Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

GazTheLegend

@Pickle85 and I feel like I'm living in a bizarraworld where de Gea let's every single on target shot fly past him, everyone calls them "unsaveable", he is completely absolved of blame and then he makes one or two saves look harder than they were and he gets called world class for months. He's not been world class for a long time.

Pickle85

@Pickle85 and I feel like I'm living in a bizarraworld where de Gea let's every single on target shot fly past him, everyone calls them "unsaveable", he is completely absolved of blame and then he makes one or two saves look harder than they were and he gets called world class for months. He's not been world class for a long time.
I think with ddg the truth is somewhere in the middle. But he has been a rare bright spot this season. Though obviously fast from perfect. His deficiencies are clear but I can't see how Henderson is in any way a better option.

mu4c_20le

even if you think henderson is better than DDG, no idea how people can think henderson is the answer long term as a great modern gk. Sell him while he still has value, and if anything identify the modern goalkeeper they want to develop and bring him in while DDG allows him to ease into the league. Should be relatively easy to buy a cheap young gk that they feel can develop into that with the money from hendo, while having leftovers to help the overall fund.
is probably the right answer. If De Gea wasn't here, maybe we can afford to develop him and see what happens. But when he was given his chance, he did not exactly set the world alight and all his backers went silent.

Also, it's easy to forget the goals he conceded when we win, because people usually forget about them. I keep hearing about how he's a proactive modern goalkeeper and the anti-De Gea, but then we've conceded goals like this...

0:43, good cross comes in, good imitation of Dave

0:54, corner comes in, Pam Fischer looks at a photo of Deano and Dave and says... its the same

Ddg would've been crucified for either of these...

Pickle85

is probably the right answer. If De Gea wasn't here, maybe we can afford to develop him and see what happens. But when he was given his chance, he did not exactly set the world alight and all his backers went silent.

Also, it's easy to forget the goals he conceded when we win, because people usually forget about them. I keep hearing about how he's a proactive modern goalkeeper and the anti-De Gea, but then we've conceded goals like this...

0:43, good cross comes in, good imitation of Dave

Dave would've been crucified for either of these...
Agree. People also talk about him like he's really good with his feet and he's just not at all. He's bang average.

GazTheLegend

I think with ddg the truth is somewhere in the middle. But he has been a rare bright spot this season. Though obviously fast from perfect. His deficiencies are clear but I can't see how Henderson is in any way a better option.
I think de Gea has had an absolutely awful season with maybe one or two good games, and maybe my judgement is clouded but I've personally felt our best form maybe in the last -five years- came with Henderson between the sticks. I guess the Henderson fans are waiting to be proven wrong and that given more than a handful of games we could find out. I mean he played himself into the 1 spot and only lost it to covid so there's that too

... Of course I fully expect him to be sold to Newcastle because that's the sort of thing that our club does, and for Henderson to get the England number 1 spot there :nervous:

Pickle85

I think de Gea has had an absolutely awful season with maybe one or two good games, and maybe my judgement is clouded but I've personally felt our best form maybe in the last -five years- came with Henderson between the sticks. I guess the Henderson fans are waiting to be proven wrong and that given more than a handful of games we could find out. I mean he played himself into the 1 spot and only lost it to covid so there's that too

... Of course I fully expect him to be sold to Newcastle because that's the sort of thing that our club does, and for Henderson to get the England number 1 spot there :nervous:
Oh come on now... am absolutely awful season?! How so?

Henderson didn't play himself into the position, tbh, ddg played himself out of it. But then when he got the chance again he proved he's a better keeper. Lookin at it rationally, if Henderson is objectively a better goalkeeper why is it that ddg has been benching him for years across various different coaches?

flappyjay

I think de Gea has had an absolutely awful season with maybe one or two good games, and maybe my judgement is clouded but I've personally felt our best form maybe in the last -five years- came with Henderson between the sticks. I guess the Henderson fans are waiting to be proven wrong and that given more than a handful of games we could find out. I mean he played himself into the 1 spot and only lost it to covid so there's that too.

He is average and maybe even below average at the things he is better than de gea at. It's better to sell him now to Newcastle and get a goal keeper who actually dominates the box and is excellent with their feet.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't see the point of another loan. Sell for £30m that can be spent elsewhere.

GazTheLegend

Oh come on now... am absolutely awful season?! How so?

Henderson didn't play himself into the position, tbh, ddg played himself out of it. But then when he got the chance again he proved he's a better keeper. Lookin at it rationally, if Henderson is objectively a better goalkeeper why is it that ddg has been benching him for years across various different coaches?
Because he's paid an absolute fortune and you can't have a player on 250k a week sitting on the bench getting annoyed. I think that's at least part of it. We are stuck with him, like it or not. Lookin at it rationally, if de Gea is objectively a worse goalkeeper, why is it that Henderson is paid half as much? And how could you sell a player on 250k a week as a second choice? The second de Gea was given that monster contracted salary, he was basically made our number 1 until it ends.

He had plenty of bad, sometimes outright weird moments.

The position he ends up taking at 0:43 is almost as bad as the Salah goal.

Edit - from reading the Twitter comments, apparently the music in this video is NSFW. I'm at my girlfriend's parents and can't listen, so use caution :nervous:

Last edited:

Idxomer

Edit - from reading the Twitter comments, apparently the music in this video is NSFW. I'm at my girlfriend's parents and can't listen, so use caution :nervous:
He doesn't inspire any confidence, don't forget the number of shots he just parries into the middle of the box and doesn't get punished for them.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

His positioning is atrocious.

Mmm-Qatarian

even if you think henderson is better than DDG, no idea how people can think henderson is the answer long term as a great modern gk. Sell him while he still has value, and if anything identify the modern goalkeeper they want to develop and bring him in while DDG allows him to ease into the league. Should be relatively easy to buy a cheap young gk that they feel can develop into that with the money from hendo, while having leftovers to help the overall fund.
I actually agree with you that Henderson is not the long-term answer. I think long-term we need a higher quality goalkeeper than him between the sticks.

My point regarding him is simply that I think it's extremely strange how hard people are on Henderson for his weaknesses while a lot of these same people give De Gea a remarkably easy time in spite of his own.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

That actually is more off moments than I had remembered.

As for the bold, just a bit. :lol:

Longshanks

Some of you talk about his run of games like it was whole season and like he was top class. It was 15 games or so and it was nothing special from him. Against minor teams he saved what he must and against City and Pool he saved nothing. You should rewatch those games and see those shots.
He saves what every average gk would save too. And that is it. Any better shot and it is a goal.
He did lots of good things quietly, he didn't have to make a string of saves every game because he was actively helping the defense to prevent chances from happening in the first place, oh and his considerably better distribution even led to a few goals during his short run.

Even vidic and ferdinand looked a little all over the place infront of de gea, he has such a negative effect on everything infront of him, the defence looked alot calmer and organised infront of Henderson. It always looks chaotic and all over the place infront of De gea.

Oranges038

@Oranges038 yep and our best performance of maybe any season was Vs city in that 2-0 win with Hendo in goal. Somehow that gets forgotten. I can't help thinking that a lot of de Gea's goals have been seriously preventable - thinking particularly Vs brighton. And survivorship bias is what makes people think shots that would have looked "unsaveable" to de Gea (like Vs Brighton) would suddenly look like decent saves, maybe to a few other goalkeepers.
Only 4 times since he's been at Utd has he managed to concede less than a goal a game over a season.

I'm not that gone on Henderson, but it's obvious that even though he's fairly average he still does more for the team than DDG and that was proven in the results last season. To me that just shows how poor DDG is at everything else bar making saves.

Some people just can't accept that and throw up that Salah goal all the time to bash Henderson. All the while ignoring all the goals DDG should have done better on, even this season, and all the ones he's let through his legs at the near post. There were 2 or 3 in that horrendous Watford game alone.

Pickle85

Only 4 times since he's been at Utd has he managed to concede less than a goal a game over a season.

I'm not that gone on Henderson, but it's obvious that even though he's fairly average he still does more for the team than DDG and that was proven in the results last season. To me that just shows how poor DDG is at everything else bar making saves.

Some people just can't accept that and throw up that Salah goal all the time to bash Henderson. All the while ignoring all the goals DDG should have done better on, even this season, and all the ones he's let through his legs at the near post. There were 2 or 3 in that horrendous Watford game alone.
Yep, its everyone else that's wrong, not you. That's the most likely explanation.

Lyng

I actually agree with you that Henderson is not the long-term answer. I think long-term we need a higher quality goalkeeper than him between the sticks.

My point regarding him is simply that I think it's extremely strange how hard people are on Henderson for his weaknesses while a lot of these same people give De Gea a remarkably easy time in spite of his own.
Its actually the opposite I see on here. People slaugter De Gea for every goal. Weird thing is, the issues with De Gea are clear for us all, but Hendo isnt exactly good at what De Gea does bad, meanwhile Hendo is often terrible at stopping balls (see the videos above) and most of the goals he has conceded from shots where shots that I expect De Gea to keep out every time.

We need to upgrade on De Gea, but Henderson is, at best, a sidegrade.
If we can get money for Henderson we need to cash in and then find the right upgrade on De Gea.

GazTheLegend

1/20 on to go to Newcastle now, Samuel Luckhurst, the M.E.N. and Newcastle sources are saying that the only holdup is we are waiting for a replacement signing before we greenlight the deal. I hope all the Hendo doubters are right because he looks sure to be a mapgie soon. Good signing for them either way and sure to be an upgrade on Darlow and Dubravka at least.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
1/20 on to go to Newcastle now, Samuel Luckhurst, the M.E.N. and Newcastle sources are saying that the only holdup is we are waiting for a replacement signing before we greenlight the deal. I hope all the Hendo doubters are right because he looks sure to be a mapgie soon. Good signing for them either way and sure to be an upgrade on Darlow and Dubravka at least.
Loan or permanent?

Status
Not open for further replies.