Dean Henderson has to be our #1 next season? Poll added

Who should be our first choice GK next season?

• Total voters

Except for Henderson outperforming DDG is pretty much every single metric this season?
At Sheffield United. For one season. It's a totally meaningless comparison. For his own good he needs to follow a proper succession plan instead of daft ideas of giving him the shirt from day 1 of the league season.

SER19

Id change things but my guess is de gea and Henderson will stay where they are for one more season

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
One season doesn’t suddenly make him better overall. I like Henderson a lot. I think one day he will take over. I think next season is absolutely too soon.

Henderson still has a lot to learn before becoming our No1 and he still makes mistakes that De Gea would be slaughtered for. The grass isn’t always greener and I fear that people are too quick to swap out top quality for Young promise.

The few Sheffield United fans I know and trust love Henderson but not one of them has said he’d walk into United’s XI and in fact laughed when it was suggested saying it’d make it easier for them to get champions league in future!
I don't really see the point in loaning him then, if we don't bring him back now, we may as well sell him. He's 23 now, he's young for a keeper, but as said above Chelsea are willing to make him their keeper and they've outperformed us this season.

ROFLUTION

DDG for me. But let all 3 compete next season, to get the best out of De Gea. He's not focused. Competition could change that.

welshwingwizard

DeGea’s problem is that he plays behind an average defence and has done for 7 years. He pulls off a string of World Class saves because he has to in most games. Eventually, he gets caught out and commits a few howlers. He isn't up to the standards of Alison or Ederson, but he’s head and shoulders above anything else we have. I’m sorry, but Maguire is not the answer. Neither is Bailey, Lindelof, Bissaka or Shaw. We need at least two high quality defenders, at which point DeGea would start to look like the player he is again. I wouldn’t mind, but it’s not as if we play open attacking football that leaves the defence exposed. More often than not, particularly against the better teams, we are camped in our own half looking for a breakaway. DeGea is the highest quality’s player in our defence. He has been for years.
I'm not sure on De Gea long term but from that statman twitter thread I took away the same thing. Our defense isn't good enough and the CBs dont work together. Slow and not serially dominant. We need a better defense whatever with the keeper.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I don't really see the point in loaning him then, if we don't bring him back now, we may as well sell him. He's 23 now, he's young for a keeper, but as said above Chelsea are willing to make him their keeper and they've outperformed us this season.
A loan enables him to show he’s not a flash in the pan. Jack Butland once had an outstanding season in the PL at a young age would you want him between the sticks?

I’d like to see Henderson take over eventually but he needs another season of top performances and consistency to prove he can be our No1.

For one he needs to work on his distribution.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
He's a class act and deserves the chance to find his form again.

I would get rid though, if we decide to modernise our playing style into a pressing game, since he's obviously not cut out for that kind of play. And I would very much like to see that change happen. But unless it does, I would show loyalty for a bit longer.

My biggest concern is that he relies on his naturally quick reactions more than most and so he will have the same shelf life as a pacey striker - once the quick twitch muscles go, he's gone too.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
DDG has been fluctating between decent and complete shit for 2 years now. Its high time the club realizes hes past it and is not worth 375,000£/week

He used to be the best shot stopper in the world, but his distribution and dealing with crosses has never been good, and when his shot stopping is mediocre as well he is simply not a very good keeper any longer.

izec

People are weird. As if one game was needed to see De Gea is past it. He plays like this for 2 years and people change their votes now? It should have been like this before the game anyway.

He is done and was so when he signed the contract. I wanted him gone, it was the perfect opportunity to let the contract run down and feck him off. Now we have a problem and a manager that doesn't want to drop him. Next season will be the same. I am tired of it.

Classical Mechanic

One season doesn’t suddenly make him better overall. I like Henderson a lot. I think one day he will take over. I think next season is absolutely too soon.

Henderson still has a lot to learn before becoming our No1 and he still makes mistakes that De Gea would be slaughtered for. The grass isn’t always greener and I fear that people are too quick to swap out top quality for Young promise.

The few Sheffield United fans I know and trust love Henderson but not one of them has said he’d walk into United’s XI and in fact laughed when it was suggested saying it’d make it easier for them to get champions league in future!
It's highly unlikely he'd do worse than DDG for us. He'd have to sink to the levels of the worst keepers in the league for that.

At Sheffield United. For one season. It's a totally meaningless comparison. For his own good he needs to follow a proper succession plan instead of daft ideas of giving him the shirt from day 1 of the league season.
It's not meaningless. It's the same league, same opponents. There's more pressure at United though. I've never said he should have the number 1 shirt from the start. I think they should both be allow a stright shootout for the jersey next season. DDG needs the competition and Henderson deserves a shot at the the shirt.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
No vote from me. I'll let the manager decide this as I played in the field and do not know much about goalkeeping. I would also bet that 99% of you do not know much about the GK position.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
It's highly unlikely he'd do worse than DDG for us. He'd have to sink to the levels of the worst keepers in the league for that.

It's not meaningless. It's the same league, same opponents. There's more pressure at United though. I've never said he should have the number 1 shirt from the start. I think they should both be allow a stright shootout for the jersey next season. DDG needs the competition and Henderson deserves a shot at the the shirt.
Well that’s just a load of bull and you know it. You honestly saying De Gea is one of the worst in the league?

WUM!

Henderson could crumple under the weight of expectation especially with a fickle fan base where a mistake is hounded upon and years of world class service are forgotten in a heartbeat.

Jeez

Lee565

When the season finish and Henderson returns from his loan will he be eligible to play in our europa league campaign, could be a great test to see what he's made of before deciding whether he is ready to stay at the club for the new season?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
A loan enables him to show he’s not a flash in the pan. Jack Butland once had an outstanding season in the PL at a young age would you want him between the sticks?

I’d like to see Henderson take over eventually but he needs another season of top performances and consistency to prove he can be our No1.

For one he needs to work on his distribution.
I don't really see the relevance of Jack Butland, because Henderson has been at the club 5 years and steadily progressed. We know more about him than anyone and why would he go out on loan again, when Chelsea have enquired about him?

De Gea had 1 full season at Atletico before we bought him and then had to adapt, Henderson is older and we know he can handle the league. Improving distribution would be a minor obstacle in comparison if De gea keeps up his current performances.

saivet

If we make Deano as our number 1, who will be our second keeper? Is Romero going to hang about?
I think the safest choice would be DDG as I think we may find it difficult to find a taker for him. It may seem crazy having a no.2 keeper earning that much money but at least if Henderson is appalling we have an experienced keeper to replace him. I think the squad has other priorities and next season should be used to give Henderson the opportunity and we reassess the situation again next summer.

Provided we make CL, we could go down the Barca route of playing one keeper in the league (Bravo?) and the other keeper in Europe and cup competitions (Ter Stegen). Given De Gea's form, it feels crucial that we somehow give Henderson a go next season.

If we make Deano as our number 1, who will be our second keeper? Is Romero going to hang about?
I think he would be more than happy to.

He’s not a young lad awaiting his chance, he’s been at Utd for 5 years with zero prospect of ever being the no 1.

If Henderson is the man to take over from DDG (and that’s a big if), having Romero as no 2 for another couple of years could actually work really well.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
When the season finish and Henderson returns from his loan will he be eligible to play in our europa league campaign, could be a great test to see what he's made of before deciding whether he is ready to stay at the club for the new season?
He isn’t registered is he? Doubt we have a new registration window open for EL? Also Romero deserves to play. He has done well in the cup completions for us albeit against lesser opposition.

Jackal981

Henderson should be absolutely ready. If he’s not, then his level is not United. He is 23 ffs. De Gea came here when he was 21. I dont think he can be worse than De Gea atm unless he intentionally tries to.

EwanI Ted

No vote from me. I'll let the manager decide this as I played in the field and do not know much about goalkeeping. I would also bet that 99% of you do not know much about the GK position.
The idea that only people who have played the game in that exact position are able to have an informed opinion is plainly nonsense.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
I don't really see the relevance of Jack Butland, because Henderson has been at the club 5 years and steadily progressed. We know more about him than anyone and why would he go out on loan again, when Chelsea have enquired about him?

De Gea had 1 full season at Atletico before we bought him and then had to adapt, Henderson is older and we know he can handle the league. Improving distribution would be a minor obstacle in comparison if De gea keeps up his current performances.
Relevance being young GKs can have one good season most do in the PL at some point but it doesn’t make them better than someone who has consistently performed at world class levels.

Henderson has said before he wants to be United no1 I doubt he’d go to Chelsea. Also enquiries could be just paper talk and in fact most likely are.

And during that adaptation time he had someone to compete with. Henderson will not and cannot walk into this side. De Gea is the better GK and Henderson has to prove he’s got what it takes. A good season at Sheffield is a great start but I’d want another one before selling one of the few world class players we’ve had over the years.

sparx99

The thing with Henderson is we have no idea how he'll handle the pressure at United. A few people who have coached him speak very highly of his mentality but until it's tested you just don't know.

Personally, if De Gea was able to find a move I wouldn't stand in his way as we have before but he would have to face the prospect of taking a significant pay cut wherever he goes. I reckon there is a good chance of Oblak to Chelsea and De Gea back to Atletico. From Atletico's perspective, they would possibly get £70-80m for Oblak and would maybe get De Gea for £50m leaving them a chunk of change to strengthen elsewhere. Would PSG be interested in him with Keylor Navas there? Would be kinda funny if Navas had to worry about De Gea being signed again.

Henderson as no1 with Romero in case Henderson struggles could be an option for us.

Edging towards Brexit FC though with a potential back five of Henderson, AWB, Tuanzebe, Maguire, Shaw, and a front three of Sancho, Greenwood, Rashford.

tombombadil

It's shocking that we now have fans rewriting history to try and justify getting rid of one of our best players. And they have the gall to demand loyalty from players at that. The club have been at the mercy of unfounded popular opinion that is manipulated by the cynical media. It's high time the the management team grows some balls and do the right thing to build the club. I hope De Gea stays. A long term transition plan between him and Henderson makes the most sense. Assuming Henderson isn't a one hit wonder.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
It's shocking that we now have fans rewriting history to try and justify getting rid of one of our best players. And they have the gall to demand loyalty from players at that. The club have been at the mercy of unfounded popular opinion that is manipulated by the cynical media. It's high time the the management team grows some balls and do the right thing to build the club. I hope De Gea stays. A long term transition plan between him and Henderson makes the most sense. Assuming Henderson isn't a one hit wonder.
Agreed this forum becomes toxic whenever a mistake is made by anyone.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Totally agree. It's so toxic. I've seen so many great players and loyal servants dragged through the mud. But it just seems to be getting worse. It's a mob mentality and it's getting out of control. I stopped reading for quite a long time because of it.
And the annoying thing is that you could bring up numerous times we’ve been saved even this season by De Gea and the response would be “he’s a GK he’s supposed to make saves” or “it’s his job”.

It’s draining to actually be someone positive about the team so far who accepts mistakes happen. I’m of course not happy with how De Gea performed yesterday it was a poor performance but it’s not indicative of his season as we wouldn’t have gone on a 19 game unbeaten run if he was as shocking as some would make out. The fact is more fans will have watched that match because it was on the BBC and so they see one bad game live and the knives are out.

Strelok

Based on what Henderson and DDG has done this season it's clear af that Henderson, if wouldn't be considered our 1st choice next season, at the least deserve a shot. Let him start for a few games and see. DDG has basically no competition now and it's definitely not good either for him nor the team.

People are weird. As if one game was needed to see De Gea is past it. He plays like this for 2 years and people change their votes now? It should have been like this before the game anyway.

He is done and was so when he signed the contract. I wanted him gone, it was the perfect opportunity to let the contract run down and feck him off. Now we have a problem and a manager that doesn't want to drop him. Next season will be the same. I am tired of it.
Imo Ole will drop him next season when we have better options. I just don't buy the talk of him fancy anyone more than the sake of the club. He'd be stupid af to repeat the very same mistake of Jose with Sanchez and Lukaku. Look at Lingard now after the signing of Bruno. Many here said he was Ole's boy but now he doesn't even make the bench.

tombombadil

And the annoying thing is that you could bring up numerous times we’ve been saved even this season by De Gea and the response would be “he’s a GK he’s supposed to make saves” or “it’s his job”.

It’s draining to actually be someone positive about the team so far who accepts mistakes happen. I’m of course not happy with how De Gea performed yesterday it was a poor performance but it’s not indicative of his season as we wouldn’t have gone on a 19 game unbeaten run if he was as shocking as some would make out. The fact is more fans will have watched that match because it was on the BBC and so they see one bad game live and the knives are out.
Yeah. I know what you mean. I'm gutted at the result and frustrated by the mistake. But I still understand we got that 19 game run partly because of De Gea's contributions.

Agree with you on that BBC bit. And immediately after, social media goes on a rampage. The mob with their pitchforks and flaming torches.

We need an rvn

I think we know as much about the GK position than we do any position as arm chair watchers and amateur footballers. Keeper job to stop ball from going in net. Striker job put ball in net. Left winger run on left side of pitch up and down etc.

keithsingleton

My vote went on De Gea based on I've not seen Deano play enough to have a honest opinion. I believe if what we read in the gutter media / press he wants No1 status. That's a tall order he's asking if true.

Surely he should jump at being No2 and playing cup games as well as one or two premier league games not only to settle himself in but at the same time proving that he actually is good enough to fill De Gea's boots.

It can be said on De Gea's performances throughout 2020 he deserves a chance. However, for me realistically he can only come in as a No2. Let's not forget Romero has done nothing wrong as our No2 so he's going to be p!ssed off losing his tag.

Classical Mechanic

Well that’s just a load of bull and you know it. You honestly saying De Gea is one of the worst in the league?

WUM!

Henderson could crumple under the weight of expectation especially with a fickle fan base where a mistake is hounded upon and years of world class service are forgotten in a heartbeat.

Jeez
This season statistically DDG has been below average to among the worst in the league by various measures. Henderson has been one of the best.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
This season statistically DDG has been below average to among the worst in the league by various measures. Henderson has been one of the best.
Show me what specific areas he is the worst at.

I’d love to see how terrible he’s been.

One season doesn’t make him the worst around as you’ve suggested anyone would be better. You’re being a WUM by making that comment.

EwanI Ted

To be fair the stats dont appear to back that up. See this thread that was posted earlier today by @crossy1686

In a nutshell, his shot stopping has been well below his best, especially having been so outstanding in previous years. He's stopping shots that you would expect a goalkeeper to save, but not much more than that. The decline is pretty obvious, the issue is whether he can turn it around.

Classical Mechanic

Amerifan

If Dean starts next season watch how quickly he’s ‘not good enough’ and there’s a poll to replace him. :houllier:

tombombadil

By that measure, we should get Lukas Fabianski as he is the best goalkeeper in the league. :lol:. And De Gea is still nowhere near the worst.

Seems there is a lot of hyperbole going on and not much substance. He's poor compared to his best, yes. But that doesn't mean we immediately throw him out. And it also doesn't magically mean he is a shit keeper either.

Classical Mechanic

By that measure, we should get Lukas Fabianski as he is the best goalkeeper in the league. :lol:. And De Gea is still nowhere near the worst.
How do you work that out?

Whilst he's done well for West Ham this year against his xGA the other chart shows him as the least 'commanding' keeper in the league, worse than DDG, and he's already proven himself to be poor at a top club despite being highly rated. I don't know that much about him but is he good with his feet? There are many aspects to goalkeeping. De Gea is actually very limited but was this incredible shot stopper but now that has disappeared, what are you left with?

UDontMessWith24

Forget the likes of Obalak and some of the better keepers that play abroad for a second. Is Henderson better than Nick Pope?

jem

What about getting in another keeper? Why does it have to be either DDG or Henderson, particularly if there are serious doubts as whether Henderson is good enough?