Dean Henderson image 26

Dean Henderson England flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Please use this forum for discussing actual player performances not transfer rumours, hair styles and other off topic talking points. Discuss those in the Manchester United Forum.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Henderson was having a good loan at Forest until injury hit. So Forest went and got Navas on loan from PSG. And now that the season is over, which of those 2 do you think Forest want to sign permanently? Yup, it's Henderson. I'd really like to see him given a fair chance to be United's #1. I know that so many people will disagree, but I have no idea what they are basing that on. Give the guy a chance. In only 18 games this year Henderson vs De Gea

-----------------------P-----HC-----PS---SC---CS
De Gea----------12------14------1----12---17
Henderson----8--------18-----2-----11---6

P=punches HC=High Claims PS=Penalty Saves SC=Sweeper Clearances CS=Clean Sheets

Some may look at that and say "their stats are quite similar". But remember. De Gea played 38 games. Henderson only played 18 games.

I'm not saying that Henderson is the answer. I'm really not sure. But from what I've seen of him he is definitely more aggressive at protecting his area and better with distribution. Where he lacks is he isn't as good as a shot stopper as prime De Gea. But if that's what we are going to hold over any new keeper who comes in, then we will have a hard time finding anyone because De Gea used to make saves no other keeper could make. So yeah, I think Henderson should be given a shot. I don't want to see us give up on him just because he isn't the "hipster" keeper everyone is looking for. He may be our "Ramsdale". You know, the guy that Arsenal signed that nobody ever expected to be anything more than a backup keeper...

city-puma

Henderson was having a good loan at Forest until injury hit. So Forest went and got Navas on loan from PSG. And now that the season is over, which of those 2 do you think Forest want to sign permanently? Yup, it's Henderson. I'd really like to see him given a fair chance to be United's #1. I know that so many people will disagree, but I have no idea what they are basing that on. Give the guy a chance. In only 18 games this year Henderson vs De Gea

Some may look at that and say "their stats are quite similar". But remember. De Gea played 38 games. Henderson only played 18 games.

I'm not saying that Henderson is the answer. I'm really not sure. But from what I've seen of him he is definitely more aggressive at protecting his area and better with distribution. Where he lacks is he isn't as good as a shot stopper as prime De Gea. But if that's what we are going to hold over any new keeper who comes in, then we will have a hard time finding anyone because De Gea used to make saves no other keeper could make. So yeah, I think Henderson should be given a shot. I don't want to see us give up on him just because he isn't the "hipster" keeper everyone is looking for. He may be our "Ramsdale". You know, the guy that Arsenal signed that nobody ever expected to be anything more than a backup keeper...
The issue is that Henderson doesn’t look like a ball playing GK, at least from the few years he has been with Sheffield United and us, it doesn’t seem he is.

NZT-One

Waiting another year with selling him will decrease the amount we can get even more. This is where I'd trust the people who have daily business with the actual people, if they don't think, he is the answer, then good bye. He seems to be a good goal keeper no question about it and maybe we could add a "right for first refusal clause" in the deal but the time before VDS has taught us a lesson that stop gaps aren't a good idea with goal keepers. If we want a new number one, bring one in we trust to be capable of it.

lsd

The Oracle

No a million times no we gave him a chance and he proved he isn't good enough. Add his attitude and get rid of him as quickly as possible.

I will never understand anyone who wants to see Henderson playing again for this club never

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
Henderson was having a good loan at Forest until injury hit. So Forest went and got Navas on loan from PSG. And now that the season is over, which of those 2 do you think Forest want to sign permanently?
Navas has already said he wants to finish his career closer to home so that answers your question?
On the evidence of yesterday, De Gea isn’t the De Gea of old either.
The Question is, does Hendo want to go back to United?

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Navas has already said he wants to finish his career closer to home so that answers your question?
Actually Navas said he wants to stay in the premier league. And De Gea hasn't been good for a very long time. This year has just highlighted what I've been saying for years

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
No a million times no we gave him a chance and he proved he isn't good enough. Add his attitude and get rid of him as quickly as possible.

I will never understand anyone who wants to see Henderson playing again for this club never
We did not give him a chance. He played a handful of games and played well. The issue was that the agenda against him was real by the "De Gea faithful" who kept highlighting every little thing that "de Gea would have saved".

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
No it isn't. The question is if he's anywhere close to good enough for United and the answer is no.

He's in the 12th percentile for shot stopping across the top 5 divisions, and 17th percentile for save percentage. He's objectively bad at keeping the ball out of the net by PL standards. He's just as bad as De Gea at kicking - long hoofs up the field that go out for throw ins half the time are the order of the day any time I've seen him.

He can catch crosses at an above average rate and save penalties. That's it. Not within the universe of what is required to be a Man Utd first choice goalkeeper.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Waiting another year with selling him will decrease the amount we can get even more. This is where I'd trust the people who have daily business with the actual people, if they don't think, he is the answer, then good bye. He seems to be a good goal keeper no question about it and maybe we could add a "right for first refusal clause" in the deal but the time before VDS has taught us a lesson that stop gaps aren't a good idea with goal keepers. If we want a new number one, bring one in we trust to be capable of it.
What I'm saying is that the grass isn't always greener elsewhere. I'd rather see him given a real chance. If it doesn't work, fine. When he did play he had Maguire and Lindelof, along with McFred and he did well. Imagine how good he could possibly do with our new defense and a proper DM

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
Actually Navas said he wants to stay in the premier league. And De Gea hasn't been good for a very long time. This year has just highlighted what I've been saying for years
Has he said that? I’ve seen reports of Prem clubs wanting him but in an interview I saw, he himself said he wants to go to Mexico?

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
No it isn't. The question is if he's anywhere close to good enough for United and the answer is no.

He's in the 12th percentile for shot stopping across the top 5 divisions, and 17th percentile for save percentage. He's objectively bad at keeping the ball out of the net by PL standards. He's just as bad as De Gea at kicking - long hoofs up the field that go out for throw ins half the time are the order of the day any time I've seen him.

He can catch crosses at an above average rate and save penalties. That's it. Not within the universe of what is required to be a Man Utd first choice goalkeeper.
Who have you got lined up to replace De Gea and how much would they cost. I would presume a centre forward and midfield are you priorities so do United have the budget for a keeper when you have Hendo already?

ThanksBoss26

Who have you got lined up to replace De Gea and how much would they cost. I would presume a centre forward and midfield are you priorities so do United have the budget for a keeper when you have Hendo already?
Not clear by any means. Costa and Raya are the main two names I've seen but as always at this time of the year it's not easy to separate fact from fiction.

Ten Hag stating that he can't guarantee De Gea being number 1 suggests he's got something in mind however and I don't think that'll be an existing option. Henderson I expect to join yourselves.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

He was better than De Gea has been for the majority of the last five years. Still wasn't actually good enough, but that just goes to show how bad De Gea has been.

I want a better keeper than either of them, but if we're not signing another one I'd take Henderson. It's not a coincidence that our defence as a whole just so happened to click and look the strongest it had for years during the few months he was #1, with it being the only time the Maguire-Lindelof combo looked solid. It's not a coincidence that it's the only time in the last five years we conceded less than a goal per game. Both of which fell apart as soon as De Gea came back into the team.

I'm 99% certain we'll be signing another keeper anyway.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
Not clear by any means. Costa and Raya are the main two names I've seen but as always at this time of the year it's not easy to separate fact from fiction.

Ten Hag stating that he can't guarantee De Gea being number 1 suggests he's got something in mind however and I don't think that'll be an existing option. Henderson I expect to join yourselves.
I do too - at least going by how Hendo has integrated into the club. He looks to have become invested in the Forest project. The big however but being that it depends on ETH and money. There are a couple of other keepers we’ve been linked with.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
For me, a keeper is second priority after a striker, maybe even joint first with that. If there's no money for the more obvious targets like Maignan or Costa, I'd even take a ""Bravo to City" type signing, where we just find a keeper who is capable of playing football, even if he's a stopgap and is replaced after a year. Just to see how different our control of games can look with that one change.

I can't tell you how sick I am of seeing Dave meekly punt the ball to an opposition player on the halfway line every other time he has it after watching years of even City's and Liverpool's reserve keepers being able to calmly play out and help build attacks. Ten Hag found old man Pasveer when Ajax had Onana suspended and he came in and provided just what was needed. A signing of that level would be so much better than watching another year of this.

ThanksBoss26

I do too - at least going by how Hendo has integrated into the club. He looks to have become invested in the Forest project. The big however but being that it depends on ETH and money. There are a couple of other keepers we’ve been linked with.
If the rumoured £30m is the offer on the table, I expect that'd be accepted personally.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
I can't tell you how sick I am of seeing Hendo meekly punt the ball to an opposition player on the halfway line

Ironically Kelleher is one of the keepers we’ve been linked with.

Sylar

If we get 30m for him, then you would think that + 10 or so would get us a really good keeper in.
Honestly,id be happy with that, and then ideally we let DDG go, have the new keeper (who we would want for the majority of the games like DDG did this year)
And on the bench we can have Vitek as the young one + get somebody in like Heaton/Butland who can do the caraboa / fa cup early rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.