Dean Henderson has to be our #1 next season? Poll added

Who should be our first choice GK next season?

• Total voters

dbs235

Seems like no keeper has come out of lockcdown on form to be honest. Can think of a lot of poor keeping from almost every keeper so far.

Revan

Assumptionman
Compare de gea's 1st season in the premier league to Hendersons 1st (albeit in a less pressured environment). Henderson has had a far better campaign however, does that mean he's ready to be our 1st choice? Most definitely not. Let's not forget the amount of people who were writing de gea off as a dud early doors and look how he turned out. As others have already stated, both of these guys are ours. No need for some knee jerk reaction depending on whether de gea makes a balls up in his next game or Henderson the same. We've got more pressing issues than worrying about our no 1 goalkeeper at the moment.
De Gea was easily the best keeper in the league during the second half of the season. He won the award of the best keeper comfortably in his second season.

So yeah, compare them and De Gea wins by a margin of the size of our galaxy.

AgentP

Just let Henderson be at Sheffield for another season. We can decide in the summer of 2021. Both keepers would be happy to stay where they are for one more season.

lysglimt

Scout
But what's a normal day for DDG now?

He's been badly out of form for 18 months now, made some shocking errors. You can't just call this a blip in form.
Yes - he has made a few howlers. Bad ones, no argument here. But he makes one save every 3-4 games that will go in with most other goalkeepers there. So would we be better off with Henderson ? Nah - even if De Gea makes 3-4 howlers every season and Henderson only makes 1 - De Gea still saves 4-5 shots that Henderson doesn't save.

So I still prefer De Gea with the odd Everton and Watford howler, than 99% of other goalkeepers

hmchan

Yes - he has made a few howlers. Bad ones, no argument here. But he makes one save every 3-4 games that will go in with most other goalkeepers there. So would we be better off with Henderson ? Nah - even if De Gea makes 3-4 howlers every season and Henderson only makes 1 - De Gea still saves 4-5 shots that Henderson doesn't save.

So I still prefer De Gea with the odd Everton and Watford howler, than 99% of other goalkeepers
This is not the case. We are expected to concede 31 goals this season and we actually concede 31, while Sheffield are expected to concede 44 goals this season and they actually concede 32. So de Gea is just making saves he's expected to make, while Henderson is preventing 12 goals that will go in with most other goalkeepers there.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
If Henderson wasnt on loan and was available for transfer for say 30 million, would you be happy with the signing?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
not sure if he's ready to be the starter at United, but he's been one of the best goalkeepers in the league this season

what i'm sure of is given De Gea's season(one of the worst starting gk in the league) it would make very little sense not to keep Henderson for training camp and let him compete with De Gea for the job. If he loses out he can still be loaned out easily enough

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Replacing De Gea though? Agree with the logic of looking for long term keeper but this is a lad that's only had 1 season of top flight football, in a team with less expectations.

Would he happy with replacing Romero as number 2?

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Yes please. Honestly sick of de gea now.

Henderson deserves his chance.

izec

He might not be the answer short term, but De Gea for sure isn't. If he made that, people would say he needs another year at Sheffield. Or De Gea saves that. I see

De Gea is a joke and should have no future here

JTW95

Gullible sausage
Just get him in. Anybody is an improvement on De Gea at this point.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Again getting scapegoated for a mistake of Maguire.
It's a shot straight at him. Getting nutmegged is not a mistake.

De Gea has lost a fraction of a second in speed which made the difference between being good and being great.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Would like him to be given a chance. If he can’t handle it, Romero can step in. I love DDG and he’s been fantastic for us, but his mistakes are becoming too frequent & could cost us.

Ekeke

De Gea has lost a fraction of a second in speed which made the difference between being good and being great.
Its obviously a huge mistake in your own box to get nutmugged as a CB :lol:

Revan

Assumptionman
It was from 5 meters in one on one.

Since when getting nutmegged is not a mistake? I guess since United collectively lose their brain and paid for a 30m player 80m pounds and decided that he is the leader they needed.

billybee99

Again getting scapegoated for a mistake of Maguire.
So you don't think a Premier League keeper should stop that? Sure Maguire was shite but De Gea should be saving that all day long. He gave a player, who was on a near impossible angle, the near side of the net. It's terrible keeping and it's terrible defending by our 80 million CB.

Revan

Assumptionman
Yep. Just wanted to say that. It is him or Lindelof. "Maguire didn't do well BUUUT DDG/Lindelof/Shaw did worse"
Nothing to do with Lindelof. Maguire got exposed again as has been doing for the entire season. But it is not cool to criticise him cause we finally have a 'leader'.
So you don't think a Premier League keeper should stop that? Sure Maguire was shite but De Gea should be saving that all day long. He gave a player, who was on a near impossible angle, the near side of the net. It's terrible keeping and it's terrible defending by our 80 million CB.
It was from 5 yards in one on one. It could have been saved but it is not a mistake.

NinjaFletch

It was from 5 meters in one on one.

Since when getting nutmegged is not a mistake? I guess since United collectively lose their brain and paid for a 30m player 80m pounds and decided that he is the leader they needed.
Shockingly, it's possible for two players to make a mistake in the same move.

Maguire should obviously have done better, but it doesn't excuse De Gea making another mistake. Again. Like he has been for nigh on two seasons. I'm not sure how anyone can think it's good enough.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It was not mistake by DDG. He could have done better (he conceded goal so of course he could) but it is not mistake. He was caught one on one with attacker 5m from goal. He could have go on safe and stick his body on the post and open another corner to attacker. He tried to cover both corners.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
De gea is done. Its been a year and a half since he's been good. Sell him in the summer. Thanks for your service but if you want to challenge for the big trophies no room for sentimentality

izec

It was not mistake by DDG. He could have done better (he conceded goal so of course he could) but it is not mistake. He was caught one on one with attacker 5m from goal. He could have go on safe and stick his body on the post and open another corner to attacker. He tried to cover both corners.
It was from an impossible angle. He conceded in his corner. Big mistake

Stanislas wasnt running through the middle at him. If he curls it in at the other side, then it was not a mistake

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It was from an impossible angle. He conceded in his corner. Big mistake

Stanislas wasnt running through the middle at him. If he curls it in at the other side, then it was not a mistake
That is what i am talking about. Dave didn't play it on safe. "I will cover first corner and cocer myself and other corner is not my fault". He tried to cover both corners.

izec

That is what i am talking about. Dave didn't play it on safe. "I will cover first corner and cocer myself and other corner is not my fault". He tried to cover both corners.
His job is to cover the corner to the right of him, because it is easier to score there and a shorter distance. No matter how you frame it, it was a mistake

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
His job is to cover the corner to the right of him, because it is easier to score there and a shorter distance. No matter how you frame it, it was a mistake
It was not mistake. Not great keeping but not mistake.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Might as well get new defenders then if mistakes are not tolerated. Just last week Henderson gave away a goal from that angle.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Its not one mistake. He wouldn't start for liverpool, city, arsenal and that says it all.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Might as well get new defenders then if mistakes are not tolerated. Just last week Henderson gave away a goal from that angle.
This is far worse imo, that angle it shouldn’t be possible to score so easily from

pearl1337

you all blame de gea. yes hes not in top form, and bringing in dean could be a good option. but ive always said this, maguire just isnt cutting it. yes hes quite consistent and does bring in alot in defence, but in united fashion, his errors leads to goals.