Dean Henderson image 26

Dean Henderson England flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

steffyr2

Watching. Leaving Utd is good for players. Staying at Utd...not so good.

Abraxas

You couldn't make it up.

Actually, you probably could. Everything that possibly could go wrong seems to with United. Expecting a worldie of a season from this lad. Not even because he's great. But just because it is cosmically ordained.

Born2Lose

Guy was right, he knew Ten Hag would keep him here, but leave him on the bench where he'd have to watch the clown embarrass himself time after time with no repurcissions.

izec

My number 1, said it since he returned from Sheffield.

Only needed game time. He would learn and improve. We had a Dave replacement ready, and still fecked it up

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Guy was right, he knew Ten Hag would keep him here but leave him on the bench while he had to watch the clown embarrass himself time after time with no repurcissions.
Ironically, if he had stayed he could have been in line for a call up to the first team.

lsd

The Oracle
Hopefully adds a few million onto his transfer fee

Born2Lose

Ironically, if he had stayed he could have been in line for a call up to the first team.
He's heard that promise before and had it broken, don't blame him for being ambitious. I wish Phil Jones and some of the other dossers we have here were the same.

ArjenIsM3

Guy was right, he knew Ten Hag would keep him here but leave him on the bench while he had to watch the clown embarrass himself time after time with no repurcissions.
He was just mad at United for keeping him here last season and not giving him a lot of games. Ten Hag was not even here then. Ten Hag may well have given him a chance now if he'd stayed.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Command a big fee for him in the summer and sign a ‘keeper to replace De Gea. Simple

Nero

If you want a keeper who is also shite with his feet, look no further than Henderson.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He was just mad at United for keeping him here last season and not giving him a lot of games. Ten Hag was not even here then. Ten Hag may well have given him a chance now if he'd stayed.
Tbf if he'd been promised games and then barely had any I can understand him being unhappy and not being prepared to risk the same thing happening again.

Edwards6

Remember when everyone was laughing at him last week? He'll prove this season he's too good to be sat on our bench

NinjaFletch

If you want a keeper who is also shite with his feet, look no further than Henderson.
Agreed, Henderson has big flaws as a modern keeper.

But he's demonstrably better than De Gea, and demonstrably better at most of the other aspects of being a keeper that make De Gea impossible to build around.

At the very least Henderson was serviceable until next season when he could have been upgraded upon. De Gea isn't and we'll suffer for it.

ArjenIsM3

Tbf if he'd been promised games and then barely had any I can understand him being unhappy and not being prepared to risk the same thing happening again.
Oh yeah I get that and I would probably have done the same if I were Henderson but don't blame Ten Hag for something he didn't do.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I don't like Henderson as a keeper but I think the message it would send would've been more beneficial than any quality one or the other have if we got rid of De Gea. Hard with his contract though.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
He’s miles better than De Gea and the defence looked so much better with him in net. Another Utd mistake…

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Quick everyone let's overreact based off of one game!
It's not one game though, is it?

18/19: Henderson was better for Sheffield United (admittedly in the Championship) than De Gea was for Man Utd
19/20: Henderson was better for Sheffield United (in the Premiership this time) than De Gea was for Man Utd
20/21: Henderson was better for Man Utd than De Gea was for Man Utd.

If anything, it's the De Gea fans who point to 'one game' here and there when Henderson (the relatively inexperienced guy) made a mistake, ignoring the constant mistakes coming from De Gea.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
That penalty save fist bump was definitely a middle finger to United and his haters.

Phil Osophy

It's amazing that we allowed De Gea to recover the number 1 last season after all we saw since 2018 just because Henderson wasn't temporarily available.

When Henderson took his place we stopped leaking goals left, right and center every week and we looked far more composed defending as a unit with him as a keeper, and the staff reasonably told him he was the number one for the coming season. And as soon as he gets injured De Gea is put back there as the undisputed keeper and Henderson doesn't even have the chance to challenge him or get his place back. It's strange, even suspicious I'd say.

It doesn't justify any negative behaviour from Henderson and I think he shot himself by the way he's managed this, but he's right at feeling absolutely played here. Only in a dysfunctional club the worst player will get protected because of loyalty or status over the guy who's performing better and can still evolve and get moulded accordingly.

I don't know if Henderson could have been "the long term solution" that many seem to want here, but this is why some of us wanted to see him over a longer period and not just a pair of months. There was a logic on playing the one who offered more, showed more willingness to improve and play a more expansive game. There's no possible excuse to keep a player who's been underperforming since 2018 and doesn't show improvement in any of his weak areas.

That laziness at club level and not being ruthless at fixing problems is killing us. Clubs have a DoF and a football structure to help managers at improving the squad, spotting problems and bringing solutions. We have such a limited keeper doing nothing for years while earning ridiculous wages and everyone at the club keep acting like nothing happens here, and there were even rumours about a new extension some months ago. Lunacy is not enough to describe this club.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Command a big fee for him in the summer and sign a ‘keeper to replace De Gea. Simple
Yeah, that does at least give the decision to let him go on loan some sort of logic. Because we sure as shit won’t get anyone willing to sign De Gea for big money. Not with his form over the last few years and (crucially) his salary.

I the long term we definitely need a keeper who is better than DDG and better than Henderson.

Lyng

Yeah, that does at least give the decision to let him go on loan some sort of logic. Because we sure as shit won’t get anyone willing to sign De Gea for big money. Not with his form over the last few years and (crucially) his salary.

I the long term we definitely need a keeper who is better than DDG and better than Henderson.
I wonder what caused us to let him go out on loan. Surely Ten Hag would have preferred more options.

mavradal

Great performance from him today, glad he's proving everybody at United wrong. People mad at him for spitting facts are just salty lads with agendas.

He's heard that promise before and had it broken, don't blame him for being ambitious. I wish Phil Jones and some of the other dossers we have here were the same.
Well said, he would've been a fool to believe any promises coming his way.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I wonder what caused us to let him go out on loan. Surely Ten Hag would have preferred more options.
As per his own comments, he pushed for it and ten Hag didn’t even get a chance to evaluate him before he went.

redcucumber

You couldn't make it up.

Actually, you probably could. Everything that possibly could go wrong seems to with United. Expecting a worldie of a season from this lad. Not even because he's great. But just because it is cosmically ordained.
:lol: Yep.

Fortunately De Gea's contract is up next summer. Less fortunately for us is the fact that the club have the option for an additional year, which they will no doubt activate in an attempt to 'protect the asset'.

NinjaFletch

:lol: Yep.

Fortunately De Gea's contract is up next summer. Less fortunately for us is the fact that the club have the option for an additional year, which they will no doubt activate in an attempt to 'protect the asset'.
We'll do worse than that. Well extend him on an increased salary becuase he's last season's player of the season and 'one of our few world class players'.

redcucumber

We'll do worse than that. Well extend him on an increased salary becuase he's last season's player of the season and 'one of our few world class players'.
All bets are off at this point - we've already done the same thing with Bruno.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
‘Good with his feet’ is such an English term.

Henderson is miles behind Alison and Ederson but he’s closer to them than DDG as a modern keeper.

It’s not a case of how good he passes 40 yards or having the ability to pass a line breaking 20 years pass. It’s his bravery. He leaves his line. He reads play across the whole final third and not just the final 6 yards.

He’s closer to what ETH needs than De Gea.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Exactly... I completely understand wanting something different to DDG... But Henderson definitely isn't it. He's terrible with his feet.

He played 6 short passes today... 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.