Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

city-puma

the team needs tougher mentality overall. So, I would like to see Henderson play more.

hobbers

Absolute that he will get the no.1 jersey at United. 100%.
Okay well don't be too upset when we loan him out and never see him again.

Not sure why anyone would want such a painfully average keeper as our next number 1. We're not Wolves.

united for life

What would be better? Loaning him or keeping him for cup games? Probably a loan move in the premier league would be the best think for him this season. Heaton can be our #2 for this year with Henderson getting some game time and experience elsewhere. He has good potential to bs our #1 in the future

JB7

I'm not sure I would agree with that. There are a couple I think he could have done better with, though. He has made many world class saves this season. I don't think Henderson would have made some of those saves. De Gea has been far better this season than he has at any point since summer 2018.

I would still be fine with Henderson getting a shot. His sweeping and control of his area is a huge asset that we don't get with De Gea.
I’m looking at the whole picture around the goal, for example the obvious fault at Atalanta was the first goal going straight through him but my view is the second goal is just as bad because a proactive goalkeeper just comes & deals with the ball passes forward into the penalty area. Same with City’s second goal, it’s a cross into the 6 yard box that a goalkeeper should easily deal with. Watford the same, the obvious one is the one that goes through him but one of the first half goals comes from a ball into the box he should easily deal with which we failed to clear and they scored.

He is an outstanding shotstopper and I agree he’s playing a level above what he has done for the previous couple of years but realistically that level isn’t good enough for a top side, particularly if we intend on playing an incredibly high level as we did last weekend because the gap between defence and goalkeeper is far too big. Also I do think a lot of saves his makes are massively overblown & that if he was a) more proactive in dealing with danger initially and b) better positioned, that a lot of his excellent looking saves either wouldn’t need to be made at all or would just be simple catches.

Ace of Spades

Okay well don't be too upset when we loan him out and never see him again.

Not sure why anyone would want such a painfully average keeper as our next number 1. We're not Wolves.
Don't be upset when he becomes number 1 and becomes a mainstay.

He is a very good keeper that is good enough for us.

goodman organelles

From what I have seen so he feels like a Ben Foster level keeper.
A good premier league keeper but not a top level keeper (although part of what held Foster back was his mentality, he openly admits he couldn’t handle the pressure of being a united keeper)
There’s no shame in that, to be a premier league level keeper puts him in a very small percentage of very food keepers but to be one of the very top level goalkeepers is an even smaller percentage, very very few will make it to that level.
I hope I am proved wrong, it would be great to see him reach that level but at the moment I can see him carving out a good premier league career.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
De Gea's shot stopping ability is significantly greater than Henderson's. Whatever else De Gea's flaws as a keeper may be, it's virtually undeniable that De Gea is the greatest shot stopper on the player today and has been over the last decade. I like Henderson a lot, but we must careful with our praise.
De Gea was a great shot-stopper. Hell, an argument could be had that he was the greatest of all time. However he's been nowhere near that level for the last three seasons as he's let in plenty of shots he should have saved, and after a good start to this season there have been signs over the last month or so that he's starting to drop away again.

The difference between them in shot-stopping ability does rely on De Gea. If he is at his best then obviously he's significantly better. No shame in that, as like I said he was one of the best of all time. But he hasn't been consistently at his best for three and a half seasons now, and Henderson has arguably been better at that in the last two seasons. And seeing as that is De Gea's only real strength, if he doesn't get back to being absolutely amazing consistently (and 'consistently' is the key word there) then there's really no reason to keep him as #1.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
We need to sell him while we can get decent fee. He still has value on market. Loan should not be an option

Pickle85

Don't be upset when he becomes number 1 and becomes a mainstay.

He is a very good keeper that is good enough for us.
I don't think he's a very good keeper. He's fine, probably midtable level, but not United standard long term imo.

izec

We need to sell him while we can get decent fee. He still has value on market. Loan should not be an option
Why should we sell our future number 1? We would still need to buy a replacement then. Especially under the new management, he would deserve a year as a starter before we make any sort of conclusion.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Why should we sell our future number 1? We would still need to buy a replacement then. Especially under the new management, he would deserve a year as a starter before we make any sort of conclusion.
You remind me on me and Martial. For years i blamed everybody and everything about him. I thought that he can be best lw in PL but Jose, Ole, injuries, bad luck bla bla bla...

When he will be no1? He is 25 and DDG is 31. Ddg has at least 4 good years in front of him. Not to mention that no matter of DDG's form, Henderson is an average gk. Nothing more and nothing else. He saves what he must and that is it. When he pulled some amazing save? That thing how he is some kind of sweeper keeper and vocal and shit like that are exactly that; bs. Desperation to find something in him which doesn'r exist.

And why exactly he deserves one year as a starter? He had it last year and he was average. Some of his reactions were amateurish.
So yes, we must sell while value is still high.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Why does everything have to be a guarantee these days.

He's obviously not 100% certain to get the no. 1 jersey and is obviously not 100% not to get it either.

Why does everyone go on as if they're 100% certain of things that we clearly don't know the answer to yet.

izec

You remind me on me and Martial. For years i blamed everybody and everything about him. I thought that he can be best lw in PL but Jose, Ole, injuries, bad luck bla bla bla...

When he will be no1? He is 25 and DDG is 31. Ddg has at least 4 good years in front of him. Not to mention that no matter of DDG's form, Henderson is an average gk. Nothing more and nothing else. He saves what he must and that is it. When he pulled some amazing save? That thing how he is some kind of sweeper keeper and vocal and shit like that are exactly that; bs. Desperation to find something in him which doesn'r exist.

And why exactly he deserves one year as a starter? He had it last year and he was average. Some of his reactions were amateurish.
So yes, we must sell while value is still high.
The difference is that you still don't see it with De Gea. I don't have favorites mate, I just see it as it is. Henderson is better for us than De Gea, De Gea can pull off some nice saves, but we struggle as a unit. It would be like Pogba pulling off some great passes, but not putting in the effort. Pogba is better than Fred, but Fred putting in the effort is more valuable than Pogba being half arsed and doing what he wants.

While De Gea is a different character to Paul of course, he just isn't good enough leading the defensive line, on the ball and mentality wise. He is part of the unit, football evolved from 2002 where we had 4 world class defenders and the GL only had to do some spectacular saves every now and then. Keeping De Gea, and the discussion will keep on, as he isn't good enough to be our number 1. If we well Henderson, we need someone else, as De Gea isn't the answer. No one wins the big trophies in Europe or the league with a GK sticking to his line, and afraid of high balls. He is weak, pulling off a couple of great saves is good, but not enough. His Arsenal goal summed him up, the discussion will continue. Just because you hope it won't. I will come back to his performances thread in 3 years and discuss the same topics.

Henderson never was a starter. He always had De Gea breathing down his neck. I'd like to see him with the number 1 spot and how he improves, or not for that matter. I think he would cement his place here, as he is the better package and what we need.

Ace of Spades

Why does everything have to be a guarantee these days.

He's obviously not 100% certain to get the no. 1 jersey and is obviously not 100% not to get it either.

Why does everyone go on as if they're 100% certain of things that we clearly don't know the answer to yet.
But that is way too sensible, you have to be knee jerk and pick a side.

This place doesn't need that kind of balance here. Pick one, you 100% in or 100% out ??

acnumber9

Nothing mediocre about a club 3 points ahead of us. Us being the team that starts DDG.
Plenty mediocre about West Ham’s history. A temporary league position doesn’t change what West always have been and will be again.

Mylock

Time to move him or De Gea on. It looks like de gea is number 1️⃣ so I would sell him if we got a decent offer.

::sonny::

Not surprised, many players wants out because lack of rotation and playing time even with the squad in a mid table

ShoePolish

Not even on subs bench today as he seemingly pushes for a loan to get game time. I was excited about him coming back when he was playing for Sheffield, as he kept making headlines for the right reasons, but when he actually was given his chance, he rarely convinced me, our defence seemed to be timid about getting opposition close to our goal and I don't seem to recall him having any WC saves, despite him being our first choice goalie for almost half a season (correct me if I'm wrong). Then that Salah goal at OT really did it for me, GK proper positioning should be their instinct, what he did there was absolutely palm on the face moment.

In terms of his ability, I'd say because of his height, he edges Pickford for me, but that's not really setting the bar really high. He'll have a good career somewhere else, I just don't think he's good enough to be our first goalkeeper.

SirScholes

So he is not allowed to leave and doesn’t even make the bench in a cup game…
Yer that’s fine
We don’t owe him anything at this point midway through a season we are screwing up

imagine he gets sold and De Gea gets injured?

RedDevil@84

Unless it is for silly money, he is not going anywhere. He is a good backup keeper.
If he really wants out, he should pray someone coughs up loads of money and we find a suitable young keeper better than him.

Caesar2290

You guys are hillarious. On one hand every moans that we have a toxic dressing room and lots of players who either have a poor attitude or don't want to be here.

On the other you want to keep an unhappy player that doesn't want to be here.

If he wants to go, he goes, it's as simple as that. When he had his contract renewed it was stipulated that he would battle it out for DDG for the No.1 spot.

Instead he got relegated to a back up keeper and people wonder why he's upset.

I would worry more about this being another player that our corporate overlords promised one thing and then did something totally different. You can add him to the list.

RedDevil@84

When he had his contract renewed it was stipulated that he would battle it out for DDG for the No.1 spot.

Err... That is how a "battle it out" works. You lose and you become backup keeper, because there is literally just one position for a keeper. Most teams have a first choice keeper who plays majority of games, while backup keeper plays quite less.

There is nothing wrong in Henderson asking for an out. But, there is a contract out there and it is up to him to be a professional and battle it out

Caesar2290

Err... That is how a "battle it out" works. You lose and you become backup keeper, because there is literally just one position for a keeper. Most teams have a first choice keeper who plays majority of games, while backup keeper plays quite less.

There is nothing wrong in Henderson asking for an out. But, there is a contract out there and it is up to him to be a professional and battle it out
Except he didn't battle it out. He was immediately relegated to the bench the moment De Gea showed a glimpse of his old self and that was that.

He's on what... 2 appearences this season?

Kind hard to battle it out when you don't get picked in the starting 11.

Also this whole "he has a contract and has to honor" narrative is bogus. We have so many players "honoring" their contracts and creating a toxic atmosphere. If they want to go, they have to go. Simple as.

Nobody should be forced to stay here just because they have a contract.

RedDevil@84

Except he didn't battle it out. He was immediately relegated to the bench the moment De Gea showed a glimpse of his old self and that was that.

He's on what... 2 appearences this season?
How does it compare with other teams, say Chelsea or Liverpool. Mendy and Allison pretty much played all season I think, at least all major games. And if I remember correctly Henderson was ill at start of season, paving way for De Gea cementing the spot.

Dante

Average bang
Henderson's definitely off.

I still think we need a better all-rounder than DDG. It's a shame we won't be able to test that out for free. But, hopefully, Henderson's transfer fee will go towards buying a decent replacement.

CloneMC16

You guys are hillarious. On one hand every moans that we have a toxic dressing room and lots of players who either have a poor attitude or don't want to be here.

On the other you want to keep an unhappy player that doesn't want to be here.

If he wants to go, he goes, it's as simple as that. When he had his contract renewed it was stipulated that he would battle it out for DDG for the No.1 spot.

I would worry more about this being another player that our corporate overlords promised one thing and then did something totally different. You can add him to the list.
Agreed. Keeping unhappy players is not worth it. I don't particularly want to lose him, but if he wants to leave, I think he should be allowed to do so. There isn't any good in having a decent chunk of your squad unhappy. That's where we are right now.

How does it compare with other teams, say Chelsea or Liverpool. Mendy and Allison pretty much played all season I think, at least all major games. And if I remember correctly Henderson was ill at start of season, paving way for De Gea cementing the spot.
It doesn't compare when their backup keeper is happy to be backup. Kepa has been playing for Chelsea in the Carabao Cup. Henderson wants to play and we're not going to give him any opportunities. I don't see the benefit in keeping an unhappy player that isn't getting any game time, anyway. We have Heaton here to take on the backup role.

Status
Not open for further replies.