Dean Henderson has to be our #1 next season? Poll added

Who should be our first choice GK next season?

• Total voters

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Good point, but they are supposedly professionals, so that really shouldn't come into it. To me Henderson us a lot more vocal than De Gea, and I don't think would have any qualms about giving any of our defence a b*****king if needed, De Gea doesn't seem a really vocal keeper. I have always thought De Gea for another season, but I have my doubts now. I know Ole has publicly backed De Gea, but he doesn't throw players under a bus like some, and he needs him for two vital games.
Agreed albeit they are professionals, humans are inherently emotional and it will have an effect, it could even be a good one as they might be fed up with his mistakes...

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Until yesterday I was fully in support of De Gea being no.1 next season - he's been in shaky form, but he's earned it over the last 5 years. Send Henderson on loan again, and while I like Romero, I don't think he's good enough to be our regular first choice. So keep him as 2nd-choice.

But, at this point I'd like to see Henderson brought back to compete for the place with De Gea. Dave needs to up his game, and maybe competition is it - and if it isn't, then give Henderson a chance.
Agree with this completely. Let Henderson and DDG fight it out for top spot. DDG hasn’t had a fight for his place in ages, he may improve, or Henderson is given the chance to take it. If neither are good enough we bring in someone new

EwanI Ted

This time last year when De Gea was making mistakes I was fully behind him. However its clear at this point, whatever the cause of these mistakes is, it’s not going away just by giving him more games to play.

De Gea’s problem is that he was only ever ‘good’ at things other than shot stopping and one on ones. In terms of distribution, taking crosses, communicating with his defence, he wasnt a liability, but other keepers have been as good. It was his ability to make truly breathtaking saves week after week that made him stood out. But of course if you take that away, what’s left is just an ordinary goalkeeper. If he becomes a liability at shot stopping, then there’s not much to left to justify him being in the team.

Personally I would bring in Henderson next season. Henderson's YouTube reel is nothing compared to De Gea’s. His saves are good, occasionally great, but no better than any other decent keeper. But his all round game is much more solid than De Gea’s and in particular his communication is stronger, which i think we really need with our defence. We may let in the odd goal that De Gea might have saved (in his prime at least) but I think he’ll make the defence overall much more cohesive, and will probably make fewer high profile errors to boot.

It also keeps with the ethos at the club now, which is to take painful but ruthless to decisions now in order to build a stronger team for the future. Benching De Gea (assuming he couldn’t be sold with his salary level being what it is) would be a bit of a circus next year, but short term troubles didn’t stop us getting rid of Lukaku, Herrera, Fellaini, Smalling etc. Ole rightly figured that it was better to go with a younger player who would eventually be better, even if it meant inconsistency in the short term. Same is true here, better to get Henderson in now, even if he’s a bit inconsistent at first.

Shiva87

I have changed my vote for De Gea after yesterday's game. He seems to have some sort of mentality issue when it comes to crunch games. World cup, end of season last year, FA cup + end of season this year.

He cost us champions league last season and probably the FA cup this season. I don't doubt his ability and he has been great for us, but we need someone in goal who rises to the occasion. Too many times now to consider this an anomaly. It does not even surprise us anymore.

Giflet

After the latest mistake/mistakes I think something needs to change. It’s really becoming a regular occurrence now.

We should bring Henderson back and Ole makes him the league keeper, to start with at least. DDG can still play the cup games. No guarantee yet that Henderson will even cope with the pressure of being number 1 at United. If he can’t, and makes a host of howlers, then DDG is still there to come in. At the end of next season they can then reevaluate. Maybe Henderson has a blinder of a season and nails down the spot. Maybe he doesn’t and he and DDG spend the season making mistakes, in which case we need to look elsewhere.

This plan would probably mean the end of Romero here, as not really room for 3 keepers all warning minutes, but think that’s a sacrifice we’ll have to make. Maybe even send him on loan for a season, if he’s happy with that. As we’d probably be selling one of the two at the end of next season anyway.

We have to give Deano a go. We will lose him otherwise. He’s already 23. We have to give him a chance, he has the talent and his pre lockdown form for Sheff Utd was sensational and looked favourite for the golden glove at one point.

He may step his game up being handed the #1 shirt or he may crumble. It’s impossible to predict but one things for sure DDG cannot continue next season playing 55 games a season. Too many mistakes since WC 2018. We have England’s future #1 in waiting with Chelsea sniffing around him. Let’s give him the chance and see what he can do.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I have changed my vote for De Gea after yesterday's game. He seems to have some sort of mentality issue when it comes to crunch games. World cup, end of season last year, FA cup + end of season this year.

He cost us champions league last season and probably the FA cup this season. I don't doubt his ability and he has been great for us, but we need someone in goal who rises to the occasion. Too many times now to consider this an anomaly. It does not even surprise us anymore.
What do you mean probably cost us the FA Cup? There is no probably. We are out.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Bring in Henderson. I've seen people say that we shouldn't be shuffling gks as it wouldn't do much for Henderson's development but Henderson can be our 1st choice in the league with De Gea for champions league and cup games.

redshaw

How good has Henderson been since the restart?

United's best years are with Peter and VDS, we need someone of that caliber really. VDS was brilliant and I couldn't believe he was at Fulham at the time, he was always a world class keeper and I was thrilled we finally got him in.

paulscholes18

How good has Henderson been since the restart?

United's best years are with Peter and VDS, we need someone of that caliber really. VDS was brilliant and I couldn't believe he was at Fulham at the time, he was always a world class keeper and I was thrilled we finally got him in.
Made some errors vs Arsenal and Newcastle, but he was the only player get get any praise for his performance vs Leicester by his manager, while everyone else got called championship & league 1 standard

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Henderson needs one more season of excellent performances before you consider bringing him into United. It’s not the same pressure playing for Sheffield in the prem as it is for us.

I do believe Henderson can take the mantle one day but I think it’s a bit premature and reactionary to move (at his peak) arguably the best GK we’ve had at the club. He’s made mistakes but so has Henderson they just aren’t under the same scrutiny.

I am however now officially concerned that De Gea is making more high profile errrors than in previous seasons.

Edit: For clarity I am not suggesting De Gea is playing at his peak now more that historically the argument could have been made he was our best ever GK whether or not you agree with that argument at the time was a matter of personal preference.

Jacko21

I don't particularly care who our goalkeeper is for next season. Whether it's Henderson, de Gea, Romero or someone else entirely. Ole and co have to be confidant with their decision.

What I don't want is drama. Or doubts. An unsettled goalkeeping situation can feck with your season. It unnerves the defence and it encourages the opposition.

Devil81

You wouldn't keep playing a striker that missed open goals over and over again, the goalkeeping role is so key to the team as one mistake can undo so much hard work.

As a teammate they must all be growing extremely frustrated with him now, that has to be taken into consideration as well. Martin Keown talks a lot of crap but one point he made makes total sense, if you make a mistake you need your goalkeeper to bail you out of the shit, De Gea isn't doing that.

I wonder if he could do with seeing someone professional about his issue, it's clear he mentally shot to bits. Romero definitely needs to come in now to the weight of De Gea, it would do him more good to sit the rest of the season out and realise something needs to change otherwise his career is as good as over at the top level.

Also, I've seen people mentioning PSG as a possible team we could sell him to, I don't think they'd buy the current De Gea.

RazorOz

Sell Henderson and move De Gea and £ as part of a swap deal for Oblak
Never going to work. Oblak will cost like £100m, because of his wages De Gea probably couldn't even agree terms with Atleti as they probs wouldn't give him half of what he's on here, which would mean we still end up paying half of his wages or he'd be worth effectively nothing because of said wages.

Given the other areas of the team that need investment it's not going to be worth it going big on someone like Oblak. In theory we could pluck someone out cheap who turns out to be brilliant, but then they could just as easily be terrible too. At that point you might as well give Henderson a go as it's the same thing as the 2nd option, except we already own the player.

As is De Gea's contract must be one of the more stupid decisions we've made in recent times, even amongst a sea of stupid decisions, what club makes a goalkeeper there highest paid player? We even gave said contract after an iffy season. I don't know how we were pressured into paying such wages as De Gea's options of clubs he could go were already hugely limited last summer as the main place he wants to go his stock had already collapsed after the world cup. So now we just have a goalkeeper who has been average to say the least for 2 years now as the highest paid goalkeeper in the world by a mile, where on earth is he going to go?

hmchan

Made some errors vs Arsenal and Newcastle, but he was the only player get get any praise for his performance vs Leicester by his manager, while everyone else got called championship & league 1 standard
Henderson certainly has some flaws in his game, but they are nothing really compared to de Gea's howlers. People have been exceptionally tolerant to de Gea's repeated mistakes over the past two years, why can't they show the same leniency to our academic product who is still developing?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Oh wow, that poll was more like 80/20 in favour of DDG before yesterday. Seems to have been the tipping point for many. Would be surprised if Ole cans him for the next two games though.

crossy1686

career ending
Never going to work. Oblak will cost like £100m, because of his wages De Gea probably couldn't even agree terms with Atleti as they probs wouldn't give him half of what he's on here, which would mean we still end up paying half of his wages or he'd be worth effectively nothing because of said wages.

Given the other areas of the team that need investment it's not going to be worth it going big on someone like Oblak. In theory we could pluck someone out cheap who turns out to be brilliant, but then they could just as easily be terrible too. At that point you might as well give Henderson a go as it's the same thing as the 2nd option, except we already own the player.

As is De Gea's contract must be one of the more stupid decisions we've made in recent times, even amongst a sea of stupid decisions, what club makes a goalkeeper there highest paid player? We even gave said contract after an iffy season. I don't know how we were pressured into paying such wages as De Gea's options of clubs he could go were already hugely limited last summer as the main place he wants to go his stock had already collapsed after the world cup. So now we just have a goalkeeper who has been average to say the least for 2 years now as the highest paid goalkeeper in the world by a mile, where on earth is he going to go?
Oblak has a buyout of €100m. If we can raise that money from the sales of De Gea and Henderson then it's worth it.

paulscholes18

Oh wow, that poll was more like 80/20 in favour of DDG before yesterday. Seems to have been the tipping point for many. Would be surprised if Ole cans him for the next two games though.
Yes, can’t see Ole doing what Steve McClaren did in the 08 euro qualifiers when he dropped Paul Robinson for Carson

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Yes, can’t see Ole doing what Steve McClaren did in the 08 euro qualifiers when he dropped Paul Robinson for Carson
Didn't SAF drop Leighton for Sealy back in the day? Vaguely remember a cup final shock line-up.

Oblak has a buyout of €100m. If we can raise that money from the sales of De Gea and Henderson then it's worth it.
No way they'd bring in a combined £100m. I'm intrigued by what DDG's value is- pretty sure the contract he has effectively makes him unsellable.

paulscholes18

Didn't SAF drop Leighton for Sealy back in the day? Vaguely remember a cup final shock line-up.

No way they'd bring in a combined £100m. I'm intrigued by what DDG's value is- pretty sure the contract he has effectively makes him unsellable.
Was that the Palace final Leighton played in the first one then Sealey played in the replay

DDG would clearly be difficult to sell.

You have to consider the clubs who need a keeper, and with Chelsea interested, Henderson could fetch £40-50m this summer.

Gazautd18

Literally came here to see if opinions had changed!

No way we contemplate selling Henderson now surely.
Depends whether we think he’s ready?

Ideally, you think we want to see him be more tested. Would be good to see him at international level.

It would be a risk to put him in as no. 1.

Would we go with him and DDG fighting it out next season?

Clearly If we went for a more established no 1 this summer then Henderson has no future and would need to be sold.

It’s a dilemma that I think the club wanted next summer at the earliest.