Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
If Newcastle were to offer £40M, as highly unlikely as that sounds, then the club would be insane to turn it down. He's too good to spend his career sat on the bench, but he's not going to make it here so it would make sense for him to go somewhere where he'll play.

As others have said, the fact we're paying him £100,000 per week is.....not good. I can understand why, he was a hot property at the time with a potentially high transfer value and a chance of becoming our number one keeper. But that hasn't turned out that way and now we're paying him an excessive amount for virtually nothing.
If we were going to back him with a big contract then we really should have backed him, and not having him hanging around whilst play DdG week in week out. We can’t keep on doing this halfway house with our players. Either give them the contract and play them or let them go when there’s a market for them. It’s another example of Woody (and Judge’s) incompetence.

I personally would have made Hendo our number 1 for a season and got rid of DdG. But anyway, if Newcastle are offering anything over £25m for him we should be biting their hand off.

And saying that, we really need to find an upgrade on DdG as well. He’s just not good enough.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I want Henderson over De gea to start next season but if 40 million is offered then I’d just take it and use it.

it’s a transfer fee that can in itself buy a better gK than henderson.

matt23

An academy product that hasn't established himself as a Premier League player is earning a hundred grand a fecking week?

Cool

IrishRedDevil

Our wage structure has 4 fixed tiers. It's so easy to get money here.

£60k per week, £110k per week, £250k per week and £400k per week.

Can kick a football? £60k per week.
Been here for 2+ years? £110k per week.
First team player? £250k per week.
Famous name? £400k per week.

miked99

If we were going to back him with a big contract then we really should have backed him, and not having him hanging around whilst play DdG week in week out. We can’t keep on doing this halfway house with our players. Either give them the contract and play them or let them go when there’s a market for them. It’s another example of Woody (and Judge’s) incompetence.

I personally would have made Hendo our number 1 for a season and got rid of DdG. But anyway, if Newcastle are offering anything over £25m for him we should be biting their hand off.

And saying that, we really need to find an upgrade on DdG as well. He’s just not good enough.
I think we expected him to do a lot better than he did. He's been really disappointing and at the same time DDG has refound his form. I've seen this happen a lot with keepers at United, Ben Foster is probably the ultimate example. Everyone thought he was going to be world-class and a shoe in to be United keeper for years. But when his time came, he wilted under the pressure. It's a big jersey to fill.

But I do agree in general - this whole giving fat contracts out to squad options to protect their market value needs to stop. Hopefully it will now.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I think we expected him to do a lot better than he did. He's been really disappointing and at the same time DDG has refound his form. I've seen this happen a lot with keepers at United, Ben Foster is probably the ultimate example. Everyone thought he was going to be world-class and a shoe in to be United keeper for years. But when his time came, he wilted under the pressure. It's a big jersey to fill.
I don't get the 'been really disappointing'. When he got a run of games last season he had a few shaky moments, made definite mistakes on two or three goals we conceded, but otherwise was quite good. Not brilliant, but good. Much better than De Gea had been for the previous three seasons, and as an all-round keeper I'd say better than De Gea has been this season. Even this season when De Gea has supposedly been back to something close to his best he also has made numerous mistakes on goals that we conceded.

Bondi77

I don't get the 'been really disappointing'. When he got a run of games last season he had a few shaky moments, made definite mistakes on two or three goals we conceded, but otherwise was quite good. Not brilliant, but good. Much better than De Gea had been for the previous three seasons, and as an all-round keeper I'd say better than De Gea has been this season. Even this season when De Gea has supposedly been back to something close to his best he also has made numerous mistakes on goals that we conceded.
Spot on.
Hendo is a good all round keeper and DDG is one of if not the best shot stopper the Premier League has seen....simple as that.

Lyng

Hendo is a good allround keeper. If we can get 40 million for him we need to cash in. I wager we could buy Sanchez from Brighton for the same which would be a perfect upgrade on De Gea.

JB7

You are absolutely correct and the statistics back up the eye-view. Both the individual statistics and the team statistics. But people don't want to see that and only remember the two errors against AC Milan and Liverpool, as if De Gea hasn't made errors just as bad, if not worse, for goals on at least ten occasions this season. And that's without even considering the chance prevention which is, of course, completely non-existent in De Gea's game.

Hendo is a good allround keeper. If we can get 40 million for him we need to cash in. I wager we could buy Sanchez from Brighton for the same which would be a perfect upgrade on De Gea.
But I do also agree with this. If we could bring in £30m+ and use it to bring in a proper goalkeeper then it's good business.

Mmm-Qatarian

Genuinely think this guy is the most unfairly shat on player we have.

He came into the side mid-season in 2020/21 and the defence almost instantly improved, made a couple of bad mistakes (as every player does), then got COVID which coincided with De Gea's shot-stopping spiking.

I keep seeing people talking as though Henderson was absolutely shite for us but the only evidence provided for this is, what, two or three bad games? At the start of the season the consensus was that he'd earned the number one spot and looked set to take it before he got COVID. His reputation seems to have taken a hit purely because he's been out of the side; I don't know what he's actually done to deserve any of this criticism.

Oranges038

He came into the side mid-season in 2020/21 and the defence almost instantly improved, made a couple of bad mistakes (as every player does), then got COVID which coincided with De Gea's shot-stopping spiking.

I keep seeing people talking as though Henderson was absolutely shite for us but the only evidence provided for this is, what, two or three bad games? At the start of the season the consensus was that he'd earned the number one spot and looked set to take it before he got COVID. His reputation seems to have taken a hit purely because he's been out of the side; I don't know what he's actually done to deserve any of this criticism.
It's because people think this is the worst goal ever conceded, mostly because it was against Liverpool and it sticks out in the memory.

But at the same, they somehow choose to totally ignore this.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

Problem is what he didn't do; saving shots. With him it is all about those "invisible" stats; he is vocal, he is a leader, he is great passer, commander, sweeper keeper, bla bla bla ...but i am still waiting that he saves some tough shot. Oh yes, his positioning is laughable.

He is just not United material. Overrated as feck

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It's because people think this is the worst goal ever conceded, mostly because it was against Liverpool and it sticks out in the memory.

But at the same, they somehow choose to totally ignore this.

Wow, great examples. One keeper positioned himself like amateur and other is on the ground being injured. Excellent example.

Mmm-Qatarian

Problem is what he didn't do; saving shots. With him it is all about those "invisible" stats; he is vocal, he is a leader, he is great passer, commander, sweeper keeper, bla bla bla ...but i am still waiting that he saves some tough shot. Oh yes, his positioning is laughable.

The only season in which Henderson and De Gea have both played meaningful minutes, Henderson posted better shot-stopping numbers. It was nothing incredible, granted, but then he was also nearly twice as good at stopping crosses and sweeping.

If I can't use these statistics to make my case then what the feck can I use? Am I only allowed to base my arguments on "Dean Henderson fail compilations" or something?

Caesar2290

You shouldn't judge a GK based on saves alone. When he was in goal our defense looked for the first time like they weren't deer caught in headlights with Dean behind them. Can't say the same for De Gea.

FerociousCorgis

even if you think henderson is better than DDG, no idea how people can think henderson is the answer long term as a great modern gk. Sell him while he still has value, and if anything identify the modern goalkeeper they want to develop and bring him in while DDG allows him to ease into the league. Should be relatively easy to buy a cheap young gk that they feel can develop into that with the money from hendo, while having leftovers to help the overall fund.

Longshanks

Wow, great examples. One keeper positioned himself like amateur and other is on the ground being injured. Excellent example.
Like an amateur? When mo salah one of the worlds best finisher runs through clean on goal from the half way line there isn't a huge amount of hope for any GK. In all honesty it isn't the greatest piece of Goalkeeping in the world granted but I have seen far worse from de gea

Oranges038

He wasn't really injured though, was he?

He was up a few seconds later when he realised the ref wasn't falling for it and gave the goal.

Oranges038

Had a higher save % than DDG did for last season until he was replaced and the previous 2 before that. Oh and it was higher than DDG's this season too.

But he never made any saves?

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
No season long loan rubbish. Sell him and get money for other areas in the squad. This loan arrangement stuff has never worked. Andreas is still on United book when he should have been sold years ago

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Had a higher save % than DDG did for last season until he was replaced and the previous 2 before that. Oh and it was higher than DDG's this season too.

But he never made any saves?
Some of you talk about his run of games like it was whole season and like he was top class. It was 15 games or so and it was nothing special from him. Against minor teams he saved what he must and against City and Pool he saved nothing. You should rewatch those games and see those shots.
He saves what every average gk would save too. And that is it. Any better shot and it is a goal.

GazTheLegend

@Andycoleno9 Henderson has made some absolutely unbelievable saves, most of which for Sheffield United. You can't just disregard his ability there, he had that side in top four contention he was that good that season for crying out loud. He was carrying them, for real.

GazTheLegend

watch some of these saves (with the obnoxious music muted of course), I am kind of amazed that people think Henderson is a terrible shot stopper or something.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
@Andycoleno9 Henderson has made some absolutely unbelievable saves, most of which for Sheffield United. You can't just disregard his ability there, he had that side in top four contention he was that good that season for crying out loud. He was carrying them, for real.
And that is his level. I am not saying that he is shit. He is decent PL goalkeeper for middle/bottom PL teams.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Some of you talk about his run of games like it was whole season and like he was top class. It was 15 games or so and it was nothing special from him. Against minor teams he saved what he must and against City and Pool he saved nothing. You should rewatch those games and see those shots.
He saves what every average gk would save too. And that is it. Any better shot and it is a goal.
I would back an average shot-stopper with a good all-round game to concede less and assist his team to score more than a great shot-stopper who is one of the worst in the league at every other aspect of goalkeeping.

Born2Lose

watch some of these saves (with the obnoxious music muted of course), I am kind of amazed that people think Henderson is a terrible shot stopper or something.
Yeah but he's cheating there, we all know as United fans that goalies aren't allowed to come out of the 6 yard box.

Oranges038

I was waiting for the "he only played against the weak teams" bullshit argument.

How many goals did DDG concede against City and Liverpool this season?

The only time in the last 3 seasons the average number of goals conceded has dropped below one was when Henderson played.

That means on average DDG has been conceding at least a goal a game against everyone, good teams and bad. Whereas Henderson was very part of bringing that below one. Which is why he kept the same amount of clean sheets while playing in 10 less games overall than DDG and why the win % of the team went from 50% with DDG to almost 70% with Henderson.

GazTheLegend

And that is his level. I am not saying that he is shit. He is decent PL goalkeeper for middle/bottom PL teams.
He literally dragged the team that finished bottom of the league a season later to 9th. That's more than decent.

Pickle85

Ey? Didn't they finish 9th?

GazTheLegend

@Oranges038 yep and our best performance of maybe any season was Vs city in that 2-0 win with Hendo in goal. Somehow that gets forgotten. I can't help thinking that a lot of de Gea's goals have been seriously preventable - thinking particularly Vs brighton. And survivorship bias is what makes people think shots that would have looked "unsaveable" to de Gea (like Vs Brighton) would suddenly look like decent saves, maybe to a few other goalkeepers.

Pickle85

At the start of the season they were ahead of us in the league and going strong. I remember being genuinely concerned about playing them.
To say they were in contention for top four is a massive stretch. As is the implication that Henderson dragged them there.

I feel like I'm living in a bizarre opposite world in such ddg hasn't yet again been one of our best performers this season. Whether he's the answer long term, I doubt, but he's head and shoulders above Henderson. Who is also, apparently, a bit of a tool to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.