Dean Henderson has to be our #1 next season? Poll added

Who should be our first choice GK next season?

• Total voters

Matriac

Fans reacting negatively to two full seasons of awful performances, starting with what was statistically the worst ever performance by a goalkeeper in world cup history, is hardly knee-jerk.
That seems a bit hyperbole. I just rewatched the highlights and I'll say that yeah, he made 1 or 2 mistakes, at least that could have been done better. But most of the goals were poorly defended by Spain, leaving it almost impossible for De Gea to save. That or the Ronaldo magic in the opening game

Spain went out early cause they couldn't convert their chances, when it comes down to pens it's always a lil random.

And yeah, it has not been awful performances. De Gea has overall played well, but with some errors. He can't always have superhuman performances.

And as I said, Dean is a good keeper, but he also makes errors, we just don't hear about them as often, and as it stands I believe Dean and David are about the same level (David still ahead), but David has the experience so out of the two you expect him to be the one to pull ahead in the coming year(s) for the squeaky bum time matches we'll have when we try to win. I definitely look forward to Dean being our #1 in the future though!

ShinjiNinja26

Can’t see this happening tbh. If it were up to me I’d bring him back and let them fight it out for the no.1 spot might bring the best out of both of them. Would be harsh on Romero though who’s been a brilliant servant and has performed whenever asked, he’d inevitably be shunned down to 3rd choice in that situation.

stevoc

Personally i would let Romero go and bring Henderson in as DeGea's back-up for a year or two to see how he gets on.

Kerry Donaghy

Supports
Celtic
That seems a bit hyperbole. I just rewatched the highlights and I'll say that yeah, he made 1 or 2 mistakes, at least that could have been done better. But most of the goals were poorly defended by Spain, leaving it almost impossible for De Gea to save. That or the Ronaldo magic in the opening game

Spain went out early cause they couldn't convert their chances, when it comes down to pens it's always a lil random.

And yeah, it has not been awful performances. De Gea has overall played well, but with some errors. He can't always have superhuman performances.

And as I said, Dean is a good keeper, but he also makes errors, we just don't hear about them as often, and as it stands I believe Dean and David are about the same level (David still ahead), but David has the experience so out of the two you expect him to be the one to pull ahead in the coming year(s) for the squeaky bum time matches we'll have when we try to win. I definitely look forward to Dean being our #1 in the future though!
https://www.90min.com/in/posts/6106140-awful-stats-that-describe-david-de-gea-s-world-cup-nightmare

My mistake, it was only the worst goalkeeping performance in a world cup since 1966.

Although, surely you'd agree that that's still pretty shocking for the highest paid player in the biggest league in the world.

Matriac

https://www.90min.com/in/posts/6106140-awful-stats-that-describe-david-de-gea-s-world-cup-nightmare

My mistake, it was only the worst goalkeeping performance in a world cup since 1966.

Although, surely you'd agree that that's still pretty shocking for the highest paid player in the biggest league in the world.
It's hardly his fault if he didn't have to make more saves, he didn't get the chance to. I don't remember the games, but it sounds like Spain's defense was pretty solid. Though as said, on the highlights I just watched, most of the goals conceded came from pretty bad defensive mistakes. And some Ronaldo magic. De Gea could be blamed for 2 of the 6.

NewGuy

I'd love to see Dean in the team but i would not want us to replace DDG just yet , He has saved us too many times to be discarded just like that .

PoTMS

Seriously, Dave is no longer anywhere as good as a United keeper should be anymore. It's too long for it to be a dip in form. Cost his team goals in the Champions League, cost his team goals in the World Cup. Not good enough. Henderson is the future.

Bojan11

Sick of it. De Gea makes a mistake nearly every game now. Romero should have started regardless.

Nero

I'm guessing lots of people haven't seen the goals Henderson has conceded? Whatever you think of De Gea, Henderson isn't the answer.

Tel074

Hardly a huge mistake the defending from Lindelof was shocking . A flick from 6 yards out I wouldn't be blaming my keeper in that situation

Djemba-Djemba

It's really worrying that it seems to always be when the pressure is on too, big matches or important moments.

When we're 2 or 3 nil up he doesn't make mistakes.

It's always when it's 0-0 or we're winning 1-0.

I'm sick of it.

That wasn't really a mistake, but you;d expect the highest paid keeper in the world to keep it out.

Skeezix

This is it. One week of terrific performances (against Crystal Palace) and then clangers in the next week. Rinse and Repeat!! After watching Lloris (who is considered inferior) making terrific saves after saves. I'm done with De Gea. He is costing us CL qualificaiton places and potential Cup Finals. Getting sick of it at this rate.

MonkeysMagic

The depressing thing is with another 45 min we don't ever look like getting back into this game. Elite managers can make things happen but what are we going to get from Ole in sec half?

Bojan11

Give Henderson a season with Romero. Bin De Gea.

If Henderson flops then get Oblak in next year.

Revan

Assumptionman
Give Henderson a season with Romero. Bin De Gea.

If Henderson flops then get Oblak in next year.
Atletico are quite rich. They signed a 19 year player for 125m or something. No way they will sell Oblak.

jesperjaap

I think it shows how alarming DeGeas form has been this season that virtually every other game we play, this thread grows by a page or two.

Wasnt an easy save by any means as little time to react even though close to him, but this is one of several goals he has conceded this season that we wouldnt have seen him concede two years ago.

Maybe there really is reason to release Romero and bring back Henderson not as a number two but to challenge DeGea?