Dean Henderson has to be our #1 next season? Poll added

Who should be our first choice GK next season?

• Total voters

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
The obsession with De Gea's saves is weird on here. Every good goalkeeper in the premier league makes them. He gets paid 300k a fecking week and does THAT in minute two of the game. How can you excuse that. I don't see the motivation in him to win. He's a talented goalkeeper that's won titles with us but I'd rather take Deano who's got the fecking hunger to prove himself. And hey turns out Hendersons up there in PL cleansheets and is United bred. It isn't fecking rocket science.
This. Pickford who is bang average made two world class saves today, every time DDG makes them people wets their trousers

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Last season he cost us the champions league spot and this year I'm afraid he will do it again.

billybee99

He’s been very good in this stretch of results, until today. Worth remembering two outstanding saves, one just after Everton’s goal, and one before the VAR decision. Excellent saves that not many keepers make in the PL.

He’s deffo past his best, he’s not quite kept up to speed with the PL as its moved to a pressing game in the last 4-5 years.

I’d love to see Hendo in the 1st team with Romero pushing him. I bet Dave would love to go back to Spain at some point too. I reckon we could get £35m-£45m for him if Real came calling. He’s an upgrade on Courtois.

I reckon we’ll have another season with him and then move him on.
Oh yes, you fanboys keep telling us that that first save was a worldy and if you repeat it enough, someone might believe you. It was going wide first of all; secondly, it wasn't a particularly difficult save and I would say most of the keepers in the League get hands to that. The save at the end of the game was top drawer; great stuff.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Someone posted in the matchday thread that DDG has made 7 errors since the beginning of last season, all of which cost us valuable points. That's more errors than ay other PL keeper during that period.

You can't have that from the world's highest paid goalkeeper.

marktan

I can't say I've seen enough of Sheffield Utd to form much of an opinion, though he's obviously getting rave reviews here and elsewhere. What type of keeper is he? Much better than De Gea aerially or with his feet? As good, or close to it shot-stopping wise?
He's a pretty strong shot stopper, decent in the air, not that good with his feet. Has an occasional mistake in him (one at the start of the season, a couple last season, not any since I don't think). Not to dissimilar to De Gea, but what he does have on his side is enthusiasm and age.

Affirmation

I have been saying this for a while now, Dean Henderson is too good not to bring in as our number one goalkeeper.

Jonno

Oh yes, you fanboys keep telling us that that first save was a worldy and if you repeat it enough, someone might believe you. It was going wide first of all; secondly, it wasn't a particularly difficult save and I would say most of the keepers in the League get hands to that. The save at the end of the game was top drawer; great stuff.
Whether it was going wide or not was subjective, it looked like it was going in to me, so for me, its a world class finger tip save. The last minute save was world class.

I’m pretty certain a fanboy wouldn’t be posting to move him on and bring Hendo in.

Based Adnan

A reminder that after all of these mistakes he got rewarded with a long term deal making him the best paid keeper in the world

OhGee

So DDG out is now the flavour of the day at RedCafe...

Bocca9978

He has been great. And clearly the best in the world at some points.
But we’d have done well money wise and probably should have sold.

Henderson straight in next season. Don’t care about losing money from DDG sale or on the bench.

Henderson no.1

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
in all seriousness, I live in Sheffield and know he's a fan favourite.

The united fans who look at his 1 mistake to defend de Gea and downplay Henderson are ridiculous. He's a big personality and mentally strong, or so I've heard.
He’s loved here that’s for sure, done some great stuff off the pitch. I really struggle to see him accepting a seat on the bench next season and I also struggle to see how de Gea is dropped too with his wages. It will be an interesting summer.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
:lol: His peak was amazing though, he can get back there.

I think Casillas is a cheap mdf version of peak De Gea. Ikea Casillas
Iker casillas was absolutely impeccable in his day but I think de gea had a higher but shorter peak.

sugar_kane

This. Pickford who is bang average made two world class saves today, every time DDG makes them people wets their trousers
It's because it plays well amongst the media and opposition fans to make out that without the god-like genius of De Gea we'd fail to ever win a point because of how terrible we are, hence making such a big deal of any decent save he makes and ignoring the fact that every decent keeper is capable of similar when called into action.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
If we could find a buyer I'd get rid. But we won't. His best days are behind him now I reckon.

Be utter lunacy someone buying him now and matching his Utd wage. I think he will leave us on a free now at end of his deal.

youngrell

I think he’s been pretty solid recently. Since the new keeper coach arrived, actually.

Today’s mistake was not really a goalkeeping error, anyone can get a clearance blocked. It was a freak occurrence, especially the fact it deflected into the goal.

He’s still our best bet for the time being.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Tom Heaton had been making sublime saves for Burnley too before he joined Villa. The saves against Lukaku and Zlatan were incredible. So I do agree that De Gea isn't the only keeper who pulls off sublime saves. Ask Burnley fans and they'll tell you Heaton was an extra 10 points every season.

So the question should be, is being crap at commanding your area and being below average at distributing the ball acceptable for a Man Utd keeper? The best keepers perform on the international stage and in European competition and are rightly lauded as the best like the Great Dane and Neuer did for club and country. De Gea was a very good keeper in English domestic football for a period, but is not world class due to the above criteria IMO.

Amerifan

I can't say I've seen enough of Sheffield Utd to form much of an opinion, though he's obviously getting rave reviews here and elsewhere. What type of keeper is he? Much better than De Gea aerially or with his feet? As good, or close to it shot-stopping wise?
I’ve watched him this season, and he isn’t better than DDG today. He gets himself in awkward situations and makes “rookie” out of position mistakes. SU is very good at protecting him from himself and covering his mistakes. In his prime he may be DDG level or even better, but in my opinion it’s too early for world class level conversation.

LJJT

I’m no keeper expert. But I think the average fan isn’t that clued up on how good a keeper is. We just judge on the mistakes mainly and he’s top of the league with Pickford in the cock up rankings this year. It’s sadly just not good enough for us right now especially during this transition season. I hope he can cut out these errors for rest of the season. If we got a good offer in the summer though I’d be tempted to cash in and give Henderson his chance.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If people are arguing that Henderson should be brought back to challenge De Gea, that's fine. DDG has been off his best for two seasons now so the challenge might do him good and, if not, playing Henderson might do us good. No downside, really.

If people are talking about simply handing the #1 spot to Henderson or (worse again) selling De Gea and actually depending on Henderson then that's a different matter entirely. Playing for Manchester United is an entirely different ball game to playing for a team like Sheffield United and Henderson wouldn't be the first to falter badly on that bigger stage. We can't just assume that Henderson will be a better option than even a sub-par De Gea simply based on his performances for a lesser club. He might be but he might not be, even without factoring in De Gea's own form potentially improving.

Amerifan

So DDG out is now the flavour of the day at RedCafe...
These are the same footballing geniuses who think Shaw, AWB, Maguire, and Lindelof are lousy, too. According to them it’s a miracle we don’t ship 20 goals a game.

MrBest

I have never really seen much of Henderson, i doubt many on here have too. My question is to those who know him well, how is he with his feet? Is he vocal and is he a dominant person? Those are the three areas De Gea is not good. Saying that De Gea is the best shot stopper in the world, he is only 29 but clearly confidence has taken a tumble of late. Quite a few goalkeepers have a blip in there career but given his age, i think De gea has the potential to come out of it. I would loan Henderson out for one more year and give De Gea another season. Hopefully with a new coach next year, he will not have to deal with as many shots.

RUCK4444

Iker casillas was absolutely impeccable in his day but I think de gea had a higher but shorter peak.
Yeah I would agree with that, I was only joking, Casillas was class.

Tell you what though, it’s controversial I know, but I never got the hype around Buffon. I’ll get shot for it but there it is

Mr Smith

Am I the only one who thought today was more a freak accident than an outright mistake? There's a culture around here of always needing a head to roll when sone thing goes wrong, but I'd argue that mistake could happen to a lot of keepers.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Am I the only one who thought today was more a freak accident than an outright mistake? There's a culture around here of always needing a head to roll when sone thing goes wrong, but I'd argue that mistake could happen to a lot of keepers.
He makes dodgy kicks every game, it was only a matter of time that he was caught out by one.

Yes he's made some howlers in the last year - but he's still a great keeper and United would be mad to try and replace him at this stage.

Even great players off bad runs. I remember greats like Schmeichel and Giggs having bad spells and some fans saying the club should move them - but ultimately the class and talent rises up and they return to form.

The squad is going through an overall, at a breakneck speed - some continuity is vital too. De Gea has been at the club a long time, knows what it takes to win the league etc.

EdinburghDevil

I'd be more than happy to see Serge and Henderson fight it out for #1 next season in preseason.

Understudy plays in the League Cup / Europa League or if we do end up with CL football then the 2 domestic cups.

Shifting DDG is going to be tricky. PSG perhaps the only likely destination.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
How is Henderson's communication and passing?

Because all De Gea has going for him, and it's all he has ever had, is shot-stopping.
Pretty essential, and for 3-5 seasons was saving us as many points as Messi and Ronaldo were winning points.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Put Alisson in our net and I'd bet we ship more goals. He hasn't made a save even comparable to one of DDG's the whole time he's been in the Prem.

As for Henderson, I reckon some people are concentrating more on Sheff United's clean sheet record than what he's actually like as a keeper, seeing as so many here put all their value in select stats without context.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
If people are arguing that Henderson should be brought back to challenge De Gea, that's fine. DDG has been off his best for two seasons now so the challenge might do him good and, if not, playing Henderson might do us good. No downside, really.

If people are talking about simply handing the #1 spot to Henderson or (worse again) selling De Gea and actually depending on Henderson then that's a different matter entirely. Playing for Manchester United is an entirely different ball game to playing for a team like Sheffield United and Henderson wouldn't be the first to falter badly on that bigger stage. We can't just assume that Henderson will be a better option than even a sub-par De Gea simply based on his performances for a lesser club. He might be but he might not be, even without factoring in De Gea's own form potentially improving.
So you are saying that the grass isn't always greener? Say it ain't so?!

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
He made a mistake . Countless mistakes of Henderson doesn't get big articles and scrutiny. We saw what happened with Ben Foster. Let's not jump on De Gea back considering he is having a bad season but it is after like 4-5 terrific ones