space and time.
No. presumably you are joking?

There's a difference between rushing off your line when the attacking player is running from the half way line to the edge of the box, and rushing off your line when the attacking player enters the penalty area. Apparently you don't understand that?

Salah took a greedy amount of touches and brought the ball so far into our box and Henderson stayed rooted to the spot like a deer in headlights. Looking like a pillock because he didn't even realise where the centre of his goal was, he was completely lost in that moment. Any keeper at any level will tell you he looked a total fool for that fourth goal, might as well have not even been there.

In that one vs one situation, it was pretty much already game over for a keeper
Drivel. It was game over because Henderson mentally checked out and didn't have the wherewithal to even make a half-assed attempt at closing the space and narrowing the angle.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
No. presumably you are joking?

There's a difference between rushing off your line when the attacking player is running from the half way line to the edge of the box, and rushing off your line when the attacking player enters the penalty area. Apparently you don't understand that?

Salah took a greedy amount of touches and brought the ball so far into our box and Henderson stayed rooted to the spot like a deer in headlights. Looking like a pillock because he didn't even realise where the centre of his goal was, he was completely lost in that moment. Any keeper at any level will tell you he looked a total fool for that fourth goal, might as well have not even been there.

Drivel. It was game over because Henderson mentally checked out and didn't have the wherewithal to even make a half-assed attempt at closing the space and narrowing the angle.
It's not a greedy amount of touches, it shows how much space & time he had to make the right decision. If Dean rushing off when Salah entered the penalty area, Salah could easily go around him. What you are underestimating is how quick Salah was for that goal, which makes a keeper difficult to anticipate it. There was literary only 1 second or less time's gap between Salah entered the penalty area to Salah took the shot.

Blames Matic & the defenders not feckin keeper.

Coming out to close the space and make himself big actually has been Dean's biggest strength this season. And that goal wasn't the situation he could do it.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

He had plenty of time to reposition himself.

He was exposing far too much of the goal when Salah shot.

It’s more his positioning than him being able to close the space.

clarkydaz

Why are people already turning on him after he's actually been solid for us? He made a couple of errors yesterday but he also made a great one on one save from Mane and also stopped that shot from TAA's cross well - he does some things really well but needs to improve on others which is probably what you'd expect from a young keeper. Alisson made a howler yesterday but Cavani missed the open goal, keepers who play out from the back often make errors.

The key for me is DDG simply doesn't sweep well or come for crosses and so I'd take a 6/10 keeper who plays that role over a 10/10 keeper who is glued to his line because it affects the whole team's shape.
He has flapped and spilled plenty, in empty stadiums. Its quite alarming really when we are looking at sending DDG out of the club

macheda14

He has flapped and spilled plenty, in empty stadiums. Its quite alarming really when we are looking at sending DDG out of the club
Who’s done the same and is only getting worse, at least with Henderson there’s the possibility he’ll learn from his mistakes.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I reckon if he holds onto the United number one shirt he’s got every chance.
This. And I have some suspicion the reason Ole finally had courage to make Deano start every game had something to do with Euros and Deano's chances of making England starting goalkeeper. Being started for United that finishes 2nd and maybe even wins Europa League carries quite a weight, no matter how you look at it.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He had plenty of time to reposition himself.

He was exposing far too much of the goal when Salah shot.

It’s more his positioning than him being able to close the space.
So you don't think Dean's positioning was aiming to close his near post and it's not reasonable?

Not very rare to see a keeper does that kind of positioning to close the near post when an opposition player or the ball is closer to the near post. It's similar to how we conceded the second goal vs Leicester 2-2, people criticised DDG's positioning but keeper does that.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Coming out initially would have been the wrong thing to do. Once Salah takes an extra touch in the box though, Henderson then has to move. As below:

And aside from his decision making in terms of when to come out, he's also too close to the near post. I mean just look at how easy he made the chance for Salah:

I'm all for not going overboard on criticism for one mistake but arguing that he's in the correct position is actual madness.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
So you don't think Dean's positioning was aiming to close his near post and it's not reasonable?

Not very rare to see a keeper does that kind of positioning to close the near post when an opposition player or the ball is closer to the near post. It's similar to how we conceded the second goal vs Leicester 2-2, people criticised DDG's positioning but keeper does that.
He was shaded far too much to the near post.

He was also static, he could have closed the angle down a bit more.

Salah was basically goal post extended when he took the shot. Henderson was almost the same. He was poorly positioned.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Coming out initially would have been the wrong thing to do. Once Salah takes an extra touch in the box though, Henderson then has to move. As below:

And aside from his decision making in terms of when to come out, he's also too close to the near post. I mean just look at how easy he made the chance for Salah:

I'm all for not going overboard on criticism for one mistake but arguing that he's in the correct position is actual madness.
I mentioned this before in my previous post, easy to say but you guys are underestimating that Salah was so quick for that goal, which makes a keeper difficult to make decision. He's miles quicker than Dallas and a better dribbler than Dallas. This plays in keeper's mind because the keeper knows Salah is very skilful and could go around him and still score.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I mentioned this before in my previous post, easy to say but you guys are underestimating that Salah was so quick for that goal, which makes a keeper difficult to make decision. He's miles quicker than Dallas and a better dribbler than Dallas. This plays in keeper's mind because the keeper knows Salah is very skilful and could go around him and still score.
Henderson had more than ample time to analyze the situation & react accordingly. He was poor in his positioning & he was delayed in cutting down the angle.

This wasn’t being played on an indoor or a 5 / side pitch. This play wasn’t immediate or quick by any stretch of the imagination.

hobbers

The picture says it all. If you couldn't see what was wrong with his decision to stay rooted to the spot when Salah entered the box, and can't even see what's wrong with his absurd positioning when Salah took the shot, there's no point trying to explain it.

tomaldinho1

If DDG was error free, I'd agree with you but he's not - his form has been very 'normal' since 2018. It's not a recent dip, his general level has really tailed off.

If you were to ask 100 people who is better overall right now, most would probably still say DDG. However the point is Henderson could be better, much better given his playing style, for us in the very near future.

rron10

Supports
Sir Alex
As a goalkeeper you are as good as your last game, I'm sure he will come good, he is still young and talented.

tomaldinho1

This is v easy to say but I don't buy it in practise. I do think you can fairly say he's taken up an untraditional position between the posts (in that he's slightly right of where you'd think and gives Salah an easy finish) but I don't think you can say he could have rushed out on Salah's touch, it's milliseconds. Wherever he is, most strikers score that 9 times out of 10 anyway so harsh to act as if that's a feck up.

RaptorSlo

It's not a greedy amount of touches, it shows how much space & time he had to make the right decision. If Dean rushing off when Salah entered the penalty area, Salah could easily go around him. What you are underestimating is how quick Salah was for that goal, which makes a keeper difficult to anticipate it. There was literary only 1 second or less time's gap between Salah entered the penalty area to Salah took the shot.

Blames Matic & the defenders not feckin keeper.

Coming out to close the space and make himself big actually has been Dean's biggest strength this season. And that goal wasn't the situation he could do it.
Even if the odds were stacked against him, he should still take position that gives him the greatest chance.

Yes, he wasn't main culprit for that goal, but he still made himself look like an amateur.

HerbT

Supports
man city fc
People comparing him to Joe Hart but Hart was actually brilliant for a period of time imo.
Speaking as a City fan (but not for City fans as a whole) my honest opinion is that that Hart‘s periods of brilliance were limited to very few games - about as many as good luck would give you on average.
His forte was reaction saves, which worked very well behind a packed defence and we had a packed defence back in the day - our hero’s were defenders making last ditch blocks and with blood running from busted eyebrows, thus clean sheets and golden gloves, but he simply couldn’t distribute the ball except for into touch (though if he’d aimed for touch he’d have likely missed it).

When our game developed he had nowhere to hide and off he went to fail at every club he went to.
Henderson’s better than Hart ever was and would have easily got as many or more golden gloves if he’d played for us instead of Hart in that period.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
This is v easy to say but I don't buy it in practise. I do think you can fairly say he's taken up an untraditional position between the posts (in that he's slightly right of where you'd think and gives Salah an easy finish) but I don't think you can say he could have rushed out on Salah's touch, it's milliseconds. Wherever he is, most strikers score that 9 times out of 10 anyway so harsh to act as if that's a feck up.
We're not demanding a super human feat from him here. We're saying that between this point:

And this point:

He should have physically moved forward. If that's beyond him then we really are in trouble because it's a pretty basic ask from a goalkeeper. I mean the incoming defender managed to close the space in those "milliseconds". Expecting Henderson to budge forward a few yards is hardly being hyper-critical.

Hughie77

Last night was his worst game, hope it's a learning curve for him, but Keepers are a odd bunch they dont learn sometimes . He punched the corner out for there equalizer not far enough 1st error, 2nd error the header from free kick he leans back and down not up, not saying he would have saved it. 3rd error not gathering TAA shot or pushing it sideways, 4th error needs to come off his line quicker. Hope he can learn otherwise phewww.

Status
Not open for further replies.