Dean Henderson has to be our #1 next season? Poll added

Who should be our first choice GK next season?

• Total voters

romufc

De Gea will have to take a pay cut because I don't see anyone giving him parity.
So he signed a new contract at manutd - you think he will take a pay cut? When have you seen a player take a pay cut 1 year into their contract?

DDG has made the most mistakes in the league since 2018, plus he’s on £400k.
Even if Hendo is the same level, we’d cut £350k of wages
How? still does not answer how do you get rid of DDG?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
So he signed a new contract at manutd - you think he will take a pay cut? When have you seen a player take a pay cut 1 year into their contract?

How? still does not answer how do you get rid of DDG?
Pay cut at a new club..

romufc

Pay cut at a new club..
he signed a new contract last year. We are in the midst of a pandemic, no one is spending money on a keeper. United will want £40m for him and he will want 300k.

I said realistic option, not one that suits you.

Which club will sign him then?

Morpheus 7

Henderson looks like he will be our next number one. It's more of a question of when. De Gea's huge mistakes have gotten way more frequent. That's said I don't think Henderson is flawless. He should have done better for them goals against Newcastle. He's playing in a team setup to not conceed with a disciplined shape.

Everyone can call for him in now, you are kidding yourself if you think it's the same to play for Sheffield United than Manchester United. The pressure and expectation is on a different level. I think one more season on loan will be perfect. Over the years many teams surprised it's coming up with great finishes. Sheffield United will be figured out next season, it will be interesting to see how the league approaches them. One year on loan, save wages and if he performs the same he's the number one. Let De Gea fight it out with Romero if the poor mistakes continue, let's give him a chance. We have a great number two. Henderson might be the future but I think people are rushing in.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
he signed a new contract last year. We are in the midst of a pandemic, no one is spending money on a keeper. United will want £40m for him and he will want 300k.

I said realistic option, not one that suits you.

Which club will sign him then?
Suits me? Suits the club and the player.

We should not carry on playing him just because he's on a huge wage. He's got a very good agent who will find him a club but he'll have to take a pay cut if he has any ambition to play for the Spanish NT.

romufc

Suits me? Suits the club and the player.

We should not carry on playing him just because he's on a huge wage. He's got a very good agent who will find him a club but he'll have to take a pay cut if he has any ambition to play for the Spanish NT.
So until he finds a new club, what shall we do with him?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Henderson looks like he will be our next number one. It's more of a question of when. De Gea's huge mistakes have gotten way more frequent. That's said I don't think Henderson is flawless. He should have done better for them goals against Newcastle. He's playing in a team setup to not conceed with a disciplined shape.

Everyone can call for him in now, you are kidding yourself if you think it's the same to play for Sheffield United than Manchester United. The pressure and expectation is on a different level. I think one more season on loan will be perfect. Over the years many teams surprised it's coming up with great finishes. Sheffield United will be figured out next season, it will be interesting to see how the league approaches them. One year on loan, save wages and if he performs the same he's the number one. Let De Gea fight it out with Romero if the poor mistakes continue, let's give him a chance. We have a great number two. Henderson might be the future but I think people are rushing in.
I'd play Romero and push the backline up and Romero's superior sweeper keeper ability will come in handy.

Judas

Open to offers
What we have done with Sanchez.
Just isn't realistic though, is it? And not a single bit of noise from the club makes me think we'd ever treat him like that, he'd need to really start chucking them in even more than he already is. Sanchez was a disaster all over the place from start to finish, De Gea has obviously had his time when he was invaluable to the club and we owed him a great deal of thanks. We just won't be throwing him out on loan like an unwanted puppy. Maybe we should because Henderson, but we won't.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Ole showing how deluded (and maybe chicken) he is:
"David is the best goalkeeper in the world. He's only conceded two goals in his last seven games for us. "He still makes match-winning saves, he's been consistently working hard in training and he's mentally strong — I'm really happy with his work..."

I'm old enough to remember when Tommy Doc insisted on playing Paddy Roche ahead of Alex Stepney - possibly costing us the title

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Just isn't realistic though, is it? And not a single bit of noise from the club makes me think we'd ever treat him like that, he'd need to really start chucking them in even more than he already is. Sanchez was a disaster all over the place from start to finish, De Gea has obviously had his time when he was invaluable to the club and we owed him a great deal of thanks. We just won't be throwing him out on loan like an unwanted puppy. Maybe we should because Henderson, but we won't.
I think if he loses his #1 spot then pride will kick in and if he has any ambition left he will move whether that be on loan or permanently.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
"David is the best goalkeeper in the world. He's only conceded two goals in his last seven games for us. "He still makes match-winning saves, he's been consistently working hard in training and he's mentally strong — I'm really happy with his work..."

I'm old enough to remember when Tommy Doc insisted on playing Paddy Roche ahead of Alex Stepney - possibly costing us the title
Tbf he has to say that or risks upsetting the apple cart. I'd be lavishing praise on De Gea too in a similar scenario. I believe Ole is spot on the way he's playing this tbh.

Andersons Dietician

I find it wild that so many people want to get rid of DeGea. People have slumps in form. Van De Sar had slumps off form when he was here so did Pete. Mistakes happen but let’s not forget the games he s kept us in pulling off worldie saves.

The only keeper I’d even consider replacing him with is Oblack because it’s quite clear to me Henderson isn’t anywhere near the quality of keeper yet. He needs another year or two on loan for me. It would be the best thing for his development and gives us time to see if DeGea can get back to form.

We’ve been in a situation where Ben Foster was supposedly the next best thing since sliced bread and he was given his Opportunity and fluffed it repeatedly. Big differences between being a goalkeeper for a big side playing in front of 50-70k.

If anything sign Henderson to another contract and send him out on loan again like Chelsea did with Courtois. When and if the time is right call him back.

romufc

What we have done with Sanchez.
If we can find a solution that does not cause a big uproar then I am happy. If PSG or someone come in for DDG and we sell him, I am happy to give Henderson the #1 spot.

Anyway, all of that is next season, what do we do with him this season? Shall we drop him and play Romero?

why not give DDG the chance to show that he can regain form?

Doesn't he deserve that much? or are we Real madrid and we will start attacking players?

DDG loves the club, yes he tried to force himself out, which was 5 years ago, since then he has been our player of the year numerous times.

romufc

So what you want Ole to go Jose mode and start criticising players in public? Isnt that exactly what fans criticised Jose for?

Now you are having a go at Ole for protecting his players in the public?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If we can find a solution that does not cause a big uproar then I am happy. If PSG or someone come in for DDG and we sell him, I am happy to give Henderson the #1 spot.

Anyway, all of that is next season, what do we do with him this season? Shall we drop him and play Romero?

why not give DDG the chance to show that he can regain form?

Doesn't he deserve that much? or are we Real madrid and we will start attacking players?

DDG loves the club, yes he tried to force himself out, which was 5 years ago, since then he has been our player of the year numerous times.
I think we're a club that will give him a amicable send off if it came to that.

Giving De Gea the chance to regain his shot stopping capability isn't gonna improve his inability to command his area or sweeper keeper ability which is poor. We should think about the collective rather than the individual in this case. Henderson may not be the answer but we should attempt to find out quickly and if needs be scour Europe for a capable well rounded keeper who is not only a good shot stopper but has the rest of the attributes in his locker.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
De Gea will have to take a pay cut because I don't see anyone giving him parity. He could dig his heels in and carry on picking his pay cheque from the bench (if such a scenario arose) but I'm hoping he'll have pride and look to move on for first team opportunities.
Thats a delicate balance to do. You piss De Gea off and he will dig his heels in.

Look at Sanchez. He could do a Bogarde which is why Ole has to make those ludicrous comments about how much he can still offer United bollocks. Ensure that Sanchez still has pride in playing.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
So what you want Ole to go Jose mode and start criticising players in public? Isnt that exactly what fans criticised Jose for?

Now you are having a go at Ole for protecting his players in the public?
No.. I'm criticising him for continuing to pick DDG

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Tbf he has to say that or risks upsetting the apple cart. I'd be lavishing praise on De Gea too in a similar scenario. I believe Ole is spot on the way he's playing this tbh.
but sadly goes on picking him... The Doc was big enough to admit he had got it wrong

Adnan

Talent Spotter
but sadly goes on picking him... The Doc was big enough to admit he had got it wrong
I think he'll carry on on picking him until the end of the season at the least.

Personally i'd put faith in Romero's superior ability to play as a sweeper keeper and push the backline up and partner Bailly with Maguire.

romufc

I think we're a club that will give him a amicable send off if it came to that.

Giving De Gea the chance to regain his shot stopping capability isn't gonna improve his inability to command his area or sweeper keeper ability which is poor. We should think about the collective rather than the individual in this case. Henderson may not be the answer but we should attempt to find out quickly and if needs be scour Europe for a capable well rounded keeper who is not only a good shot stopper but has the rest of the attributes in his locker.
I agree. The point I am getting at is it is all well and good saying replace him with Henderson. At the end of the day majority of the goalkeepers are good shot stoppers.

To succeed at Manutd you need to be good at other areas including concentration, coming off the line, command of the back 4.

Henderson at SU has not shown that because he hasn't had the chance, doesn't mean he cannot do it.

We could end up here next season with both keepers with similar deficiencies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I agree. The point I am getting at is it is all well and good saying replace him with Henderson. At the end of the day majority of the goalkeepers are good shot stoppers.

To succeed at Manutd you need to be good at other areas including concentration, coming off the line, command of the back 4.

Henderson at SU has not shown that because he hasn't had the chance, doesn't mean he cannot do it.

I agree with you.

And on a separate note some people have suggested Oblak who is also a limited keeper from what i'm told. Another shot stopper who excells in Simeone's compact system.

romufc

I agree with you.

And on a separate note some people have suggested Oblak who is also a limited keeper from what i'm told. Another shot stopper who excells in Simeone's compact system.
This is becoming the problem, people watch highlights of the great saves these keepers make, yes some are better than others. If that is the case, De Gea is still probably the best shot stopper in the league.

You would have to watch full games over highlights if you want to judge a goalkeeper. Highlights will never show how good they are coming at corners, how good their distribution is, or how well they come off the line.

Under Ole, we are playing a higher line, DDG has to anticipate long balls.

cyberman

DDG is a legned here and he has shown none of the criteria youve provided

Zambara

I don't think he is deluded.

He has stated what De Gea's reputation is and what his standards are. I see it more of a subtle challenge to De Gea, while being an arm around the back.

Slating him would truly be weak, reactive management.

romufc

DDG is a legned here and he has shown none of the criteria youve provided
Yes because when we played under Moyes, LVG, Jose he was getting peppered pulling out save after save.

Now, we have a better defence and playing a higher line, he is getting caught out.

Under Jose we were defensively solid not many shots from outside the box.

This season, we have conceded so many goals from outside the box or special strikes, or set piece goals.

We have not seen enough evidence that Henderson is good at those areas either.

The last thing I want is a promising young keeper, thrown into the United team and make mistakes that DDG is making. Fans will be quick to say oh get rid, he cannot hack the shirt etc..

The same fans who are now saying Henderson has to start.

I have no problem with Henderson, but we have to know what we are getting.

hmchan

I've gone through this over and over again. de Gea's 375k-per-week salary pretty much guarantees a spot for him. Given his repeated errors and terrible form towards the end of last season, Ole still refused to drop him and chose to stick with him. As far as I see, he will be our first choice as long as he's here and competition is nonexistent.

Jinn

Hendo should be our number 2 next season. romero needs to go.

hmchan

As many have suggested, there's only one way to prove whether Henderson can do it - let him play as a United's no. 1. Some refuse to look at his performance at Sheffield this season properly, raising issues such as no pressure, playing a low block etc., and they think he should be loaned to Sheffield for another season. Problem is, Sheffield is very likely to play in the same way with the same crowd next season, so how is he supposed to prove these critiques wrong?

romufc

As many have suggested, there's only one way to prove whether Henderson can do it - let him play as a United's no. 1. Some refuse to look at his performance at Sheffield this season properly, raising issues such as no pressure, playing a low block etc., and they think he should be loaned to Sheffield for another season. Problem is, Sheffield is very likely to play in the same way with the same crowd next season, so how is he supposed to prove these critiques wrong?
Yes, I wouldnt mind giving him the chance considering he is an academy product. The issue I have is how to deal with De Gea. We are not going to have De Gea on the bench for a whole season, we will not rotate keepers in the PL.

Unless we go qualify for the CL and have De Gea playing CL and cups and Henderson PL, i cannot see how this works.

No top club will loan a keeper from us to give them experience, it will always be a smaller PL club.

De Gea has been a great servant, we do not want to mis treat him.

Henderson could be the future, having an academy product in between the sticks would be brilliant as well.

Ole has a big decision to make at the end of this season. People say Ole doesnt have the balls, this that the other but remember he got rid of Lukaku and Sanchez for Greenwood.

HackeyC

Romero has been as outstanding a number 2 as you could ever hope for. To say he "needs to go" is pretty insulting given the job he has done for us without fuss.

Reactions: 711

RUCK4444

Yes, I wouldnt mind giving him the chance considering he is an academy product. The issue I have is how to deal with De Gea. We are not going to have De Gea on the bench for a whole season, we will not rotate keepers in the PL.

Unless we go qualify for the CL and have De Gea playing CL and cups and Henderson PL, i cannot see how this works.

No top club will loan a keeper from us to give them experience, it will always be a smaller PL club.

De Gea has been a great servant, we do not want to mis treat him.

Henderson could be the future, having an academy product in between the sticks would be brilliant as well.

Ole has a big decision to make at the end of this season. People say Ole doesnt have the balls, this that the other but remember he got rid of Lukaku and Sanchez for Greenwood.
Do they still think this? He's not the soft touch that you see in interviews.

I like they way Ole handles business, doesn't make a big fuss, no complaints... then all of a sudden, bish, bosh, this player has gone, this player is on loan, this kid is coming in. etc.

That's how you do things at a club like United. Keep the players and the press guessing.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Whats the point of him sitting on the bench? Sheffield could be in Europe next season, let him get a taste of that - he deserves it and seems settled there, and the manager seems a great guy.

Henderson is still very young for a goalkeeper lets not forget. He does and will make more mistakes, 2 of the goals against Newcastle he could of done better with but that's all part of learning.

People wishing away DDG for him already are going to be in for a bit of a shock if that happened :D

No, no one is saying Henderson is the best option out there, many just think he is a feasible option. The best keepers may be Oblak, Alisson, Handanovic, Neuer, but they are not easily gettable and they cost a lot, while Henderson is already one of us and we can upgrade without extra cost.

Even an error-prone, average de Gea is capable to be United's no. 1, how come a Henderson with more clean sheets, more saves, fewer goals conceded than expected, fewer errors, less protection from the defence not good enough to be one?
Stats playing for Sheffield United don't translate into him being a success at Manchester Unitef.

Ben Foster had really successful loans and Fergie said he'd be United and England no. 1 - look how that turned out!

As for listing people like Neuer and Alisson - don't be silly. I clear was saying is Henderson the best we could get, there's a world of other keepers out there beside the obviously unavailable ones you disingenuous named.

Would you rather the toxic Jose days of throwing players under the bus and obliterating the squads morale?

Defend the players publicly and address the problems 'in house'. That's what Fergie did and it's what any decent manage does.

hmchan

Do they still think this? He's not the soft touch that you see in interviews.

I like they way Ole handles business, doesn't make a big fuss, no complaints... then all of a sudden, bish, bosh, this player has gone, this player is on loan, this kid is coming in. etc.

That's how you do things at a club like United. Keep the players and the press guessing.
It's a completely different story though. Sanchez was clearly a liability to the team and it didn't take lots of balls to get rid of him. Everyone would have done the same if given the chance. Lukaku wanted to leave as early as March and he was dropped in the latter matches of last season. The sign was there. None of these is done for Greenwood, as his playing time is still limited despite his good performance this season.

It's convenient for Ole to drop Sanchez and Lukaku as they were signed by Mourinho. de Gea, however, was given the ridiculous contract under Ole's reign. It was Ole's decision to offer him a 375k-per-week contract despite his repeated errors. It'd take some doings for him to admit he's wrong. I hope he'd do it but I simply don't see it coming.

Dr. McBeasty

Next year may be too soon for Henderson to be our #1. We’ll have to see how DDG closes out this season, but I think he’ll still be our best option next year, but perhaps on a shorter leash with Romero seeing more time if the errors persist.

if we can’t guarantee Henderson he’d be our #1, it would probably be best to loan him out again, rather than potentially sitting on the bench if de Gea finds his form. Perhaps we include an option for a January recall to protect ourselves. Bottom line is de Gea probably isn’t going anywhere anytime soon, so our best hope is supporting him and figuring out how to help him cut out the errors.