Dean Henderson has to be our #1 next season? Poll added

Who should be our first choice GK next season?

• Total voters

keithsingleton

Not so fast there mr singleton. Those times DDG was playing lights out was because of our woeful defensive back four/five, where shots were coming at DDG nonstop. Hypothetically if we still had that level of defense, we’d be singing his praises far more. Otherwise I agree with you.
:D I'm not knocking him Mr Florida Man. :D
And yeah also in agreement with you re defence. I just think some of our fans are to quick to knock players during a bad patch, and before someone comes on and says it's been 18 months you now don't need to. :wenger:

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
I've voted for De Gea.

But if we were to go off form from this season, the Henderson should be our no.1 next season.

His PL stats are marginally but undisuptedly better than De Gea's:

• He's made 90 saves (De Gea's made 83)

• He's had 13 clean sheets (De Gea's had 11)

• He's condeded 27 goals in 33 games (De Gea's conceded 33 in 34 games)

But the fact is, De Gea, despite not being 'himself' since those mistakes at the 2018 World Cup, is still one of the best goalkeepers in the world, entering his prime age and he's on a ridiculously high wage. So it's safe to say he won't be leaving anytime soon and certainly won't be sitting on the bench.

But then again, neither will Henderson - he'll be on loan again, probably still with Sheffield United.

At some point though, if De Gea is staying long term, the club should look to loan him to another club, maybe one that could give him Champions League experience?

Marseille, Lazio, Sevilla... Why not to Dortmund even, as part of the Sancho deal?

MetoTTT

I've voted for De Gea.

But if we were to go off form from this season, the Henderson should be our no.1 next season.

But the fact is, De Gea, despite not being 'himself' since those mistakes at the 2018 World Cup, is still one of the best goalkeepers in the world, entering his prime age and he's on a ridiculously high wage. So it's safe to say he won't be leaving anytime soon and certainly won't be sitting on the bench.

But then again, neither will Henderson - he'll be on loan again, probably still with Sheffield United.

At some point though, if De Gea is staying long term, the club should look to loan him to another club, maybe one that could give him Champions League experience?

Marseille, Lazio, Sevilla... Why not to Dortmund even, as part of the Sancho deal?
They're in trouble already with some aging players on high wages and poor finances. They seem happy with Mandanda too who was good this season.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Don't understand why Romero's getting overlooked. He's miles better than Henderson. Henderson's just become fashionable in his United absence and because Sheffield United have had a great season. He'd probably have a few world class games then get hammered by the United fans after a few defeats.

He's better off staying where he is and getting a first team run in Europe with Sheffield United next season.

hmchan

Even if there is a clear desire from Ole to put Henderson in goal there is a very important question to answer first: where does De Gea go? I hope no one believes he can be our reserve keeper, being the highest earner in the squad. Not many teams need new keepers right now and especially when they would cost a fortune.

Until there is a clear exit strategy for De Gea the Henderson question will remain a hypothetical one. And on top of that, why are people so certain that Dean will be better than David? I'm not saying he won't be but what if isn't? We would have sold our 4-times Player of the Year winner and then ruin the confidence and possibly the career of Henderson. Not the easiest decision to make.
No one is certain Henderson will be better than the prime de Gea. What matters is that he is now better than the current de Gea (who is also declining obviously), in terms of both statistics and performances. The number of previous POTY awards is irrelevant.

I do agree the Henderson question is hypothetical though. de Gea's 375k-per-week salary pretty much guarantees a spot for him. Given his repeated errors and terrible form towards the end of last season, Ole still refused to drop him and chose to stick with him. As far as I see, he will be our first choice as long as he's here and competition is nonexistent.

hmchan

Who will pay £70mil for a goalie who is declining?
The problem of many United fans is that they are always emotionally attached to their beloved players and are living in the past. Their impression towards the players remains in their peak and they find it hard to accept that their beloved players are declining. The current de Gea is no longer the POTY-winning de Gea who always saves the day, but some still fail to realize the simple fact. The same also applies to Rooney, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra etc.

georgipep

No one is certain Henderson will be better than the prime de Gea. What matters is that he is now better than the current de Gea (who is also declining obviously),
Not sure how you can say he is now better than the current De Gea. He plays in goal for Sheffield United who play very differently from Manchester United and any comparison is subjective and incomplete, at best.

I think Henderson will go to play for the Blades again next season unless we surprisingly sell David (I wouldn't count on that, I think De Gea wants to stay for quite a while).

Realistically I expect us to entertain bids after next season with David being told he won't get anything close to his current salary if he wants a new contract. It would be a very bold move as if he doesn't get a transfer we would risk having a disgruntled player on our hands but I would still expect it to happen as if Henderson has a third successive good season on loan and becomes England's number 1, the value of having him back with us would outweigh the risks.

m1tch

Unless we sell De Gea, and I can't see anyone buying him for a decent fee, then he's got to be our number 1 next year because of the form we know he's capable of.

hmchan

Not sure how you can say he is now better than the current De Gea. He plays in goal for Sheffield United who play very differently from Manchester United and any comparison is subjective and incomplete, at best.

I think Henderson will go to play for the Blades again next season unless we surprisingly sell David (I wouldn't count on that, I think De Gea wants to stay for quite a while).

Realistically I expect us to entertain bids after next season with David being told he won't get anything close to his current salary if he wants a new contract. It would be a very bold move as if he doesn't get a transfer we would risk having a disgruntled player on our hands but I would still expect it to happen as if Henderson has a third successive good season on loan and becomes England's number 1, the value of having him back with us would outweigh the risks.
If you need both players playing in the same team, same tactic, same teammates to make an objective comparison, then every analysis in the football world is incomplete. "Henderson better than de Gea" is a subjective statement, but it's supported by plenty of factual data and Henderson outperforms de Gea in every aspect statistically.

Realistically de Gea will not want a new contract in the foreseeable future because he has just signed a long-term deal with us, and I expect there will be no bid for him simply because no team in the world would match his ridiculous salary.

georgipep

If you need both players playing in the same team, same tactic, same teammates to make an objective comparison, then every analysis in the football world is incomplete. "Henderson better than de Gea" is a subjective statement, but it's supported by plenty of factual data and Henderson outperforms de Gea in every aspect statistically.

Realistically de Gea will not want a new contract in the foreseeable future because he has just signed a long-term deal with us, and I expect there will be no bid for him simply because no team in the world would match his ridiculous salary.
Henderson has 2 more clean sheets, that is true. And De Gea has made more errors leading to goal. But Sheffield set up their team to defend first. They've scored 21 less goals while conceding the same amount. This implies our team does not focus on defending as much as attacking.

Not sure how you interpret this but to me it means Henderson's efforts are behind a much more defensively oriented unit. Doesn't take anything away from his performance just, to me, it means they are not comparable with De Gea's. I'd much more prefer to compare with a team that plays on the front foot more.

Champagne Football

PSG are the only club who would take him on loan or Newcastle if they get the Saudi money.

Right now it's Alexis all over again. A vastly overpaid pampered star who has lost the desire to be the best.

But I think the confidence and happy vibes around the club can rub off on De Gea, especially if we secure Champions League football, and for sure he can find his form again next season. But any more costly brain-farts between now and end of season and he should be packing his bags

James Peril

PSG are the only club who would take him on loan or Newcastle if they get the Saudi money.

Right now it's Alexis all over again. A vastly overpaid pampered star who has lost the desire to be the best.

But I think the confidence and happy vibes around the club can rub off on De Gea, especially if we secure Champions League football, and for sure he can find his form again next season. But any more costly brain-farts between now and end of season and he should be packing his bags
Absolutely ridiculous, have some respect for our most experienced players. He’s been here for a long time, he’s won the league and stayed on even when we were not matching his ambitions at all - like Pogba. Four managers have come and gone, he has been our player of the year most of the times or close. He’s not been his best and made unreal saves every game this season, but he didn’t have to - this team was never going to compete in the league any way. DDG and Sanchez are not to be compared, the former has earned his living and then some, and deserves the benefit of the doubt at least one more season.

ruskyline

Henderson to Sheffield U for one more season - and after that OGS should make a decision, we either take him back with the serious intention of making him first-team goalkeeper - or we sell him as his value is too high to be on loan until the end of time. Even in todays climate we can probably get £40-50 million for him - and that is too much Money for a player not playing. Especally as I am not convinced that he is good enough to be our first team goalkeeper. He is a big talent - but imo a DDG with the odd mistake is still better than Henderson as he makes Made a lot more "impossible saves". But give Henderson one more season to develop before making a decision.
Corrected your reply (replaced makes with made)

onemata

DDG has gone from being the best goal keeper in the world to an average Premier League goalie in about 2 years . Unfortunately his decline seems irreversible . He can still make spectacular saves but seems to have lost the knack of making saves with his feet , coming for crosses and his distribution with his feet is erratic at best . That is before you look at the number of clangers he has made . People say he has lost his confidence but to me he is simply not as good as he was . Looking back to when he was player of the season time after time is meaningless . It's like claiming that Mourhino is a winner and is one of the greatest managers ever ." Was " in both cases is the important word . Sentimentality does not win anything . We got rid of Lukaku , Smalling etc so it can be done if we accept he is no longer worth the millions he used to me

I would not replace him not with Henderson but with Nick Pope before Chelsea sell their Kepa and get him .

hmchan

Henderson has 2 more clean sheets, that is true. And De Gea has made more errors leading to goal. But Sheffield set up their team to defend first. They've scored 21 less goals while conceding the same amount. This implies our team does not focus on defending as much as attacking.

Not sure how you interpret this but to me it means Henderson's efforts are behind a much more defensively oriented unit. Doesn't take anything away from his performance just, to me, it means they are not comparable with De Gea's. I'd much more prefer to compare with a team that plays on the front foot more.
This season Sheffield have an xGa of 46.7 and they've conceded 33, while we have an xGa of 33.6 and we've also conceded 33. So the simple answer is de Gea has faced much fewer threats, has been better protected by the defence, and yet has been conceding the same amount of goals.

Playing in a defensively oriented unit doesn't necessarily make the life easier for the keeper, as you could see de Gea was making saves after saves when we played negatively under Mourinho. In contrast when we play on the front foot, the dominance and possession basically leave the keeper nothing to do.

If you really want to make the ideal comparison you want, the last thing to do is to loan Henderson to Sheffield for another season. They will play in the exact same way and set up their team to defend like this season. He could prove nothing and you would still argue he's just protected by the defence even if he's playing well.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Ddg is only (for goalkeeper) 29y old. He can be our first choice gk for next 4 or 5 years.
We should sell Henderson now when his fee is pretty high. To get 50 mil for a player who cost us nothing and who in reality we don't need, would be amazing business move.

crossy1686

career ending
I'm in favour of bringing Henderson back and having him slowly replace De Gea but De Gea should still be the number one for next season at least. Would be unfair to just through Henderson in and have him fail like that.

crossy1686

career ending
Ddg is only (for goalkeeper) 29y old. He can be our first choice gk for next 4 or 5 years.
We should sell Henderson now when his fee is pretty high. To get 50 mil for a player who cost us nothing and who in reality we don't need, would be amazing business move.
Are you fecking real? Sell England and United's future number 1?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Are you fecking real? Sell England and United's future number 1?
Yes, because if you turn off emotions (academy, English, future no1) we don't need him. It is reality. He is not player in the field who will be used a lot. No2 gk plays rarely. You can find no2 gk for 10 mil. In matter of fact we have excellent no2 gk.

crossy1686

career ending
Yes, because if you turn off emotions (academy, English, future no1) we don't need him. It is reality. He is not player in the field who will be used a lot. No2 gk plays rarely. You can find no2 gk for 10 mil. In matter of fact we have excellent no2 gk.
De Gea hasn't been good enough for two seasons to be the highest paid goalkeeper in the world, if anything, if he carries on with that form we don't need De Gea. Henderson is absolutely the future of the club and we shouldn't be going around and actively strengthening our rivals.

Champagne Football

Absolutely ridiculous, have some respect for our most experienced players. He’s been here for a long time, he’s won the league and stayed on even when we were not matching his ambitions at all - like Pogba. Four managers have come and gone, he has been our player of the year most of the times or close. He’s not been his best and made unreal saves every game this season, but he didn’t have to - this team was never going to compete in the league any way. DDG and Sanchez are not to be compared, the former has earned his living and then some, and deserves the benefit of the doubt at least one more season.
Simmer down chap. At this club there's no room for sentiments and nostalgia as Roy Keane, Jaap Stam, Van Nistelrooy, Beckham etc found out when they were thrown out on their ear once performances slightly dropped.

The Athletic published an article the other day saying there's suspicions from the management that De Gea's not pushing himself like he used to. De Gea is earning double what the City and Liverpool keepers earn yet they are completely outperforming him. He's the world's highest paid keeper who cost us a CL place last season with consistent mistakes.

De Gea is a legend and I've no doubt he'll still be here next season and will find his form. But if he doesn't find his form and ends up doing an Ozil/Alexis, by losing the hunger to be the best once the ink is dry on his final mega contract, then big decisions will have to be made.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
De Gea hasn't been good enough for two seasons to be the highest paid goalkeeper in the world, if anything, if he carries on with that form we don't need De Gea. Henderson is absolutely the future of the club and we shouldn't be going around and actively strengthening our rivals.
That is why we are shit in outgoing transfers. We can't tell when is right time to sell a player.
We have De gea. I will not argue with you about who is better. You think he is in decline and for me DDG is still among the best gk (who has little average season but every player does) and as i said, he is now in best gk age. Why to keep Henderson next 2 or 3 or 5 years as no2?
English, good gk, young....it is at least 50 or even 60 mil which we can invest in other players.

It is nothing personal towards him. Just objective thinking.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
Leave things as they are. De Gea is still an excellent keeper and Henderson is at a great club where he can develop. You guys are never happy and always looking to change the team.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Funny how the poll is the opposite of the comments :lol:

crossy1686

career ending
That is why we are shit in outgoing transfers. We can't tell when is right time to sell a player.
We have De gea. I will not argue with you about who is better. You think he is in decline and for me DDG is still among the best gk (who has little average season but every player does) and as i said, he is now in best gk age. Why to keep Henderson next 2 or 3 or 5 years as no2?
English, good gk, young....it is at least 50 or even 60 mil which we can invest in other players.

It is nothing personal towards him. Just objective thinking.
We aren't a selling club so why would we ever need to sell a player if they have a use to us? Players leave United when they're no longer good enough for United.

Henderson wouldn't be a number 2 though, if he plays better than De Gea then he becomes the number 1, then it's up to De Gea to find some form again if he wants that position back, if not he gets sold for being the most expensive goalkeeper ever to grace the bench. De Gea is good but he's not the best GK in the world, which is the wages we're paying him to be.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
We aren't a selling club so why would we ever need to sell a player if they have a use to us? Players leave United when they're no longer good enough for United.

Henderson wouldn't be a number 2 though, if he plays better than De Gea then he becomes the number 1, then it's up to De Gea to find some form again if he wants that position back, if not he gets sold for being the most expensive goalkeeper ever to grace the bench. De Gea is good but he's not the best GK in the world, which is the wages we're paying him to be.
It is not about are we selling club or not. It is about doing good business or not. We don't have unlimited money. Despite everything we are also a club who have funds for transfer limited. We also must choose between lets say Sancho or Grealish. Selling player that we don't need and buying player who we need (Grealish) is a good business.

And writing off De Gea (or any other player) and look for new shiny toy after one average season is ridiculous.

yfoFC

The mistakes de gea has made to me seem marginal compared to the form we know he can produce..

I fully expect him to play for us for the better part of the coming decade and I am certain his form will be back to its imperious best sooner rather than later.

That being said, if he messes up next season as well then it is lucky for us we seem to have a ready made replacement in dean but I don't think we'll need him..

Jazmodo

Simmer down chap.
James Peril has no chill mode or sense of humour :D

All this talk of De Gea being past it is ludicrous though, I agree. Van der Sar was pushing 40 & was playing the best years of his career at that point. No reason at all De Gea can't do the same.

I would LOVE to have the english No1 though as our keeper though... Loan deal to Dortmund to part-pay for Sancho sounds like a great idea in the short-medium term - until we decide if De Gea can cut it

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Let's leave him at Sheffield for one more season so that he can get us some points too. With him there maybe Sheffield steal a point or two from our direct rivals and we still have de gea who's doing okay. We can really benefit from that.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
22% think he should be first choice, despite never having played a game for us before?!?!

If he has enough talent to convince Ole, then yes he should be drafted into the squad and tole to fight it out with De Gea, with a 2 year plan to take over full time, but to make him first choice without any transition is utter madness.

JG3001

I've voted for De Gea.

Whatever the situation, he has to have competition and know he’s not untouchable. That for me was the problem, after several clangers this season, he should have been benched for at least one spell.

It galvanised him early on in his United career, when he was dropped for Lindegaard.

JG3001

The problem of many United fans is that they are always emotionally attached to their beloved players and are living in the past. Their impression towards the players remains in their peak and they find it hard to accept that their beloved players are declining. The current de Gea is no longer the POTY-winning de Gea who always saves the day, but some still fail to realize the simple fact. The same also applies to Rooney, Vidic, Ferdinand, Evra etc.
It’s the price paid for having a disproportionately successful team, you feel it’s only fair to give a free pass for successive declining performances, when you need to be cutthroat.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
The problem with many United fans is that they overrate youth players and that solution for every position is academy player. Not to mention that they want to replace a player as soon as his form drops.
When new player comes he is world class then after two seasons it is "boring" to watch him anymore. "Give me new shiny toy".

Jev

It's one thing to be critical of DDG but the vindictiveness shown towards him by a section of United fans is frankly disgusting. He's one of our best goalkeepers ever, he carried us for years and stuck with us without a fuss when he deserved way better, and despite his too-regular mistakes he's still a solid goalkeeper. It's fine to believe he needs replacing, although I happen to disagree, but he deserves much more respect and gratefulness than some fans are showing him.

georgipep

This season Sheffield have an xGa of 46.7 and they've conceded 33, while we have an xGa of 33.6 and we've also conceded 33. So the simple answer is de Gea has faced much fewer threats, has been better protected by the defence, and yet has been conceding the same amount of goals.

Playing in a defensively oriented unit doesn't necessarily make the life easier for the keeper, as you could see de Gea was making saves after saves when we played negatively under Mourinho. In contrast when we play on the front foot, the dominance and possession basically leave the keeper nothing to do.

If you really want to make the ideal comparison you want, the last thing to do is to loan Henderson to Sheffield for another season. They will play in the exact same way and set up their team to defend like this season. He could prove nothing and you would still argue he's just protected by the defence even if he's playing well.
That's the whole point though, Henderson is alert the whole game because Sheffield are under constant attacks.

And I agree, ideally we would want to test him in an attacking team but that's not going to happen. If he goes again it will be to Sheffield again. He likes them, they like him, there is a matter of loyalty and comradery.

I think we both see the same thing but the difference is our level of confidence that Henderson can handle playing for Manchester United better than how De Gea is currently performing. I do not like to bet on things I don't know and am the type of people that prefer "the devil you know". But I also believe that Henderson will end up our first choice keeper, probably an year from now though.